URL: https://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46486
Printed Date: 07 December 2021 at 6:06am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Team for Munster
Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Subject: Team for Munster
Date Posted: 05 October 2021 at 12:24pm
Some tough calls if Louisi & Aaron are fit and Lions are back in the frame :-

15. Johnny Mc 14. Tom Rogers 13. Foxy 12. Scott 11. Steff 10. Costelow 9. Blacker
1. Rob 2. Ryan 3. Samson 4. Louisi 5. Tom Price 6. Blade 7. Dan 8. Sione

16. Ken 17. Wyn 18. WGJ 19. Morgan Jones/Jac Price 20. Aaron 21. Cawdor 22. Dan 23. Liam

We have some doubts about a few selected - Louisi - either Morgan or Jac to slot in with other on the bench; Aaron replace with Shaun Evans or Iestyn Rees if fit; Wyn - Phil Price; Liam - Ioan.

Replies:
Posted By: hartson11
Date Posted: 05 October 2021 at 1:21pm
Sanjay out of Munster, Leinster and Benetton games as per Peel via BBC 

Date Posted: 05 October 2021 at 1:30pm
Guess he will start against the All Blacks.

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 05 October 2021 at 1:40pm
For info Sanjay has had he appendix out. 

Posted By: Tony Clifton
Date Posted: 05 October 2021 at 6:25pm
Johnny Wills might be available, could see him on the bench?

Anybody have updates on the longer term injuries? Tomi has been out for a year now, hoping his rehab is coming along well.

Date Posted: 06 October 2021 at 9:13am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Some tough calls if Louisi & Aaron are fit and Lions are back in the frame :-

15. Johnny Mc 14. Tom Rogers 13. Foxy 12. Scott 11. Steff 10. Costelow 9. Blacker
1. Rob 2. Ryan 3. Samson 4. Louisi 5. Tom Price 6. Blade 7. Dan 8. Sione

16. Ken 17. Wyn 18. WGJ 19. Morgan Jones/Jac Price 20. Aaron 21. Cawdor 22. Dan 23. Liam

We have some doubts about a few selected - Louisi - either Morgan or Jac to slot in with other on the bench; Aaron replace with Shaun Evans or Iestyn Rees if fit; Wyn - Phil Price; Liam - Ioan.

Ok we have had some updates so we could have both Louisi & Aaron back. 3 Lions available so all on bench as selection above. Liam is out & Johnny Williams is available so he would probably get the 23 shirt as he is versatile having played 10 & 15 in his time. Good news on both Patchell & Josh. Josh ready in 1/2 weeks so could feature against Benetton. Patchell back running so he could also at a push face Benetton. Still no update on Cubby. 

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 07 October 2021 at 8:30am
I can't remember what happened when we last played a Sunday game-will the side be announced tomorrow or on Saturday?

Date Posted: 07 October 2021 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

I can't remember what happened when we last played a Sunday game-will the side be announced tomorrow or on Saturday?

Tomorrow I think Dic.

Date Posted: 07 October 2021 at 8:49am

Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Tomorrow I think Dic.

Excellent.Cheers

Date Posted: 07 October 2021 at 8:52am
We really need our pack to front up this week, Munster will look to exploit us around the fringes & using their driving maul too.

Date Posted: 07 October 2021 at 9:00am
Yes a big test for our forwards for sure. Weather forecast looks Ok so we need to look at tempo and width. I notice that RG Snyman made his injury comeback last week so he will only boost their front 5 resources. As I said previously the next two weeks may have come a little early in the season for us - the two best sides in the league will show us all where we are & the undoubted work we have to do. 

Big opportunities for some of our younger lads to show they have come of age - Dan Davis, Costelow, Blacker, Tom Rogers, Morgan Jones, Jac Price & for some of our ex Wales squad boys to remind Wayne of their talents - Rob Evans, Scott, Samson, Aaron & Johnny McNicholl. I can't wait. 

Posted By: Sant
Date Posted: 07 October 2021 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

We really need our pack to front up this week, Munster will look to exploit us around the fringes & using their driving maul too.

You're right, although it does give me comfort to remember that our pack, when we beat them in the PRO 12 final, was not heavier than the team we are likely to select. They might have been quicker and better jacklers but I doubt if they were heavier.

-------------
Then raise the scarlet standard high.
Within its shade we'll live and die,
Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,
We'll keep the red flag flying here.

Posted By: hoppy
Date Posted: 07 October 2021 at 6:36pm

SUNDAY, 10th OCTOBER

Scarlets v Munster Rugby

• Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli - KO 14.00 IRE & UK / 15.00 ITA & SA
  • Referee: Ben Blain (SRU, 13th league game)
  • AR 1: Craig Evans (WRU) AR 2: Simon Mills (WRU)
  • TMO: Neil Paterson (SRU)
  • Live on: S4C, RTÉ 2, Premier Sports 1 & URC TV.

Date Posted: 07 October 2021 at 6:40pm
Looking forward to the game on Sunday 

Will the welsh boys be involved on Sunday
Are tickets selling well for Sunday 

Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 12:21pm

Scarlets: Johnny McNicholl; Tom Rogers, Jonathan Davies (capt), Scott Williams, Steff Evans; Sam Costelow, Gareth Davies; Rob Evans, Ken Owens, Samson Lee, Lloyd Ashley, Aaron Shingler, Blade Thomson, Dan Davis, Sione Kalamafoni.

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Wyn Jones, WillGriff John, Morgan Jones, Shaun Evans, Kieran Hardy, Dan Jones, Johnny Williams.

Munster: Matt Gallagher; Calvin Nash, Liam Coombes, Dan Goggin, Shane Daly; Ben Healy, Neil Cronin; Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron, Stephen Archer; Thomas Ahern, Fineen Wycherley; Jack O'Donoghue (capt), Chris Cloete, Jack O'Sullivan.

Replacements: Kevin O'Byrne, Josh Wycherley, John Ryan, RG Snyman, Alex Kendellen, Paddy Patterson, Jack Crowley, Jack Daly.

Posted By: Owen111
Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 12:22pm
Much of a 2nd team for Munster wrapping the stars up for the v Connacht 

Posted By: ScarletCyclops
Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 12:46pm
So we are 3 weeks into the new season and Munster are fielding pretty much a 2nd team. I can see the logic given the new Euro qualification rules, but surely this is to the detriment of the URC?
Thoughts??

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 12:48pm
Good side for us. good Ashley is ready to play...for the rest, great impact from the bench.

Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 12:54pm
Surprised that Munster have not selected Beirne or Murray along with Carbury etc. Certainly not their first team. Get our performance right & we can win this one. Welcome to the Scarlet Lloyd - go well. 

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by ScarletCyclops ScarletCyclops wrote:

So we are 3 weeks into the new season and Munster are fielding pretty much a 2nd team. I can see the logic given the new Euro qualification rules, but surely this is to the detriment of the URC?
Thoughts??

2nd side, I think you might mean some different players.
Teams like Munster can afford to give the whole squad game time in the first month of the season, with the expectation of similar outcomes.

Hats off to them.

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by ScarletCyclops ScarletCyclops wrote:

Thoughts??

Not bothered as long as we win and hopefully a bonus point as well. We are clearly thin at 8 as we keep on playing Sione for 80 minutes and also at 7 where Dan plays yet again. Likewise locks where Shings possibly has to play as there’s no one else, despite him being 50 -50 ish earlier in the week. The fact that Lloyd starts on Sunday is further evidence of this problem. 
And it’s only 3 games into the season 😱 I hope Ashley shines for obvious reasons- fresh chance for him as well! 

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 1:06pm

Come  on the Scarlets!!! 

Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 1:31pm
7 changes by us, 11 by Munster from last week's 23.

Saying this is a Munster 2nd team is off the mark.

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 1:32pm
Certainly not Munster's strongest squad, but they are no mugs and I'd hate for the Scarlets to go into this complacent. 

Good to see a few first teamers back for us, and welcome to Ashley... subs interesting as no back 3 cover for a change... presumably, Rogers would play 15 if needed, with someone else playing on the wing... Scott probably, or Johnny Williams. 

Our front row subs look especially powerful, and could make the difference if brought on around the 50-55 min mark.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 1:50pm
How many of those munster players are first
Choices?  The likes of earls zebo del allendye carberry murray kilcoyne snyman omahoney beirme and coombs are all playing. No excuses if we don’t win this

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

7 changes by us, 11 by Munster from last week's 23.

Saying this is a Munster 2nd team is off the mark.
No judgments here, but I feel a bit better about our chances than I did this morning. 

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 2:36pm
I’m a bit surprised that Lloyd Ashley has gone straight into the team. Is Morgan Jones carrying a bump? I would’ve expected the player who is familiar with our lineout, maul etc to be starting with the newbie on the bench.

Posted By: Rob o'r Bont
Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 2:38pm
I like our starting XV and the bench is pretty strong as well. Fancy us for this one as long as we don't have a repeat of last season where we wiped the floor with Munster for 60 minutes and then totally caved in.

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 2:39pm

Scarlets: Johnny McNicholl; Tom Rogers, Jonathan Davies (capt), Scott Williams, Steff Evans; Sam Costelow, Gareth Davies; Rob Evans, Ken Owens, Samson Lee, Lloyd Ashley, Aaron Shingler, Blade Thomson, Dan Davis, Sione Kalamafoni.

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Wyn Jones, WillGriff John, Morgan Jones, Shaun Evans, Kieran Hardy, Dan Jones, Johnny Williams.

Munster: Matt Gallagher; Calvin Nash, Liam Coombes, Dan Goggin, Shane Daly; Ben Healy, Neil Cronin; Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron, Stephen Archer; Thomas Ahern, Fineen Wycherley; Jack O'Donoghue (capt), Chris Cloete, Jack O'Sullivan.

Replacements: Kevin O'Byrne, Josh Wycherley, John Ryan, RG Snyman, Alex Kendellen, Paddy Patterson, Jack Crowley, Jack Daly.

Where is Lewis Rawlins? Not listed in the unavailable list so is he injured or not?

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2021

Posted By: jimmywilde
Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

I’m a bit surprised that Lloyd Ashley has gone straight into the team. Is Morgan Jones carrying a bump? I would’ve expected the player who is familiar with our lineout, maul etc to be starting with the newbie on the bench.
I thought Jones looked good last season. He seems to have slipped down the pecking order lately. 

Posted By: KID A
Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 3:30pm
Some comments from the lovely lads on the Munster forum:

Quote Barely an A side. Could be a long night.

Quote I hope I’m wrong obviously, but it could be a long afternoon. That’s not even a second 15 in most positions. I’d take a losing bonus point if it was on offer.

Quote That side is liable to be hammered, they've cotton wooled our strongest 23.

Quote Not happy with that selection. Doing our best to throw away league points

Quote Disappointed with that selection, I was hoping to see more of a mix between younger players and experienced players both in this game plus the Connacht game. I get rotation has to happen as does development, but seems too black / white. Scarlets went from +2 to -5 in the handicap beating.

Quote Jaysus, I've just now seen the team. I'm no longer looking forward to Sunday.

Quote Terrible selection. The squad is big enough to rotate while not really weakening it

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 4:43pm
One of my common Nightmare Is their comeback of last year...we need a convincet win and no worry about their second team selection 

Posted By: dyniol53
Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Some comments from the lovely lads on the Munster forum:

Quote Barely an A side. Could be a long night.

Quote I hope I’m wrong obviously, but it could be a long afternoon. That’s not even a second 15 in most positions. I’d take a losing bonus point if it was on offer.

Quote That side is liable to be hammered, they've cotton wooled our strongest 23.

Quote Not happy with that selection. Doing our best to throw away league points

Quote Disappointed with that selection, I was hoping to see more of a mix between younger players and experienced players both in this game plus the Connacht game. I get rotation has to happen as does development, but seems too black / white. Scarlets went from +2 to -5 in the handicap beating.

Quote Jaysus, I've just now seen the team. I'm no longer looking forward to Sunday.

Quote Terrible selection. The squad is big enough to rotate while not really weakening it

Sad! If we win then we’ve beaten a Munster 2nd XV, and if we lose we’ve lost to a Munster 2nd XV!

-------------
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en

Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by jimmywilde jimmywilde wrote:

I thought Jones looked good last season. He seems to have slipped down the pecking order lately. 

If I had to guess, I'd say him and Jac have been given some tough S&C targets by the new regime and they are working towards those. Total guesswork of course!!

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: jimmywilde
Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Originally posted by jimmywilde jimmywilde wrote:

If I had to guess, I'd say him and Jac have been given some tough S&C targets by the new regime and they are working towards those. Total guesswork of course!!
I thought I'd seen something about fitness a few weeks back but I can't find it. I was beginning to think I'd dreamt it.
Good luck to them both.

Posted By: Dai Guevara
Date Posted: 08 October 2021 at 10:34pm
I still doubt the wisdom of playing Shingler in the second row. Blade supposedly has a higher "power rating" Perhaps it would be possible to swap them round for the scrums.

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 09 October 2021 at 7:24am
No excuses if we don’t win with bonus point Munster obviously don’t rate us, let’s go out and show them they are wrong. 

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 09 October 2021 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

No excuses if we don’t win with bonus point Munster obviously don’t rate us, let’s go out and show them they are wrong. 
Calm down Why!
We have the minerals to win it, but tat Munster team isn't a bunch of mugs!
I'll be ecstatic with a win.  Even better if we can deny them a LBP.

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 09 October 2021 at 9:59am

Calm down Why!

Spot on Wasp. We can only take care of our performance. No team pulling on the Munster shirt will be easy to beat but we are an improving team searching for that consistently high level of performance.

Date Posted: 09 October 2021 at 10:42am
A win would be superb, obviously.

Posted By: Mr Lee91
Date Posted: 09 October 2021 at 12:15pm
I'm a little bit confused by our second row selection, based on the first 2 games the pecking order seems to be;
Lousi
Shingler
(Ashley)
T. Price
J. Price
M. Jones
So for Morgan to be benching ahead of the Prices, who are available, looks inconsistent.

No mention of Lezana? Thought he was back with us

Happy to see Costelow getting starting opportunities.
Really hope Conbeer gets a run of games soon, can't find form if you don't play

-------------
As long as you win it once, you'll never be forgotten

Posted By: Sandman
Date Posted: 09 October 2021 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Mr Lee91 Mr Lee91 wrote:

I'm a little bit confused by our second row selection, based on the first 2 games the pecking order seems to be;
Lousi
Shingler
(Ashley)
T. Price
J. Price
M. Jones
So for Morgan to be benching ahead of the Prices, who are available, looks inconsistent.

Don’t know what the score is with Josh Helps, but he was in the gym this morning. Seems to be the forgotten man. He’s always impressed me with his work ethic and attitude. If fit, he should be considered for a place especially with our current situation. 

-------------
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)

Date Posted: 09 October 2021 at 12:53pm

Lousi
Shingler
(Ashley)
T. Price
J. Price
M. Jones

Lezana has a hamstring injury.
Tom Price is on the bench, Morgan isn't

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 09 October 2021 at 12:54pm
I think there's a bit of rotation going on but in any case every time there's a change of coaching team, some faces don't fit that previously did.

Posted By: ChrisX
Date Posted: 09 October 2021 at 1:02pm
Its a Munster squad missing 17 internationals I think

We have to be targeting a home win

Leinster squad today also looks like they have one eye on our fixture next week with some bigger names rested

Date Posted: 09 October 2021 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

I think there's a bit of rotation going on but in any case every time there's a change of coaching team, some faces don't fit that previously did.

Obviously we need to win the game, but why are they rotating their squad against us? A bit rich given the Irish complain that the league isn’t competitive enough and then rotate their squad to play away from home?

Maybe they think they’ll put 50 on us like Sale last year 

-------------

Date Posted: 09 October 2021 at 1:28pm

Rotation, Jac Price put in a thunderous shift! Making 18 tackles! While Tom Price suffered a head injury. 

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 09 October 2021 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Obviously we need to win the game, but why are they rotating their squad against us? A bit rich given the Irish complain that the league isn’t competitive enough and then rotate their squad to play away from home?

I was thinking of our locks rather than the Munster side. Reading their forum, this doesn't seem to be squad rotation, just wholesale changes with their strongest side being reserved for Connacht- that fixture being more important for Euro qualification because its an all Ireland fixture. I don't understand that. 

One of their posters got told off for calling this selection a bunch of muppets, a reference to what the first teamers of their great team of 15 or so years ago called the squad fringe players. But this team they have selected to play us are all pro rugby players- they all have considerable skills and I'm sure they'll give it all tomorrow. We'll have to play well to win ( ie not like the Os last night). But if we do play well, we may well win very easily.

Date Posted: 09 October 2021 at 4:13pm

Calm down Why!

Spot on Wasp. We can only take care of our performance. No team pulling on the Munster shirt will be easy to beat but we are an improving team searching for that consistently high level of performance.
I’m very calm thanks just if we playing side missing 17 internationals, we missing very few the. We should be targeting a big win if we want to be competent in league. 

-------------

Posted By: KID A
Date Posted: 09 October 2021 at 4:17pm

Calm down Why!

I’m very calm thanks just if we playing side missing 17 internationals, we missing very few the. We should be targeting a big win if we want to be competent in league. 

We can target whatever we want but the fact is we don't have the squad depth that others have - as is evidenced with us having to loan players that go straight into our pack.

When did any team get 'a big win' over Munster?

Posted By: Grammar School Boy
Date Posted: 09 October 2021 at 4:23pm
Just win and take it week by week..

Posted By: crj89
Date Posted: 09 October 2021 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Calm down Why!

We can target whatever we want but the fact is we don't have the squad depth that others have - as is evidenced with us having to loan players that go straight into our pack.

When did any team get 'a big win' over Munster?

Too true, other than the Pro14 final display I'll be happy if we can just get a win. They'll be a class side whatever team they put out. 

Date Posted: 09 October 2021 at 4:59pm
Absolutely.

Date Posted: 09 October 2021 at 5:25pm

You treat Munster as they are full strength, simple. 

Date Posted: 09 October 2021 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

You treat Munster as they are full strength, simple. 

Great take.

Munster have put one over on us down the years with much less firepower.

We are a team on a new journey.

Posted By: swm
Date Posted: 09 October 2021 at 10:10pm
Let's go all out and do the club proud the team and the fans let's get the enclosure bouncing on Sunday come on Scarlets let's make a statement against Munster tomorrow

-------------
steve and ang

Posted By: Mr Lee91
Date Posted: 09 October 2021 at 11:08pm

Lousi
Shingler
(Ashley)
T. Price
J. Price
M. Jones

Lezana has a hamstring injury.
Tom Price is on the bench, Morgan isn't

When did that change happen?
Morgan was named in the original announcement, I can see it's been changed on website. 

If Lezana is carrying an injury why didn't he appear on our injury list 🤔

-------------
As long as you win it once, you'll never be forgotten

Posted By: Tiobraid
Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 4:36am
It is very much a second string Munster side, third string in several positions; they are taking a big gamble and will be lucky to even get a losing BP. Scarlets management must be pretty happy!

Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 4:48am
To be honest, as a Munster supporter, I feel embarrassed by our selection; it’s one thing to give the youngsters and fringe players a go, but this seems disrespectful to the League and to Scarlets.  

Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 5:41am
Let’s circle back post game for a review.

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 6:51am

Let’s circle back post game for a review.

Yes. we've won nothing just yet.

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: haydn_davies
Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 8:16am
We can use whatever cliches we want - "It's 15 v 15", "We have to treat them with respect, like they're starting their strongest XV", "We haven't won a point yet", "There's no such thing as a poor Munster side", etc. They're all perfectly valid, and we can't take any game lightly.

But as long as we've trained well all week and are as clinical as we were against the Lions, we should win. As has been said in this thread, it's a much changed Munster side from the ones that have played their first two games - 11 changes I believe to their side that played last week.  Packed with a load of young inexperienced players making their first starts of the season.

I'll be hugely disappointed with anything less than a convincing win.

These are the type of games that you must target to win at home - and win well.  Weather is good. Form is good.  I see no reason not to expect 4 tries either. Ymlaen.

-------------
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Just for our SA friends - Weste is die beste!

Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 9:46am

Calm down Why!

Poor choice of words by me. Failed attempt at comedy! Apologies.

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Tiobraid Tiobraid wrote:

To be honest, as a Munster supporter, I feel embarrassed by our selection; it’s one thing to give the youngsters and fringe players a go, but this seems disrespectful to the League and to Scarlets.  

So you are saying that the players selected are not good enough to be in the Munster squad?  It beggars belief that this is the case and you are denigrating your proud region but even suggesting such a thing.

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: Speedy
Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 10:09am

You wont be saying that if they win, I will be honest the selection has made us more nervous. Pressure is all on our bois now. I am a bit surprised by the selection tho. This could have been a big clash and a chance to showcase two great teams head to head in this new league.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

You wont be saying that if they win, I will be honest the selection has made us more nervous. Pressure is all on our bois now. I am a bit surprised by the selection tho. This could have been a big clash and a chance to showcase two great teams head to head in this new league.
Yes I agree. Munster arrogance or complacency? I remain so worried about our lack of depth  in second row ( and bulk)  open side and 8 . Very vulnerable especially on 7 and 8

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 10:32am
What I don’t understand is why Munster have picked a team without their stars and reduce their chances of a win so that they are fresh for Connacht, thereby targeting a contest where they have to beat Leinster, once, probably twice, to get the prize of European Qualification.

Surely, they’d be better targeting less difficult to beat sides?!

-------------

Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 11:27am

The derbies are huge and far more important than ever. With the Pools as they are. Munster like Leinster do not have a great record at the Parc

Posted By: Speedy
Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

What I don’t understand is why Munster have picked a team without their stars and reduce their chances of a win so that they are fresh for Connacht, thereby targeting a contest where they have to beat Leinster, once, probably twice, to get the prize of European Qualification.

Surely, they’d be better targeting less difficult to beat sides?!
All fixtures count towards their shield position, its pointless beating connaght if they are throwing other game, which makes you wonder if they understand the rules properly? Is that the reason for them resting players?

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7pGq1i2jhev2YLcZ89h7Q/videos

Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

So you are saying that the players selected are not good enough to be in the Munster squad?  It beggars belief that this is the case and you are denigrating your proud region but even suggesting such a thing.
Not in the least am I saying such a thing. Each and everyone of those players is worthy of a spot in the squad but putting them out all together just does not make sense to me. I am not denigrating my proud region at all, but I’m quite certain if Scarlets put out on the field their second and third choice players in most positions it would create a similar reaction on this forum too 

Posted By: Airdaa
Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 12:42pm
My understanding is that the top team in each of the pools will qualify for the Euros.
What is not clear entirely whether all games count or is it the outcome of the “Derby”  games that decide the pools. If it is the later then Munster are right to prioritise the Connacht Match. Connacht is always a tricky fixture for the other provinces because their fans expect them to win but will give them little credit for a victory and all he’ll will be let loose if they lose. I suspect that it would be like Scarlets v Dragons in Wales. Dragons like Connacht can produce a result against the perceived wisdom at times.

Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

You’re right. I won’t be saying that if Munster wins; I’ll be delighted to eat the humble pie. However, I don’t expect such an outcome. Our games v Scarlets, especially in Wales, are always difficult for our full strength sides; this seems a bridge too far entirely. 

Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Airdaa Airdaa wrote:

My understanding is that the top team in each of the pools will qualify for the Euros.
What is not clear entirely whether all games count or is it the outcome of the “Derby”  games that decide the pools. If it is the later then Munster are right to prioritise the Connacht Match. Connacht is always a tricky fixture for the other provinces because their fans expect them to win but will give them little credit for a victory and all he’ll will be let loose if they lose. I suspect that it would be like Scarlets v Dragons in Wales. Dragons like Connacht can produce a result against the perceived wisdom at times.
I think all points won in the competition will contribute to rankings in the regional pools. Possibly in theory at least you could have a team finishing 9th in the main table and qualifying for Europe at the expense of someone who came 8th.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 1:21pm
This is the easiest explanation I’ve seen on qualification….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXQ2Xu8fgmQ" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXQ2Xu8fgmQ

Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 2:55pm
Well so far my fears and concerns about Munster have been dispelled. I know there’s 40 mins to go but at least we made a good start - it seems Scarlets believed, like many Munster supporters did, that they’d be facing a weak team? 

Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 3:30pm
Left the ground at 60 mins, this team don't deserve 20 more minutes of my time

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2021

Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 3:53pm
Outstanding by Munster but, sorry to say it, shocking from Scarlets. I never expected either performance. 

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Left the ground at 60 mins, this team don't deserve 20 more minutes of my time

Ditto, I've got better things to do with my remaining time on earth. I feel let down and disappointed by the Scarlet's who I've supported for 65 years.

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: dr_martinov
Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 5:38pm

Outstanding by Munster but, sorry to say it, shocking from Scarlets. I never expected either performance. 

It was shocking and shipping a 6 try loss at home is enormously painful. I wish it was an out the blue event. Munster had a great gameplan and a top team performance from start to finish with key individual contributions, mostly in the pack, meant you were the better team start to finish. Concerning from our point of view as you had a weakened team out but take nothing from the job they did on us. We are not good, not what a Scarlets team should be.

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 5:43pm
Apart from two precious years with Pivac we have been a region in decline since the early/mid 2000s. Something special is needed because if this continues we may end up becoming an irrelevance, a smaller and smaller part of the rugby landscape in Europe.

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 7:26pm

LOL

Posted By: tannerbankboy
Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

LOL
Some comments, however right they may have seemed at the time, just don't age well.

LOL

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 9:33pm
That was awful but did people honestly think Dwayne was going to be able to sort everything out after a mere three games? There’s some serious underlying issues at the club and it’s going to take a significant amount of time for Dwayne to turn things around. 

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

You can’t take it all out on Why, I couldn’t even see the game through all of the egg on my face 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

That was awful but did people honestly think Dwayne was going to be able to sort everything out after a mere three games? There’s some serious underlying issues at the club and it’s going to take a significant amount of time for Dwayne to turn things around. 
There's a difference between expecting him to sort everything out after 3 games, and us getting hammered by that Munster side.

Your point generally though is a big part of why my interest has been waning over the last few years. When Pivac arrived, it took him 3 seasons to turn us into a league winning side and we got to enjoy the fruits of that labour for about a year before the union came knocking and, understandably, off went he and Stephen Jones.

It's just a cycle of: get a coach in and give them time to mold us while we loiter mid-table, if they're good they'll likely get lured to the international game once we look decent, or if they're not great we'll probably have to sack them. Rinse, repeat.

-------------

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 10:21pm

any idea when the likes of cubby and patchell are due back?

Date Posted: 10 October 2021 at 10:29pm
Training will be interesting this week and intense sorting out why they played poorly 

Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 6:56am

one of the biggest issues is a lack of investment in key areas like 2nd row.

Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 7:43am
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

LOL
Some comments, however right they may have seemed at the time, just don't age well.

LOL
Stand by the comments if we want to be challenging then we should be beating second teams. We have bought backs to the point that we now are overstocked with wings and centres. Did we really need to get Scott and Conbeer back when the most obvious weakness are in the second and back row yet we bring in Price and an Osprey 5 th choice albeit for a month loan.
See Glasgow are looking at SA second row from Sale they can afford it surely we can. We could have if we hadn’t spent money on backs we didn’t really need. We are a shambles and everyone on here has pointed where we are lacking quality out why can’t the board. 
I’m going to Bordeaux but will enjoy the wine and little else unless things change drastically. 

-------------

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 7:55am

one of the biggest issues is a lack of investment in key areas like 2nd row.
I agree 

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 8:00am
People should not be surprised.Three disastrous seasons of mismanagement have produced the current squad.In that time international players have been over-indulged,favouritism has been rife,and sponsors or board members have had far too much influence over selection.The current squad is as much the product of the internal politics of the organisation as it is of any rugby wisdom.Peel and his colleagues have a mountain to climb,and nobody should doubt the size of the task.

Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 8:01am

Not sure what you mean by serious underlying issues, but tackling* serious underlying issues sounds like a job that's bigger than any head coach.

*Apologies for using the word tackle this morning - very insensitive of me.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 8:04am

LOL

LOL
Stand by the comments if we want to be challenging then we should be beating second teams. We have bought backs to the point that we now are overstocked with wings and centres. Did we really need to get Scott and Conbeer back when the most obvious weakness are in the second and back row yet we bring in Price and an Osprey 5 th choice albeit for a month loan.
See Glasgow are looking at SA second row from Sale they can afford it surely we can. We could have if we hadn’t spent money on backs we didn’t really need. We are a shambles and everyone on here has pointed where we are lacking quality out why can’t the board. 
I’m going to Bordeaux but will enjoy the wine and little else unless things change drastically. 

against leicester in the friendly we showed clear signs of "the scarlet way" of rugby with people offering themselves off both shoulders of the scrum half,yesterday time and again we saw kal pick the ball up go a few yards go to ground then someone else went a yard the ball would come back and we would kick it away or get penalised or turned over,which way are we trying to play?we are rubbish on the floor so why not try to play to our strengths which should be our backline,any team in the league would bite your hand off for our starting and finishing front rows and the board should have replaced jake as soon as they knew he was leaving, it's all well and good saying there's nobody out there that's because they've been bought up by boards with more foresight than ours.

Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 8:08am

LOL

LOL

The mistake you have made on your working assumption, and you weren’t alone,was that this was a Munster 2nd team.

Regardless of that, losing at home and shipping 40 points to anyone is woeful.

Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 8:12am
It felt like we went back to last season yesterday, time & time again we would have a runner with no support, so no one to clear out. I don't know an exact figure for sure but the amount of times we got turned over or pinged for holding on must have been fairly high. Though that may be due to us not having an effective second row, ala Jake, to come in & wipe out the would be jackler from the opposition. 

As someone else mentioned, we are crying out for a jackler at the breakdown & we offer very little threat of this. 

Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 8:17am

LOL

LOL

The mistake you have made on your working assumption, and you weren’t alone,was that this was a Munster 2nd team.

In fairness to Why Wil it was a 2nd team. Look at the backs - 15. Haley, 14, Earls 13. Farrell 12. De Allende 11. Zebo 10. Carbury 9. Murray. That would be the recognised starting line up. Also missing Scannell, Kilcoyne, Beirne, O'Mahoney & Coombes from the pack so it is not wrong to describe it as a 2nd team. That the team selected followed their gameplan & gleefully accepted our weak defence around the fringes & out wide is to their credit and that of the coaches.

I do agree that some of that Munster team will be giving their more recognised squad colleagues serious pressure in the coming months. 

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 8:47am

What timescale we looking at that’s acceptable?

Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 8:59am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

What timescale we looking at that’s acceptable?
17-15 pm saturday LOL

Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 9:28am
We have got a short turnaround this week. I hope they have a big defensive session tomorrow when they train.

Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 11:08am

LOL

LOL

In fairness to Why Wil it was a 2nd team. Look at the backs - 15. Haley, 14, Earls 13. Farrell 12. De Allende 11. Zebo 10. Carbury 9. Murray. That would be the recognised starting line up. Also missing Scannell, Kilcoyne, Beirne, O'Mahoney & Coombes from the pack so it is not wrong to describe it as a 2nd team. That the team selected followed their gameplan & gleefully accepted our weak defence around the fringes & out wide is to their credit and that of the coaches.

I do agree that some of that Munster team will be giving their more recognised squad colleagues serious pressure in the coming months. 

Different point entirely though. We could say we were missing Sanjay, Halfpenny, Patchell, Macleod and Lousi using that narrative.
Also of the list of Munster players above only 2 were involved last week.

The issue that I'm failing to highlight is that becuase Munster changed 11 of the 23 from last week, the assumption was that it was a weaker outfit. I'm not sure that's right really.

This week they brought in to the starting 15 Chris Cloete, last season's Pro 14 top turnover winner at 7, Matt Gallagher, who had a good career with Saracens before being signed up by Munster, Dan Goggin who's been an ever present in the 23 for the last few seasons, as has Neil Cronin at SH ( just back after an ACL). They basically switched the starting from row to the bench from last week and vice versa.

In no way does this justify the defeat and our performance however.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net