Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46496
Printed Date: 26 October 2021 at 4:34am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Team for Leinster
Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Subject: Team for Leinster
Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 10:14am
I make a few assumptions as to fitness with Josh & Louisi possibly back & Scott probably out.

15. Johnny 14. Rogers 13. Tyler 12. Johnny Williams 11. Conbeer 10. Costelow 9. Cawdor
1. Rob 2. Marc Jones 3. Samson 4. Louisi 5. Morgan Jones 6. Aaron 7. Josh 8. Sione

16. Daf Hughes 17. Wyn 18. WGJ 19. Jac Price/Tom Price 20. Blade 21. Blacker 22. AOB 23. Ioan. 

I have absolutely no expectation of any positive result but if the likes of Steff, Ken, Elias & Foxy keep getting selected when they have played so badly then players in the wider squad will be left to question what they have to do to get an opportunity. 

Replies:
Posted By: thommo
Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 10:25am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I make a few assumptions as to fitness with Josh & Louisi possibly back & Scott probably out.

15. Johnny 14. Rogers 13. Tyler 12. Johnny Williams 11. Conbeer 10. Costelow 9. Cawdor
1. Rob 2. Marc Jones 3. Samson 4. Louisi 5. Morgan Jones 6. Aaron 7. Josh 8. Sione

16. Daf Hughes 17. Wyn 18. WGJ 19. Jac Price/Tom Price 20. Blade 21. Blacker 22. AOB 23. Ioan. 

I have absolutely no expectation of any positive result but if the likes of Steff, Ken, Elias & Foxy keep getting selected when they have played so badly then players in the wider squad will be left to question what they have to do to get an opportunity. 

Imo this is a good selection. A few of our senior players e.g foxy and steff were way off the pace of the game. They would be exposed against Leinster. Totally agree on Tyler and Conbeer.

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 10:31am
Not seen much of Daf Hughes but his throwing in was terrible when he was given a shout last season.Marc Jones doesn't offer much and is a journeyman,frankly.Get Davies back from Newport-at least he can throw in.

Posted By: scarletsrules
Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 11:24am

Im not denying that alot of players were out of form yesterday but Steff and Foxy have played decent so far this season, one bad game when everyone had a poor game not just those 3 players doesnt really justify the drop, Steffs defensive weaknesses and weakness under the high ball however may be targetted if he was to play so possibly a bench appearance for him and a start for Conbeer may be justified. Id like to se Foxy and Johnny in the centre though and Marc Jones is an able replacement so if he was to start that wouldnt be an awful thing but that was Kens first game of the season yesterday, they are off to Wales after Saturday and they need to be involved with us

Posted By: Dai Guevara
Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 12:04pm

I think we've got to stick with Ken. He's a true professional and will be deeply hurt by his and the Scarlets performance on Sunday. I'm not so sure about Tyler as his defence during the Sale debacle was pretty poor. Is Baldwin fit to play at outside centre? Other than that I can't fault your selection.

Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

I think we've got to stick with Ken. He's a true professional and will be deeply hurt by his and the Scarlets performance on Sunday. I'm not so sure about Tyler as his defence during the Sale debacle was pretty poor. Is Baldwin fit to play at outside centre? Other than that I can't fault your selection.

Ken would have been deeply hurt quite a few times in recent years,wouldn't he?

Posted By: ChrisX
Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 12:23pm
15. Johnny Mac 14. Rogers 13. Baldwin 12. Johnny Williams 11. Conbeer 10. Costelow 9. Blacker
1. Rob 2. Booth 3. Samson 4. Louisi 5. Jac Price 6. Aaron 7. Lezzana 8. Sione

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 12:34pm
I'd find room for Steff Hughes and make him captain.

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 1:13pm
How is Scott?

Posted By: Scarlet O'Hara
Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

How is Scott?
He seems to have had so many cuts around his eyes in particular he's probably lost count. Hope it's not too bad.

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 1:42pm
He’s fine. Few stitches and a shiner.

Couldn’t come back on as his eye had swollen over. Not overly happy about that.

100 up as fare as stitches in his head goes…half man half scar tissue

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 2:07pm
Tempted to give the same team a shot at redemption. If they don’t deliver the selection axe will have to fall

Posted By: gnasher1975
Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 2:17pm
We keep banging on about foxy not being in the refs ear all the time, have a listen to Sam Warburton views on it. Also when was the last time a ref overturned a decision because someone asked them to. 

Even yesterday after the try, the only reason the knock on was looked at was because the TMO took it upon himself to look at it. The ref only asked was it a try.

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 2:21pm
I'd try and get yesterday's Munster team on permit for one match !

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by gnasher1975 gnasher1975 wrote:

We keep banging on about foxy not being in the refs ear all the time, have a listen to Sam Warburton views on it. Also when was the last time a ref overturned a decision because someone asked them to. 

Even yesterday after the try, the only reason the knock on was looked at was because the TMO took it upon himself to look at it. The ref only asked was it a try.
Agree but broader game issues  that make the referee think eg like “can you please look sir at  Munster seemingly being offside during blitzing us “ is appropriate  as the Munster team were frequently on or over the edge and especially as it was causing us so much problem. 

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 5:38pm
Foxy will continue to get picked based on reputation when there are players who deserve to be there ahead of him. 

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Foxy will continue to get picked based on reputation when there are players who deserve to be there ahead of him. 
Clap

Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 7:03pm

If Scott can see normally through both eyes he is available, as would be any player in the same circumstance.

Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 7:04pm

Who would you suggest is more deserving?

Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Picking on form Tyler went well against the Tigers. Foxy has lost his pace, which is understandable considering his age and injuries. Baldwin imo is a 13.

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 8:39pm
15 jonny mac
14 rogers
13 baldwin
12 jonny w
11 conbeer
10 costellow
9 hardy
1 wyn
2 undecided
3 wgj
4 lousi if fit otherwise j price
5 jones
6 lezana if fit otherwise blade
7 josh if fit otherwise s evans
8 sioni if fit othetwise who knows

16 ken/the youngster in u20s
17 rob
18 samson
19 t price
20 shingler
21 cawdor
22 dan
23 tyler

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 9:22pm

Steff or Baldwin. 

Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 10:47pm
I think that we also need to accept that Munster outcoached our coaches as well and their game plan worked perhaps aided by some tolerant refereeing about Munsters blitz defence being offside at times and seemingly not complained about by Jon Davies 🤔

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 11 October 2021 at 11:17pm
We missed 21 tackles including at least 2 for direct tries, and got turned over on the deck what 6 times?

Yes their blitz was offside on occasion but we got almost everything wrong. Passive defence at times, poor kicks, wild passes. It was a horror show.

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 7:48am

Curently Wil I would pick Scott at 13 if he was fit & OK. I would also have him as captain. 

Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Ken would have been deeply hurt quite a few times in recent years,wouldn't he?

It appears a taboo subject on here but Ken has been living off his reputation for a while. He was terrible on Sunday and was nowhere to be seen during that calamity against Sale when leadership went AWOL. I repeat it should not be Dwayne's job to get players ready for the Welsh camp. His sole task should be to prepare the Scarlets team. Play badly - lose the shirt - it really is that simple. 

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 8:23am
That is ridiculous Ken has always given his all for the Scarlets and the poor games he has had for us you could count on one hand.Are you really questioning his commitment to the club sad if so.  

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 8:36am
I really believe that a lot of people on here are suffering fom a variant of Santa syndrome.There is no Father Christmas!!Players Get Old!

Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

That is ridiculous Ken has always given his all for the Scarlets and the poor games he has had for us you could count on one hand.Are you really questioning his commitment to the club sad if so.  

As I said a taboo subject. I could give you around a dozen games in the past few seasons where our on field leadership, when under pressure, failed abysmally. I would never question Ken's love for or indeed commitment to the Scarlets but the evidence of performance is staring us all in the eyes. Scott Quinnell & Benny are huge past servants of the club but they are probably not worthy of the shirt at the moment. 

There are far too many high profile players in our squad who fail to turn up with the necessary mind set to justify their excellent salaries. 

Posted By: dr_martinov
Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 9:00am

As I said a taboo subject. I could give you around a dozen games in the past few seasons where our on field leadership, when under pressure, failed abysmally. I would never question Ken's love for or indeed commitment to the Scarlets but the evidence of performance is staring us all in the eyes. Scott Quinnell & Benny are huge past servants of the club but they are probably not worthy of the shirt at the moment. 

There are far too many high profile players in our squad who fail to turn up with the necessary mind set to justify their excellent salaries. 

I don't really know if our internationals have a different mindset for Scarlets or Wales games but Wales are a better team than the Scarlets, play in bigger games and there is more competition to start (let's face it). The quality of opposition is much higher though. I hope the central contracting hasn't impacted week to week club commitment in favour of the "main employer". Playing for Wales should be the aim for all welsh players in my view and we should be selecting the ones playing the best for their clubs.

Compared to Wales, we almost never have superiority at the breakdown and I think us wanting a "beast of a second row" has been a conversation since I joined this forum in 2005. Hard for players to look as good in such a situation but it shouldn't be taboo to say certain players are underperforming for us, even if they are legends etc. The lack of competition means that they can retain their places so will have to play through their loss of form but without that forward platform it's very challenging. Our current back five is one of the weakest for some time and that's not lack of effort from them, just a poor fit of players. All those errors and missed tackles are different and that must be concentration, preparation or coaching. This is a long term problem, it's not just rust at the start of the season.

Posted By: scarletsbeno1
Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 9:04am
Sooner Lezana is ready the better, need a presence at 7 we havent had that for a while. Hopefully Josh is working his way back to fitness too.

Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 9:05am

Not seen much of Daf Hughes but his throwing in was terrible when he was given a shout last season.Marc Jones doesn't offer much and is a journeyman,frankly.Get Davies back from Newport-at least he can throw in.

Well Dic we need a reaction and quickly. How many more times do we keep picking guys who have been way off the pace. Daf may well have been poor last season but coaches are employed to improve players. Who is to say that he will be poor now? Ryan has had his chance at the moment time to give someone else an opportunity. I share your thoughts by the way on Taylor Davies - he looks like a decent footballer to me. 

Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 9:50am

That is even more ridiculous he has given his all and to suggest he coasts just to pick up his wages is a disgrace and something you would not suggest to him in person I wager. He is a world class hooker who has given a huge amount to the club and even if he doesn’t have a great game he will be trying his hardest. 
I bet you can’t give me a dozen games when he hasn’t been busting a gut for the cause. 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 9:55am
The bigger issue at hooker is Elias. Unfortunately for us his lineout throws are at best erratic.  No confidence with our lineout. Admittedly this is our weakest pool of second rows I can recall for many a year. However last season when we had Jake and Tex the lineout was a farce.

Posted By: scarletsrules
Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 10:04am
Yes we were poor but its one poor performance so far this season, cut the team some slack, over the last week alot of people were saying how happy they were to see scott and foxy back in the centre together and they wouldnt change that combination, everyone was full of praise not so long ago , our main worry should be our inability to win our lineouts, if we can win clean lineout ball that will fix some of the problems , tackling will need to improve and the coaching staff and team will know this, Sunday was one of those games that everything that could go wrong for us did, we had what we deserved out of the game but lets get behind the boys, in typical scarlet fashion we will beat leinster this weekend

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 10:38am
Ken is a phenomenal player no doubt and no question he gives his all but that doesn’t make him impervious to form (or criticism). He’s not the most accurate at the lineout. Questions do need to be asked, if you can do it for Wales why can’t or aren’t we doing it for the Scarlets. We get embarrassed at home, the criticism is fair. I do wonder what changes will be made this weekend. 

Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 11:57am

I really believe that a lot of people on here are suffering fom a variant of Santa syndrome.There is no Father Christmas!!Players Get Old!

Exactly. Players like Foxy and Ken aren’t any less committed. When you have a 30+ year old player up against an up and coming youngster. It doesn’t matter how many internationals they’ve played there comes a time when there’s only one winner. If they all kept their form no matter their age Phil Bennett would still be playing. 

Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 12:32pm

That is even more ridiculous he has given his all and to suggest he coasts just to pick up his wages is a disgrace and something you would not suggest to him in person I wager. He is a world class hooker who has given a huge amount to the club and even if he doesn’t have a great game he will be trying his hardest. 
I bet you can’t give me a dozen games when he hasn’t been busting a gut for the cause. 

Anything I say on this forum I am more than happy to repeat to anyone's face. I try to keep my comments measured and accurate. There can only be two possible explanations for the performance of some senior Internationals last Sunday - 1 - they were giving their all but they have deteriorated so much that they are no longer worthy of the shirt - 2 - they were not giving their all, could not get up for an important fixture & therefore underestimated the opposition & took a massive beating. Frankly either way they do not deserve to keep their starting positions. 

If you believe that with Tex & Jake in that team on Sunday the outcome would have been different then I am afraid you are wrong. 

Posted By: hartson11
Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 12:45pm
I certainly would not question any professional’s attitude.

I also recognise that Foxy is arguably Wales’ greatest 13 (John Dawes may argue), and Ken is a Lion.

However, age catches up with everyone who’s not named Cristiano Ronaldo and I think there is a serious question to be asked that based on form, whether they do currently fit into the starting XV.

This isn’t one or two bad games from Foxy, he’s not been the same since he got injured against Fiji in 2019, and it’s indisputable in my own personal opinion that Ken has performed better for Wales than he has for Scarlets in recent years.

In no way am I saying we should cast these legends aside, but I think we’ve reached the point that there’s a legitimate argument to be had that others should be given an extended run, for the sake of now and the future.

I’d also like to see Tom Rogers at 15 on the weekend. Was great against Edinburgh there last season.

Posted By: salmidach
Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 1:16pm

I'm questioning the commitment of a number of players to the shirt after that poo show on Sunday. They'd rather play for Wales than the Scarlets.

-------------
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett

Posted By: PE SA
Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 2:59pm

Anything I say on this forum I am more than happy to repeat to anyone's face. I try to keep my comments measured and accurate. There can only be two possible explanations for the performance of some senior Internationals last Sunday - 1 - they were giving their all but they have deteriorated so much that they are no longer worthy of the shirt - 2 - they were not giving their all, could not get up for an important fixture & therefore underestimated the opposition & took a massive beating. Frankly either way they do not deserve to keep their starting positions. 

If you believe that with Tex & Jake in that team on Sunday the outcome would have been different then I am afraid you are wrong. 

Agree GPR.

Too many in that side v Munster were blown away by a side we should have beaten. They showed they wanted it more. Top level players were way off the pace.
In my team selection for the Leinster game, I stated at best that the returning lions be on the bench for them to work for the jersey. that was shot down by some. But fact is, that Munster game echoed the Sale match. 
Ken did not give a performance better than what Elias has produced in the opening matches in my opinion and Hardy was getting into a groove to make way for Cawdor. 2 players who have played very little rugby in recent months (especially Cawdor). Ken has never been the type of player who can just start a game after a long block out and just perform. Hes the type, like many, that needs a real run of games. I fear that will not be the case now as age is catching up as well as internationals are starting to loom. it looks like WRU are desperate to cling on to stalwarts and risk having a squad thats too old for the old world cup (same trap as Ireland in a World Cup) but thats a different topic.
There are zero excuses for that performance. No defending. The only shining light for me was Tom Rogers who tackled who he meant to tackle and tried his best in attack. 
It wasnt going well before Kalamafoni went off but we well and truly fell apart when he went off.

Macleod, Lousi and Lezana we desperately need back. Not that they would have made much of a difference but leadership on Munster was non existent. We showed no sign of breaking Munster up front. yet we went for the corner early in the half. failed with the try. we then got back down there again, and again, we opted for the corner...again we failed (this was happening in first half as well). 2 kickable penalties where if we went for them, we would have been just 10 points behind with little over 30mins to go. that was criminal. And then more chances came we failed but Munster just ran in the tries. it was awful.

I did like the brutally honest review from Peel post match - no gloss, no excuses, fronted up. and also Rob Evans.

For Leinster, we need to seriously up the levels of passion for the shirt as that on Sunday was embarrassing. It can not be defended.

Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by hartson11 hartson11 wrote:

I certainly would not question any professional’s attitude.

I also recognise that Foxy is arguably Wales’ greatest 13 (John Dawes may argue), and Ken is a Lion.

However, age catches up with everyone who’s not named Cristiano Ronaldo and I think there is a serious question to be asked that based on form, whether they do currently fit into the starting XV.

This isn’t one or two bad games from Foxy, he’s not been the same since he got injured against Fiji in 2019, and it’s indisputable in my own personal opinion that Ken has performed better for Wales than he has for Scarlets in recent years.

In no way am I saying we should cast these legends aside, but I think we’ve reached the point that there’s a legitimate argument to be had that others should be given an extended run, for the sake of now and the future.

I’d also like to see Tom Rogers at 15 on the weekend. Was great against Edinburgh there last season.

Very much agree re.Rogers at 15-excellent footballer who can get the counter going from deep and  would hit the line well too.Unfortunately I fear his opportunities there may be limited as the WRU gerontophile fund might keep the 2 Instagram boys in the frame for too long.

Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 6:35pm
Rogers maybr a bit weak defensively to play 15 at the moment especially away to leinster tbh

Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 6:40pm

I bet you can’t give me a dozen games when he hasn’t been busting a gut for the  cause. 
he has been part of a tean that has been hammered on several occasions in recent years. He certainly hasn’t been giving world class perfornances for the scarlets recently Gpr is entitled to  his views so i don’t know why your getting so upset by them, btw i don’t think it’s a lack of effort i just think his legs hAve started to go

Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

I bet you can’t give me a dozen games when he hasn’t been busting a gut for the  cause. 
he has been part of a tean that has been hammered on several occasions in recent years. He certainly hasn’t been giving world class perfornances for the scarlets recently Gpr is entitled to  his views so i don’t know why your getting so upset by them, btw i don’t think it’s a lack of effort i just think his legs hAve started to go
Yes he is entitled to his views but when he is casting doubt on one of the best servants the club has ever had and saying he is not trying I won’t accept that. 
Ken maybe getting in but was lions first choice a couple of months ago. 

-------------

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 8:13pm

Yes he is entitled to his views but when he is casting doubt on one of the best servants the club has ever had and saying he is not trying I won’t accept that. 
Irrelevant. What he does in a Scarlets shirt is all that should matter.

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 8:17pm

Plenty of life in Ken . As you said Lions choice a couple of months back not knackers yard. The whole team underperformed and the coaches were also outperformed by the Munster coaches. The CEO needs to keep a careful eye on things I feel to ensure that the players are 100% united  and are 100% united with the coaches. We can’t have a repeat of Sundays fiasco. 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Not irrelevant at all it was questioned whether he had the legs anymore for the Scarlets. If he good enough to play for Lions I assume he good enough for us.
To pick on Ken is a bit rich after all he has down for club.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 8:40pm
Maybe he can no longer play week in week out and is just peaking for the test games? When is the last time ken played well two games in a row for the scarlets? And i think he is top
Guy and been a legend for us

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 8:50pm

Mcnicholl, Rogers, Foxy, Johnny Williams, Conbeer, Sam, Cawdor, Wyn, Ken,WGJ, Ashley,Louisi, Shingler, Blade and Lezana 
   Scott,AOB, Blacker,Rob,Ryan, Samson, Jac Price and Shaun Evans 

Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Mcnicholl, Rogers, Foxy, Johnny Williams, Conbeer, Sam, Cawdor, Wyn, Ken,WGJ, Ashley,Louisi, Shingler, Blade and Lezana 
   Scott,AOB, Blacker,Rob,Ryan, Samson, Jac Price and Shaun Evans 
Morgan Jones instead of Ashley and Tyler instead of Foxy for me 

-------------

Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 9:17pm
    Watched game back earlier from behind the sofa . Ashley and a couple others from the starting pack impressed,as WGJ and Shaun Evans off bench . We were destroyed at the breakdown by Munster's fierce commitment,and there pack playing as a unit .
    With no quick ball ,it is hard to criticize the backs . Munster lived offside across the field,that went unpunished.
      The defence around the fringes, and the missed one to one tackles was shameful.
    Does anyone know who the video referee was? The blatant obstruction on Costelow for there final try ,he thought that was fine .Then the blatant bat down by the final defender, he said it was fine .Blain says that is a penalty,but failed to award a yellow card and a penalty try. Then we had the award of the Glasgow try that beat the Lions ,which was never grounded . The shocker of the Ospreys try ,when the ball was lost over the line..Parks officials in this League, nothing ever changes.

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 9:19pm

Not irrelevant at all it was questioned whether he had the legs anymore for the Scarlets. If he good enough to play for Lions I assume he good enough for us.

the trouble is that ken and the other lions hadn't played since august yet the paymasters want them fit for the annual autumn flogging with wales so dwayne is forced to select them,i agree ken and foxy have done loads for us but it was inconsistent performances like last sunday that cost the last coach his job not that i thought he was any good,and the fact that he was lions first choice a few months ago is why you don't expect the standard to drop with us.

Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 9:23pm
Some people need to get a grip.It's not blood ,it's tomato sauce.Peter Pan is just a story.Santa Claus is make believe.Stop crying,Bambi's not dead.Ken is getting old.Unfortunately it's not just Ken,there are others in the squad:too many.We need to recognise that and realise the difficulties facing the Coaches.Apart from that,there's the politics-the kind of politics that sees someone take sniping,sneaky shots at the coaches because their dear boys are,quite rightly,no longer flavour of the month.I wouldn't do Peel's job for the world-but he has my full support.Unlike other bluffers,Peel is part of the fabric of this club,as was his grandfather.I hope he continues to plough his own furrow,and takes this club to siverware.3 seasons,I reckon-and I don't live in Never Never Land.

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 12 October 2021 at 9:33pm

Watched game back earlier from behind the sofa . Ashley and a couple others from the starting pack impressed,as WGJ and Shaun Evans off bench . We were destroyed at the breakdown by Munster's fierce commitment,and there pack playing as a unit .
    With no quick ball ,it is hard to criticize the backs . Munster lived offside across the field,that went unpunished.
      The defence around the fringes, and the missed one to one tackles was shameful.
    Does anyone know who the video referee was? The blatant obstruction on Costelow for there final try ,he thought that was fine .Then the blatant bat down by the final defender, he said it was fine .Blain says that is a penalty,but failed to award a yellow card and a penalty try. Then we had the award of the Glasgow try that beat the Lions ,which was never grounded . The shocker of the Ospreys try ,when the ball was lost over the line..Parks officials in this League, nothing ever changes.
Patterson, the Irish dentist that has lived and practised in Scotland for many years.

When their sub scrum half came on, by the same name, the question came in to my mind as to whether it was his son, or other close family.

Ridiculous, I know, however that thought was promoted by the lack of objectiveness with his interventions.

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 7:28am

Listen to yourself Why " to pick on Ken.... after all he has done for the club". Sounds like a primary school playground. Firstly I am not " picking on Ken" I am commenting directly on his & many other players performances. 4 one on one tackles were missed and led to 4 tries - that is a fact. As for what he has done for the club - I would not be stupid enough to deny his wonderful service to the Scarlets but it isn't a one way street - the club have been good to him also. Squad planning is at the heart of our ongoing problems with some once wonderful players now not up to it & a real lack of power/carrying really limiting the coaches' options. 

However those are not the only problems and the other is more sinister. Many top players turned coaches have commented that defending is all about heart - the ability/drive to get off the floor after a hit and get back in line for the next and the next. There didn't seem to be much heart at PYS on Sunday except of course from the Munster 15. 

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 8:25am

Listen to yourself Why " to pick on Ken.... after all he has done for the club". Sounds like a primary school playground. Firstly I am not " picking on Ken" I am commenting directly on his & many other players performances. 4 one on one tackles were missed and led to 4 tries - that is a fact. As for what he has done for the club - I would not be stupid enough to deny his wonderful service to the Scarlets but it isn't a one way street - the club have been good to him also. Squad planning is at the heart of our ongoing problems with some once wonderful players now not up to it & a real lack of power/carrying really limiting the coaches' options. 

However those are not the only problems and the other is more sinister. Many top players turned coaches have commented that defending is all about heart - the ability/drive to get off the floor after a hit and get back in line for the next and the next. There didn't seem to be much heart at PYS on Sunday except of course from the Munster 15. 
Me like a primary school look at yourself selecting one player to lambast like a playground bully.
You have been saying how we were looking much better this season now we had Scott back but as soon as it goes wrong you select one player out of 23 and when challenged on that say it’s all wrong.
You have a problem with certain players last week it was Sanjay this week Ken who will it be next. 
It is not Ken’s fault he has to play for Wales and it is not the clubs fault that they have to select him because of Wales contracts. 
Welsh rugby is rotten to core and and that is the issue.
We have achieved Grand Slams and Triple crowns despite them not because of them.
I agree players should be ashamed of last Sunday’s performance they will know that better than anyone. Selecting one player out of 23 to say is rather pointless however and helps no one. 

-------------

Posted By: haydn_davies
Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 8:35am
I can’t believe the amount of stick Ken is getting. 

That was his first start of the season!!

On a different note however, we had 8 travelling reserves on Sunday at Y Parc who didn’t have any minute of rugby to show what they can do - why do we need so many? When was the last time some of these players played a competitive game of rugby to show the coaches what they’re capable of?
Llanelli RFC are crying out for some experience to help them out.

-------------
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Just for our SA friends - Weste is die beste!

Posted By: N14
Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 8:53am
You do have to wonder why these players were picked to start against Munster and not eased in from the bench first? It’s only natural that they would be rusty and Munster isn’t the game to be throwing players into if they’re not fully ready. Surely the WRU/Welsh management aren’t dictating our selections?

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 9:01am

Me like a primary school look at yourself selecting one player to lambast like a playground bully.
You have been saying how we were looking much better this season now we had Scott back but as soon as it goes wrong you select one player out of 23 and when challenged on that say it’s all wrong.
You have a problem with certain players last week it was Sanjay this week Ken who will it be next. 
It is not Ken’s fault he has to play for Wales and it is not the clubs fault that they have to select him because of Wales contracts. 
Welsh rugby is rotten to core and and that is the issue.
We have achieved Grand Slams and Triple crowns despite them not because of them.
I agree players should be ashamed of last Sunday’s performance they will know that better than anyone. Selecting one player out of 23 to say is rather pointless however and helps no one. 

I think you need to re-look at my suggested selection. I suggested replacing Foxy, Steff, Ken, Ryan, Ashleigh, Blade & Dan from our starting 15 so hardly picking on one person. As for my comments on Liam they were echoed my many as we have hardly seen him since his return.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the continuing conflict between the WRU and the regions and this will never be resolved, in my opinion, until we mirror what happens in England - players are employed by their clubs/regions & will be released to play for the national team for fair compensation.

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 9:27am
I really don't know what to think about selection but one thing is for sure if we play like we did against Munster when we take on Leinster we will do well to keep them below 70!! 

Posted By: Scrletsfan32x
Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 10:33am
I think over the next couple of seasons we need to gradually phase out the older and injury prone players in the squad. Foxy, Ken, Patchell, Cubby have been massive servants to the club but now is the time to start freshening the squad up a bit. Blues have signed Thomas Young this morning, I’d love us to sign Reffell. Him and Lezana will be with us for the next decade. I’ve never rated Dan Davies he’s stuck between a 6 and 7. Maybe it’s time to give Baldwin a chance at 13

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 10:40am
That's a hell of a signing for Cardiff.  How can they do it?  They have more quality back row players than the rest of the Welsh regions put together.
I expect the WRU will pick up most of the tab.  They will never be able to keep all those back row players happy with game time.

-------------
Keep the faith

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 10:50am
Remember when we used to have back row players the envy of the other regions. Now look at us but what do we do in the summer sign more backs that are a luxury unbelievable. 
I said ages ago we should be banging on the door of the WRU to get Reffell signed. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 10:59am
Yeah we’ve been in this situation before. We have some incredible young talent who we had seen glimpses of what they can do under Mooar. Time to trust in the likes of Conbeer, Baldwin, Morgan and Bleddyn. Test their mettle against Leinster. As for forwards we are thin on the ground. Would use the contingent likely to be away with Wales. Just to give those who aren’t a rest week.

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 11:15am
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

That's a hell of a signing for Cardiff.  How can they do it?  They have more quality back row players than the rest of the Welsh regions put together.
I expect the WRU will pick up most of the tab.  They will never be able to keep all those back row players happy with game time.

Hell of a signing with a very generous dash of nepotism

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 11:25am
Lets get Will Boyde back!

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 11:28am
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Good shout - forgot about Will. Always impressed by him when he played for us. 

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 11:28am
I'd rather us go all out & get Basham or Reffell really.

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 11:36am
We have Josh at 7 who is quality. Dan is a ok back up at 7. Don't know the situation with cubby. No 8 other than Kalamafoni and second row stocks are desperate, Louisi apart.
It says a lot when Ashley got selected over Morgan Jones. 
The squad needs a cull as already mentioned by the majority on here.

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 11:41am
Does anyone know what has happened to Rawlins. 

Posted By: dyniol53
Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 11:44am

Yeah but what % of a back row is injured at any given time. Probably 50%, maybe add a 5-10% more because they play on a plastic pitch.

-------------
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en

Posted By: scarletsbeno1
Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 11:54am
I make that Keridff having Navidi, Boyde, Robinson, Jenkins, Young, Botham and that young lad Bradley.
Crazy depth, get that they'll have Navidi, Jenkins and maybe Young away with Wales.

Hopefully the board and Dwayne have an eye on a 7, hopefully Reffell.
With the Sprays having Jac and Tips, we should be in and amongst it for him if he can be persuaded back. 

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Scrletsfan32x Scrletsfan32x wrote:

I think over the next couple of seasons we need to gradually phase out the older and injury prone players in the squad. Foxy, Ken, Patchell, Cubby have been massive servants to the club but now is the time to start freshening the squad up a bit. Blues have signed Thomas Young this morning, I’d love us to sign Reffell. Him and Lezana will be with us for the next decade. I’ve never rated Dan Davies he’s stuck between a 6 and 7. Maybe it’s time to give Baldwin a chance at 13
 lezana is 27 going on 28 i think a decade is being a bit hopefulSmile. Any of botham jenkins or even boyde and robinson be handy enough signings for us tbh

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by scarletsbeno1 scarletsbeno1 wrote:

I make that Keridff having Navidi, Boyde, Robinson, Jenkins, Young, Botham and that young lad Bradley.
Crazy depth, get that they'll have Navidi, Jenkins and maybe Young away with Wales.

Hopefully the board and Dwayne have an eye on a 7, hopefully Reffell.
With the Sprays having Jac and Tips, we should be in and amongst it for him if he can be persuaded back. 

How crazy is their depth in the front 5,though?Nothing shrewd about it.Typical Cardiff-that's why they won't win anything.Probably beat us again,though

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

We have Josh at 7 who is quality. Dan is a ok back up at 7. Don't know the situation with cubby. No 8 other than Kalamafoni and second row stocks are desperate, Louisi apart.

Sorry I really don't see Dan as an ok back up at 7, he offers very little over the ball.

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 12:27pm

We have to many players in the whole squad, who are injured almost permanently. The back row imparticular. Sad times an aging squad, and players who have not kicked on the seasons they have been hear. We have Kalamafoni as a lone carrier up front, need players to share the workload.

We need to go all out to overall the squad, Basham and Refell would be great. Two hard noser second rows also a priority. As far as dynamic carriers, hopefully Carwyn will kick on and Iestyn in back row. The guy who as been very impressive his Morgan Macrae a dynamic carrier. Not sure what's happened to Dom Booth? we need Lezana to  really step up!!! 

Posted By: haydn_davies
Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 12:29pm
Would like us to make a move for Basham TBH. Quality and hard as nails.

-------------
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Just for our SA friends - Weste is die beste!

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Sorry I really don't see Dan as an ok back up at 7, he offers very little over the ball.

I have been disappointed with Dan - I really thought he would kick on with a run of games. The best 3 7's over the ball I have seen this season are Morgan, Reffell & Basham. All three are excellent tacklers with great engines. Basham, in addition, can carry very hard considering his size. None of us know much about Tomas & whether he is that type of 7 so we are left with Josh & Cubby, both not available at the moment. 

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 12:31pm

Fundamentally, and most on here know it, this is what we’ve never replaced from the Beirne, Barclay, Cubby-era.

McLoed is good, Wyn Jones is good, Cubby hasn’t played for 2 years, Sanjay is quite good(!)

Jack Morgan was good (!!) 

But we’ll never have that breakdown threat of Beirne, Barclay, Cubby again unless we find a group of 3 or 4 players who will win 8 turnovers a game.

Failing that we need to find other parts of the game to dominate. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Fundamentally, and most on here know it, this is what we’ve never replaced from the Beirne, Barclay, Cubby-era.

McLoed is good, Wyn Jones is good, Cubby hasn’t played for 2 years, Sanjay is quite good(!)

Jack Morgan was good (!!) 

But we’ll never have that breakdown threat of Beirne, Barclay, Cubby again unless we find a group of 3 or 4 players who will win 8 turnovers a game.

Totally agree, the other aspect of that which allows you to not rely on a 7 who can jackle his life away is that we haven't replaced Jake Ball who was like a freight train when hitting & clearing a ruck out.

Edited to add, another player who was brilliant over the ball was Werner Kruger, managed to get low & stay strong when he had no right to.

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 12:43pm

Totally agree, the other aspect of that which allows you to not rely on a 7 who can jackle his life away is that we haven't replaced Jake Ball who was like a freight train when hitting & clearing a ruck out.

Edited to add, another player who was brilliant over the ball was Werner Kruger, managed to get low & stay strong when he had no right to.

Good point Werner.

I think that’s where we’re at, there’s not a single part of a game we dominate.

I think we have some classy backs and some forwards with decent handling. But you wouldn’t say we’re a team that can dominate any 1 particular part of the game.

Scrum - 7/10
Lineout - 4/10
Breakdown - 5/10
Carrying - 4/10
Defence - 3/10
Passing/Handling - 7/10
Kicking - 7/10

For me that’s where we are. We need to get 1 or two of those areas up to a 9/10 and we need to make sure nothing is below a 5/6. 

If we get those up we might be able to consider ourselves the best team in Wales and then we might be competing in the business end of the URC / Europe again. We’re a long way off atm but it can change with a couple of astute signings, returns from injury and younger players stepping up.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 12:48pm
I know we need players but who in their right minds would join us at the moment. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 2:36pm

I know we need players but who in their right minds would join us at the moment. 

You're being unbelievably dramatic LOL

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 2:42pm
Tomas Lezana is available for selection, though Dan Davies requires surgery on a pec issue.

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 3:09pm

Tomas Lezana is available for selection, though Dan Davies requires surgery on a pec issue.

Amazing.🙄 Can it get any worse?

-------------
Keep the faith

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 3:13pm

It's like a one out one in medical room!!

Posted By: hartson11
Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 3:18pm
Kalamafoni out of the Leinster trip too

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 3:20pm

You spoke too soon!!

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by hartson11 hartson11 wrote:

Kalamafoni out of the Leinster trip too

That’s a huge blow

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 3:43pm
Blade hasn't been included in Scotland's Autumn International squad.

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 3:47pm

I think he as quit International Rugby.?

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 3:48pm

Has he? I must have missed that.

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 3:51pm

Don’t think he has. There was talk from some on this forum that they thought he would/should retire from international rugby, but not aware it actually happened.

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 6:34pm
That’s the issue with this forum. Some players can do no wrong whatsoever with some people. 

Posted By: Tony Clifton
Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 11:01pm
Wish we could grab James Benjamin for a bit, rather than Dragons sending him to Cornwall to play hooker. Handy player.

Posted By: hoppy
Date Posted: 14 October 2021 at 12:28am
Any flankers from the feeder clubs we can use or second rows good enough 

Date Posted: 14 October 2021 at 12:38am

That’s the issue with this forum. Some players can do no wrong whatsoever with some people. 

I don’t see it like that tho. I just assume the players are trying their best and sometimes make mistakes, go missing or aren’t good enough.

There are a few players that play for us I just think aren’t good enough. They once might have been good enough, but aren’t anymore. Or I see them as 3rd choice injury cover.

But I don’t bother mentioning them by name because 
a.) the coaches can tell better than I can 
b.) their friends or family are actually quite likely reading this forum 
c.) I want this forum and this club to be an optimistic and enlightening place - which it largely is.

There are two contrasting games I think of as the best and worst of being a Scarlets supporter. Bath away in 2018 and Cardiff home in one of the Christmas derbies where PyS booed our team at the final whistle.

The best of the Scarlets was that Bath away trip, we played scintillating rugby but we also backed it up as fans - bath fans were saying how incredible we were singing for 60 mins straight. it makes being a Scarlets fan feel special, something different.

Booing our own players makes me feel like we’re fans of any other sports franchise - sat there expecting to be entertained.

When we criticise the players on here I always feel it’s like a background hum of those boos, and it does nothing for me.

When I see people commenting on specific things players do well and what the team needs to improve, I feel a little more like I can hear a quiet chorus of lawr ar lan y mor as we’re supporting the team and helping them get better.

Obviously it’s naive and these posts have no impact on results - but I think this place does have a role in shaping the atmosphere of our great fans - home and away.

-------------

Posted By: Superscarlet
Date Posted: 14 October 2021 at 12:40am

Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Good shout - forgot about Will. Always impressed by him when he played for us. 
Totally agree, he should never have been let go, same as some other players. I just am amazed at some of the decisions the board makes.  And on the subject of Brad giving youngsters a go in a previous quote; , he did but also didn't pick on form to the detriment of the game. There were players who didn't get a chance to feature even though the ones he picked had a number of poor performances on the trot. Then they were pushed aside like Will. I wasn't a fan and wasn't disappointed when he left. But, who'd be a coach eh, they can't please us all. I was a fan of Pivac, yes we didn't always play well but 2017 and mainly 2018 were great seasons.

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 14 October 2021 at 7:39am

I don’t see it like that tho. I just assume the players are trying their best and sometimes make mistakes, go missing or aren’t good enough.

There are a few players that play for us I just think aren’t good enough. They once might have been good enough, but aren’t anymore. Or I see them as 3rd choice injury cover.

But I don’t bother mentioning them by name because 
a.) the coaches can tell better than I can 
b.) their friends or family are actually quite likely reading this forum 
c.) I want this forum and this club to be an optimistic and enlightening place - which it largely is.

There are two contrasting games I think of as the best and worst of being a Scarlets supporter. Bath away in 2018 and Cardiff home in one of the Christmas derbies where PyS booed our team at the final whistle.

The best of the Scarlets was that Bath away trip, we played scintillating rugby but we also backed it up as fans - bath fans were saying how incredible we were singing for 60 mins straight. it makes being a Scarlets fan feel special, something different.

Booing our own players makes me feel like we’re fans of any other sports franchise - sat there expecting to be entertained.

When we criticise the players on here I always feel it’s like a background hum of those boos, and it does nothing for me.

When I see people commenting on specific things players do well and what the team needs to improve, I feel a little more like I can hear a quiet chorus of lawr ar lan y mor as we’re supporting the team and helping them get better.

Obviously it’s naive and these posts have no impact on results - but I think this place does have a role in shaping the atmosphere of our great fans - home and away.
Nicely put.

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net