Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46542
Printed Date: 30 November 2021 at 12:34pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Team v Sharks
Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Subject: Team v Sharks
Date Posted: 21 November 2021 at 10:31am
Hopefully all our boys came through unscathed from yesterday so my attention turns to our mini tour.

15. Liam 14. Johnny Mac 13. Foxy 12. Scott 11. Tom Rogers 10. Rhys Patchell 9. Cawdor
1. Wyn 2. Marc Jones 3. Samson 4. Louisi 5. Morgan Jones 6. Aaron 7. Tomas 8. Sione

16. Ryan 17. Rob 18. WGJ 19. Jac Price 20. Blade 21. Blacker 22. Costelow 23. Johnny Williams

That team features 18 full Internationals with  a few not even in the squad. Time for team to start showing performances worthy of their reputations. 

Replies:
Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 21 November 2021 at 12:01pm
Would start Javan or include him above WGJ. Which i think may happen anyhow as WGJ had concussion which is why he wasn’t included vs Aus. Scott, Sanjay and Mchnicholl are nailed on to start. Conbeer ahead of Rogers for me right now. Big call at ten probably would choose Patch but i’m not sure Peel will do the same, some interesting calls to make. 

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 21 November 2021 at 12:35pm
I’d take as many of the international players as possible in order to incorporate them into the squad ahead of the European championship matches in December.
If Scott is fit then he’s a nailed on starter for me, with Jonny or Foxy alongside him (perhaps they take it in turns to start or be on the bench).  Patchell would be a big call (due to his lack of game time), although the dry hard pitches may suit Costelow.  To me Samson and Rob start as they have something to prove after missing out on the autumn internationals.
Sione starts at 8 if he’s over his concussion issues with Lezano and Thompson starting on the flanks.
Jonny Mac starts at fullback for me (as he was mostly used as a sub in the autumn internationals) whereas Liam started most of the games.  Combeer starts on one of the wings and Rogers on the other, with Ioan covering the back 5 positions from the bench

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 21 November 2021 at 12:55pm
15 liam
14 jonny mac
13 scott
12 jonny w
11 conbeer
10 patchel
9 cawdor
1 wyn
2 ken
3 samson
4 lousi
5 jones
6 thompson
7 lezana
8 sioni

16 ryan
17 rob
18 wgj sebastian if unfit
19 j pruce
20 mcleod
21 blacker
22 costello
21 foxy

I dont think hatdy has shown any form of late and i tjink it would be unjust to drop blacker considering his recent form

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Posted By: hoppy
Date Posted: 21 November 2021 at 1:15pm
When do the squad fly out to South Africa 

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 21 November 2021 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Would start Javan or include him above WGJ. Which i think may happen anyhow as WGJ had concussion which is why he wasn’t included vs Aus. Scott, Sanjay and Mchnicholl are nailed on to start. Conbeer ahead of Rogers for me right now. Big call at ten probably would choose Patch but i’m not sure Peel will do the same, some interesting calls to make. 
Patchell came off on Friday and was definitely limping as he walked out to the posts to stretch his legs - unless just a dead leg and nothing serious 

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 21 November 2021 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by hoppy hoppy wrote:

Tuesday night.

Date Posted: 21 November 2021 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Patchell came off on Friday and was definitely limping as he walked out to the posts to stretch his legs - unless just a dead leg and nothing serious 
I didn’t realise I thought it was planned, not good. Hopefully precautionary.

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 21 November 2021 at 4:46pm

Tuesday

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: Calon_Coch2
Date Posted: 21 November 2021 at 4:51pm
Tom Rogers not in the 31 man squad flying out to SA on Tuesday hence the reason he played Friday night 

-------------
Calon_Coch2

Posted By: Seagultaf
Date Posted: 21 November 2021 at 5:20pm
Do you know who is in the 31 man squad for the South African tour?

Date Posted: 21 November 2021 at 5:54pm
A fully loaded Sharks ( without their internationals obviously) just lost to the Cheetahs.
They won’t have enjoyed that.

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 21 November 2021 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Calon_Coch2 Calon_Coch2 wrote:

Tom Rogers not in the 31 man squad flying out to SA on Tuesday hence the reason he played Friday night 
I wonder what happened? He certainly didn't shine on Friday I thought, but then few did.

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 21 November 2021 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

15 liam
14 jonny mac
13 scott
12 jonny w
11 conbeer
10 patchel
9 cawdor
1 wyn
2 ken
3 samson
4 lousi
5 jones
6 thompson
7 lezana
8 sioni

16 ryan
17 rob
18 wgj sebastian if unfit
19 j pruce
20 mcleod
21 blacker
22 costello
21 foxy

I dont think hatdy has shown any form of late and i tjink it would be unjust to drop blacker considering his recent form
I don't think Jonny W starts ahead of Foxy, tbh.

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 22 November 2021 at 9:03am
These 2 games will define our season for me, if we don't go well out there we will struggle against Bristol & Bordeaux.

Posted By: Tony Clifton
Date Posted: 22 November 2021 at 5:23pm
Our best 9 is Blacker IMO. Hope we don’t lose him, he’d be an immediate starter at the Ospreys.

Posted By: Tim Opolis
Date Posted: 22 November 2021 at 8:41pm
If reputation was ignored, and recent Scarlet performances were the benchmark, Dane would be first choice imo.

-------------
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.

Posted By: scarletsrules
Date Posted: 22 November 2021 at 9:38pm
Its been announced that all internationals except Ken Owens will be travelling to SA, Cardiff have left quite a few of theirs behind, good to see the internationals travelling with us , we cant afford to go to far behind in the league so we need to be fully loaded

Date Posted: 22 November 2021 at 9:39pm
And Josh is on the plane!! 

Date Posted: 23 November 2021 at 5:53am
All subject to Covid testing protocols being adhered and passed.

South Africa is very different COVID gravy to Wales.

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 23 November 2021 at 7:47am
What’s the reason for Ken’s absence?

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Date Posted: 23 November 2021 at 7:51am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Ken is still suffering with his back & reports suggest that it is not going to be a quick fix. Peel is quoted as saying it is unlikely he will feature until at least Xmas definitely missing the first rounds of Europe. 

Date Posted: 23 November 2021 at 8:05am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Ken is still suffering with his back & reports suggest that it is not going to be a quick fix. Peel is quoted as saying it is unlikely he will feature until at least Xmas definitely missing the first rounds of Europe. 

He is possibly going to struggle to make the start of the 6 nations.

Date Posted: 23 November 2021 at 8:27am
Great to hear that Josh is on the trip. Hopefully he will get some minutes & be ready to start against Bristol. We have certainly missed his fantastic contributions over the ball & carrying. Both he and Rhys Patchell will make a big difference to our performances once they are back to speed. 

Date Posted: 23 November 2021 at 10:22am
Also great to hear that Cubby is back in training. 

Date Posted: 23 November 2021 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Seagultaf Seagultaf wrote:

Also great to hear that Cubby is back in training. 

More good news - I can't cope with all this positivity!!!!!!

Posted By: ChrisX
Date Posted: 23 November 2021 at 11:15am
Good luck boys and safe trip, hope Dane gets a start at 9. 

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 23 November 2021 at 11:33am
Elias needs a break 4 tough tests in 4 weeks is a bit of a killer tbh. Most the other guys has plenty of rest and should be good to go

Date Posted: 23 November 2021 at 12:56pm
I’d be surprised if those that had a big shift in the AI campaign ( and/or started last Saturday) will figure in game 1.
Could be wrong.

Date Posted: 23 November 2021 at 1:05pm
Would like a full strength team to be honest and that includes Elias.

Date Posted: 23 November 2021 at 2:17pm
Player welfare needs to be factored in as well.  No one should really be plAying 4 tests in 4 weeks, bad management by wales tbh

Posted By: NobbySosban
Date Posted: 23 November 2021 at 3:59pm
Interesting to see Scarlets & Cardiff taking different approaches to their international players on the SA mini tour.s Good chance to get them all together, treat it partly as a warming weather training break ahead of ERC matches, and get some form on pitches which should suit our playing style.

Dai Young has decided his Wales players are knackered and need a break, whereas Peel is reminding his squad who their first allegiance should be - and who would want to miss out on a trip to SA?! Let's see which approach works out best...

Date Posted: 23 November 2021 at 4:46pm
Durban ( apart from a water shortage in parts of the city and some civil unrest issues...which I've just made to sound frivolous there when of course they are not) is very nice this time of year.

I think the players will relate to a bit of the climate benefits.

Can't believe I'm flying back from Africa this weekend, and Scott, who I have seen since August 2020, is flying to Africa.   

Date Posted: 23 November 2021 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Durban ( apart from a water shortage in parts of the city and some civil unrest issues...which I've just made to sound frivolous there when of course they are not) is very nice this time of year.

I think the players will relate to a bit of the climate benefits.

Can't believe I'm flying back from Africa this weekend, and Scott, who I have seen since August 2020, is flying to Africa.   

Defo some forward planning issues there Wil. Durban climate at this time of the year beats the hell out of Emlyn thats for sure. Shocked

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 23 November 2021 at 4:52pm

Why the secrecy with the squad announcement.Still not named.

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 23 November 2021 at 5:43pm
Glad they taking all internationals I used to think we should be resting them but have increasingly got to thinking they doing what they love and getting paid handsomely for it. They are truly blessed that they play for one of the best sports teams with the best fans in the world. 
Working 28 days on the trot 12 hour shifts that’s hard physical graft. 
So 4 games in 4 weeks should not be a bar to anyone playing in lovely weather with their mates. 

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 23 November 2021 at 7:34pm

I’d be surprised if those that had a big shift in the AI campaign ( and/or started last Saturday) will figure in game 1.
Could be wrong.
I'd be surprised if you were wrong.

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 23 November 2021 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Glad they taking all internationals I used to think we should be resting them but have increasingly got to thinking they doing what they love and getting paid handsomely for it. They are truly blessed that they play for one of the best sports teams with the best fans in the world. 
So 4 games in 4 weeks should not be a bar to anyone playing in lovely weather with their mates. 

The idea is that resting players is done to benefit the team, not just them.

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 23 November 2021 at 9:26pm

the 4 games were in wales vs the likes of boks nz and oz is also hard work.  In the 6 nations players get weeks off even tge lions don’t play 4 tests in 4 weeks

Date Posted: 24 November 2021 at 9:00am

Hopefully all our boys came through unscathed from yesterday so my attention turns to our mini tour.

15. Liam 14. Johnny Mac 13. Foxy 12. Scott 11. Tom Rogers 10. Rhys Patchell 9. Cawdor
1. Wyn 2. Marc Jones 3. Samson 4. Louisi 5. Morgan Jones 6. Aaron 7. Tomas 8. Sione

16. Ryan 17. Rob 18. WGJ 19. Jac Price 20. Blade 21. Blacker 22. Costelow 23. Johnny Williams

That team features 18 full Internationals with  a few not even in the squad. Time for team to start showing performances worthy of their reputations. 

Named the above team some while ago. Apparently Tom Rogers did not travel so I guess 11 will either be Conbeer or Steff. Also as Josh has travelled we may well see Aaron start at 5 with Morgan to the bench, Blade to 6 & Josh to 20. I have gone for Ryan on the bench as he could probably do without a heavy shift or indeed he may be rested alltogether with Shaun or Daf taking the 16 shirt. The other Internationals selected have not really had too much workload during the Autumn. If WGJ has not recovered from his HIA then Javan comes in which doesn't really weaken us.

When I read the teamsheet I cannot see any way we lose to the Sharks without their Internationals - how daft am I?????

Date Posted: 24 November 2021 at 9:31am

Morgan Jones been poor the games I have seen this season, very much doubt he was on the plane. 

Date Posted: 24 November 2021 at 9:35am
Not sure if Aaron is there

Posted By: KID A
Date Posted: 24 November 2021 at 9:39am
I feel we are a Sam Lousi injury away from a rather weak front 5, and that doesn't normally equal success in South Africa. Hope I'm wrong.

Posted By: Dai Guevara
Date Posted: 24 November 2021 at 11:30am
Before selecting a team, it would be helpful to know what squad we have to choose from. As far as I know this hasn't yet been announced. But why the secrecy - they have already travelled?

Posted By: dyniol53
Date Posted: 24 November 2021 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Before selecting a team, it would be helpful to know what squad we have to choose from. As far as I know this hasn't yet been announced. But why the secrecy - they have already travelled?

I think we’ve signed Eben Ethzebeth but they don’t want to tell us 

-------------
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en

Date Posted: 24 November 2021 at 11:48am

Well from Peel's interview I can conclude some names on the plane :-

Liam, Johnny Mac, Foxy, Johnny Williams, Scott, Rhys Patchell, Cawdor, Hardy
Wyn, Ryan Elias, Josh Mcloud, Tomas Lezana.

Date Posted: 24 November 2021 at 1:15pm

Well from Peel's interview I can conclude some names on the plane :-

Liam, Johnny Mac, Foxy, Johnny Williams, Scott, Rhys Patchell, Cawdor, Hardy
Wyn, Ryan Elias, Josh Mcloud, Tomas Lezana.

And Blacker makes 13!!!

Posted By: Realwest
Date Posted: 24 November 2021 at 8:00pm
Agree with this , I as well as many on here have done many jobs worse than the pro rugby schedule.

It’s a honour to have the ability and the opportunity to be a pro sportsman. Especially one who represents their country.

Best I ever had was to play in front of a crowd of about 1500 and that was a buzz, imagine playing in the Principality with 74500 I’d pay them to let me have a game.

Date Posted: 24 November 2021 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

the 4 games were in wales vs the likes of boks nz and oz is also hard work.  In the 6 nations players get weeks off even tge lions don’t play 4 tests in 4 weeks
Reward is playing for best club side in world with your mates in South Africa not a bad life really 

-------------

Date Posted: 24 November 2021 at 10:25pm
I hate to say this but there are some mad posts on this thread. None of you have played at the intensity of modern pro rugby. 

We simply don't rest players as some sort of freebie. We are managing the loads on their bodies, to try to get the best out of them over the season. 

It's nothing like we used to play for our local clubs. Nothing at all

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 24 November 2021 at 10:32pm

Aside of Ryan Elias who was immense throughout! All our Welsh Bois had limited gametine.

It be great so see them fit and available. 

Date Posted: 24 November 2021 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

I hate to say this but there are some mad posts on this thread. None of you have played at the intensity of modern pro rugby. 

We simply don't rest players as some sort of freebie. We are managing the loads on their bodies, to try to get the best out of them over the season. 

I’m not saying it is but not having played at that level you don’t know if they used to it and don’t need rest . All players are different some may need rest some may not. Most shift jobs there is no rest and you go to work knackered probably not fit but have to go. Some jobs a lot more dangerous than rugby and pay a lot less and hours are horrendous. 
They are very lucky to be going to SA with mates to play for the greatest club. 

-------------

Date Posted: 24 November 2021 at 10:43pm

this playing sport is a great job but it’s also very tough and very demanding. It was pretty poor form for wales to flog elias in that manner tbh

Date Posted: 24 November 2021 at 10:49pm

I’m not saying it is but not having played at that level you don’t know if they used to it and don’t need rest . All players are different some may need rest some may not. Most shift jobs there is no rest and you go to work knackered probably not fit but have to go. Some jobs a lot more dangerous than rugby and pay a lot less and hours are horrendous. 
there are not many if any shift job as physically demanding as training and playing test match rugby tbh. The only ones that are involvle active military combat or combat sports. Not saying it’s not a great career but it’s certainly physically and mentally taxing

Date Posted: 24 November 2021 at 10:57pm

Which is why I trust the judgement of the performance specialists, medical team, strength and conditioning team employed by the club Thumbs Up

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 24 November 2021 at 10:58pm

Which is why I trust the judgement of the performance specialists, medical team, strength and conditioning team employed by the club Thumbs Up
This isn't about being knackered but still going to work. It's elite level sports. It's about putting people on the field in the best possible condition. Not "[beep] em they're paid enough"

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 24 November 2021 at 11:00pm

this playing sport is a great job but it’s also very tough and very demanding. It was pretty poor form for wales to flog elias in that manner tbh
I agree. Team Wales has no interest in anything but the 9 games per season in the AIs and 6N.
They care not a jot about the rest of the season for these players (other than them having a few warm up games in time for test rugby)

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 8:19am

there are not many if any shift job as physically demanding as training and playing test match rugby tbh. The only ones that are involvle active military combat or combat sports. Not saying it’s not a great career but it’s certainly physically and mentally taxing

That would of course depend on the era you are talking about. Don't think I would have fancied doing an 8 hour shift at the coalface & then turning out for Ammanford in the afternoon which many many have done or indeed a full shift at the steelworks before playing for Llanelli when they beat the All Blacks which at least one of our boys did I understand. 

Of course the word that I have missed is professional - modern day athletes work in an environment designed to maximise their performance. Professional strength & conditioning personnel oversee their every day with nutrition, sleep & activity monitored all aimed at maximising performance on a given day. Yes it is, in many instances, a well rewarded though short career but we should also spare a thought for the majority of the squad who will not be being paid huge bucks but will still be expected to live the life of a professional athlete which though glamourous in many ways comes with restrictions many of us would find intolerable.

Leave it to the S&C professionals to decide who is ready to play at the weekend to their maximum potential - it is after all what they are being paid for. 

Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 12:34pm
I see that Cardiff have published the list of players they have taken to South Africa. Does anyone know if the Scarlets are going to let their supporters know who they have taken?

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 4:20pm

I understand what you are saying, but this was forced by injuries, surely? Ken O was out. Dee was out until a brief sub appearance, then Wales picked up the Ulster player none of us had ever heard of... I guess the other contenders were also injured or not good enough.

I thought Elias did his reputation as lot of good - he fronted up and put in real shifts. Apart from the usual occasional lineout blips, he put in some really solid performances.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 4:21pm

I see that Cardiff have published the list of players they have taken to South Africa. Does anyone know if the Scarlets are going to let their supporters know who they have taken?

Or if not - why not? Oh the intrigue .......

Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 4:24pm
There does not seem to be a compete list of the players flown out to SA, but this is on the Scarlets' website if you haven't already seen it:

Scarlets welcome back internationals for South African double header
Scarlets fly out to South Africa on Tuesday to prepare for the resumption of United Rugby Championship action.

They face the Cell C Sharks at Jonsson Kings Park in Durban on Saturday before heading up to the Highveldt to take on the Vodacom Bulls in Pretoria.

Head coach Dwayne Peel spoke to the media before the squad travelled. Here’s what he had to say.

How have preparations been?

“We’ve had a good few weeks of training working on a few things and we’ve also been able to see players in the two development games, some young guys who we haven’t seen before. This trip has come around quickly, initially we were planning not to go, then just before the Leinster game we were told we were going so it’s been a bit of a mad dash to get things organised from a logistics point of view, but we are on the plane tomorrow and are looking forward to it.

“It’s great for the competition that we are able to go to South Africa, it’s exciting for us to be going out there and Sharks first up at a great rugby stadium in Kings Park will be a great rugby experience for everyone. It will be the first time for them to host a URC game so the occasion is going to be big.”

Will you be taking the players involved in the autumn international series?

“Yes, we will. Ken is the one who won’t be with us, he is not in training at the minute and I don’t think he will be fit for our European campaign. That takes him to Christmas and we will see then how he has progressed. 

“The other (international) boys will travel with us tomorrow. We will take a view of this week’s game (against Sharks), a few will play, a few won’t. There are also boys returning to fitness like Josh Macleod and Tomas Lezana, I am looking forward to seeing those boys on the trip.”

Is Rhys Patchell in the squad?

“Rhys will travel with us, it has taken time to get back into the groove. He has had a torrid 18 months or so in terms of injuries, he played 60 minutes against Dragons and 40 last weekend (against Ospreys A). There are areas of his game he will want to get more fluid at, but it was just nice to see him out there to be honest. We know he is a good operator, it’s just about giving him more time in the saddle.”

What about the challenge of taking on the South African teams on their own patch?

“These four teams coming in add massive depth and quality to our league. They have been there and thereabouts in Super Rugby over the last 10-15 years so we know both games will be tough, physical encounters. We have trained ready for that and we will be ready come Saturday.  The big thing for us is that we execute our game-plan and show them our our strengths as well.”

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: Jones2004
Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 6:04pm
Will there be crowds allowed into the games or are both behind closed doors? Also will our squad be in a covid bubble for the two weeks or are they allowed out and about?

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 6:18pm
there is a worrying new variant raising i'ts head in south africa.

Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 6:29pm
Crowds in SA restricted to 2,000.

Posted By: Boisbach
Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 6:40pm
Regarding Ryan Elias, for me Ryan has not played much rugby at all over the last 5 years or so.

He has been battling behind Ken for us and Wales, so he would have been absolutely delighted to get 4 tough games under his belt.  

For me he has not been flogged, he played a lot of minutes during a 4 week period, which he hasn’t done for a very very long time. He is a young hard man, who excelled under the circumstances and has certainly put a marker down.

Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 6:59pm

Ryan as really showed what he can do with regular rugby ..I would suggest the last thing he needs is a rest .

Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 7:14pm

Or if not - why not? Oh the intrigue .......

If I hadn’t been able to take a couple of my best/influential players I’d be reticent to announce a touring squad. Keeps the opposition guessing see.

Posted By: Boisbach
Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Ryan as really showed what he can do with regular rugby ..I would suggest the last thing he needs is a rest .

Totally agree.

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 7:52pm

From social media posts I’ve spotted the 24 below. I expect there’ll be another 3 front rowers (Phil Price, Daf Hughes/Shaun Evans, Alex Jeffries?), 1 more lock (Tom Price/Morgan Jones?), 1 more back rower (Aaron Shingler/Iestyn Rees), a centre (Jon Davies) and a Back 3 player (Steff Evans). 

LH Props: Rob Evans,  Wyn Jones
Hookers: Ryan Elias, Marc Jones
TH Props: Samson Lee, Javan Sebastian 
Locks: Sam Lousi, Jac Price
Back Row: Sione Kalamafoni, Tomas Lezana, Josh Macleod, Carwyn Tuipulotu, Blade Thomson

Scrum Halves: Gareth Davies, Kieron Hardy, Dane Blacker
Fly Halves: Dan Jones, Rhys Patchell
Centres: Scott Williams, Steff Hughes, Johnny Williams 
Back 3: Johnny McNicholl, Liam Williams, Ioan Nicholas 

Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 8:10pm
Is Costelow injured?

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 8:15pm

Seen how much they get paid?

Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 8:18pm

WGJ and Carwyn are there.

Posted By: Havard Fan
Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 8:38pm
I'm happy with the fact that all fit internationals have travelled and we should have two decent squads for the games. Hopefully we'll be competitive.

One of the nutrition providers did personal travel packs for the players with their names on. You can read most of them if you want to know

https://twitter.com/ND_Nutrition/status/1463165156536553477?t=woo1KOBkedt0KzdHqG0plQ&s=19" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/ND_Nutrition/status/1463165156536553477?t=woo1KOBkedt0KzdHqG0plQ&s=19

Posted By: Havard Fan
Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 8:42pm

Crowds in SA restricted to 2,000.

That's a shame. Especially with the size of their stadiums.

Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 9:05pm
Flights from sa banned from fri. We could be coming straight back

Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

no one should play 4 tests in weeks fly 12 hours and play again that same weekend. Thats a riduclous schedule tbh

Posted By: townboy
Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 9:17pm

Things not looking good in South Africa with Covid 

Posted By: Rob Hunt
Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 9:50pm

Unless they can get a flight back overnight, which would seem to be highly unlikely at such short notice, they could be stuck in South Africa indefinitely. Either way 10 days quarantine will be mandatory on return to the U.K..

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 10:06pm
This is worrying for the URC moving forward, we’ll need to leave tomorrow or face a long period in SA.  The SA teams will be unable to travel
To the UK and Ireland either, makes it difficult for them to continue competing in the competition.

Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 10:09pm
Watching BBC News and they say that flights will be banned until hotel quarantine can be put in place. The best case scenario is still going to be a huge disruption to our season and also the league as a whole.

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Rob Hunt Rob Hunt wrote:

Watching BBC News and they say that flights will be banned until hotel quarantine can be put in place. The best case scenario is still going to be a huge disruption to our season and also the league as a whole.
Cardiff  as well? 

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 10:17pm
Zebra and Munster are also in South Africa.

Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 10:20pm
This absolutely Fs up our season. Unless the squad are able to jump on a plane home tonight (very unlikely) they’ll have to spend 10 days in quarantine. I hope we just play the game on Saturday and then fly straight back so that we don’t miss an European game. Missing a league game will be bad enough but missing a European game would be a disaster. Will also mean that a few of our internationals won’t have played together before the European game. Out of interest can the whole squad isolate (and train) together or will they have to isolate in their own hotel rooms. If the latter fitness could be a problem for the Bristol game as they will have at most 4 days out of quarantine before the game. 

Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

This absolutely Fs up our season. Unless the squad are able to jump on a plane home tonight (very unlikely) they’ll have to spend 10 days in quarantine. I hope we just play the game on Saturday and then fly straight back so that we don’t miss an European game. Missing a league game will be bad enough but missing a European game would be a disaster. Will also mean that a few of our internationals won’t have played together before the European game. Out of interest can the whole squad isolate (and train) together or will they have to isolate in their own hotel rooms. If the latter fitness could be a problem for the Bristol game as they will have at most 4 days out of quarantine before the game. 

Cardiff are planning to come home tomorrow if they can.
We're surely doing the same.

We're screwed either way because 10 days in isolation means 10 days with no real training

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 10:26pm

We're screwed either way because 10 days in isolation means 10 days with no real training
Would it be possible to fly to a third country first, do 10 days there and then come back? I know it’d be more expensive for the club but if possible it would allow a 10 day ‘training camp’ which would be much better preparation for the Bristol game than 10 days sitting in a hotel room. I’m sure the club are looking at all types of solutions themselves and I just hope they do the best out of an awful situation.

Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 10:33pm

Would it be possible to fly to a third country first, do 10 days there and then come back? I know it’d be more expensive for the club but if possible it would allow a 10 day ‘training camp’ which would be much better preparation for the Bristol game than 10 days sitting in a hotel room. I’m sure the club are looking at all types of solutions themselves and I just hope they do the best out of an awful situation.
They're trying to get the squad home ASAP. Ron Morgan just said on Twitter.

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 10:49pm

No need to isolate provided they’re back in the country by 4am on Sunday, apparently. 

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 10:56pm
Have Wales  banned flights also?  The ban only applies to England So far.

-------------
Keep the faith

Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 11:11pm
Looks like all matches in South Africa will be called off Blues are trying to get flights back home tomorrow

Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 11:12pm

Looks like all matches in South Africa will be called off Blues are trying to get flights back home tomorrow
don’t think you can fly to wales directly from sa  sorry hoppy replying to grey power

Date Posted: 25 November 2021 at 11:15pm
https://twitter.com/swmuderack?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1464005036208529414%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=about%3Ablank" rel="nofollow -
-
Many will have seen the news about the new Covid variant that affects our people https://twitter.com/scarlets_rugby?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1464005036208529414%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=about%3Ablank" rel="nofollow - @scarlets_rugby in South Africa. We are focused on the welfare of our staff in South Africa and the concern of their families at home. We are exploring all options to repatriate our people asap

Posted By: dyniol53
Date Posted: 26 November 2021 at 2:14am

They’d be wise to go somewhere like Qatar and train there as they have all the facilities ready to do for World Cup next year 

-------------
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en

Date Posted: 26 November 2021 at 7:36am
This is what the BBC has on the story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59425255" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59425255

-------------

Date Posted: 26 November 2021 at 7:43am

don’t think you can fly to wales directly from sa  sorry hoppy replying to grey power

Possibly a charter flight for both squads direct into Cardiff? At the moment the ongoing implications on our season pales into insignificance compared with the health implications on the individuals involved. Their health and safety is paramount. 

Date Posted: 26 November 2021 at 7:47am
There are no commercial airline options that get them back to the UK pre 4am Sunday as at now...but the status as you can imagine is quite fluid...

Best/most dependable option is to look for a charter, and see if that gets them home pre that window.
Even then that window only applies to British nationals, so it's possible that guys like Lezana and Lousi etc would have different arrangements.

Although the options are pretty limited, I'm hugely impressed by how the Scarlets have mobilized everything they can to to get these guys home.

Date Posted: 26 November 2021 at 7:50am

There are no commercial airline options that get them back to the UK pre 4am Sunday as at now...but the status as you can imagine is quite fluid...

Best/most dependable option is to look for a charter, and see if that gets them home pre that window.
Even then that window only applies to British nationals, so it's possible that guys like Lezana and Lousi etc would have different arrangements.

Although the options are pretty limited, I'm hugely impressed by how the Scarlets have mobilized everything they can to to get these guys home.

Does the change affect your travel plans Wil - is Kenya affected by the red list additions?

Date Posted: 26 November 2021 at 8:00am

Does the change affect your travel plans Wil - is Kenya affected by the red list additions?

No, no impact here.

But I’m not leaving until he does!

Date Posted: 26 November 2021 at 8:10am

No, no impact here.

But I’m not leaving until he does!

Every cloud as they say Wil - hopefully you & a quarantine free Scott can get together after all. 

Posted By: jimmywilde
Date Posted: 26 November 2021 at 8:46am
Hopefully they can sort out a charter today.
I know it's a mess rugby wise but let's just get them out and worry about that later.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net