Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46120
Printed Date: 14 May 2021 at 6:13am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rainbow Cup
Posted By: Jones2004
Subject: Rainbow Cup
Date Posted: 23 December 2020 at 1:08pm
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/55417014" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/55417014
Thoughts?

Replies:
Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 23 December 2020 at 1:24pm
Hope the extra cash doesn’t get snaffled away from the regions.

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: joni_bach
Date Posted: 23 December 2020 at 1:25pm
I don't like to moan but it's a shame there are no quarter-finals or semi-finals in either tournament. It means there will be a lot of dead rubber games in the Rainbow Cup. Could have done it with four regional conferences I suppose.

Posted By: Sosban89
Date Posted: 23 December 2020 at 1:30pm
It can't be me who thinks this is just idiotic timing? Currently in the midst of the worst point of the pandemic, and come April it is likely to still be out of control. So now we are adding more nations from around the world to travel back and forth too? This just shows how desperate rugby is for money because there is no way that tournament goes smoothly without games getting cancelled.

Posted By: Gate12
Date Posted: 23 December 2020 at 2:16pm
I quite like the sound of it to be honest, this season has/will continue to be a mess so hopefully come April it'll feel like a fresh start and a good build up to the Lions.

Posted By: gaffer
Date Posted: 23 December 2020 at 2:20pm
Crock of poo.

-------------
What's going on?

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 23 December 2020 at 2:30pm
the timing of play is not so comfort but will be only for this year. From the next SA 's team will be a presence...this is the sign that SA would move to Europe and leave Oceania..
the next step for them ll be 6N's for Italy...for italian 6N ve been a nice experience, economical specially...we had much more money then other tier 2 teams but our level seems dont increase, either the gap with the big is bigger...
Will be good play against bokkies team for our visibility, TV bonus income and hard test for every clubs.
South Africa is a giant in terms of development players, for quality and numbers...

Posted By: NobbySosban
Date Posted: 23 December 2020 at 2:38pm
Under the current circumstances, this is a perfectly understandable solution to a number of issues.
  • PRO14 season needs to be wrapped up as soon as practicably possible, so a max of 16 rounds with all derbies played followed by a simple Conference Leaders' Final ticks that box*
  • Imperative to introduce 4 new SA franchises in competitive games ahead of the B&I Lions tour** gives their players (and many of ours) a meaningful work-out for Test selection
  • With our without crowds, these Rainbow Cup games will be of interest to rugby fans globally in a Lions tour** year, so maximising TV & sponsorship revenue in a decimated season
  • Lays the foundation for next season's full PROXX league which will involve a huge number of Springboks and Lions players - it puts the league on a global platform (wouldn't be surprised if the league was renamed the Guinness Rainbow League, or certainly drop the 12/14/16 tag to avoid confusion over the embarrassment of not have the 'right' number of teams Embarrassed)
  • Teams will have to compete to gain their places in the Champions Cup - the SA clubs will also want to be included in this tournament before long, so strong showings in the inaugural Rainbow Cup will help make their case
There are some huge BUTs in this, of course...
  • 3 weekends available for catching up rescheduled matches during 6 Nations window - 31/1, 6/2 or 13/2 - our tie at home to Leinster will now have to be played at this time, together with any other postponements...
  • *still likely to be a number of cancelled fixtures as Covid 2.0 catches on - we may see results decided by PRO14 panels, as per ECPR fixtures, far from ideal, but not much choice
  • **I don't think I'm alone in believing that the Lions tour won't happen - SA won't realistically start their vaccination programme until the second have of 2021, so safe travel is very unlikely to be possible - I know that an awful lot of prospective Lions tourists & fans won't want to think about this prospect right now, but it's going to take a near miracle for it to take place...
  • ...and the same problem for Rainbow Cup games which will require players to travel to & from SA before mass-vaccination is possible
So it's fraught with pitfalls - I understand anyone who sees this PROXX expansion into SA as a big step in the wrong direction, but anything that improves our financial security and enables us to promote ourselves on a more global stage has to be the right thing to do. It's about staying in the game and leveraging our position when a potential Welsh-Anglo or B&I or even World Clubs tournament becomes tangible.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 23 December 2020 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Under the current circumstances, this is a perfectly understandable solution to a number of issues.
  • PRO14 season needs to be wrapped up as soon as practicably possible, so a max of 16 rounds with all derbies played followed by a simple Conference Leaders' Final ticks that box*
  • Imperative to introduce 4 new SA franchises in competitive games ahead of the B&I Lions tour** gives their players (and many of ours) a meaningful work-out for Test selection
  • With our without crowds, these Rainbow Cup games will be of interest to rugby fans globally in a Lions tour** year, so maximising TV & sponsorship revenue in a decimated season
  • Lays the foundation for next season's full PROXX league which will involve a huge number of Springboks and Lions players - it puts the league on a global platform (wouldn't be surprised if the league was renamed the Guinness Rainbow League, or certainly drop the 12/14/16 tag to avoid confusion over the embarrassment of not have the 'right' number of teams Embarrassed)
  • Teams will have to compete to gain their places in the Champions Cup - the SA clubs will also want to be included in this tournament before long, so strong showings in the inaugural Rainbow Cup will help make their case
There are some huge BUTs in this, of course...
  • 3 weekends available for catching up rescheduled matches during 6 Nations window - 31/1, 6/2 or 13/2 - our tie at home to Leinster will now have to be played at this time, together with any other postponements...
  • *still likely to be a number of cancelled fixtures as Covid 2.0 catches on - we may see results decided by PRO14 panels, as per ECPR fixtures, far from ideal, but not much choice
  • **I don't think I'm alone in believing that the Lions tour won't happen - SA won't realistically start their vaccination programme until the second have of 2021, so safe travel is very unlikely to be possible - I know that an awful lot of prospective Lions tourists & fans won't want to think about this prospect right now, but it's going to take a near miracle for it to take place...
  • ...and the same problem for Rainbow Cup games which will require players to travel to & from SA before mass-vaccination is possible
So it's fraught with pitfalls - I understand anyone who sees this PROXX expansion into SA as a big step in the wrong direction, but anything that improves our financial security and enables us to promote ourselves on a more global stage has to be the right thing to do. It's about staying in the game and leveraging our position when a potential Welsh-Anglo or B&I or even World Clubs tournament becomes tangible.

Excellent post Nobby. Clap

Posted By: N14
Date Posted: 23 December 2020 at 3:30pm
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-uk-confirms-two-cases-of-another-new-variant-linked-to-south-africa-12171410?fbclid=IwAR1NuZoihfvWFngkXrRQS8eqPzwrE3uYxIVoHmPEBraxJvjeHGT20vXJUQY

What timing Unhappy

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 23 December 2020 at 3:38pm
Thats pretty much what I think as well. In the longer term though, a pro 16 with the top Saffer sides will have to mean a coordinated international season. Mr Ian's suggestion of SA joining the 6 mations in the placce of Italy would mean foregoing the SA/NZ  rivalry which they consider to be the biggest in the sport. If we had to take on the top Saffer sides without our internationals, we would get thumped. 

Date Posted: 23 December 2020 at 3:46pm
By the way I think joining forces with the South Africans is a great idea. Regardless of how any of us feel about the pro14 and the way that it's run, the English aren't interested in partnering with us so we have to work with what we've got. The addition of the 4 SA teams will surely add better competition to the league, not to mention the financial benefits. I do wonder about the future of the Italian teams in the league, are they adding anything?

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 23 December 2020 at 4:21pm
Doubt it will happen due to the covid variance discovered in S Africa.
Will our new prop cause our squad to have to isolate for ten days or did he arrive more than two weeks ago?

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 23 December 2020 at 4:36pm
The wrong time to be doing this. Plan it for 2022 unless they have already brokered some tv money. 

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 23 December 2020 at 5:44pm
Like. Bit selfish as I can get to the SA grounds in a few hours see.

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 23 December 2020 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

The wrong time to be doing this. Plan it for 2022 unless they have already brokered some tv money. 
They need the money 

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 24 December 2020 at 9:15am
Competing with these 4 teams during the 6N will be interesting.

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 24 December 2020 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Think it is meant to start after the 6 nations. Pretty meaningless for all concerned if played during 6 nations. Pro 14 final brought forward to late March as I understand it. 

Date Posted: 24 December 2020 at 9:42am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Think it is meant to start after the 6 nations. Pretty meaningless for all concerned if played during 6 nations. Pro 14 final brought forward to late March as I understand it. 
Apart from the fact we are all desperate for the cash.

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 24 December 2020 at 9:47am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Desperate for cash is not in doubt but what broadcaster in their right minds is going to be willing to pay to show a fully loaded South African franchise taking on the Scarlets minus their 12/15 Internationals. As I understand it the reason they are cutting the pro 14 short with only 16 games is so that they can play this tournament during April/May in the build up to the Lions tour.

Date Posted: 24 December 2020 at 9:50am

Desperate for cash is not in doubt but what broadcaster in their right minds is going to be willing to pay to show a fully loaded South African franchise taking on the Scarlets minus their 12/15 Internationals. As I understand it the reason they are cutting the pro 14 short with only 16 games is so that they can play this tournament during April/May in the build up to the Lions tour.
There's going to be a hell of a lot of change for the better over the next 2 years. CVC want the club game to be as important as the international game.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 December 2020 at 9:57am
We are well placed to take on this new change. We have a good board, our own ground, a strong squad, a good academy and talent id system and a unique name  in world sports. 

We also have a large support base even if we are generally unsuccessful at getting them to the ground on matchday.

Date Posted: 24 December 2020 at 10:13am
Originally posted by John John wrote:

We are well placed to take on this new change. We have a good board, our own ground, a strong squad, a good academy and talent id system and a unique name  in world sports. 

We also have a large support base even if we are generally unsuccessful at getting them to the ground on matchday.
Very true. I think it'll be a turbulent few years but we'll come out of it better in the long run.

-------------

Posted By: ChrisX
Date Posted: 24 December 2020 at 11:28am
So the current PRO14 is effectivley decided, Leinster win Conference A, whilst Munster have a strong lead, ahead of us in Conference B?

Irish League for Irish teams hey? 

No play offs? No second place? We need to claw back Munster to make any final? 

Posted By: Gate12
Date Posted: 24 December 2020 at 11:31am
I think it would better if we parked any short/medium term hopes of a British League, not sure it's healthy holding out hope for it.

There doesn't seem to be any desire from the English for us to join them, the only noise we hear from across the bridge is around ringfencing the premiership rather than increasing the jeopardy.

We need to be realistic in making the best we can out of the available options rather than wasting energy hoping for something that's not going to happen.

Date Posted: 24 December 2020 at 12:16pm
Yep. The appetite in rugby SA for expansion and progression is key here.

Really hope this is the platform, although we all need to be open minded I feel.

Also we will have to sharpen up, be one of the Welsh sides, or these guys will trample us.

Posted By: Maple
Date Posted: 25 December 2020 at 7:19am
The whole thing was dreamt up by Geoffrey and Bungle.

-------------
Give Blood, Play Rugby

Date Posted: 26 December 2020 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Yep. The appetite in rugby SA for expansion and progression is key here.

Really hope this is the platform, although we all need to be open minded I feel.

Also we will have to sharpen up, be one of the Welsh sides, or these guys will trample us.
This development means we will need to maintain a high quality roster of NWQ to compete during 6N. Playing the Sharks with a weak pack would not be much fun

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 26 December 2020 at 10:04am
The SA rugby guys are seeing this as the ideal warm up for the Lions. They will be fully loaded in my view.

Posted By: scarletsim
Date Posted: 26 March 2021 at 12:56pm
Opening fixtures have been announced 

Posted By: PritchyTheScarlet
Date Posted: 26 March 2021 at 12:58pm
Saturday, 24 April - Dragons (A)
Saturday, 8 May - Ospreys (H)
Saturday, 15 May - Cardiff (H)

-------------
#PeelEra

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 26 March 2021 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by PritchyTheScarlet PritchyTheScarlet wrote:

Saturday, 24 April - Dragons (A)
Saturday, 8 May - Ospreys (H)
Saturday, 15 May - Cardiff (H)
how original LOLLOL

Posted By: scarletsrules
Date Posted: 26 March 2021 at 1:33pm
Are the dates finalised or subject to change when Premier Sports have decided their schedule ?

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 26 March 2021 at 1:33pm
Great to see us playing some new teams LOLLOL

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Date Posted: 26 March 2021 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by scarletsrules scarletsrules wrote:

Are the dates finalised or subject to change when Premier Sports have decided their schedule ?

They were posted by the Pro12/14/16 so you'd imagine they're finalised.

-------------
#PeelEra

Date Posted: 26 March 2021 at 1:39pm

I was thinking that originally but all the games are to be played on a saturday and normally they are spread over the weekend

Be good if the scarlets will request one of our home games to be a pilot event for crowds in wales to

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 26 March 2021 at 2:23pm

As in they've only announced the weekends haven't they? It's not definite that our games will be on Saturdays:-  https://www.pro14.rugby/latest/pro14/kick-off-opening-rounds-of-rainbow-cup-confirmed" rel="nofollow - https://www.pro14.rugby/latest/pro14/kick-off-opening-rounds-of-rainbow-cup-confirmed

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPLe3ApXjW4&list=PL576FE48C1F044909&index=1" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2020

Date Posted: 26 March 2021 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

As in they've only announced the weekends haven't they? It's not definite that our games will be on Saturdays:-  https://www.pro14.rugby/latest/pro14/kick-off-opening-rounds-of-rainbow-cup-confirmed" rel="nofollow - https://www.pro14.rugby/latest/pro14/kick-off-opening-rounds-of-rainbow-cup-confirmed

According to this tweet from Scarlets our 3 games are on Saturdays

http://twitter.com/scarlets_rugby/status/1375388267433103361" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/scarlets_rugby/status/1375388267433103361

-------------
#PeelEra

Date Posted: 26 March 2021 at 3:15pm
Can't see that happening, 8 games in one day? If all the games are going to be on Premier they'd have to be showing 2 games together in 4 different Saturday timeslots, seems highly unlikely. 

I'll stick with the Pro14 saying "weekend of" in their article.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPLe3ApXjW4&list=PL576FE48C1F044909&index=1" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2020

Posted By: hoppy
Date Posted: 26 March 2021 at 6:58pm
Will any fans be allowed in for this competition 

Date Posted: 26 March 2021 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by hoppy hoppy wrote:

Very much doubt it

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 27 March 2021 at 7:40am

Very much doubt it
I think there’s a chance later on.

-------------

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 29 March 2021 at 11:44am
Quick question, who is in our pool?

Date Posted: 29 March 2021 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

There aren't pools, straight table of 16 with top 2 going onto final.

It's ridiculous really because the Scottish teams are going to be playing Italians while we play our derbies, admittedly they're currently not much better themselves but still seems a tad unfair.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 March 2021 at 11:53am

It's ridiculous really because the Scottish teams are going to be playing Italians while we play our derbies, admittedly they're currently not much better themselves but still seems a tad unfair.

Ah I see, I thought it was 2 pools.

Date Posted: 29 March 2021 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Very much doubt it
Really? Gut feeling or anything more substantial?

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 29 March 2021 at 12:31pm

It's not really a competition, more of a showcase isn't it?

Having said that the proposed P16 is no better really. You play the other sides home or away, so it's half a competition

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 29 March 2021 at 12:35pm

Very much doubt it
I think there’s a chance for fans in June, with much luck and following wind. If there are ambitions for full stadia for the Euros, something less adventurous must be tried as part of the build up.

Can anyone answer me who we are playing in rounds 4, 5 and 6 of the Rainbow Cup?

3 local derbies and then who knows for 3 other opponents, followed by the final on 19th June.

ConfusedConfusedConfused

-------------

Date Posted: 29 March 2021 at 12:46pm

Very much doubt it
I think there’s a chance for fans in June, with much luck and following wind. If there are ambitions for full stadia for the Euros, something less adventurous must be tried as part of the build up.

Can anyone answer me who we are playing in rounds 4, 5 and 6 of the Rainbow Cup?

3 local derbies and then who knows for 3 other opponents, followed by the final on 19th June.

ConfusedConfusedConfused

The other rounds haven’t been announced yet. 

Date Posted: 29 March 2021 at 12:58pm

Having said that the proposed P16 is no better really. You play the other sides home or away, so it's half a competition
Bet the TV companies can't wait to part with their cash knowing that it's a "showcase"

-------------

Date Posted: 29 March 2021 at 1:20pm

Bet the TV companies can't wait to part with their cash knowing that it's a "showcase"
Haha!
Well the word is that a "significant chunk" of the £6m that SA pays to be part of P14 will be unlocked, so we're stuck with it.

As for next year, it looks like no uplift in UK rights and a bit more SA money

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 29 March 2021 at 4:36pm

Very much doubt it

ConfusedConfusedConfused

If round 6 is on the weekend of 12th June and the final on 19th June, I’m not sure how more fixtures can be announced. 

Maybe league ranking is on a % of maximum points basis?

-------------

Date Posted: 29 March 2021 at 5:17pm

Very much doubt it

ConfusedConfusedConfused

If round 6 is on the weekend of 12th June and the final on 19th June, I’m not sure how more fixtures can be announced. 

Maybe league ranking is on a % of maximum points basis?
It's a straight league of 16 with the top 2 (Leinster + ??) going on to the final

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 29 March 2021 at 5:19pm
I’d imagine they’re waiting to ensure the SA teams can get here before announcing the fixtures. 

Date Posted: 29 March 2021 at 8:59pm
Maybe it’s me, however, if it’s a league of 16 and we play each other once, spdoesnt that require 15 rounds before the final?

How do you get a ranking of 16 teams spread over 6 rounds?

Members of the magic circle welcome to answer.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 March 2021 at 9:07pm

Maybe it’s me, however, if it’s a league of 16 and we play each other once, spdoesnt that require 15 rounds before the final?

I think they’re hoping for the top 2 teams to be ahead of the rest. Will be funny if you get 3 sides all winning 6 matches with TBPs. 

Date Posted: 29 March 2021 at 10:24pm

Very much doubt it

ConfusedConfusedConfused

I’d be shocked to see crowds back in Wales before the end of summer, wouldn’t even shock me if we don’t see it this year. I anticipate Wales being one of the last countries in Europe to have crowds attending professional sporting events. I think the English will be allowed crowds long before us

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 29 March 2021 at 10:39pm

Each club will only play 6 matches in the league, so there will be unfairness in the fixture lists. The Italian sides play a derby double header and a Scottish team in their first 3 matches. One of them could be at the top going into round 4. 

It’s a nonsense competition really, only brought in to unlock some Saffa TV cash and to give their teams some match practice before the Lions tour. 

Posted By: thommo
Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 8:23am
Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

Very much doubt it

ConfusedConfusedConfused

I’d be shocked to see crowds back in Wales before the end of summer, wouldn’t even shock me if we don’t see it this year. I anticipate Wales being one of the last countries in Europe to have crowds attending professional sporting events. I think the English will be allowed crowds long before us
I would day we are ahead of Ireland and France when it comes to allowing supporters back based on current Covid rates.

Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 8:51am
Apparently the Pro16 have asked WR if they can trial the 20 min red card in this competition, where 20 minutes after the red the red carded player can be subbed, along with the captains challenge where the skipper can ask the ref to look at something & the request must be granted. 

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 9:00am

Apparently the Pro16 have asked WR if they can trial the 20 min red card in this competition, where 20 minutes after the red the red carded player can be subbed, along with the captains challenge where the skipper can ask the ref to look at something & the request must be granted. 

morning everyone,,,I thing this can work.
Sounds like a good idea to me

Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Morning!! 

I agree, I like this one along with the skipper challenge.

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 9:21am

Morning!! 

And the red carded player will still be disciplined as normal so the punishment element on the person is still there plus the player knows that he has cost his team 20 minutes out of the game with a man short. I think that’s enough punishment for a player and also keeps the modern game watchable for paying supporters and sponsors. Let’s give it a go

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 9:47am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Morning!! 

And the red carded player will still be disciplined as normal so the punishment element on the person is still there plus the player knows that he has cost his team 20 minutes out of the game with a man short. I think that’s enough punishment for a player and also keeps the modern game watchable for paying supporters and sponsors. Let’s give it a go

Sounds like an improvement. My only reservation is around genuine acts of thuggery/dirty play. Of course they are very difficult to adjudicate sometimes. For instance there wasn't a large difference in the acts of Sholtz versus Connacht and Russell versus France - one yellow, one red. Was Russell's offence as bad as O'Mahoneys - both reds and both 3 weeks. Perhaps we should introduce an orange card - 20 minutes player allowed back on & keep the red card for the worst offences - O'Mahoney & Fagerson. Russell in my book would have been orange. 

Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 10:00am
Got to feel sorry for Ulster, they have Leinster & Munster away! 

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 10:02am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Morning!! 

I think any change to something as fundamental as the red card should be viewed with extreme caution.Acts of foul play on a rugby field can result in career-threatening,or even life-changing injuries.I hate to mention this,but we've seen how badly things can go wrong in one of our own fixtures this season.Rugby is,or should be, a game for men of all sizes,and of late we've seen the laws re.high tackling strictly applied-ultimately this will protect the smaller player and serve to encourage the kind of football they are capable of playing.Would a 20min sanction serve to discourage a cynical attempt fo put a pint-sized no.10 out of a cup final,for example,and in the process prevent him from pursuing his career,or worse?Short-sighted gimmickry ,in the interests of capital over labour,should be guarded against,I think.

Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 10:14am

I think this is an awful idea 

-------------

Posted By: Exkixu
Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 10:46am

It is. You just make a lot cheaper to target the opposition's best player. Take him out of the game against 20 minutes. 

-------------
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member

Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Exkixu Exkixu wrote:

It is. You just make a lot cheaper to target the opposition's best player. Take him out of the game against 20 minutes. 
And players will know they can commit more serious offenses and their team will only be down a man 20 instead of 10, likely means this will lead to more reds than yellows.

-------------

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 12:16pm
Horrendous idea players just have to adapt to the rules and make game safer.
As for OMahoney he knew what he was doing mans a thug and should have been banned for longer with his previous.  

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 1:10pm
What a shambles of a set up we play in! So after thinking that the 4 top sides in the Pro14 would qualify for the HCC, it turns out that South African sides could earn qualification to next seasons HCC if they finish 'high enough' in the Rainbow Cup. If 2 South African sides finish high enough, it is thought they will replace the Blues & Glasgow.

The Blues have already said they will fight any change which means them missing out given that the agreed qualification to the HCC was the top 8 from the Pro14 & the South African sides did not compete in the Pro 14.

Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 1:15pm

What a shambles of a set up we play in! So after thinking that the 4 top sides in the Pro14 would qualify for the HCC, it turns out that South African sides could earn qualification to next seasons HCC if they finish 'high enough' in the Rainbow Cup. If 2 South African sides finish high enough, it is thought they will replace the Blues & Glasgow.

The Blues have already said they will fight any change which means them missing out given that the agreed qualification to the HCC was the top 8 from the Pro14 & the South African sides did not compete in the Pro 14.

It's an awkward situation, but no doubt we'd be up in arms if we were in the Blues' shoes

Posted By: Exkixu
Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 1:22pm

Originally posted by Exkixu Exkixu wrote:

And players will know they can commit more serious offenses and their team will only be down a man 20 instead of 10, likely means this will lead to more reds than yellows.

Or even worse, refs will avoid dishing more reds and yellows than what they do now for fear of turning the game into a perma 13 vs 13 with players coming and going, but with increased foul play. And of course, as if the current laws weren't confusing enough, you'll have the inevitable clusterfupp of interpretation of what constitues a red or a yellow.

-------------
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 2:14pm
The saffers bring a lot more to erc rugby than the 8th placed blues and glasgow  Get them both out i say get the top bok teams in

Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

The saffers bring a lot more to erc rugby than the 8th placed blues and glasgow  Get them both out i say get the top bok teams in
Your distain for Cardiff showing through again.

You can't just move the goalposts mid-season, I except and look forward to S.African teams being involved in the European competitions but they shouldn't be shoehorned in like this. Play a full season of Pro16 and if they finish high enough then they'll be in Heineken the following season.

-------------

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 2:24pm
I was watching the rugby from NZ on S4C on Sunday night and saw the captains challenge at the end af the highlanders/blues game, it was used to challenge the winning try, with the highlanders captain claiming that one of the passes may have been forward, referee the goes to TMO before sticking with his on field decision to award the try.
My concern is that there would surely have to be a limit on the number of challenges or the game would be even more stop start than it is now.
The 20 minute red card has been talked about, this would benefit players who have had red cards receded after a match (only for their team to lose the match due to being down a man - unfairly).
 I feel that any player who gets away with 20 minutes in the bin as opposed to the whole game, but then gets found guilty of serious foul play should then have an extra 1-2 weeks added to their ban to make up for the fact that they have been allowed to return to the field of play and may well have helped their team to a win.

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 2:44pm

You’re saying that as if they’re crap. It was all down to the last game whether we’d be in their position. 

Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

You’re saying that as if they’re crap. It was all down to the last game whether we’d be in their position. 
Exactly - if we hadn't turned up that final half then we'd be the ones having to challenge it. 
Not only that but they finished on equal points to the Ospreys in the other conference so the Os must be not worthy of the Heineken either by RR's merit.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 2:54pm

yes i know and that makes it all the more amusing😂😂😂. Sorry lads my tongue is planted firmly in cheek here👍

Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 2:56pm

Exactly - if we hadn't turned up that final half then we'd be the ones having to challenge it. 
Not only that but they finished on equal points to the Ospreys in the other conference so the Os must be not worthy of the Heineken either by RR's merit.
they are pretty rubbish to but finished 3rd in a conference with leinster and ulster the blues finished 4th in a conference with munster and connacht it and didn’t the ospreys beat the blues eAsily when they played each other? Personally i don’t mind if all the other regions miss out on erc rugby as long as qualify all that bothers me. If anyone thinks the blues would beat a fully loaded bulls team i’d be very surprised

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 3:03pm
Games against SA team will be a mattanza for us...they played a playing a lot of rugby, really dinamic and bulk rugby and also the Lions will have big troubles there...
South Africa is the biggest country for youth playera and they give boys to Scotland and half europe 

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 3:23pm
agree Mr Ian, we could do with a couple of their big lads in the 2nd row 

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 4:03pm
Laws variation trials - absolutely for a Captain’s Challenge like cricket/tennis; absolutely against a red carded player being replaced by someone off the bench 20 mins later.

Very much for GPR’s Orange Card, maybe another name/colour for IRFU purposes.

Russell tried to do something within the rules but failed through execution. O’Mahoney was outside the rules from start of launching himself to the impact point finish on the head of the defensive less player.

My view fwiw.

-------------

Posted By: tannerbankboy
Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 7:35pm

Got to feel sorry for Ulster, they have Leinster & Munster away! 
I'll never feel sorry for Ulster

Posted By: tannerbankboy
Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 7:37pm

Captains challenge!  They do that constantly anyway Confused

Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

Captains challenge!  They do that constantly anyway Confused

I’m ok with the captains challenge it’s the red card rule I don’t like 

-------------

Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 8:14pm
What the hell is a captains challenge? 

Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 8:26pm

It’s literally in the post quoted above yours. 

Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 9:56pm

The captain can ask a ref to look at something. Like they can already?

Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 10:08pm

The captain can ask a ref to look at something. Like they can already?
If you compare with tennis and cricket, you will notice that the umpire in those settings do not have the right to refuse.

As it stands now, the ref can give the request short shrift. That will stop while the captain has a challenge available.

While tennis and cricket have the Hawkeye system, rugby won’t. I see it more like the (Field) Hockey system, where the referral goes to the official in the truck/room and they review the incident.

Had this been in place a couple of Saturdays ago, Alun-Wyn could’ve asked Luke Pierce to review us not getting a penalty try. Pierce would’ve had to refer the incident to Barnes, who would’ve given his judgement.

Hope that clarifies things.

It’s not a numpty neutralisation remedy. It does allow an event to be looked at more fully than might’ve occurred at the time, whether the ref wants to or not.

I think it’s a great step forward, unlike the 20 minute follow on sub after someone gets a red card.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 10:39pm
Captains challenge yes 20 min for a red is a no from me

Date Posted: 30 March 2021 at 10:53pm
Captains challenge is in the NRL in Australia and it works great I think. Only 1 challenge each Captains gets and if the challenge is unsuccessful then they lose their challenge otherwise if it is correct they retain it. So the captain knows they can't waste the challenge unless they are confident of overturning the decision as its the only chance they'll get..

I like the idea and think it would work well

Date Posted: 31 March 2021 at 9:13am
Captains challenge the game seems to last forever as it is let the refs decision be final he has the TMO for any doubt. The game will stop every five mins for captains challenge unless you limit them. If you limit them and a mistake happens later what then, sorry refs decision is final right or wrong it’s part of the game and who the hell will we have to blame if we can’t blame ref. 

-------------

Date Posted: 31 March 2021 at 9:17am
Just as an aside the regions seem to all be playing on the Saturdays with just kick off times to be confirmed. 

Date Posted: 31 March 2021 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Captains challenge the game seems to last forever as it is let the refs decision be final he has the TMO for any doubt. The game will stop every five mins for captains challenge unless you limit them. If you limit them and a mistake happens later what then, sorry refs decision is final right or wrong it’s part of the game and who the hell will we have to blame if we can’t blame ref. 
You only get one a game per team

-------------

Posted By: trinity60
Date Posted: 31 March 2021 at 10:32am

If your successful with your challenge you retain it so you can have another one. 

Date Posted: 31 March 2021 at 10:39am

Which makes it pointless if it’s wrong as there could be 20 glaring errors later in the game that will have to be ignored. 
The game has too many breaks as it is get on with it and respect the refs decision. 

-------------

Posted By: NobbySosban
Date Posted: 31 March 2021 at 1:21pm
Captain's Challenge has some merit, but could result in officials deferring decisions and leaving it at captain's door to check an incident. Will only really know if this is a benefit after a full set of games - these things usually have unintended consequences.

As for the 20 minute Red Card, this is more concerning. With the recent proliferation in sendings off, I can see why it's being considered - it's often a very fine line between robust defence and a reckless challenge, so you're likely to have at least one incident in every game which could result in a 'technical' red card. But a red card has to retain it's status as the ultimate sanction, particularly in the area of serious foul play, and a temporary sanction diminishes its effect. An orange card would simply add an extra layer of confusion and controversy, I fear.

Contact with the head & neck have to be eradicated, whether deliberate or not, but it means opening cans of worms in other aspects of the game.

Date Posted: 31 March 2021 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Captain's Challenge has some merit, but could result in officials deferring decisions and leaving it at captain's door to check an incident. Will only really know if this is a benefit after a full set of games - these things usually have unintended consequences.

As for the 20 minute Red Card, this is more concerning. With the recent proliferation in sendings off, I can see why it's being considered - it's often a very fine line between robust defence and a reckless challenge, so you're likely to have at least one incident in every game which could result in a 'technical' red card. But a red card has to retain it's status as the ultimate sanction, particularly in the area of serious foul play, and a temporary sanction diminishes its effect. An orange card would simply add an extra layer of confusion and controversy, I fear.

Contact with the head & neck have to be eradicated, whether deliberate or not, but it means opening cans of worms in other aspects of the game.

The problems with red cards are that they immediately and often terminally punish the team and its supporters and that the effect varies according to when on the match clock the offence is committed. For a sport that obtains most of its income from TV rights, that is a major problem if red cards become as common as they have.

A switch to 20 minutes with a player missing lessens both of these. As it is (almost always) the individual rather than the team who commits the red card offence, the subsequent suspensions should be longer to give the offender more time to reflect on what they did. I doubt that would work in O Mahoney's case however. 

Date Posted: 31 March 2021 at 3:45pm
For a red card offence I would favour:
1. A penalty try awarded to the opposition.
2. The offender is sent off and replaced 
3. Ban applied by disciplinary panel

-------------
We're still still here!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net