Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 8:38am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Dave Hewett Not Coming Back
Posted By: SA14
Subject: Dave Hewett Not Coming Back
Date Posted: 04 March 2005 at 4:24pm

from scarlets site

DAVE HEWETT
Former All Black prop Dave Hewett will not be rejoining the Llanelli Scarlets next season.

The Scarlets have agreed to release Dave to take up a contract with Edinburgh Rugby.

Scarlets Chief Executive, Stuart Gallacher, said: “We wish Dave every success in the future.”

Replies:
Posted By: KID A
Date Posted: 04 March 2005 at 4:26pm
Is that as much of a blow as I think at the moment or is it best we let a 34 year old go and get soem young whippersnapper (good word) in?

Posted By: rugbymafia
Date Posted: 04 March 2005 at 4:30pm

Should never have signed him anyway. I dont like the idea of signing all these foriegn players.

-------------
Im the boss.

Posted By: connor boy
Date Posted: 04 March 2005 at 4:39pm
he must have had enough of the **** said about him here.

-------------
Pigeon Toed Orange Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel..........

Posted By: yedarts
Date Posted: 04 March 2005 at 4:55pm
Embarrassing.

Posted By: mc scarlet
Date Posted: 04 March 2005 at 5:10pm

-------------
Are you the real radio renegade!?

Posted By: Micro Duck
Date Posted: 04 March 2005 at 5:32pm
Why o why do we sign players before watching them? At least we've watched Hottie Louw, which is something. Smacks of poor management.

-------------
New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/

Date Posted: 04 March 2005 at 6:07pm
well if you can tell he was rubbish by the two games he had your a good un.

-------------

Posted By: s.pimpernel
Date Posted: 04 March 2005 at 6:23pm

Originally posted by Micro Duck Micro Duck wrote:

Why o why do we sign players before watching them? At least we've watched Hottie Louw, which is something. Smacks of poor management.

No, this smacks of exceptionally poor management

Date Posted: 04 March 2005 at 6:24pm

Originally posted by connor boy connor boy wrote:

I saw enough against the Ospreys to know that he was not that good. The fact that Anthony Buchanan was laughing with embarrasment at him at half time on the box didn`t help his cause either.

Date Posted: 04 March 2005 at 6:30pm
well if you could tell what he was like after 60 Min's or so any chance of the numbers on sat LOTTERY

-------------

Posted By: redeyes
Date Posted: 04 March 2005 at 6:37pm

i agree with that statement! however could it be we have a better prop lined up for next season?

-------------
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

Date Posted: 04 March 2005 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by redeyes redeyes wrote:

i agree with that statement! however could it be we have a better prop lined up for next season?

now if i could answer your statement i'd be doing from the CRIBEAN MANNNNNNNN.

-------------

Posted By: Pan handle
Date Posted: 04 March 2005 at 7:00pm
This doesnt surprise me i said he wasnt up to much from the start!

Posted By: Abbey
Date Posted: 04 March 2005 at 7:12pm

This is nothing new.

I seem to remember an overseas prop making his debut at Aberavon in the same game that saw Finau play for us for the first time. He didn't play another game as he was released (after being touted as a "tremendous" signing). The management have a history of bringing in players either without ever watching them play or recruiting badly/wildly and then releasing them without giving them a chance. Remeber Peter Francis, Matthew McCarthy, Steve Martin & Pat Horgan.

It just beggars belief in the continual denials from the club that Hewitt wasn't coming back, and declaring how pleased they were with him. It seems obvious that his only interest was coming to the UK with a fat paycheck if he's gone to Edinburgh instead.

As redeyes says, perhaps someone else is lined up? (Please, there MUST be someone lined up, surely????)

Date Posted: 04 March 2005 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

This is nothing new.

I seem to remember an overseas prop making his debut at Aberavon in the same game that saw Finau play for us for the first time. He didn't play another game as he was released (after being touted as a "tremendous" signing). The management have a history of bringing in players either without ever watching them play or recruiting badly/wildly and then releasing them without giving them a chance. Remeber Peter Francis, Matthew McCarthy, Steve Martin & Pat Horgan.

It just beggars belief in the continual denials from the club that Hewitt wasn't coming back, and declaring how pleased they were with him. It seems obvious that his only interest was coming to the UK with a fat paycheck if he's gone to Edinburgh instead.

As redeyes says, perhaps someone else is lined up? (Please, there MUST be someone lined up, surely????)

he must have gone for moneybut for people to say he's rubbish when he did'nt finnish one of the two  he was in

-------------

Posted By: Pedro Diniz
Date Posted: 04 March 2005 at 7:53pm

Remeber Peter Francis

Are you on about the ex Maesteg and (possibly) Wales A prop??

This topic had my name written all over it - as I was the dunce who had his name and number on my top. Always seemed likely that he'd leave, but again he wasn't eased into things was he? We as a club always expect our new players, no matter how big a name they are, to sh*t miracles, Arwel being a prime example. Perhaps instead of Hewett warming his bum in Scotland during the HC when he wasn't registered to play, he should have been utilised in one of the semi pro sides, toughen him up a bit, then when he'd play vs the Ospreys, he'd know about Welsh forward play a bit more than he did at the time. I wish him all the best in Edinburgh - does his contract start straight away?? But I do think if we'd handled him better, then he'd be a Scarlet next season.

-------------
"I can't see the Germans getting back into this...they've only got Kuntz up front..."
(Alan Hansen, during Euro 96).

Posted By: bin laden
Date Posted: 04 March 2005 at 8:54pm

pedro,

please do us a favour and keep your shirts nameless from now on,you jinx.

-------------
Yes,I am back with a stewards view on things.

Posted By: Taffscarlet
Date Posted: 04 March 2005 at 9:01pm

Originally posted by Pedro Diniz Pedro Diniz wrote:

Remeber Peter Francis

Or are you on about Jason Barrell? Another fantastic S12 import!

-------------
Daw dydd y bydd mawr y rhai bychain

Daw dydd ni bydd mwy y rhai mawr.

Posted By: nm2jonathann
Date Posted: 04 March 2005 at 9:40pm

Remeber Peter Francis

This topic had my name written all over it - as I was the dunce who had his name and number on my top. Always seemed likely that he'd leave, but again he wasn't eased into things was he? We as a club always expect our new players, no matter how big a name they are, to sh*t miracles, Arwel being a prime example. Perhaps instead of Hewett warming his bum in Scotland during the HC when he wasn't registered to play, he should have been utilised in one of the semi pro sides, toughen him up a bit, then when he'd play vs the Ospreys, he'd know about Welsh forward play a bit more than he did at the time. I wish him all the best in Edinburgh - does his contract start straight away?? But I do think if we'd handled him better, then he'd be a Scarlet next season.

Totally agree pedro, everyone has got to understand that DH came from his then pre-season and was chucked into our most important and crucial part of the season, first game being a crucial boxing day game at the Gnoll! There is hell of a difference between playing prop in a southern hemisphere game to a northern hempisphere one! the guy should have been named as a replacement for the regional or furthermore givin a go at playing semi-pro level just to get him used to our game! But one thing i have got to say, he surely resurrected John Davies's career, who has been a totally different player since DH was signed! All the best to you in Edinburgh, and furthermore best of luck to Dave Duley tommorrow against Pooler!!!

Date Posted: 04 March 2005 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by bin laden bin laden wrote:

pedro,

Worked with Easterby, though.....

-------------
"I can't see the Germans getting back into this...they've only got Kuntz up front..."

Posted By: bin laden
Date Posted: 04 March 2005 at 9:50pm

Originally posted by bin laden bin laden wrote:

pedro,

Worked with Easterby, though.....
ok,no more front rows then.

-------------
Yes,I am back with a stewards view on things.

Date Posted: 04 March 2005 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Taffscarlet Taffscarlet wrote:

Remeber Peter Francis

Or are you on about Jason Barrell? Another fantastic S12 import!

Both!!

Peter Francis - Yes, the Maesteg prop. He was a full international, signed amongst much trumpeting and then discarded shortly afterwards.

Jason Barrell - Yes, that's the one I mean in the other part of my post. I'd forgotten his name but never his performance! Aberavon were relegation fodder and pushed us around all afternoon in the scrums. I also think we lost the game (when everyone else was gaining cricket scores against them).

Date Posted: 05 March 2005 at 12:46am

Remeber Peter Francis

So you wanted a Super 12 and All Black player to toughen up in the semi pros???????

Doesn`t this suggestion ring any alarm bells for you??????

No one asked him to s**t miracles as you put it. He was an experienced prop who allegedly came highly recommended and he played like they had just got someone off the tanner bank 5mins before kick off who had never played prop in their life. 

Posted By: Jerry Dammers
Date Posted: 05 March 2005 at 10:01am

I can't see how semi pro rugby could toughen anyone up, there's a noticable gap between prem/celtic league. If someone's coming back from injury then fine, a good a place as any to get a bit of fitness up, but toughening up? Chris Wyatt played for the RFC side earlier this season, only mentioning it because he was so far in front of players on both sides (tactically and fitness) it was obvious there is a big gap, not many can bridge it successfully. It's not difficult for an experienced player to look good in the semi pros, it's consistency in the step up that determines multi faceted discipline.   

Hewitt didn't hack it, that's the gist of it, same as Arwel, another experienced pro who should have made the most of his opportunities and not wory about comments from the terrace (a good pro would let them go over his head anyway). Live and learn, next please!

Date Posted: 05 March 2005 at 10:13am
Originally posted by mr lloyd evans mr lloyd evans wrote:

I can't see how semi pro rugby could toughen anyone up, there's a noticable gap between prem/celtic league. If someone's coming back from injury then fine, a good a place as any to get a bit of fitness up, but toughening up? Chris Wyatt played for the RFC side earlier this season, only mentioning it because he was so far in front of players on both sides (tactically and fitness) it was obvious there is a big gap, not many can bridge it successfully. It's not difficult for an experienced player to look good in the semi pros, it's consistency in the step up that determines multi faceted discipline.   

Hewitt didn't hack it, that's the gist of it, same as Arwel, another experienced pro who should have made the most of his opportunities and not wory about comments from the terrace (a good pro would let them go over his head anyway). Live and learn, next please!

its easier said than done though"hacking it" and even harder if your not finnishing the games live &learnthats just itthough some supporters expect players to perform at a click of a finger,yes some do but more often or some dont he did'nt,just goes to show how spineless the ones in charge are not to give a fair crack of the whip,i wonder what would have happened if he came on the same times has our seasoned players did,but there again we'll never know i wish himall the best.  

-------------

Date Posted: 05 March 2005 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

Remeber Peter Francis

So you wanted a Super 12 and All Black player to toughen up in the semi pros???????

Doesn`t this suggestion ring any alarm bells for you??????

No one asked him to s**t miracles as you put it. He was an experienced prop who allegedly came highly recommended and he played like they had just got someone off the tanner bank 5mins before kick off who had never played prop in their life. 

I'd agree with the last bit, im just amazed that he didnt have any serious back/neck injury after Ducun Jones made hewwett look a little boy on boxing day.

Posted By: Pwllender
Date Posted: 05 March 2005 at 1:25pm

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but was'nt Hewett in pre-season when he joined us ?  - So the Guy is not match fit to start with and then we throw him in against the Ospreys ? - thats fair enough then - IMO He should have been given more match practice - It does'nt matter what level you play - Training is a lot different from match practice.

I also think that when Wyatt was sent up to play against Newbridge this season it may have been a gentle kick up the harris, because since then IMO he's come back a stronger character.

-------------
APATHY, ITS BORING.

Date Posted: 05 March 2005 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Pwllender Pwllender wrote:

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but was'nt Hewett in pre-season when he joined us ?  - So the Guy is not match fit to start with and then we throw him in against the Ospreys ? - thats fair enough then - IMO He should have been given more match practice - It does'nt matter what level you play - Training is a lot different from match practice.

I also think that when Wyatt was sent up to play against Newbridge this season it may have been a gentle kick up the harris, because since then IMO he's come back a stronger character.

agreed, how many games did he have? two? three?

it was the argument earlier in the season with the internationals.  the 'fringe' players weren't having match practice whilst on international duty, like pwllender said, training and playing are different. especially when it's a different 'type' of rugby than new zealand

Posted By: Jerry Dammers
Date Posted: 05 March 2005 at 2:25pm

People said Arwel had an uphill battle when he signed due to his past etc, Hewitt was in the same boat but diffeently, he was lauded as a super 12 player/All Black etc, some people even had his name printed on shirts (not a personal dig Ped!), when he appeared it was patently obvious he wasn't going to live up to expectations. Some people are trying to justify their initial excitment with his arrival, with the fact that something didn't click.

And yes, I was one of those who welcomed his signing (look for the post!), I didn't think he was going to be the next messiah, I even stated (if I remember) that he was slightly on the older end of signings we shouldn't be making, but because I felt a player of his experience would be a valuable asset for younger players to learn from, I welcomed the choice.

Arwel failed not because of the fans (a ludicrous suggestion) but because his mental approach was not right, and he was blatantly not firing on all cylinders, Hewitt had a baptism of fire and blew it. Simple as.

Aled Gravelle was thrown in right at the deep end in the cup against Neath a couple of seasons ago, everyone wrote us off due to player absence etc, there was bad blood in the air from Cuddy due to the stand alone victory, Gravelle played out of his skin and was perhaps the major factor in that victory. My point is you either give it 100% and prove your worth, or you show you're just there for the ride and the money. You either have it or you don't.

Date Posted: 05 March 2005 at 6:59pm
It doesnt matter what excuses you try to find for the guy, the bottom line is he is a super 12 and ex all black he is also a prop forward so should have some degree of strengh he showed absolutely no indication of that what so ever in any of his time with the club. Good luck and good bye!

Posted By: Alan
Date Posted: 05 March 2005 at 7:11pm
So who do we get instead.....................Mr. Horsman please!!!!

Posted By: MikeM
Date Posted: 05 March 2005 at 7:36pm
Didn't think much of Duley today either.

-------------
Through Thick And Thin!

Posted By: Alan
Date Posted: 05 March 2005 at 8:57pm
Duley was indeed very disappointing today. Didn't see him take one line out, he made some good tackles but his handling wasn't great - certainly no better than Adam Jones or Bryn Griffiths!!

Date Posted: 06 March 2005 at 6:44am

Cheers Pwll, the point I was trying to make. The bloke needed match practice BEFORE being dumped in the deep end, and wasn't given it.

-------------

Posted By: salmidach
Date Posted: 06 March 2005 at 8:44am
connor boy. I think that Hewitt was an absolute waste of money. I understand where you are coming from, in that he didn't get enough exposure, but he couldn't scrummage. He might have been up against an international in curly locks jones at the ospreys, but he himself is an international and should have at least competed.

-------------
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett

Date Posted: 06 March 2005 at 9:31am

i thought he had'nt play for a few wks

Cheers Pwll, the point I was trying to make. The bloke needed match practice BEFORE being dumped in the deep end, and wasn't given it.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 March 2005 at 9:37am

agree with everything the both of you said and its what i've been trying to say for a while ,yeah ok he may be **** but we should have give hime a chance to see what he had before getting rid of him.

-------------

Posted By: salmidach
Date Posted: 06 March 2005 at 10:05am

agree with everything the both of you said and its what i've been trying to say for a while ,yeah ok he may be **** but we should have give hime a chance to see what he had before getting rid of him.

Possibly, but paying him all that money just to see if he's got what it takes, when on one of his appearances he just plainly wasn't nowhere near the grade. he came here, had his trial and wasn't good enough. I know this has been stated before but i have to re-iterate the point that, Hewitt obviously wanted to come to the UK for a last pay-off, didn't make it with the scarlets so has signed for Edinburgh instead...

-------------
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett

Date Posted: 06 March 2005 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

Possibly, but paying him all that money just to see if he's got what it takes, when on one of his appearances he just plainly wasn't nowhere near the grade. he came here, had his trial and wasn't good enough. I know this has been stated before but i have to re-iterate the point that, Hewitt obviously wanted to come to the UK for a last pay-off, didn't make it with the scarlets so has signed for Edinburgh instead...

Most of the reports I have read in the English press show him joining straight from Canterbury, so it begs the question if he ever had a Scarlets contract in the first place.

I have a funny feeling that after his Ospreys debacle, it was quickly decided that he was not needed but nothing was said so that certain people who trumpeted his coming would not be shown up.

Date Posted: 06 March 2005 at 4:43pm
If we had the money to throw at an ex-All Black, then it would be far better used to tempt Horsman from Worcester. I'm also sure that the WRU would take much more interest in our desire to sign a player who has committed himself to being a Welsh international rather than a S12 reserve looking for his final paycheck.

Date Posted: 06 March 2005 at 5:32pm

If we had the money to throw at an ex-All Black, then it would be far better used to tempt Horsman from Worcester. I'm also sure that the WRU would take much more interest in our desire to sign a player who has committed himself to being a Welsh international rather than a S12 reserve looking for his final paycheck.
he was'nt on the seen then though was he?

-------------

Posted By: Pwllender
Date Posted: 06 March 2005 at 5:37pm
We should have looked at him last year when the Warriors broke up.

-------------
APATHY, ITS BORING.

Date Posted: 06 March 2005 at 5:54pm

We should have looked at both Horsman and gethin Jenkins, who has been outstanding for Wales in the 6 nations

.......................sorry I forgot, Gareth Jenkins was the only coach in the village who didn`t know they were breaking up!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 06 March 2005 at 6:02pm

We should have looked at both Horsman and gethin Jenkins, who has been outstanding for Wales in the 6 nations

.......................sorry I forgot, Gareth Jenkins was the only coach in the village who didn`t know they were breaking up!!!!!!!!!

Mmmm!!!!!!!!

-------------

Posted By: al25
Date Posted: 06 March 2005 at 7:29pm

horseman please gj if theres the ambition to be the very best as we keep hearing from the likes of gj,sg,he,+if huw evans is making more money available then we should be going out and getting players like horseman.I doubt the wru will help though because we dont play in blue and black and in the capital

Date Posted: 06 March 2005 at 9:00pm

just stating the obvious here, but if we've got the money weneed a 10.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 March 2005 at 10:05pm

As you say, that is stating the obvious and I assume that our competent (?) management realise this,       BUT..................... the prop that has set the standard in the ZP this season wants to play for Wales and lives in Porthcawl. We need him. Simple as that. The Ospreys have the dish-mops and the Blues have Yapp and Jenkins. We have a 30-something farmer and an ex-Welsh international.

Date Posted: 06 March 2005 at 11:29pm

Not being funny or anything but who has said that we have??????????????????????????

Date Posted: 07 March 2005 at 8:05am

Not being funny or anything but who has said that we have??????????????????????????

nobody has said we have, but with the clear out of players at the end of this season surely there will be money available.

-------------

Posted By: al25
Date Posted: 07 March 2005 at 8:47am
on the official website huw evans released a statment about a month ago saying he was more commited than ever and that more money would be made available dont know if he meant his own or what

Posted By: TonduTurk
Date Posted: 07 March 2005 at 9:47am
the reason hewitt didn't perform is that he was a loose head and we played him at tight head.

end of story.

Date Posted: 07 March 2005 at 9:51am

it would have been great to sign him but i don't think he would have signed for any welsh region at the time, as he said he was "disillusioned with welsh rugby and the closure of the warriors left a very bad taste in my mouth"

Date Posted: 07 March 2005 at 10:42am

Originally posted by TonduTurk TonduTurk wrote:

the reason hewitt didn't perform is that he was a loose head and we played him at tight head.

end of story.

actually, one of his main 'selling' points was that he could play on both sides of the scrum

Date Posted: 07 March 2005 at 10:48am
Originally posted by jarr jarr wrote:

the reason hewitt didn't perform is that he was a loose head and we played him at tight head. end of story.

actually, one of his main 'selling' points was that he could play on both sides of the scrum

in the super 12. not in european rugby (totally different)

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 07 March 2005 at 1:58pm
From what little I saw (OK, hard to make a certain judgement) Hewett did not look comfortable as a tight head.

We still have two good loose heads (Iestyn Thomas & Phil John) - what we need is an excellent tight head to shadow (or take over from) the evergreen John Davies.

Someone like Chris Horsman, for example... if we could afford him.

Date Posted: 07 March 2005 at 3:28pm

the reason hewitt didn't perform is that he was a loose head and we played him at tight head. end of story.

Do they scrummage differently in the super 12's then

-------------
Through Thick And Thin!

Posted By: KID A
Date Posted: 07 March 2005 at 3:41pm
I don't think it's vastly different either. Your either good enough or not. Don't see too many wasps fans complain about Craig Dowd.

Date Posted: 07 March 2005 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by beanboy beanboy wrote:

I don't think it's vastly different either. Your either good enough or not. Don't see too many wasps fans complain about Craig Dowd.

Me neither. When was that last time you saw a European side pushing NZ, Aus or SA off the ball?

Date Posted: 07 March 2005 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Lino Lino wrote:

Do they scrummage differently in the super 12's then

in super 12 they don't put as much emphasis on scrummaging - it's just a way of getting the ball back into play to score tries. hewett was a really good loose head (24 caps for the all blacks) but you only had to look at him to see he wasn't a tight head - he was a slim 6ft 3in bloke, compare him to adam jones or chris horseman - he was more like a flanker than a tighthead which is why he got screwed when he played tight head against a very good loose head like duncan jones.

Date Posted: 07 March 2005 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by beanboy beanboy wrote:

I don't think it's vastly different either. Your either good enough or
not. Don't see too many wasps fans complain about Craig Dowd.

hewett was good enough to play 24 times for n.z.

wasps don't complain about dowd because he's a tight head playing at tight head

Date Posted: 07 March 2005 at 4:17pm

in super 12 they don't put as much emphasis on scrummaging - it's just a way of getting the ball back into play to score tries. hewett was a really good loose head (24 caps for the all blacks) but you only had to look at him to see he wasn't a tight head - he was a slim 6ft 3in bloke, compare him to adam jones or chris horseman - he was more like a flanker than a tighthead which is why he got screwed when he played tight head against a very good loose head like duncan jones.

Horsman isn't that big. It's technique as much as anything.

Date Posted: 07 March 2005 at 4:18pm

Make your mind up. Either he was playing out of position OR he's not used to real scrummaging.

Date Posted: 07 March 2005 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by yedarts yedarts wrote:

in super 12 they don't put as much emphasis on
scrummaging - it's just a way of getting the ball back into play to
score tries. hewett was a really good loose head (24 caps for the all
blacks) but you only had to look at him to see he wasn't a tight head -
he was a slim 6ft 3in bloke, compare him to adam jones or chris
horseman - he was more like a flanker than a tighthead which is why he
got screwed when he played tight head against a very good loose head
like duncan jones.

i've met them both and horsman is a lot bigger than hewett.

my original point was that you can't play a loosehead at tighthead. maybe his selling point was that he could play both sides but obviously he was prooved wrong.

Date Posted: 07 March 2005 at 4:28pm

Make your mind up. Either he was playing out of position OR he's not used to real scrummaging.

it's the same thing - he was out of position, and playing tighthead is totally different to playing loosehead as you're scrummaging agianst 2 blokes instead of one.

Date Posted: 07 March 2005 at 4:30pm

in super 12 they don't put as much emphasis on
scrummaging - it's just a way of getting the ball back into play to
score tries. hewett was a really good loose head (24 caps for the all
blacks) but you only had to look at him to see he wasn't a tight head -
he was a slim 6ft 3in bloke, compare him to adam jones or chris
horseman - he was more like a flanker than a tighthead which is why he
got screwed when he played tight head against a very good loose head
like duncan jones.

my original point was that you can't play a loosehead at tighthead. maybe his selling point was that he could play both sides but obviously he was prooved wrong.

I think Gethin Jenkins will disagree with you there

-------------
Through Thick And Thin!

Date Posted: 07 March 2005 at 4:33pm

maybe his selling point was that he could play both sides but obviously he was prooved wrong.

I think this is the main point. It sounds to me as though he was signed purely on reputation. It's about time we realised that just because someone has played for NZ doesn't mean that they are better than players we have here in Wales.

Not according to http://www.wrfc.co.uk/chris_horsman.asp - http://www.wrfc.co.uk/chris_horsman.asp and http://www.scottishrugby.org/proteam/edinburgh/news.cfm?&action=newsstory&newsid=13932 - http://www.scottishrugby.org/proteam/edinburgh/news.cfm?& ; ;action=newsstory&newsid=13932 . Same height. Hewett half a stone heavier.

Date Posted: 07 March 2005 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Lino Lino wrote:

i've met them both and horsman is a lot bigger than hewett. my original point was that you can't play a loosehead at tighthead. maybe his selling point was that he could play both sides but obviously he was prooved wrong.

I think Gethin Jenkins will disagree with you there

gethins a great player but i think he always struggles when he plays tighthead. which is exactly what happened in france v wales - france screwed us in the scrum in the first half and pushed us off our ball, then their loose head went to tighthead in the second half and we held our own in the scrum

Date Posted: 07 March 2005 at 4:48pm

maybe his selling point was that he could play both sides
but obviously he was prooved wrong.

I think this is the main point. It sounds to me as though he was signed
purely on reputation. It's about time we realised that just because
someone has played for NZ doesn't mean that they are better than
players we have here in Wales.

Not according to
http://www.wrfc.co.uk/chris_horsman.asp - http://www.wrfc.co.uk/chris_horsman.asp
and
http://www.scottishrugby.org/proteam/edinburgh/news.cfm?&action=newsstory&newsid=13932 - http://www.scottishrugby.org/proteam/edinburgh/news.cfm?& ; ;action=newsstory&newsid=13932 .
Same height. Hewett half a stone heavier.

you're right about reputation, i was told by a n.z. journalist that duley is a 'pup' and his agent was touting him around all the club reps. / agents during the 2003 world cup and nobody wanted him. the journalist (who is a fan of the scarlets) said he was really worried who was vetting our buys.

you don't really believe the player stats do you ? i remebr s.q. saying on the rugby club once "is that the players actual weight or his weight listed in the club programme" ?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net