Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46065
Printed Date: 19 March 2024 at 10:28am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ulster
Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Subject: Ulster
Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 9:23am
OK stiff test coming up. I note that they do not have any starters against England with Herring, Henderson, Burns and Stockdale on the bench. If they get release of a few squad members we are in for a long afternoon with their experienced front 5, Murphy & Coetzee in the back row, Cooney, McLoskey, Ludik, Balacoun & Gilroy behind. 

Our reported squad guys not selected could include Foxy, Halfpenny, Patchell, Cawdor, Ryan & Cubby. Under Eddie's system most of those 6 guys would be back with us. 

Replies:
Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 9:30am
I'll be annoyed if we don't get anyone as North is, reportedly, being released.

Posted By: Mrfwon
Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 9:44am
Ulster have put in some impressive performances this season so far, hence why they're still unbeaten. This is going to be a tough test for us away from home for sure. 
We need as many players released back to us as possible, not just to strengthen our squad, but to give the boys game time too.

-------------
Scarlets!!!

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 9:57am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

OK stiff test coming up. I note that they do not have any starters against England with Herring, Henderson, Burns and Stockdale on the bench. If they get release of a few squad members we are in for a long afternoon with their experienced front 5, Murphy & Coetzee in the back row, Cooney, McLoskey, Ludik, Balacoun & Gilroy behind. 

Our reported squad guys not selected could include Foxy, Halfpenny, Patchell, Cawdor, Ryan & Cubby. Under Eddie's system most of those 6 guys would be back with us. 
On current form-as far as we've been able to tell-how many of those 6 players would you select for this next game?I'd be glad to see Samson,Wyn Jones and Ball,but otherwise only Johnny Williams and Macnichol would start ,imo,against Ulster.On form, Liam Williams would be on the bench.

Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

On current form-as far as we've been able to tell-how many of those 6 players would you select for this next game?I'd be glad to see Samson,Wyn Jones and Ball,but otherwise only Johnny Williams and Macnichol would start ,imo,against Ulster.On form, Liam Williams would be on the bench.

Compared to our last selection I would suggest that of those 6 Ryan, Cawdor, Patchell, Halfpenny & Foxy would start with Cubby missing out due to Jac's excellent form.

Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 12:41pm

Compared to our last selection I would suggest that of those 6 Ryan, Cawdor, Patchell, Halfpenny & Foxy would start with Cubby missing out due to Jac's excellent form.

Changing the back 3 would be a huge call,and difficult to justify.Foxy has shown nothing all season.Patchell simply hasn't played enough.Elias would bench-he's been indifferent and Taylor Davies is in possession.Blacker has been at times outstanding,again he deserves to keep the shirt(Hardy isthe most disadvantaged,having been prevented from playing).

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 12:44pm
Certainly a tough fixture coming up.
Mclusky running through the midfield has always been an issue. We barely managed to stop him for a few years...parkes off the top of my head was the only one that could stop him one on one. The type of 12 that would be welcomed in the Parc!
Hopefully we can catch him on an off day. If the pack gives go forward ball for them, and he then provides an extra platform for them to build, it's going to be a very tough night. 

Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 12:45pm

Changing the back 3 would be a huge call,and difficult to justify.Foxy has shown nothing all season.Patchell simply hasn't played enough.Elias would bench-he's been indifferent and Taylor Davies is in possession.Blacker has been at times outstanding,again he deserves to keep the shirt(Hardy isthe most disadvantaged,having been prevented from playing).

We've got to change the back 3 as Johnny is playing for Wales!!!!! For the cauldron which is Belfast give me Halfpenny over any other available 15. Been reported that Pivac has now decided that Patchell is not match fit so he is back with us. 

Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 12:50pm

We've got to change the back 3 as Johnny is playing for Wales!!!!! For the cauldron which is Belfast give me Halfpenny over any other available 15. Been reported that Pivac has now decided that Patchell is not match fit so he is back with us. 
Sorry I thought we were referring to the previous selection and the 6 players you mentioned-that being the case,Macnichol would keep his place for me,cauldron or no cauldron(how many spectators will be there,anyway?)

Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 12:51pm
Patchell has been released to us.

Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 12:56pm

Sorry I thought we were referring to the previous selection and the 6 players you mentioned-that being the case,Macnichol would keep his place for me,cauldron or no cauldron(how many spectators will be there,anyway?)

The cauldron Dic will be the Ulster team!!! We are getting confused. Johnny is not available so we have to pick another 15. My point is that if Pivac acted like fast Eddie the 6 I named would be back with us apart from Cubby who is on the bench for Saturday. Of those 5 all would be in my 23 for Ulster. Blacker has been playing well but he doesn't keep Cawdor out for me. Rhys starts at 10 & Foxy would start for me ahead of Steff Hughes. Elias on bench with Halfpenny stepping in for McNichol. 

Posted By: townboy
Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 1:21pm
Only Patch being released??

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by townboy townboy wrote:

Patchell hasn't been released to play.

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

According to the IC Wales updates , Pivac as told Patchell to go back to the club and get gametime .

So it waa bonkers to select him with so little rugby .

Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 1:30pm
Patch should have been left with us for game time and then selected for the 6 nations,same could be said for Foxy and Liam

Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 1:30pm

Oh yes he has!!!

Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

According to the IC Wales updates , Pivac as told Patchell to go back to the club and get gametime .

Ditto with Foxy, Liam & North. It will also be the same with Moriarty and Navidi when they eventually get fit. 

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 1:32pm
Stopping Coetzee is a priority. I’d go with our best tacklers. 

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 1:32pm
Released back to us to recuperate. To me, he's out of contention for a while. At least the remainder of this autumn cup which is why he's been released. Won't feature any time soon. 

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 1:34pm
If Patch is not match fit for Wales he's not match fit for us.  He could have been getting some game time with us over the last couple of weeks which would have improved his fitness without handicapping us too much.
Does Pivac expect us to play him against Ulster to get him fit even if he's not up to it?

-------------
Keep the faith

Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 1:36pm

Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Ditto with Foxy, Liam & North. It will also be the same with Moriarty and Navidi when they eventually get fit. 

Crazy stuff....just a complete mess.

Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Oh yes he has!!!
No he hasn't. He's been released because he's injured and will play no further part for Wales this autumn.

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 1:50pm
Are these comments all rumours, or confirmed? I'm mainly interested to know if Pivac will release any FIT players back to the Scarlets... it seems Patchell is not fit to play.

I'd be delighted to see some guys not selected for Georgia being made available... though as it stands, it doesn't seem likely that we'll get anyone fit.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 1:52pm

Not a vhance!

Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 2:00pm

Oh yes he has!!!
No he hasn't. He's been released because he's injured and will play no further part for Wales this autumn.

We’ve told him to go back and get himself selected at club level.

Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 2:01pm

Patch should have been left with us for game time and then selected for the 6 nations,same could be said for Foxy and Liam

Spot on ! And Sanjay to a degree...

Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 2:20pm

Oh yes he has!!!

We’ve told him to go back and get himself selected at club level.
He's not fit. He's injured

-------------

Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 2:40pm
Let’s be honest he wasn’t match fit when he went to Wales camp,Patch had played 15 mins against Munster and 35mins in Glasgow,In the Cry’s meeting with the coaches Delaney said that was only the amount of game time we were allowed to play Patch..So we are now back in a full circle with him with Pivac saying he’s not fit and needs to come back and get match fit as he’s picked up bangs in training..feel for Patch but Pivac shouldn’t have selected him then and just let him get game time with us

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 5:37pm

Released back as hes broken?

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Posted By: Maple
Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 5:42pm
What a total, complete cluster f*ck.

-------------
Give Blood, Play Rugby

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 19 November 2020 at 6:17pm

Patchell has been released to us.
For rehab, not game time

-------------
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 20 November 2020 at 4:21am

Oh yes he has!!!

I think he is still injured.

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 20 November 2020 at 4:42am
If Patch is released to recoup, so should foxy really.

Ulster and Leinster are the form sides. We will do well to get a point out there.

Date Posted: 20 November 2020 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Ulster and Leinster are the form sides. We will do well to get a point out there.

A point would be a fantastic achievement considering the scale of interruptions suffered by the teams. The Ulster pack, though I haven't seen the team, could have some pretty experienced operators available - Marty Moore, Sullivan, McGrath, Coetzee, Murphy, Reidy, O'Connor. All are starting 23 players even at full strength. Behind they again have that experience with Cooney, McLoskey, Ludik, Gilmour and Ballacoune. 

We will be sending a much less experienced 23 to Belfast and will do well to stay competitive. Our discipline must be spot on and our set piece squeeky clean for us to have a chance of staying with them. 

Posted By: Rob o'r Bont
Date Posted: 20 November 2020 at 8:22am

A point would be a fantastic achievement considering the scale of interruptions suffered by the teams. The Ulster pack, though I haven't seen the team, could have some pretty experienced operators available - Marty Moore, Sullivan, McGrath, Coetzee, Murphy, Reidy, O'Connor. All are starting 23 players even at full strength. Behind they again have that experience with Cooney, McLoskey, Ludik, Gilmour and Ballacoune. 

We will be sending a much less experienced 23 to Belfast and will do well to stay competitive. Our discipline must be spot on and our set piece squeeky clean for us to have a chance of staying with them. 
We shouldn't expect too much against Ulster away. But I hope the 'coaches out' brigade will hold fire for a few more games as I think we might sneak a win against Leinster at home. 

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Date Posted: 20 November 2020 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

We shouldn't expect too much against Ulster away. But I hope the 'coaches out' brigade will hold fire for a few more games as I think we might sneak a win against Leinster at home. 

I am really starting to worry about you RobWink

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 20 November 2020 at 8:31am

We shouldn't expect too much against Ulster away. But I hope the 'coaches out' brigade will hold fire for a few more games as I think we might sneak a win against Leinster at home
my horses look good in the morning too rob.LOLLOL

Posted By: Rob o'r Bont
Date Posted: 20 November 2020 at 8:59am
Go easy on me now, there's Good gentlemen. Smile

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 20 November 2020 at 1:34pm

Go easy on me now, there's Good gentlemen. Smile
I love an optimist Rob . Not very common on this place! 😂 I hope you’re right mind 👍👍

Posted By: Maple
Date Posted: 20 November 2020 at 1:48pm
When is the squad announced.

-------------
Give Blood, Play Rugby

Posted By: ChrisX
Date Posted: 20 November 2020 at 2:12pm
A point at Kingspan wouldnt be a bad result to be honest, with Rob, I'd take that and a home win next week v 'unbeatable' Leinster

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net