Forum Description: Other rugby chat
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46498
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 5:19pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: no wales live games on bbc?
Posted By: roy munster
Subject: no wales live games on bbc?
Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 1:21pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58881613%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-58896717?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA

So what are we paying the bbc license fee for ? 24 hrs of strictly and repeats from the 1980s?

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Replies:
Posted By: joni_bach
Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 1:45pm
Pretty much expected this. Personally going to take out Amazon Prime for a month's trial, watch the games, get my Christmas shopping done, binge watch Clarkson's Farm and then cancel. Not good for the game in the long run though. 

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 1:58pm
no. i assume its free for prime viewers? But will soon be pay per view or increased monthly fees....millions fewer people will get to see wales games and the fan base will die
funny how the covid season has served the minority of billionaires and taken away from the masses and the rest of the business world........Almost as if someone saw it coming?

-------------

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 1:59pm
You link above isn't working Roy....

Posted By: salmidach
Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 2:02pm
BBC is a waste of money anyway. it needs to be changed to a subscribed channel. I can't remember the last time I used any of their tv or radio services.

-------------
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 6:31pm
£5.99 for a month of rugby and people pouting saying they’re watching it in the pub. Jeez. LOL

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

£5.99 for a month of rugby and people pouting saying they’re watching it in the pub. Jeez. LOL

it  aint that funny sa14

Its the thin end of the wedge, rugby fans need to pay sky sports, bt sports, premier sports, eurosports, bbc license fee and amazon prime to watch all pro rugby..its a huge outlay for most people..amazon prices too will soon rise for the big matches once they wrestle the monopoly too. The other downside is the audiences tuning in to watch welsh rugby will go from several millions down to thousands, all of which will have a detrimental effect on welsh rugby

-------------

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

it  aint that funny sa14

Its the thin end of the wedge, rugby fans need to pay sky, bt sports, premier bbc license fee and amazon prime to watch all pro rugby..its a huge outlay for most people..amazon prices too will soon rise for the big matches once they wrestle the monopoly too. The other downside is the audiences tuning in to watch welsh rugby will go from several millions down to thousands, all of which will have a detrimental effect on welsh rugby
I totally get your points and I agree with some of them but do you propose Welsh rugby fund itself? And why have Welsh people got a god given right to have free rugby on the box? 

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 13 October 2021 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

it  aint that funny sa14

Its the thin end of the wedge, rugby fans need to pay sky, bt sports, premier bbc license fee and amazon prime to watch all pro rugby..its a huge outlay for most people..amazon prices too will soon rise for the big matches once they wrestle the monopoly too. The other downside is the audiences tuning in to watch welsh rugby will go from several millions down to thousands, all of which will have a detrimental effect on welsh rugby
I totally get your points and I agree with some of them but do you propose Welsh rugby fund itself? And why have Welsh people got a god given right to have free rugby on the box? 

It aint free ,we're paying a compulsory fee for life £159 atm 
Its also the fact rugby is being carved up by 7 different channels , to squeeze as much cash as possible out of every genuine rugby fan , whilst the overall game will go down the pan as the viewing audiences dwindle from several million to thousands, long term this will make rugby all the poorer, this is short term cash....are there any regulations left?

-------------

Posted By: dyniol53
Date Posted: 14 October 2021 at 12:52am
Totally agree Roy.

It’s something rugby authorities need to think about strategically and from a long-term POV.

Wales is lucky to have S4C but the fragmented tv coverage is a nightmare for big fans, it’s confusing to lighter fans and it’s invisible to many potential fans.

I wont bore you but I’ve explained it it death on the Rugby selling out http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/rugby-selling-out_topic46166.html" rel="nofollow - thread .

-------------
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en

Posted By: KID A
Date Posted: 14 October 2021 at 12:08pm
Excellent news. Good coverage, a fresh commentary team, and hopefully it means more £ into Welsh rugby.

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 14 October 2021 at 12:22pm
Personally id rather the games be on terrestial tv. How do amazoncharge clubs and pubs to get it? Is it same as normal customer? Where is this extra money going? 

Date Posted: 14 October 2021 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Personally id rather the games be on terrestial tv. How do amazoncharge clubs and pubs to get it? Is it same as normal customer? Where is this extra money going? 

When Amazon showed 20 Premier League football matches last December it was based on the rateable value of the pub & was £320 for most.

Date Posted: 14 October 2021 at 6:59pm
TV + sport = money. 

Everywhere. 

Date Posted: 14 October 2021 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

When Amazon showed 20 Premier League football matches last December it was based on the rateable value of the pub & was £320 for most.

aye though the amazon and sky prices are charged against the fixed  rates on a pub and take no account of the reduced rates on pubs in deprived areas...so the pubs in deprived areas pay the same price as far wealthier pubs, thus far more for sky and amazon as a proportion of their income

-------------

Posted By: Kentexile
Date Posted: 14 October 2021 at 9:50pm
At one level I don’t mind paying . Living in England for a while then until we had sky challenge the status quo or S4C becoming available over satellite Welsh rugby coverage didn’t exist. My issue is with the fragmentation of coverage so you potentially need a sky, premier sport BT and Amazon subscription as well as paying the licence  fee to make sure you don’t miss any Wales or Scarlets games you can’ t get to in person 

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 14 October 2021 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Kentexile Kentexile wrote:

At one level I don’t mind paying . Living in England for a while then until we had sky challenge the status quo or S4C becoming available over satellite Welsh rugby coverage didn’t exist. My issue is with the fragmentation of coverage so you potentially need a sky, premier sport BT and Amazon subscription as well as paying the licence  fee to make sure you don’t miss any Wales or Scarlets games you can’ t get to in person 

Yes that’s my major frustration- having to subscribe to multiple providers knowing that you won’t watch most of the other stuff on these providers. It’s so inefficient and fragmented and has to be more expensive. Oh for one pay for provider that covers all Rugby ( and professionally not like the dross on Premier )

Date Posted: 14 October 2021 at 11:13pm
Any idea how much extra amazon are paying? Unless it’s a good sum imo it’s not worth losing the brand awareness that comes with games on terrestial tv. Out of sight out of mind is a real thing when it comess to sport on tv

Date Posted: 15 October 2021 at 12:22am

Any idea how much extra amazon are paying? Unless it’s a good sum imo it’s not worth losing the brand awareness that comes with games on terrestial tv. Out of sight out of mind is a real thing when it comess to sport on tv

You’re so right . But also the point about consolidating the rugby into one or two providers would be really helpful.

Genuinely if all pro-rugby except internationals were on Amazon it would be good because people would know where to find it (and 50-60% of the population already have Amazon Prime)

It’s that BBC, ITV, Sky, BT, Premier, S4C split that makes it really difficult to build a narrative around what’s actually going on. Different channels, different graphics, different presenters. All comes across half-arsed and disparate 

-------------

Date Posted: 15 October 2021 at 9:02pm
You don’t have to subscribe to every channel for all year. There’s plenty of day passes, month passes, discount subscriptions, free trials you can have. 

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 16 October 2021 at 9:49am
I note that our Nigel has got himself a nice little earner from Amazon for the Autumn Internationals contributing to their Welsh language coverage. 

Date Posted: 16 October 2021 at 8:49pm
Not quite on subject but  Premier and S4C now  geoblock and  have recently stopped allowing you to watch live sport through a vpn when abroad whilst Sky and the BBC are fine with it
So I could watch Estonia v Wales in the football earlier in the week  and the Dragons yesterday but nothing today . My view is if you pay for a Premier subscription with mobile it shouldn’t matter where you watch it and S4C should be encouraging Welsh speakers to watch anywhere
Will be out of the country for at least 1 Autumn international so will be interesting to see what Amazon do.

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 16 October 2021 at 9:43pm

Not quite on subject but  Premier and S4C now  geoblock and  have recently stopped allowing you to watch live sport through a vpn when abroad whilst Sky and the BBC are fine with it
The whole point of using a VPN abroad is to trick the sites/apps into thinking you're still in the UK though?

Date Posted: 17 October 2021 at 7:06am
True but it is still irritating that some broadcasters are fine with it and some not- and if you are paying for a service  as the internet is meant to be global it shouldn’t matter where you are watching - the BBC seems pretty relaxed with the payoff being adverts if you watch abroad and why should a company be able to charge you separately  for each country you happen to want to watch the Scarlets in.
Having said that yesterdays game seems to  have been a good one to miss.

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 17 October 2021 at 9:07am

True but it is still irritating that some broadcasters are fine with it and some not- and if you are paying for a service  as the internet is meant to be global it shouldn’t matter where you are watching - the BBC seems pretty relaxed with the payoff being adverts if you watch abroad and why should a company be able to charge you separately  for each country you happen to want to watch the Scarlets in.
Having said that yesterdays game seems to  have been a good one to miss.
I would think it's likely to do with this URC.tv service that the league are offering outside the UK, league probably forcing Premier and S4C to Geoblock so people outside the UK don't try and access the games for free.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2022

Posted By: bills burr
Date Posted: 17 October 2021 at 6:08pm

You don’t have to subscribe to every channel for all year. There’s plenty of day passes, month passes, discount subscriptions, free trials you can have. 
I bet its nowhere near as simple as that

-------------
B BURR

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 17 October 2021 at 6:51pm
Apparently WRU making 4 million for all blacks game. Bet none of that goes to the regions 

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Date Posted: 17 October 2021 at 8:37pm
Im sure they do it’s part of the agreement

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 17 October 2021 at 9:20pm
Given the circumstances around the recent loan and its repayment terms,I doubt whether any agreement with the WRU is worth much more than the paper it's written on.

Date Posted: 18 October 2021 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by bills burr bills burr wrote:

I bet its nowhere near as simple as that

Amazon - £5.99 or BT sport get a month pass. You can always share a subscription too. 

Date Posted: 18 October 2021 at 2:46pm

Name all the deals 

-------------

Posted By: Owen111
Date Posted: 18 October 2021 at 3:24pm
Good quality coverage 

Easily accessible from multiple devices

More or less instant re viewing if you missed the game 

10000s of hours of other quality programming 

Cant see what's not to like apart from wanting to pay a tenner for a boat load of content. 

Posted By: bills burr
Date Posted: 18 October 2021 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Owen111 Owen111 wrote:

Good quality coverage 

Easily accessible from multiple devices

More or less instant re viewing if you missed the game 

10000s of hours of other quality programming 

Cant see what's not to like apart from wanting to pay a tenner for a boat load of content. 

instead of millions watching wales itll become thousands, this will impact other sources of income, sponsorship deals, ticket sales, kids playing and following the sport etc and amazon will like sky crank up their prices once they have the monopoly 

-------------
B BURR

Date Posted: 18 October 2021 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Name all the deals 

Premier sports haggle for a low price or if you just wanna see scarlets games see which months you can cancel. HC just get bt sports monthly pass. Amazon get a month trial. 

This year I won’t get premier sports this side of Xmas as all games are televised for the scarlets.

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 19 October 2021 at 6:55am

Name all the deals 

Premier sports haggle for a low price or if you just wanna see scarlets games see which months you can cancel. HC just get bt sports monthly pass. Amazon get a month trial. 

This year I won’t get premier sports this side of Xmas as all games are televised for the scarlets.

the point people are making is that even though you can get deals you still have to pay,bbc,sky.premier,bt and now amazon.

Date Posted: 19 October 2021 at 7:08am
You can share a bit sport month pass with someone else which makes it £12.50 each per month. 

Same on Amazon prime, two people can watch at the same time & as it’s £7.99 a month that means split it’ll be £4 a month. 

Date Posted: 19 October 2021 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Name all the deals 

the point people are making is that even though you can get deals you still have to pay,bbc,sky.premier,bt and now amazon.

Yeh I totally get that but it’s the world we live in now. Everything is
Subscription. 

Posted By: KID A
Date Posted: 19 October 2021 at 6:37pm
Apparently, in the WRU AGM, one old codger got up and had a moan that the November Internationals are on Amazon. He said that "watching Wales play rugby on free to air television is every Welsh person's birthright."

A comment that sums up the sheer arrogance and entitlement of some people in the Welsh rugby world.

Date Posted: 19 October 2021 at 7:20pm
Do other nations have their games free to air ? have  The wru come out and explained how much extra funding they are getting from amazon? Loads of clubs are off loading tickets for the nz game at cut prices

Date Posted: 19 October 2021 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Apparently, in the WRU AGM, one old codger got up and had a moan that the November Internationals are on Amazon. He said that "watching Wales play rugby on free to air television is every Welsh person's birthright."

A comment that sums up the sheer arrogance and entitlement of some people in the Welsh rugby world.

Depends what language he asked the question in doesn’t it 

-------------

Date Posted: 19 October 2021 at 11:40pm
“would think it's likely to do with this URC.tv service”
Think that is right although a code for subscribers to use would stop abuse and whilst S4C should be looking to globalise as far as it can if geoblocking is the price for free rugby content for uk viewers then fine - first world problems.
Sorry for having taken up your time 

Date Posted: 20 October 2021 at 11:26am
I think companies know full well the public on the whole will pay for subscription services. Nearly everything we watch these days we pay for, why would they think people wouldn’t pay again? I’m not saying it’s ideal but it’s a bit naive for people to think that it doesn’t produce lots of money for teams. Asking the question how much is side stepping things. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net