Forum Description: Hall-of-fame for the best SF threads, dedicated to Baz
URL: https://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46447
Printed Date: 17 January 2022 at 4:51pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: R.I.P scarletpimpernel
Posted By: LLANDRE
Subject: R.I.P scarletpimpernel
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 8:07am
 I just heard last night that Roy  had passed away at the age of 52.   He was a regular poster on here  for many years . I first met him in Toulouse  when we won that epic encounter.   Thinking of  his nearest and dearest at this sad time.. Cysgan dawel Roy bach  xx

-------------
West is Best (Fin gwybod)

Replies:
Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 8:26am
Sad news indeed. Condolences to his family.

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 8:28am
Very sad news, sending thoughts to those close to him.

Posted By: Exkixu
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 8:38am
So sorry to hear that. That's no age. Condolences to his family.

-------------
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 8:38am
Wow! A bolt from the blue. 

He was someone always worth a read and I’m glad to have known his thoughts if only via Fever.

Condolences to the family and friends. Such an early age.

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: Rob o'r Bont
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 8:53am
Very sad to hear this.  I never met him but used to enjoy reading his posts on here. 

Condolences to the family.

-------------

Posted By: Owen111
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 9:05am
Sad news. RIP SP 

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 9:06am
Knew Roy for about 30 years. Great guy and rugby mad. Loved his posts on here, said it as it was not afraid of the comebacks. Rip Roy. 

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 9:15am
I only knew him on social media but I always enjoyed debating with him both on here and Facebook. Always said it as it was. A big loss and my thoughts go out to his friends and family.

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: Nine -Three
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 9:17am
So sad to hear about this Martin, had the pleasure of Roy's great company on many Scarlet trips, yes that epic visit to Toulouse being the first, celebrating not only with him at the Stade Ernest-Wallon but all through that evening at Trevor Brenan's bar, where Roy was showering us with champagne, a Great Man, Character and Scarlet. 
So sad, Rest In Peace Roy.

-------------
YMA O HYD

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 9:18am
RIP Pimp, never met him in person but well liked by everyone i've spoken to who did.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2021

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 9:33am
Sad news indeed - often agreed with him, often didn't, but always worth reading. 

RIP, Pimp.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 10:02am
So sad to hear this. One of the stalwarts here with often very salient posts re the Scarlets. Thoughts are with his family . Such a young man in today’s terms !

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Posted By: Rainbow
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 10:17am
Hi Dai, 
I remember that day/night very well. First away trip! Meet Roy, you and Heather on that trip. 
How are you… 
V sad news and v young. 

-------------
Snowflake

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 10:18am
very sad news indeed, deepest condolences to Roys family

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 10:26am
I never met him and we had some differences on here. However my last correspondence with him was on the pm system and was full of warmth and respect. Which was what I felt about him. I have been missing his contributions on here for a while and that there will be no more is sad.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Posted By: dr_martinov
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 10:43am
Sad to hear. Always read Pimp's posts and he provoked some good discussions.

Posted By: Westwalian
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 11:00am
Terrible news. Thoughts are with his family

-------------
Defender of Priestland

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 11:07am

Very sad 😥 news. RIP Roy 💔

Posted By: rctred
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 11:16am
 Very sad to hear this.
 I never met him but used to enjoy reading his posts on here, going to miss them immensely. 
 52 is far too young to go. 

Condolences to the family.

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 11:26am
terrible news...condolences to the family..

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 11:34am
Awful news, good poster And was handy with the it, never met him but seemed a nice guy. Tragic for his family rip

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 12:24pm
That's awful news. No age at all.

Met him a couple of times, not the same character on line and off it, either way he was a proper Scarlets man, knew his rugby, and whilst we shared little common ground you could not mistake his views as they were earnest, considered, and thought through.

Thoughts with his family.

Posted By: dyniol53
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 12:25pm
Very sad, a loss on here and a loss to the Scarlets community. Thoughts with his family

-------------
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 12:29pm
That awful news and at no age at all. Thoughts are with his family and friends 

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Posted By: Mrfwon
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 1:18pm
That's really awful and very sad new CryCryCry I never met Roy in person, but always enjoyed his posts on the forum. He'll be sadly missed for sure CryCryCry

Condolences to all of his family during this difficult time. CryCryCry

-------------
Up Yours Covid!

Posted By: PritchyTheScarlet
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 4:03pm
RIP.  https://emojipedia.org/red-heart/" rel="nofollow -

Posted By: Mundoscarlet
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 5:08pm
So sad 😞

Posted By: anniesboy
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 6:09pm
so sad to hear roy has passed,met him on toulouse trip ,superb company,
scarlet through and through. RIP

Posted By: salmidach
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 9:33pm
Farewell my partner in crime, we had some great times on here winding people up... Going to miss the big guy so much!

-------------
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett

Posted By: BrummieScarlet
Date Posted: 15 September 2021 at 10:07pm
So sorry to hear, my thoughts and prayers are with the family

Posted By: Speedy
Date Posted: 16 September 2021 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

Farewell my partner in crime, we had some great times on here winding people up... Going to miss the big guy so much!

Id like to echo these sentiments. Totally gutted. what a character. Full of west walian wit and cheekiness. No matter what state he would wind people up into online, when people met him they couldnt help love him.

I am trying to locate the famous pic of him hugging Martin Madden on the pitch at Ashton Gate, strange that we would have been going back there this season.

He was an inspiriation and gave me his blessing to use the Scarlet Pimpernel handle for my youtube channel and social media accounts. We are planning to make the Edinburgh watchalong a dedication to him. If anyone has some nice photos please forward them so we can put something together. Ive had permission of his family to do it. Also if anyone wants to pop in the chat and share their memories of such a larger than life Scarlet fan and Turk please feel free.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos

Posted By: NeylandAllBlack
Date Posted: 16 September 2021 at 5:05pm
That's sh*t news. Thoughts are with his friends and family.

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 16 September 2021 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Id like to echo these sentiments. Totally gutted. what a character. Full of west walian wit and cheekiness. No matter what state he would wind people up into online, when people met him they couldnt help love him.

I am trying to locate the famous pic of him hugging Martin Madden on the pitch at Ashton Gate, strange that we would have been going back there this season.

He was an inspiriation and gave me his blessing to use the Scarlet Pimpernel handle for my youtube channel and social media accounts. We are planning to make the Edinburgh watchalong a dedication to him. If anyone has some nice photos please forward them so we can put something together. Ive had permission of his family to do it. Also if anyone wants to pop in the chat and share their memories of such a larger than life Scarlet fan and Turk please feel free.

Lovely gesture Speedy. Lots of photos on Facebook. 

Posted By: Speedy
Date Posted: 16 September 2021 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Lovely gesture Speedy. Lots of photos on Facebook. 

Thanks pal. Makes us all stand back and want to value every moment of our time together.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos

Posted By: Themadwalker
Date Posted: 16 September 2021 at 8:40pm
 As a life long friend of Roy's I'm  truly gutted at his  passing , he had been ill for several month's with cancer ,  it wasn't common knowledge and Roy didn't want the fuss  
We spoke on last Friday but even though the treatment had left him drained he was in good spirits 

So it came as a great shock a few day later to hear of his passing  

A great character, a life long Scarlet and a very generous man he lived and breathed Rugby,  especially Llanelli 

For my pains I support the Osprey's, but for some reason Roy would never go to watch them, 
I know many of the posters on this thread from the different trips he used to drag me on, 
Toulouse  being one of the most memorable  Ulster and Bath as well and ill see if i can forward some of the photos of those weekends 

but just one small story   

One match Roy was keen to attend. It was a Cardiff game at Stradey Park mid 1996 ish, I had invited a work mate to join us , couple of beers at the Ranch .
 Cardiff  were splashing the cash at that time and had signed   Justin Thomas a full back .He played a few games for Llanelli the previous season before moving to Cardiff for more money. This was his first time back in front of the Stradey crowd  and boy was Roy ready for him.  
From the kick off Roy was screaming at him "Judas Judas Thomas" , ever time a high ball went up
" Money grabbing Judas " at the top of his lungs I think Justin Thomas was more scared of Roy than anything else , he followed him up and down the touch line . 
 I swear he didn't catch a ball all night and
to this day my work colleague askes me about Roy because we just laughed all game 
Hope to catch you all at the up and coming  games and we can have a pint and remember 
Roysie  

B               

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 16 September 2021 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Themadwalker Themadwalker wrote:

As a life long friend of Roy's I'm  truly gutted at his  passing , he had been ill for several month's with cancer ,  it wasn't common knowledge and Roy didn't want the fuss  
We spoke on last Friday but even though the treatment had left him drained he was in good spirits 

A great character, a life long Scarlet and a very generous man he lived and breathed Rugby,  especially Llanelli 

For my pains I support the Osprey's, but for some reason Roy would never go to watch them, 
I know many of the posters on this thread from the different trips he used to drag me on, 
Toulouse  being one of the most memorable  Ulster and Bath as well and ill see if i can forward some of the photos of those weekends 

but just one small story   

One match Roy was keen to attend. It was a Cardiff game at Stradey Park mid 1996 ish, I had invited a work mate to join us , couple of beers at the Ranch .
 Cardiff  were splashing the cash at that time and had signed   Justin Thomas a full back .He played a few games for Llanelli the previous season before moving to Cardiff for more money. This was his first time back in front of the Stradey crowd  and boy was Roy ready for him.  
From the kick off Roy was screaming at him "Judas Judas Thomas" , ever time a high ball went up
" Money grabbing Judas " at the top of his lungs I think Justin Thomas was more scared of Roy than anything else , he followed him up and down the touch line . 
to this day my work colleague askes me about Roy because we just laughed all game 
Hope to catch you all at the up and coming  games and we can have a pint and remember 
Roysie  

B               
Thanks for sharing that brilliant memory amongst the many you must have.

From the many that led the way before Roy, Baz and many other stars who’ve gone before us, we who remain to post stuff on here can be nothing but thankful of the expressions of personality and Scarlets passion.

While the jury may be out on what we actually achieved under Brad Mooar, no one can deny that his go to phrase of Carpe Diem is never more underlined than when remembering folk who can no longer attend matches, post on here etc.
Thanks TMW

-------------

Posted By: gaffer
Date Posted: 16 September 2021 at 9:03pm
Very sad to hear this. Condolences to his family and to his friends.

-------------
What's going on?

Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: 16 September 2021 at 9:31pm
Argued with him almost every day about the Scarlets on the early Internet forums in the late 90s/early 00s, he was a fantastic wind up merchant. Met him soon after and shared many nights out with him in the UK and in France, most memorably the Toulouse trip in 2006. He was a real character and personality, great fun to be around. Terrible news which has stunned me a bit since I found out. Cheers Roy and rest in peace.

-------------
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7YKNn2JmGk" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2010/11 < > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkOKLtQs6m0" rel="nofollow - 2009/10 <

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 16 September 2021 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Themadwalker Themadwalker wrote:

but just one small story   

Roysie  

B               
Top, top post

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 17 September 2021 at 12:44am
How sad. Another reminder that life is short and precious. RIP.

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 18 September 2021 at 11:06am
First met pimp outside the boater in bath where he bought a spare ticket i had for the sunday game against bath after saturday's game was cancelled,a lorry driver friend of mine called in a random pub near london when he saw roy with a scarlet shirt on they started talking and when he found out my mate was from ammanford he asked do you know nigel the roofer?cancer is an absolute B*****d.
                                            R.I.P. Pimp.

Posted By: Tim Opolis
Date Posted: 18 September 2021 at 2:57pm
Only now seen this thread. Saddened by this news. Met him first in Toulon and like others I was taken aback with the differance in his persona on here compared to him in real life. Chatted over a couple of beers and remember his warm smile and friendly demeanor, very much enjoyed his company. Saw him maybe a couple of times thereafter and he was a guy that i enjoyed bumping into.
Condolences to his family and friends. RIP Pimp.

-------------
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.

Posted By: redeyes
Date Posted: 18 September 2021 at 5:34pm
My first post on here for years. Roy was my oldest friend, we grew up together and kept in regular contact up until the end. When I had the news on Tuesday I was devastated. However, the posts in this thread have lifted my heart.

-------------
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

Posted By: PearlJam
Date Posted: 19 September 2021 at 4:22pm
Incredibly sad stuff. Like many of the longer standing members of the Forum, I had my run ins with him - but ultimately, you could recognize that it was his passion for the Scarlets that spurred him on here. I never met him in person, but losing a member of the "community" feels very close to home. 

Some great stories in this thread. RIP, Roy.

-------------
If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.

Posted By: M.M.
Date Posted: 19 September 2021 at 6:46pm
Such sad news. My deepest condolences to his family.
 As nice in real life as he was belligerent on this forum.
Had the pleasure of his company up in the Madejski Stadium in Reading for a HC game against London Irish many years ago.
He was crying tears of joy when Stephen Jones kicked the winning penalty at the posts we were all behind. His passion for our team was there for all to see.

R.I.P. Roy. Top guy.

Posted By: Highburyscarlet
Date Posted: 20 September 2021 at 5:56pm
 It's hard to take in. I had to check this morning that I didn't have a bad dream. My heart goes out to his family in their time of grief.  I had the pleasure of knowing Roy. He was one of life's good guys. Its a terrible loss.
He was a Scarlets stalwart and It would be fitting for some type of mention at the next game. Roy got took out ofLlanelli but Llanelli never took out of Roy. 

-------------
once more into the breach

Posted By: swissscarlets
Date Posted: 20 September 2021 at 8:50pm
So sad RIP Roy a true Turk.

-------------
west is best.

Posted By: Huwbach
Date Posted: 25 September 2021 at 6:16pm
RIP PIMP - I liked his honestly - a true scarlet man. 

Posted By: sgsmorgan
Date Posted: 26 September 2021 at 1:20am
poo...just read this...so so sad. I loved chatting with Pimp. Never shy and retiring and always contraversial but always from a view point of being an out and out lover and fan of the Scarlets.

RIP Pimp.

Posted By: lofty evans
Date Posted: 15 October 2021 at 9:55pm
Belated condolences for the big man. Shocked to read on his passing and at a young age, enjoyed winding me up and met him on a few occasions and even on the first time I met him, he didn't admit who he was...typical of his humour tbh. 
Another Scarlet fanatic lost to the club, I was talking to my father how many have gone and its staggering this year....lost so many Scarlet friends its heartbreaking.....thanks Pimp for the words and memories .

Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

-------------
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Posted By: connor boy
Date Posted: 01 January 2022 at 6:11pm
Sorry to be reading this. 

-------------
Pigeon Toed Orange Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel..........

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net