Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46514
Printed Date: 23 January 2022 at 8:59pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Scotty
Posted By: SA14
Subject: Scotty
Date Posted: 22 October 2021 at 9:34pm
Not beam me up but what a revelation he’s been. He’s playing as if he’s never been away. Noticed in an article that he’s been forefront in being vocal to get confidence back into the squad. 

Replies:
Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 22 October 2021 at 9:55pm
Scotty has been what’s missing from our performances in the past 3 seasons.  He’s very vocal, he demands the respect of the players and is Mr consistent when it comes to performances.
Unfortunately for us, but not for himself, he’ll probably be back in the welsh squad by the end of the autumn internationals.

Posted By: ChrisX
Date Posted: 23 October 2021 at 12:21pm
Brilliant from Scott last night, a great game, a great leader, right now a better choice of captain and in better form than Foxy. Same can be said for a few other players, Blacker had a fine game and should feature more even when Davies and Hardy return. Much needed win, well done boys! 

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 23 October 2021 at 12:41pm
[QUOTE=ChrisX]Brilliant from Scott last night, a great game, a great leader, right now a better choice of captain and in better form than Foxy. Same can be said for a few other players, Blacker had a fine game and should feature more even when Davies and Hardy return. Much needed win, well done boys! [

/QUOTE] I thought that he and Steff Hughes were excellent playing together as well 

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Posted By: Seagultaf
Date Posted: 23 October 2021 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

[QUOTE=ChrisX]Brilliant from Scott last night, a great game, a great leader, right now a better choice of captain and in better form than Foxy. Same can be said for a few other players, Blacker had a fine game and should feature more even when Davies and Hardy return. Much needed win, well done boys! [

/QUOTE] I thought that he and Steff Hughes were excellent playing together as well 

I thought Scott was very good but not impressed with Steff Hughes.

Posted By: swissscarlets
Date Posted: 23 October 2021 at 2:04pm
Scott is outstanding and a born leader 

-------------
west is best.

Posted By: scarletsbeno1
Date Posted: 23 October 2021 at 2:42pm
Bit Harsh on Steff Hughes he was solid and has barely played 

Date Posted: 23 October 2021 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by scarletsbeno1 scarletsbeno1 wrote:

Bit Harsh on Steff Hughes he was solid and has barely played 

I agree, he was solid, defensively sound and didn't make many errors, but I just don't see him as a 13 at this level, as he adds nothing in attack.
I guess his problem this season will be that Scott, Jon Davies and Johnny Williams are all ahead of him in his best position at 12.

Posted By: Rob o'r Bont
Date Posted: 23 October 2021 at 2:56pm
Scott seems to make the team tick.  Good as some of the other performances were last night, I don't think we would have beaten Benetton without him.  Great to see him back and as good as ever. Pivac must be keeping a close eye on him. 

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: PritchyTheScarlet
Date Posted: 23 October 2021 at 6:10pm
Scott starts in Dublin on February 5. Without a doubt.

-------------
🇹🇷    

Posted By: scarletpimp
Date Posted: 24 October 2021 at 10:27pm
Class performance from Scott, and it's correct to say that without him, we wouldn't have won this particular game.
I don't know what happened with regard to the negotiations that led him to leave for Ospreys, but I do know I was filled with sadness. 
To many people posting on this forum, werej not willing to give him a chance when he returned, well let's these same people are EATING THEIR WORDS NOW .
Yes it was a calculated risk, with someone who has experienced injuries in the last 3 seasons.
Scott however is not just a great player, he is a LEADER and a scarlet through and through. 
He will be the next capt of the scarlets

-------------
I stood yer on tanner bank

Posted By: Jones2004
Date Posted: 24 October 2021 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

Class performance from Scott, and it's correct to say that without him, we wouldn't have won this particular game.
I don't know what happened with regard to the negotiations that led him to leave for Ospreys, but I do know I was filled with sadness. 
To many people posting on this forum, werej not willing to give him a chance when he returned, well let's these same people are EATING THEIR WORDS NOW .
Yes it was a calculated risk, with someone who has experienced injuries in the last 3 seasons.
Scott however is not just a great player, he is a LEADER and a scarlet through and through. 
As one of those who had doubts when we resigned him it was never a case of not giving him a chance, just naturally worrying as he was an older player who had suffered from injury and subsequent lack of form over the last few years. However he’s been terrific since coming back and I’m willing to put my hands up and admit I was wrong to doubt his signing. Not every criticism / question of the club / players’ action is automatically people being unwilling to give players a chance you know. After all what type of forum would this be without any criticism?

Posted By: scarletpimp
Date Posted: 25 October 2021 at 1:56am
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

As one of those who had doubts when we resigned him it was never a case of not giving him a chance, just naturally worrying as he was an older player who had suffered from injury and subsequent lack of form over the last few years. However he’s been terrific since coming back and I’m willing to put my hands up and admit I was wrong to doubt his signing. Not every criticism / question of the club / players’ action is automatically people being unwilling to give players a chance you know. After all what type of forum would this be without any criticism?

Thanks Jones 2004 for your response to my post.vCan I also thank you for a being a gentleman.
I totally understand your concerns prior to Scott's arrival,particularly  as Scott's time with Ospreys had been littered  with bad luck on the injury front.

One of the issues I have with the forum however,(or some who post on it) is the total negativity  of their attitude. As you rightly point out, it wouldn't be a forum without criticism...and that's fine. I myself have expressed my displeasure, but have tried to make it as constructive as possible.
The way that Scott was written off by some,was simply unacceptable .Anyone who knows him, will testify the determination to get over these setbacks, which is part of his character
 We can clearly see the results.
Yes I do believe people deserve  "a chance ",and occasionally  we have to faith ,maybe follow our instinct not the science (even in professional sport)..LOL

-------------
I stood yer on tanner bank

Posted By: bills burr
Date Posted: 25 October 2021 at 2:23am
Always been a tremendous player Obviously loads of injuries but last night he looked like scott of old. Looks pretty silly him not being in the autumn squad now, could cost us dear

-------------
B BURR

Posted By: Sosban89
Date Posted: 25 October 2021 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by bills burr bills burr wrote:

Always been a tremendous player Obviously loads of injuries but last night he looked like scott of old. Looks pretty silly him not being in the autumn squad now, could cost us dear

At the end of the day, Wales are taking a beating either way. I'd rather Scott (selfishly), is fresh and hopefully he's back with Wales for the six nations for another rip on Courtney Lawes and a match winning try.

Posted By: dyniol53
Date Posted: 25 October 2021 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

At the end of the day, Wales are taking a beating either way. I'd rather Scott (selfishly), is fresh and hopefully he's back with Wales for the six nations for another rip on Courtney Lawes and a match winning try.

Lol, my thoughts exactly 

One step at a time for Scott at this point, a run of games without injury is going to do more for his confidence and love of the game than an intense Welsh training camp 

-------------
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 25 October 2021 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Lol, my thoughts exactly 

One step at a time for Scott at this point, a run of games without injury is going to do more for his confidence and love of the game than an intense Welsh training camp 

He's played 4/5 for us, and hopefully he will get a little break sometime over the AI's. Rather he recovers than get injured holding tackle bags in Cardiff !!!!

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 25 October 2021 at 7:12pm
Rumour has it, Scott was fit for the last 2 months of last season but the Ospreys chose not to play him, he’s played 4 from 5 in the league and played a part in the 2 pre season matches too.
Scott knows how to look after himself, I can see him playing more games than any other back this season, which is great, we need consistency of selection and Castelow needs someone to nurture and support him, Scott is that player.  
I’d make him captain all season, not just when Foxy is away with Wales.

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 25 October 2021 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Rumour has it, Scott was fit for the last 2 months of last season but the Ospreys chose not to play him, he’s played 4 from 5 in the league and played a part in the 2 pre season matches too.
Scott knows how to look after himself, I can see him playing more games than any other back this season, which is great, we need consistency of selection and Castelow needs someone to nurture and support him, Scott is that player.  
that's not rumour,wil posted that when it first broke that he may be coming back.totally agree about captaincy.

Date Posted: 25 October 2021 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

that's not rumour,wil posted that when it first broke that he may be coming back.totally agree about captaincy.
That’s right! I guess with Scott being absent via injuries the game plan had moved on so it was harder to fit him in ? But who cares now. 

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 7:57am

That’s right! I guess with Scott being absent via injuries the game plan had moved on so it was harder to fit him in ? But who cares now. 

Ladram is correct I do recall Wil saying that Scott was available for the final couple of months but was not being selected. He also philosophically accepted that as his contract was not being renewed it was probably a good call by Booth to give others the chance.

This statement was needed at the time as many on here were questioning " signing another injury prone player". My view then and remains now was that a fit Scott would be invaluable. I agree with others that he should captain the team whenever he plays. It is clear now that Scott was fit. Who knows whats round the corner but his form and that of Blacker have been the highlights for me so far this season. 

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 10:14am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Lol, my thoughts exactly 

He's played 4/5 for us, and hopefully he will get a little break sometime over the AI's. Rather he recovers than get injured holding tackle bags in Cardiff !!!!

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 10:39am
I did question the signing but admit he had been one of our best players in a very poor start to the season.
I still question the signing of a player with a recent history of injuries to the level he has had, based on the fact we signed Corey at the same time but neglected the one area where we needed to sign players in the back five of the scrum.
Was there a need to sign both when we have a good stable of centres. 
I also understand that Scott was a great player for us in the past and hopefully he can be again. 
As for being Captain why would you make somebody Captain who at the time was not sure if his place. On current form he would start in the first team but at the start of the season he had no form so how could you have made him Captain.
Are people really suggesting that we now take the Captaincy from Foxy who is on huge wages and give it to Scott. 
My Captain would have been Sione as somebody guaranteed a place in the team and someone who last season was ever present.

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

I did question the signing but admit he had been one of our best players in a very poor start to the season.
I still question the signing of a player with a recent history of injuries to the level he has had, based on the fact we signed Corey at the same time but neglected the one area where we needed to sign players in the back five of the scrum.
I also understand that Scott was a great player for us in the past and hopefully he can be again. 
As for being Captain why would you make somebody Captain who at the time was not sure if his place. On current form he would start in the first team but at the start of the season he had no form so how could you have made him Captain.
Are people really suggesting that we now take the Captaincy from Foxy who is on huge wages and give it to Scott. 
My Captain would have been Sione as somebody guaranteed a place in the team and someone who last season was ever present.

What form did Foxy have???? There is such a thing as a club captain & playing many games per season hasn't been a problem in recent seasons. Steff Hughes I would wager captained the team more than the captain named at the start of last season. As for Sione being captain I think there is a feeling that our captain should be local & Welsh. I have no particular axe to grind on this one & can see both sides of the debate. 

Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 12:22pm
Foxy played for Wales in six nations and the summer albeit not at his best but you advocate Scott and he hadn’t played for about 6 months. 
As I’ve said I don’t think either should be Captain why does the Captain have to be local and Welsh Easterby, Dave Hodges and Lyons to name a few have captained us with distinction. 

-------------

Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 12:34pm

Foxy played for Wales in six nations and the summer albeit not at his best but you advocate Scott and he hadn’t played for about 6 months. 
As I’ve said I don’t think either should be Captain why does the Captain have to be local and Welsh Easterby, Dave Hodges and Lyons to name a few have captained us with distinction. 

As I said above Why I have no argument about being Welsh or not. The coaches will have known what physical condition all players were in during pre-season. On the injury front anything can happen at any time. However if it is clear to me and many on this forum that Scott's character make him an ideal captain then it should have been clear to everyone. How many times has it been said in the past 3+ years that we have not had decent on field leadership since Scott & John Barclay. 

I have absolutely nothing against Foxy or the fact that he is captain but my one real concern is that he will get the selection nod because he is captain & not because of form. I sincerely hope that doesn't happen. 

Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 12:40pm

The last time foxy was made captain he signed for clermont 6 weeks later "a team that matched his ambitions" the majority of his wages are met by the wru,the fact that he is captain means there is less chance of him being dropped irrespective of form which has been absent for 18 months and as much as he has done for us i think that has been more than matched by us in making sure he is still able to prolong his wales career and with regards to sioni being captain i would suggest looking at the munster game where he was throwing haymakers willy nilly whilst we had a great chance of beating them.

Posted By: thommo
Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 12:44pm

The last time foxy was made captain he signed for clermont 6 weeks later "a team that matched his ambitions" the majority of his wages are met by the wru,the fact that he is captain means there is less chance of him being dropped irrespective of form which has been absent for 18 months and as much as he has done for us i think that has been more than matched by us in making sure he is still able to prolong his wales career and with regards to sioni being captain i would suggest looking at the munster game where he was throwing haymakers willy nilly whilst we had a great chance of beating them.
Wrong guy. You meant Louisi.

Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

Wrong guy. You meant Louisi.
Apologies to sioni,and the forum.

Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 1:19pm
I have stated quite clearly that no one should be picked on reputation which happens all to often in Welsh rugby not only with us. 
Form is far more important and that is what selection alone should be based on. 
As for the Captaincy Sione is a player that leads by example and as I said ever present. As a player who is always in the game it is remarkable that he rarely gets a yellow or red card. 
Anyway to go back to the topic yes it’s great to have Scott back and firing in a Scarlet shirt.

My main worry is that across the river the Ospreys appear to be building a very strong squad under what appears to be good leadership and we can’t afford to fall much further behind. 

-------------

Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 1:19pm
I understand the debate about Foxy as captain, especially given his form.

However I was one of those saying last April/May that he wasn’t done yet, and I still believe that, despite his performances in games this season.

To some extent Peel gave him the captaincy to try and motivate Foxy. He is a guy who has achieved pretty much everything in the game bar a World Cup final - giving him the responsibility of captaincy is another way of testing, challenging and improving him.

So far this season that hasnt looked like a great call (from me or Peel) but I think we’ll know more after the first two European games if it’s a good one or a bad one.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 1:25pm

I have stated quite clearly that no one should be picked on reputation which happens all to often in Welsh rugby not only with us. 
Form is far more important and that is what selection alone should be based on. 
As for the Captaincy Sione is a player that leads by example and as I said ever present. As a player who is always in the game it is remarkable that he rarely gets a yellow or red card. 
Anyway to go back to the topic yes it’s great to have Scott back and firing in a Scarlet shirt.

My main worry is that across the river the Ospreys appear to be building a very strong squad under what appears to be good leadership and we can’t afford to fall much further behind. 

Their pack, our backs - a match made in heaven. Evil Smile In all seriousness it has been coming. They are 12 months ahead of us if not more as they were making small steps of progress last season while we were floundering downwards. Dwayne has a big job on his hands & needs some inspired recruitment to help him. 

Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 1:45pm
And his team are not seriously experienced are they. He needs a wise old head by his side 

-------------

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Lol, my thoughts exactly 

Never understood emojis Wil. I hope what I said didn't cause any upset or offence.

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 6:04pm
Been called up to the Welsh squad. Well done. 

Posted By: N14
Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 6:14pm
Bad news for the Scarlets but excellent news for him. Congratulations Scott

Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

Could well be just a short term thing.

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 6:34pm
Well deserved. Lets be honest with that fixture list wsles will get a good few injuries. Didn’t scott get a late call up and score a try vs the kiwis a few years back??

Posted By: gaffer
Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 6:37pm

Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

Could well be just a short term thing.

Fingers crossed. He's been in top form and I'd hate to lose him to injury on Wales' duty (either in a game or, even worse, in training).

-------------
What's going on?

Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 7:12pm
Can’t believe Scott Williams went from being released by the Ospreys to MoM in Wales’ win over the All Blacks in the space of 4 months 

-------------

Posted By: jimmywilde
Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 7:13pm
Great stuff.
Disappointing for Willis but hopefully he'll get a start later next month.

Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 7:14pm

Can’t believe Scott Williams went from being released by the Ospreys to MoM in Wales’ win over the All Blacks in the space of 4 months 
I'm LOVING your thinking.

Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 7:33pm
Fabulous for Scott but bad for us and SA !! Hope he goes well 

-------------

Posted By: Dai Guevara
Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 8:32pm
Does this now mean that Wales will cover 80% of his wages?

Posted By: Rob o'r Bont
Date Posted: 26 October 2021 at 10:47pm

I've seen this movie before.  

The original was 1976 and it was called 'The Divine Intervention'.  "....I heard it first on telly, I thought that sounded odd, Bevan and Dai Richards in and Phil not in the squad......"

Same story and only the names have changed. Smile

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 8:06am
just so chuffed for scott, after the nightmare couple of years he has had he deserves some luck.  hes played excellently for us and thoroughly deserves his call up.
on selfish mode just gutted he will not be with us in south africa, but the big picture is scott is back where he should be.

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 8:11am
Just to clarify, the working assumption is that Halaholo is back after 10 days, and if there are no other injuries, I expect Scott to be back at the Scarlets on or about 8 November, so in theory in plenty of time for the SA pair of games ( first one on the 27th).

This is just my view by the way.

Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 8:12am
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

just so chuffed for scott, after the nightmare couple of years he has had he deserves some luck.  hes played excellently for us and thoroughly deserves his call up.
on selfish mode just gutted he will not be with us in south africa, but the big picture is scott is back where he should be.

Totally agree with your sentiments about Scott. However barring further injuries I think we may see Scott return once Halaholo is back in the squad which will be the Monday before the Fiji game. Of course lots of things can happen even with easy fixtures over the next couple of weekends. Big smile

Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 8:13am

Just to clarify, the working assumption is that Halaholo is back after 10 days, and if there are no other injuries, I expect Scott to be back at the Scarlets on or about 8 November, so in theory in plenty of time for the SA pair of games ( first one on the 27th).

Great minds and all that!!!!

Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 8:29am
No reason they all can’t be back injuries aside for SA tour

-------------

Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 9:40am
A fit scott is better than a fit willis he should be in the squad anyhow. How is tomkins playing this season? Sarrires seem to be i  good form and he aled are first team regulars there

Posted By: Lee
Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 9:47am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

A fit scott is better than a fit willis he should be in the squad anyhow. How is tomkins playing this season? Sarrires seem to be i  good form and he aled are first team regulars there
Tompkins has looked really sharp for Sarries.

Posted By: thommo
Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 9:47am

Different players and skills set. Willis was excellent last 6 nations and is a great line breaker.
Johnny Williams and Tompkins could be our centre pairing at next World Cup. 

Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 9:49am

Have seen some of Tompkins for Sarries - he is much the same. He was , in my opinion, never an International standard centre and he never will be. He looks good alongside Farrell & Lozowski playing behind a juggernaut pack but so would you RR I have no doubt. Shocked

Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 9:53am
Ha not so much these days, maybe 20 years agoSmile

Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 9:57am

I understand - time catches us all up I am afraid. Its been a while since even my imagination conjured up images of my JPR like entry into the line - with the help of copious amounts of Malbec you understand. On the subject of Tompkins though I have never quite seen what the fuss is about. For me he should not be in the squad with both Scott & Watkins far better players. 

Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 10:09am

It will be great to have him back in the International mix again and of course, these AI games enable Wayne to test a full range of players in preparation for the 6 Nations tournament , which I would like Scott  to feature in again more than this autumn  ( although players no doubt want to play in all games!!)

-------------

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 10:52am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Have seen some of Tompkins for Sarries - he is much the same. He was , in my opinion, never an International standard centre and he never will be. He looks good alongside Farrell & Lozowski playing behind a juggernaut pack but so would you RR I have no doubt. Shocked

He looked really good sidestepping around Pieter Scholtz at the weekend. But that just reinforces my view of him as a bit of a flat track bully. Against the ABs midfield, Scott is a far better option. 

Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 11:55am
Originally posted by John John wrote:

He looked really good sidestepping around Pieter Scholtz at the weekend. But that just reinforces my view of him as a bit of a flat track bully. Against the ABs midfield, Scott is a far better option. 

Kind of agree, I’ve actually always quite liked Tomkins because he looks like he cares and tries hard, but still seems prone to a howling mistake - whether that’s an intercept/missed tackle/charge down who knows.

Playing behind a Sarries pack and outside Farrell is quite the armchair ride.

Scott just seems a bit sturdier in D. 

Am I right in thinking it’s only Scarlets centres available to Pivac on Sat?

-------------

Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 11:56am

Kind of agree, I’ve actually always quite liked Tomkins because he looks like he cares and tries hard, but still seems prone to a howling mistake - whether that’s an intercept/missed tackle/charge down who knows.

Playing behind a Sarries pack and outside Farrell is quite the armchair ride.

Scott just seems a bit sturdier in D. 

Am I right in thinking it’s only Scarlets centres available to Pivac on Sat?

3 Scarlets & Ben Thomas from Cardiff. 

Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 12:05pm

The way Foxy is being skinned on outside this season I’m more worried about him starting. 

-------------

Posted By: PritchyTheScarlet
Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 12:35pm
Go on Scotty boy!

-------------
🇹🇷    

Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 12:43pm

I understand - time catches us all up I am afraid. Its been a while since even my imagination conjured up images of my JPR like entry into the line - with the help of copious amounts of Malbec you understand. On the subject of Tompkins though I have never quite seen what the fuss is about. For me he should not be in the squad with both Scott & Watkins far better players. 
nice drop that i’m into my pauillac at the moment, maybe i should jump on this boredeaux trip!!Wink

Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 1:31pm

No reason they all can’t be back injuries aside for SA tour

As I recall, Dai Young has been quoted as saying that none of the players involved in the final autumn test will be available to play for their region the next week.

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 27 October 2021 at 6:28pm

Tompkins is good going forward, but his defense is poor

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: Mrfwon
Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 3:18pm

It's ironic that Scott left us to get more game time at the Ospreys to better his chances of Welsh honours (not his decision by the way), and now he's back with us (where he belongs IMHO), playing like a demon, already captained the side, and is back in the Welsh shirt.................................an absolutely amazing story!!!!! ClapClapClapClap 

So glad Scott is back in a Scarlet jersey!!!! ClapClapClapClap

-------------
Up Yours Covid!

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 29 October 2021 at 4:24pm
Indeed - and he should have at least been on the bench v NZ.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 05 November 2021 at 2:26am
Remembering that Scott scored our definitive try from Cubby's pass in our home Heineken QF. At least i forgot anyway!

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2021

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 05 November 2021 at 5:28am
How could you forget that? tut tut lol

Also scored our 4th try at Bath (from I think Patch's dink through) in that great game where we took them to the cleaners.

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Date Posted: 05 November 2021 at 9:35am
Let’s give Scott some space. He is not the messiah and after a torrid couple of years away has already exceeded his own expectations I would think in playing so well with us ; claiming a starting role and being in the Wales camp. He may get a shout later on in the AI series and the 6 Nations but I just want him fit. It’s a long season 

-------------

Date Posted: 05 November 2021 at 9:47am

Let’s give Scott some space. He is not the messiah and after a torrid couple of years away has already exceeded his own expectations I would think in playing so well with us ; claiming a starting role and being in the Wales camp. He may get a shout later on in the AI series and the 6 Nations but I just want him fit. It’s a long season 
I agree as much as it would be lovely for him to get a cap this autumn I hope pivac doesn’t throw him in against Fiji and he gets injured we need him for the period before the six nations. 

-------------

Date Posted: 05 November 2021 at 9:58am
I'd hope (expect?) he'd be back at the Scarlets on Monday.

Date Posted: 05 November 2021 at 10:54am

i resoectfully hope your wrong he should be in the team vs fiji and possibly even captain, though  ellis jenkibs would be my pick if he is plays. Scott and halohalo be my pairing ben thomas benching

Date Posted: 05 November 2021 at 11:47am

i resoectfully hope your wrong he should be in the team vs fiji and possibly even captain, though  ellis jenkibs would be my pick if he is plays. Scott and halohalo be my pairing ben thomas benching

Thats a good shout RR - Scott captain for me. 

Posted By: NobbySosban
Date Posted: 05 November 2021 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Remembering that Scott scored our definitive try from Cubby's pass in our home Heineken QF. At least i forgot anyway!

I was wondering what I was going to do for the rest of the afternoon, but now I can watch this on loop till teatime. Diolch. Geek

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 05 November 2021 at 4:55pm
Davies to Patchel to Scott to Shingler to Cubby to Scott to score.
Oh how we missed Patchel, Cubby, Scott and Shingler last year.
I really hope we see them together again before father time makes it impossible.

-------------
Keep the faith

Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 7:10am
Scott is training with the Scarlets from today.

Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 7:13am

Scott is training with the Scarlets from today.

Well thats buggered my team selection.Cry

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 8:25am
thats a real shame for scott, think he would have deserved a game over these matches. but not sad for the scarlets to have a quality player back like him

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 8:40am
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

thats a real shame for scott, think he would have deserved a game over these matches. but not sad for the scarlets to have a quality player back like him

Agreed, though selfishly I would prefer him to be back with us & ready to be on the plane for South Africa.

Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 8:43am
With Ken's injury & Foxy probably having played the thick end of 3 games we are going to need Scott at 12 & captaining the squad in South Africa thats for sure. 

Posted By: scarletsrules
Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 9:08am
Thats a gutter for Scott after being called back into the Wales squad, youd think he would have been given some game time against Fiji this weekend!

Only good thing hes back fit with us ready to be in South Africa in 2 weeks, having him captaining us in SA will be a massive boost to the squad and quality on the field compared to the difference it might have been if he wasnt in SA with us

Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 9:52am
What's to say he won't be called up on Sunday?
I would imagine it will be a physical encounter and who knows what injuries will result.
6 day turnaround as well.
When do we fly out?

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 9:58am
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Davies to Patchel to Scott to Shingler to Cubby to Scott to score.
Oh how we missed Patchel, Cubby, Scott and Shingler last year.
I really hope we see them together again before father time makes it impossible.
Yes, looking back at the tries from the championship year too, the amount of impact Patch had was huge. Really missed him.

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 10:36am
Sorry if that came across incorrectly. He was really only there to cover any injury post Halaholo’ positive test. Other than that no expectation to play.

Glad to be back and available for SA.

Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 11:53am

Sorry if that came across incorrectly. He was really only there to cover any injury post Halaholo’ positive test. Other than that no expectation to play.

Glad to be back and available for SA.

For me it’s good to see him called up even as cover as it shows that he has made his presence known , being assessed and back in the mix. As we know an injury or two changes everything and lot of rugby awaits. 

-------------

Posted By: LLANDRE
Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 1:46pm
It makes me quite angry seeing a  home  grown Welshman being  sidelined, and preference given to a   New Zealander whose  qualified for Wales after only living here for 3 years!!!

-------------
West is Best (Fin gwybod)

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

It makes me quite angry seeing a  home  grown Welshman being  sidelined, and preference given to a   New Zealander whose  qualified for Wales after only living here for 3 years!!!

Did you feel the same when Parkes was playing, or McNichol? 

Posted By: LLANDRE
Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 1:59pm
Yes absolutely 

-------------
West is Best (Fin gwybod)

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 3:15pm
It doesn’t bother me to be honest if they wear the jersey with pride and learn the anthem more power to them. 

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 3:21pm

Why? I love Scott and he'd be in my Wales team but Halaholo has every right to play for Wales. He's come over here embraced the culture and made a home in Wales. He's even had children born here and they've embedded themselves into the local community. He's a great guy and loves the country. I don't know why people have an issue with the residency rule. 

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: Realwest
Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 3:31pm
The problem with the residency rule is that the whole point of international rugby is to see what country produces the best team,

There is little point in playing England plus a few from Nz Tonga and Sa Against a Wales with a few from similar countries.

The residency rule needs looking at ASAP if it was up to me I’d make it to be born in a country or live over half your life there.

And definitely no playing for 2 different country’s.

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

The problem with the residency rule is that the whole point of international rugby is to see what country produces the best team,

There is little point in playing England plus a few from Nz Tonga and Sa Against a Wales with a few from similar countries.

The residency rule needs looking at ASAP if it was up to me I’d make it to be born in a country or live over half your life there.

But the worlds moved on. Haven’t you heard of dual nationality? For example why can’t Halaholo be both Kiwi and Welsh?

I also don’t see why someone like Malakai Fekitoa or Charles Piutau can’t play for Tonga if say they haven’t played test rugby for five years.

Each to their own but I haven’t got a problem with it.

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

But the worlds moved on. Haven’t you heard of dual nationality? For example why can’t Halaholo be both Kiwi and Welsh?

I also don’t see why someone like Malakai Fekitoa or Charles Piutau can’t play for Tonga if say they haven’t played test rugby for five years.

Each to their own but I haven’t got a problem with it.

Nor me Steff - the Pacific Island nations deserve all the help they can get to field competitive teams. Both the named players would grace most International teams so its a shame to rugby lovers not to see them on the biggest stage. 

As for the residency rule it has been tightened recently to 5 years. The pride shown by both Parkes & Halaholo in wearing the shirt should convince anyone how deserving they were/are. As for Welsh selection I think the three best centres available at the moment are Scott, Halaholo & Jonny all who prefer to play 12. 

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 4:14pm

Especially when he isnt even picked.

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Posted By: Nine -Three
Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 4:16pm
I have similar thoughts on this as you Martin, many have set up home in their adopted homeland and to play for their adopted country to play rugby. How many stay and remain to contribute to their region or adopted country. Not that many, most return HOME. I think this debate will ride on. 

-------------
YMA O HYD

Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Nine -Three Nine -Three wrote:

I have similar thoughts on this as you Martin, many have set up home in their adopted homeland and to play for their adopted country to play rugby. How many stay and remain to contribute to their region or adopted country. Not that many, most return HOME. I think this debate will ride on. 

Moony never returned to leafy Solihull!! He’s still in Drefach!!😂

-------------

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 5:14pm

That's a shame. We need all the talent - and competition for places - we can get in Wales.

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Why? I love Scott and he'd be in my Wales team but Halaholo has every right to play for Wales. He's come over here embraced the culture and made a home in Wales. He's even had children born here and they've embedded themselves into the local community. He's a great guy and loves the country. I don't know why people have an issue with the residency rule. 

Totally agree. 

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 10 November 2021 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Nine -Three Nine -Three wrote:

They are contributing while they are here, no? 

If they are good - like Parkes, Ball, Halaholo and others, they draw in crowds and sponsors and help our teams be successful.

I assume they have pretty hefty tax bills too.

-------------
We're still still here!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net