Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46429
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 10:14am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Back row cover
Posted By: 157cb
Subject: Back row cover
Date Posted: 05 September 2021 at 12:21pm

With doubts over Cubby, Macleod out until December, Lezana not arriving until October. On top of that saw Iestyn Rees in boot at game yesterday, and news that Carwyn at to have a finger operation after the 20s Six Nations, Welsh management playing him despite picking up the injury early in first game against Italy.

So yet again we see a player whose health and well being was of little concern to the Welsh management.

I feel we are one injury away from disaster in back row, with so many boys unavailable. I feel we need a quality 7 addition. 

Replies:
Date Posted: 05 September 2021 at 1:25pm

With Nic Cudd back at Carmarthen Quins, feel we could do far worse than bring him in on a short term loan.

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 05 September 2021 at 1:36pm
We should get cover in until Xmas at least we have gone from having a depth of back row talent to being on bones of our

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Posted By: Sandman
Date Posted: 05 September 2021 at 1:53pm
Thought Tom Phillips was excellent yesterday. Granted the opposition wasn’t the best but you couldn’t fault Tom’s efforts. 

-------------
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 05 September 2021 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

With Nic Cudd back at Carmarthen Quins, feel we could do far worse than bring him in on a short term loan.
good shout very decent player.  Is boyde still at the blues?

Date Posted: 05 September 2021 at 2:56pm

Another excellent your back rower Ellis Thomas  is back with Llanelli RFC, heard he had a stormer in there friendly yesterday. 

Posted By: hoppy
Date Posted: 05 September 2021 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Another excellent your back rower Ellis Thomas  is back with Llanelli RFC, heard he had a stormer in there friendly yesterday. 

What was the  the result yesterday

Date Posted: 05 September 2021 at 3:50pm

They beat Felinfoel 40 odd 15? 

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 05 September 2021 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Sandman Sandman wrote:

Thought Tom Phillips was excellent yesterday. Granted the opposition wasn’t the best but you couldn’t fault Tom’s efforts. 
Good to see Tom with all his injuries back and he did play pretty well I thought considering he is now only a semi pro . 

Date Posted: 05 September 2021 at 4:08pm
Ellis is doing Medicine in Cardiff Uni but perhaps he is now allocated to a local hospital? He is a very good clever player 

Posted By: shocker
Date Posted: 05 September 2021 at 4:38pm
If  we do require back  row cover, I would thought it would be an out and out experienced 7

Posted By: Dai Guevara
Date Posted: 05 September 2021 at 5:22pm
Let's give Dan Davis the chance to recapture his once exceptional pace. We asked him to bulk up, and he has responded, perhaps to the detriment of outright pace. We have been very tolerant of the long injuries some of our favourite players have suffered so let's hope that Dan can use a fraction of this time to get back up to speed!

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 05 September 2021 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Ellis is doing Medicine in Cardiff Uni but perhaps he is now allocated to a local hospital? He is a very good clever player 

You keep being moved around, at first every week or so but even in years 4-5, no longer than every couple of months. So he would not be this far west for longer than a couple of months.

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 05 September 2021 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Let's give Dan Davis the chance to recapture his once exceptional pace. We asked him to bulk up, and he has responded, perhaps to the detriment of outright pace. We have been very tolerant of the long injuries some of our favourite players have suffered so let's hope that Dan can use a fraction of this time to get back up to speed!
What happens if Dan gets injured before Lezana returns? There needs to be a signing made at 7

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: Sandman
Date Posted: 05 September 2021 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

What happens if Dan gets injured before Lezana returns? There needs to be a signing made at 7
Could Blade or Shings play 7 if required? 

-------------
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)

Date Posted: 05 September 2021 at 6:45pm

They'd have to if Dan got injured but obviously neither are natural opensides.

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 05 September 2021 at 7:17pm

Both have played 7 for their countries.  No problem. 😋

-------------
Keep the faith

Date Posted: 05 September 2021 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Both have played 7 for their countries.  No problem. 😋
. I assume it will soon be time for Cubby’s future to be decided I suspect. It can’t go on . Dan has certainly not had a dominant game yet for us either to convince me he is the real deal  It’s worrying . 

Date Posted: 05 September 2021 at 9:44pm
Any time scale on cubby return? 

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 05 September 2021 at 10:51pm
No time scale on Cubby, or any concussion case really.
He is building up his schedule each week though, so I guess that’s encouraging.

Posted By: dyniol53
Date Posted: 05 September 2021 at 11:29pm
How come Cubby and Rob Evs can be out for 6+ months with concussion yet Halfpenny is still allowed to play only a few months after any of his head knocks.

I assume it’s just personal variation in the testing? I hope they’re all ok longer term

-------------
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en

Posted By: haydn_davies
Date Posted: 05 September 2021 at 11:30pm
Didn't Shaun Evans come back onto the field in the second half and play in the back row yesterday?

-------------
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.

Date Posted: 06 September 2021 at 12:22am
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

How come Cubby and Rob Evs can be out for 6+ months with concussion yet Halfpenny is still allowed to play only a few months after any of his head knocks.

I assume it’s just personal variation in the testing? I hope they’re all ok longer term

It’s symptom linked, not so much time related.

Posted By: Bert Scarlet
Date Posted: 06 September 2021 at 1:05am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

It's both symptom linked and time related.  There are certain minimum periods for each of the stages in the Graduated Return to Play programme (GRTP) BUT a player will only be able to progress to the next stage if they are symptom free.

What often happens is that each time a player tries to move to a particular stage in the programme, they experience symptoms, which knock them back down a stage.

All you ever wanted to know about concussion management in rugby union but were afraid to ask, https://www.world.rugby/the-game/player-welfare/medical/concussion/concussion-guidelines" rel="nofollow - https://www.world.rugby/the-game/player-welfare/medical/concussion/concussion-guidelines

Date Posted: 06 September 2021 at 6:11am
Your talking about return to play protocols in general there I think.
I’m linking my comments in reply to Cubby’s specific case. There’s no time limit or time constraint. He will play when totally symptom free.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 06 September 2021 at 7:24am
Nic Cudd sounds an excellent short term ( till Xmas) option. We certainly need cover at 7.

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 06 September 2021 at 8:09am

I’m linking my comments in reply to Cubby’s specific case. There’s no time limit or time constraint. He will play when totally symptom free.

What if a player does not become symptom free before the end of his contract?All players are contracted for a specific period of time,so there will always be a time limit and a time constraint,regardless of the injury.

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 06 September 2021 at 9:13am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

What if a player does not become symptom free before the end of his contract?All players are contracted for a specific period of time,so there will always be a time limit and a time constraint,regardless of the injury.
If a player is still suffering concussion symptoms at the end of their contract the club has to decide whether a new contract is likely to be a good use of their resources, or whether the team would be better off of those resources were allocated to another player(s). That’s the same whether a player has a concussion injury or any other type of injury. 

Date Posted: 06 September 2021 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Bert Scarlet Bert Scarlet wrote:

It's both symptom linked and time related.  There are certain minimum periods for each of the stages in the Graduated Return to Play programme (GRTP) BUT a player will only be able to progress to the next stage if they are symptom free.

What often happens is that each time a player tries to move to a particular stage in the programme, they experience symptoms, which knock them back down a stage.

All you ever wanted to know about concussion management in rugby union but were afraid to ask, https://www.world.rugby/the-game/player-welfare/medical/concussion/concussion-guidelines" rel="nofollow - https://www.world.rugby/the-game/player-welfare/medical/concussion/concussion-guidelines

Thanks for uploading-that's certainly helped my understanding.Clearly there are minimum time periods that have to be adhered to.Having read this I'm struggling to look on the bright side tbh.

Date Posted: 06 September 2021 at 10:30am
It’s a tough one if we recruit a good 7 on big wages and josh and cubby come back we are left with 3 highly paid players for one position, a short term loan would be ideal. The whole concussion issue is a difficult one for all sides to manage medically hopefully we get cubby back sooner rather than later but his heAlth must come first

Date Posted: 06 September 2021 at 6:14pm

There's an assumption that the club would automatically release a player with concussion at the end of his contract in that observation (or for any sort of injury for that matter).

We've had lengthy lay offs to Patchell, Rob Evans, Halfpenny, Blade Thomason and others in recent times. It's a real concern in the modern game.

Date Posted: 06 September 2021 at 8:57pm

There's an assumption that the club would automatically release a player with concussion at the end of his contract in that observation (or for any sort of injury for that matter).

We've had lengthy lay offs to Patchell, Rob Evans, Halfpenny, Blade Thomason and others in recent times. It's a real concern in the modern game.

I'm not assuming anything,but I am recognising the fact that any employer would,at some point in time(normally agreed or at any rate recognised)review the contractual position of any employee whose injury/illness prevents him/her from fulfilling the terms of the employment contract.To suggest that any employee could remain on the sick with "no time limit or time constraint" until such time as they are "symptom free" is absurd-or utopian!

Date Posted: 07 September 2021 at 6:14am
'Time to take the call on Cubby/time is up/time is running out etc' reflects at best an insensitive position, but I guess that's a fan's prerogative.

However a player has been effectively injured at work. With long term concussion related issues high on the agenda right now, including litigation, any club has to demonstrate absolute due diligence in the way it handles players suffering from this awful condition.

Or of course you could just kick them out at the end of their contract and see how that plays out.

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 07 September 2021 at 6:30am
I wonder what our reaction would be if the Ospreys kicked a player out of the club under the same circumstances would be…

Date Posted: 07 September 2021 at 8:17am
Spot on re.litigation Mr Chips.
Two closing observations:
I have avoided  mention of any individual and have commented only in general terms on the retention/release procedure regarding players incapacitated for a long period..
What the Ospreys choose to do is irrelevant,frankly.Years ago we "kicked out"Gavin Thomas,and Dafydd James-both controversial moves at the time.What I found most distasteful was the fact that the club chose to act differently in relation to another playerin similar circumstances,namely Dafydd Jones. 
The central irony in this thread is the fact that the previous management saw fit to release a player with a bad injury record,only for our new coaches to have to select him in the first game of the new season ,largely because of. long-term injury problems amongst the retained players.
Unfortunately I fear that Peel will have to contend with the results of poor decisions made by the previous clowns for some time to come-2/3 seasons I reckon.

Date Posted: 07 September 2021 at 10:06am
It’s one thing not renewing a players contract who is injured and has been for a long time. It’s another thing to terminate a players contrAct citing the 26 week clause especially as we haven’t done it to other players. Is cubby in the welsh 38 man group of contracted players?

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 07 September 2021 at 10:18am

'Time to take the call on Cubby/time is up/time is running out etc' reflects at best an insensitive position, but I guess that's a fan's prerogative.

However a player has been effectively injured at work. With long term concussion related issues high on the agenda right now, including litigation, any club has to demonstrate absolute due diligence in the way it handles players suffering from this awful condition.

Or of course you could just kick them out at the end of their contract and see how that plays out.

Wil, its not often I disagree but on this we have to. Your first line misses the point completely. NO ONE wants to see Cubby go, he's a star player. However you need to take the emotion out of it and think what is best for the player? How would we feel if in 20 years time he has dementia? The club is clearly performing due diligence and if the doctors recommendation is retirement to safeguard his future then so be it even if the player wants to carry on. My question is simply, at what point is it declared unsafe to return to such a high intensity position as 7? 

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Posted By: scarletsbeno1
Date Posted: 07 September 2021 at 11:12am
poor look from the club if we cut ties, in the era of player welfare.
If as believed WRU are covering his wages following injury then I dont see why people are whining. 

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 07 September 2021 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by scarletsbeno1 scarletsbeno1 wrote:

poor look from the club if we cut ties, in the era of player welfare.
If as believed WRU are covering his wages following injury then I dont see why people are whining. 

No one is looking to cut ties, not sure where that is coming from. In fact the point made was that we DONT want another Daf James/Gav Thomas scenario. Its player welfare that is the question.

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 07 September 2021 at 1:08pm
I am pretty sure that player welfare is at the forefront of every decision at PYS. Players are entitled to some privacy with regard to their injury status. Cubby appears to be latest to suffer long standing symptoms which, as explained, could crop up at various stages of his return to play protocols. All involved I am sure will be working with his best interests in mind - enough said I think. 

Posted By: Tony Clifton
Date Posted: 07 September 2021 at 3:48pm
Coombs had some harsh words for Dragons over his treatment after injury:  https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/38389160" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/38389160

As did Cosgrove:  https://www.rugbypass.com/news/rugby-injury-jack-cosgrove-disfigured-and-discarded-the-training-ground-incident-that-claimed-a-young-props-career/" rel="nofollow - https://www.rugbypass.com/news/rugby-injury-jack-cosgrove-disfigured-and-discarded-the-training-ground-incident-that-claimed-a-young-props-career/

Date Posted: 07 September 2021 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Tony Clifton Tony Clifton wrote:

Coombs had some harsh words for Dragons over his treatment after injury:  https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/38389160" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/38389160

As did Cosgrove:  https://www.rugbypass.com/news/rugby-injury-jack-cosgrove-disfigured-and-discarded-the-training-ground-incident-that-claimed-a-young-props-career/" rel="nofollow - https://www.rugbypass.com/news/rugby-injury-jack-cosgrove-disfigured-and-discarded-the-training-ground-incident-that-claimed-a-young-props-career/

The Cosgrove situation in particular was an absolute disgrace. Poor guy 

-------------

Posted By: Seagultaf
Date Posted: 07 September 2021 at 4:31pm
If he was injured playing for Wales, which I think he was, then I believe the WRU cover his wages until he is fit to play or the end of his contract.
If this is the case there is no cost to the Scarlets at the moment.

Posted By: scarletsbeno1
Date Posted: 07 September 2021 at 5:00pm

Originally posted by Tony Clifton Tony Clifton wrote:

The Cosgrove situation in particular was an absolute disgrace. Poor guy 

Aye Dragons wouldn't even arrange him transport to the hospital when he couldn't see out of his one eye. 

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 07 September 2021 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Wil, its not often I disagree but on this we have to. Your first line misses the point completely. NO ONE wants to see Cubby go, he's a star player. However you need to take the emotion out of it and think what is best for the player? How would we feel if in 20 years time he has dementia? The club is clearly performing due diligence and if the doctors recommendation is retirement to safeguard his future then so be it even if the player wants to carry on. My question is simply, at what point is it declared unsafe to return to such a high intensity position as 7? 
Two sides of the same coin. The decision can only be a medical one really, unless Cubby decides he's had enough. The guy was a big part of our success under Pivac. I'm torn, I really want to see him tearing up the Parc, but obviously not at the cost of his health.

Awful situation

-------------
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh

Date Posted: 07 September 2021 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

I was just paraphrasing some comments from this thread and others related to Cubby.

But you are right, I am more invested in this (and Cubby himself) than maybe the average poster, and that slants my view a bit.

You're last question is the most pertinent. Right now I think the Scarlets are doing it absolutely correctly and giving the player every chance to recover.

Posted By: Bert Scarlet
Date Posted: 08 September 2021 at 7:57pm

My understanding is that the GRTP is applicable to all cases.  I don't have any insight to Cubby's particular case but the protocol includes this paragraph,

"Recurrent or multiple concussions

Players with a history of two or more concussions within the past year maybe at greater risk of further brain injury and slower recovery and should seek medical attention from practitioners experienced in concussion management before return to play.

In addition to a history of multiple concussions, players with unusual presentations or prolonged recovery should be assessed and managed by health care providers with experience in sports-related concussions."

What sometimes happens (and we had a case of this at Worcester) is that a player who has suffered a concussion gets to a certain stage in the GRTP and keeps experiencing symptoms at the level.  Each time they experience symptoms I believe that they are supposed to drop back a level, for a slightly longer period, before trying to progress again.

Where they keep struggling at a particular point, or if they have had multiple concussions, a concussion specialist is brought in, who will do brain scans and more in depth testing.

At that point, the specialist will take over the management of the case but my understanding is that the player will still have to go through the same steps in the GRTP, it will just be that the specialist will decide when the player should progress to the next level.

I guess this is what has happened with Cubby - his care is being managed by a specialist, either because of previous concussions and/or he is experiencing recurrent symptoms at a particular stage of the GRTP.

You are right to say that Cubby will play when he is totally symptom free, but that should be the case with any player under the GRTP.

Date Posted: 17 September 2021 at 6:11am
Lezana on the bench for the All Blacks game this weekend.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net