Forum Description: Topics relating to Llandovery
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41102
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 11:36am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Development at llandovery
Posted By: Drover1000
Subject: Development at llandovery
Date Posted: 19 April 2015 at 10:42pm
Over the years Llandovery have developed and brought on some great youngsters such as josh turnbull, george North, Rhodri Williams, emyr Phillips, Wyn jones, phill day etc. Do you think more funding should be given to this feader club in order to produce similar talent in the future?

Replies:
Posted By: Westwalian
Date Posted: 22 May 2015 at 11:00pm
I don't know how much funding is going towards them from the Scarlets, but can't deny that they've produced a good amount of Scarlets players for the squad! additionally they finished ahead of Llanelli this season

-------------
Defender of Priestland

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 12:51am
Originally posted by Drover1000 Drover1000 wrote:

Over the years Llandovery have developed and brought on some great youngsters such as josh turnbull, george North, Rhodri Williams, emyr Phillips, Wyn jones, phill day etc. Do you think more funding should be given to this feader club in order to produce similar talent in the future?
As a region we've barely a pot to piss in let alone fund the feeder clubs further. 

While I appreciate the work our feeder clubs do and have done in the past we simply cannot afford to fund our first team let alone teams further down the chain unfortunately.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2022

Posted By: hoppy
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 2:18am
Don,t premiership clubs get equal funding from WRU Hundred Grand Each.

Posted By: kcreg
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 7:58am
isn't the owner of specsavers funding all academy and development at the scarlets?

-------------
I WAS THERE-LIBERTY STADIUM 11/9/07 & 26/3/16

OSPREYS 9-SCARLETS 14!
OSPEYS 16-SCARLETS 25!

Posted By: Once a monkey
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 8:19am
Brecon won their league this year. Pretty much because half of the Drovers second team left and joined a Div 3 team. Lots of unhappy campers in LLandovery, a Prem team struggling for a 2nd team. Amazing achievement to be where they are, but shouldn't be there. Lost their roots, a committee living on vicarious glory

-------------
#George

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 8:35am
how many of the players you list have actually come through the ranks at llandovery?

Getting a player when he is 18/19 when he is at the scarlets academy.  Then having him for the first team playing a few games and then going into the scarlets first team squad,  is different to having him since is a kid and bringing him through the age groups.

In their defence they are doing very well and should be applauded for their improv,ents  but I also think they are pretty well funded as it is and are able to recruit players and pay them a decent wage

Their main worry will be if their departing head coach, takes many top players with him to aberavon, not needing more money

Posted By: Dan the Drover
Date Posted: 28 May 2015 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Once a monkey Once a monkey wrote:

Brecon won their league this year. Pretty much because half of the Drovers second team left and joined a Div 3 team. Lots of unhappy campers in LLandovery, a Prem team struggling for a 2nd team. Amazing achievement to be where they are, but shouldn't be there. Lost their roots, a committee living on vicarious glory

The Drovers petitioned the WRU, unsuccessfully, for their 2nds teams to be allowed to play in the league at a lower level.  That is evidently against the rules, and so for fringe players who want and need to be tested, playing for the 2nds doesn't make any sense, alas.  I imagine it's the same for any small community club trying to field a full complement of teams.  You can see why the top clubs don't (and to be fair, never have).

What Llandovery needs, I reckon, is a separate club that just happens to share the ground and facilities - isn't that what Carmarthen did?  We could even call it Llandovery Athletic if that wasn't the name of the current 2nds.

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 28 May 2015 at 4:01pm
I thought the wru had a rule that the top teams in the prem must be able to field a 2nds team??

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Date Posted: 28 May 2015 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

I thought the wru had a rule that the top teams in the prem must be able to field a 2nds team??

Don't think so.  Does Llanelli RFC?

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 28 May 2015 at 4:32pm
I always thought it was. Maybe it was before the game turned professional.

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Date Posted: 28 May 2015 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Dan the Drover Dan the Drover wrote:

Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Don't think so.  Does Llanelli RFC?

not to my knowledge, I don;t think bridgend or newport do either and I guess a few more don;t

Date Posted: 28 May 2015 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

not to my knowledge, I don;t think bridgend or newport do either and I guess a few more don;t

So the Drovers 2nds end up playing the 2nd teams of clubs in much lower divisions, like Brecon, which with all due respect is not very testing when they could probably give Brecon 1sts a game!

It doesn't provide an adequate basis for developing a primarily homegrown first team, which paradoxically means that even community-based clubs like Llandovery, if they make it to the premiership, become more and more dependent on players from elsewhere. That's what semiprofessional does for you!

Posted By: jiwjiwrygbi
Date Posted: 28 May 2015 at 10:02pm
Rumours going around about Euros Evans moving to coach Llanelli Rfc! Anyone got anything on this ?

Posted By: LLANDRE
Date Posted: 28 May 2015 at 10:03pm
Carmarthen Quins were without a second team for quite a few years .

-------------
West is Best (Fin gwybod)

Posted By: hoppy
Date Posted: 28 May 2015 at 10:07pm
Thought Euros Evans was the new coach at Llandovery

Date Posted: 28 May 2015 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Dan the Drover Dan the Drover wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

So the Drovers 2nds end up playing the 2nd teams of clubs in much lower divisions, like Brecon, which with all due respect is not very testing when they could probably give Brecon 1sts a game!

It doesn't provide an adequate basis for developing a primarily homegrown first team, which paradoxically means that even community-based clubs like Llandovery, if they make it to the premiership, become more and more dependent on players from elsewhere. That's what semiprofessional does for you!

I agree with you, llandovery are doing it the right way , the more sides a club has the better

I feel sorry for them, poor call by the wru

lyndon lewis has left them for aberavon that;s the change i was referring to not evans

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net