Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46593
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 8:34am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Bordeaux game at risk
Posted By: supertaf
Subject: Bordeaux game at risk
Date Posted: 11 January 2022 at 5:48pm
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-10388083/English-Welsh-clubs-set-boycott-European-fixtures-France-weekend-Covid-rules.html%20" rel="nofollow - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-10388083/English-Welsh-clubs-set-boycott-European-fixtures-France-weekend-Covid-rules.html

Makes sense.

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Replies:
Posted By: surfing-mtber
Date Posted: 11 January 2022 at 6:07pm
BBC article regarding European matches:

European Champions Cup organisers have ruled the 28-0 defeats registered against Ospreys and Scarlets for Covid-hit round one games will stand.

Ospreys were due to travel to Racing 92 in France while Scarlets had to call off going to Bristol.

Cup chiefs say Ospreys and Scarlets' situations differed to round two games that were affected by French travel rules.

Seven British-French games were called off and have been deemed 0-0 draws.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59956092" rel="nofollow -

-------------
Joshua24:15

Posted By: hartson11
Date Posted: 11 January 2022 at 7:06pm
Worth noting that Bordeaux also currently have 6 cases of covid in the camp - 2 identified on Fri, 2 yesterday and 2 more today.

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 11 January 2022 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by hartson11 hartson11 wrote:

Worth noting that Bordeaux also currently have 6 cases of covid in the camp - 2 identified on Fri, 2 yesterday and 2 more today.

Now that is interesting!! 

Posted By: Huwbach
Date Posted: 11 January 2022 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by hartson11 hartson11 wrote:

Now that is interesting!! 

Depressing too. I miss watching our team play I can’t take another week of cancellations. 

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 11 January 2022 at 11:46pm
0-0 draw and 2 points each ? 🤔

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 12 January 2022 at 6:11am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

doing better than i thought in this pool.Wink

Posted By: Scarlswb
Date Posted: 12 January 2022 at 7:08am
How is it that we (Scarlets) are being penalised again,Cohen we we ready and able to play the game and it was the French Government that stopped the matches taking place.
What is the make up of the ERC committee, let me guess, is it mainly French..?
I am really disappointed with the unfair decisions being made in these matches.

Date Posted: 12 January 2022 at 8:12am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

I do wonder though, if Bordeaux do have sufficient covid cases to prevent them fielding a team, will we get 4 points?

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 12 January 2022 at 8:37am

I do wonder though, if Bordeaux do have sufficient covid cases to prevent them fielding a team, will we get 4 points?

If they can't field a team we get 28-0 and 5 points.

Date Posted: 12 January 2022 at 8:38am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Of course! That would do, 7 points after 3 games & a neutral points difference.

Date Posted: 12 January 2022 at 8:53am

Of course! That would do, 7 points after 3 games & a neutral points difference.

Piece of cake this European rugby. In all seriousness they are battling to maintain any relevance for this tournament. Have we had any news of Leinster's appeal I wonder. Surely they can't make a special case? The EPCR are obviously hoping that they get to the spring with 16 relatively worthy qualifiers which will make the knock out stages worthwhile. 

Date Posted: 12 January 2022 at 9:16am
It's a bloody mess. 

Posted By: Rubrum
Date Posted: 12 January 2022 at 10:05am
Fscarlet says "It's a bloody mess".
I have to agree.
What is it with rugby administrators?
They are so bad they must all be UK politicians in their spare time.

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Rubrum

Posted By: saundersfootscarlets
Date Posted: 12 January 2022 at 10:21am

It's a bloody mess. 

Too right , surely all cancelled/postponed games should either be replayed like the football or both sides given 2 points each not these random 28-0 and 5 points for one team in the current circumstances. 

-------------
saundersfoot scarlets

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 12 January 2022 at 12:05pm
If we don’t get a 5 point, 28-0 win, should Bordeaux be found to have positive cases then this would confirm peoples views that ERC just make up the rules as they go along.
If we do get awarded it, then we would have done alright out of the first 3 rounds in Europe, 7 points out of a maximum 15, a zero points difference, with 2 away games and 1 away against the 2 favourites.  

Date Posted: 12 January 2022 at 12:13pm
I would guess, with the ridculous 48 hour ruling the Scarlets are well within their rights to request a decision on whether Bordeaux can fulfill the fixture early tomorrow as they would have to fly out Friday morning to satisfy the above regulation which of course does not affect Munster.

If anyone need any further evidence of the stupidity of the French & EU systems then look no further as clearly the Omicron variant is intelligent enough to spot the non border between Ireland & Ulster.

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 12 January 2022 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

If we don’t get a 5 point, 28-0 win, should Bordeaux be found to have positive cases then this would confirm peoples views that ERC just make up the rules as they go along.
If we do get awarded it, then we would have done alright out of the first 3 rounds in Europe, 7 points out of a maximum 15, a zero points difference, with 2 away games and 1 away against the 2 favourites.  
The covid lottery … i wonder if there is a programme or video game they can just simulate the rest of the season and be done with this farce.

Date Posted: 12 January 2022 at 3:53pm
A version of shove halfpenny played between opposing captains on the pitch ? Scissors Paper Stone ? 😂

Date Posted: 12 January 2022 at 4:09pm

A version of shove halfpenny played between opposing captains on the pitch ? Scissors Paper Stone ? 😂

Not sure that's fair on Leigh really, he's not 100% fit yet!

Posted By: Seagultaf
Date Posted: 12 January 2022 at 4:11pm
This is ridiculous, Bath are due to be playing in France on Saturday and they still don't know whether their team will have to quarantine for 48hrs when they arrive in France. 
If they do need to quarantine, they need to fly out early tomorrow to ensure they are out of quarantine in time to play the game. But still no news from France!

Posted By: hartson11
Date Posted: 12 January 2022 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Seagultaf Seagultaf wrote:

This is ridiculous, Bath are due to be playing in France on Saturday and they still don't know whether their team will have to quarantine for 48hrs when they arrive in France. 
If they do need to quarantine, they need to fly out early tomorrow to ensure they are out of quarantine in time to play the game. But still no news from France!

Sale have confirmed they’re travelling to France. Suggests an exemption is about to be announced.

Posted By: hoppy
Date Posted: 12 January 2022 at 10:16pm

Dwayne Peel speaks to media ahead of Euro clash in Bordeaux

Dwayne Peel spoke to the media today ahead of Sunday’s Heineken Champions Cup clash with Bordeaux-Begles.

Here’s what he had to say …

Dwayne, the big question is, is the game going ahead?

DP: “Yes, as far as I know the game is going ahead. There are a few hurdles to cross, but we are prepping to go and looking forward to it. This is a great competition, we were disappointed that we missed rounds one and two. We know it is a tough place to go, Bordeaux are flying at the moment, it is going to be a big challenge, but we feel we are in a good place and it will be good for the boys to play in front of fans as well.”

How are you Covid-wise?

DP: “We are better in terms of Covid than the last couple of weeks. It is such a moving feast you are taking each week and each test as it comes. Having that Ospreys game on New Year’s Day was awesome and we were looking forward to pushing on and playing games and we know that will come because we have a lot of games ahead of us – Bordeaux, Bristol and Ulster in this block and more rescheduled matches during the Six Nations. It just seems crazy that we are in the second week of January with six games under our belt. We have a good feeling in our group, the boys are training hard and we have been preparing as well as we can.”

Where would a win in Bordeaux rank for the club?

DP: “It would be right up there, France is always a special place to play in European competition. You have to be prepared to go there and play because you are going to be under the pump at times. When you think of all the big scalps Welsh teams have taken in France, they have been under the pump in a big way, you have to stick in the game and dig in and then you have a chance. It is about having that mentality to fight for the 80 minutes and see where you are at the end of it.”

What are Bordeaux’s threats?

DP: “They have a quality back-row with (Cameron) Woki in there, they have a strong set-piece as you can imagine, international half-backs and dangerous players out wide. The reality is they are a quality outfit and French league leaders; they have taken some big scalps already this year. If we give them space and time they will come after us. The big thing for us is that we don’t give them that and we take our game to them.”

What is the latest on Ken Owens, Johnny Williams and Josh Macleod?

DP: “Ken has had a procedure (on his back). He is doing rehab and the plan is to get him back playing this season. With that sort of injury, it’s caution, especially where Ken is in his career. We are not going to be risking anything with him. The thing for him is that we get him back on his feet and back in training, when that time is right, and we will see where we are with that.

“As for Johnny and Josh, they won’t be available for the next couple of weeks. Johnny, unfortunately, pulled his calf towards the end of our South African trip, so he’ll be out for a couple of weeks. We’re not far off with him, but he won’t be right this week. 

“Josh is obviously bitterly disappointed.  The guy has worked so hard and been fantastic in training, leading up to the Ospreys game.  To have that hamstring injury so early in the game is obviously a killer blow for him. He was so excited about coming back and had worked so hard to come back.  But, look, it’s one of those things in sport.  One thing I know about him is that he’ll get back on the horse straight away.  He’s straight in the gym doing his rehab etc. Hopefully, we’ll see him in the shorter rather than longer term back in a Scarlets shirt.”

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 12 January 2022 at 10:46pm

According to reports, France going to lift sanctions on UK visitors. Looking like game will go ahead. 

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 8:02am
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

According to reports, France going to lift sanctions on UK visitors. Looking like game will go ahead. 
The missing piece on that is when they’re lifted for everyone. All I’ve seen re the teams is a request for waiving the conditions re when to arrive and being able to leave and not risk 10 day stay for positive cases.

Either way, fingers crossed for a full weekend of live matches available to watch.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 10:41am
France opens its border to UK holiday makers from tomorrow, no quarantine but must show negative test taken within 24 hours of departure.

Game on!

Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 10:52am

France opens its border to UK holiday makers from tomorrow, no quarantine but must show negative test taken within 24 hours of departure.

Game on!

Its my understanding that Unvaccinated travelers still have to self isolate. Is that correct?

If so that would mean that any individuals in the Scarlets party who are not fully vaccinated will be unable to travel.

Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 10:58am

Game on!

Its my understanding that Unvaccinated travelers still have to self isolate. Is that correct?

If so that would mean that any individuals in the Scarlets party who are not fully vaccinated will be unable to travel.

Those who are un-vaccinated must provide an essential reason as to why they are entering France.

ETA: Unsure if that means they have to self isolate.

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 11:30am
This is all a shambles, some teams are due to play on Saturday but would have had to leave today at the latest if the 48 hour isolation rule is still in force today.  ERC should just award the same points as was discussed for round 2!, that would mean no club is disadvantaged by the changes in travel arrangements of the countries involved, and as they are the reverse fixtures of round 2, it seems the only fair outcome.
However, if Bordeaux can’t fulfill the fixture due to Covid cases in their squad then we should get the 5 match points and 28.0 score line that Bristol had in round 1.

Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 11:51am

Game on!

Those who are un-vaccinated must provide an essential reason as to why they are entering France.

The link to the BBC article is below. The concerning statement is that, Unvaccinated travelers need a compelling reason to travel and must still isolate for 10 days on arrival. Surely that would exclude any non triple jabbed Scarlets players and support team members from traveling to France?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59977978" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59977978

Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 1:32pm

Game on!

The link to the BBC article is below. The concerning statement is that, Unvaccinated travelers need a compelling reason to travel and must still isolate for 10 days on arrival. Surely that would exclude any non triple jabbed Scarlets players and support team members from traveling to France?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59977978" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59977978

Any of our intended travelling party who are not fully vaccinated and do not pass a test within 24 hours of travel will not be going to Bordeaux. That is pretty reasonable now that the silly 48 hour quarantine has been dropped. 

Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 1:50pm

Game on!

Any of our intended travelling party who are not fully vaccinated and do not pass a test within 24 hours of travel will not be going to Bordeaux. That is pretty reasonable now that the silly 48 hour quarantine has been dropped. 

The BBC take on the new regulations is that travelers need to be vaccinated AND pass a COVID test, see quote from BBC latest article below, which still suggests unvaccinated players and staff will have to self isolate.

Players or staff who are not vaccinated would still have to isolate for 10 days upon arrival and, regardless of vaccination status, all travellers must have a negative Covid-19 test 24 hours before leaving the UK.”

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 2:04pm
I hope we don’t have too many unvaccinated players. They’ll be unable to go.

-------------
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh

Posted By: Huwbach
Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

We have a few according to Peel but should be ok - a bit telling though.

Posted By: tannerbankboy
Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 3:08pm

Game on!

If that's the case anyone unable to travel shouldn't be paid for the time they are unavailable.  It's their right to be unvaccinated but I don't see why employers and colleagues should suffer as a result.

Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

If that's the case anyone unable to travel shouldn't be paid for the time they are unavailable.  It's their right to be unvaccinated but I don't see why employers and colleagues should suffer as a result.

That raises a valid point, some employers (Ikea & Next to name a couple) have said they won't pay sick pay for unvaccinated staff if they have to isolate as a result of contracting COVID.

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 3:21pm

Game on!

Absolute nonsense they didn’t know the rules which change every day seemingly and can’t have three vaccines in 24 hours. We live in a free country people should have choice what to put in their bodies without fear of being punished if they don’t. 
I am fully vaccinated and believe in them but will fight for the rights of others to choose. 

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

[QUOTE=Fscarlet]France opens its border to UK holiday makers from tomorrow, no quarantine but must show negative test taken within 24 hours of departure.

Game on!

Absolute nonsense they didn’t know the rules which change every day seemingly and can’t have three vaccines in 24 hours. We live in a free country people should have choice what to put in their bodies without fear of being punished if they don’t. 
I am fully vaccinated and believe in them but will fight for the rights of others to choose. 

[/QUOTe

I don't want to make a habit of this Why but I tend to agree with you. Its a different matter if your contract specifies this but I doubt they do. In this instance not being able to take part is punishment enough.

Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 3:44pm

Game on!

Yep and to hell with the overstretched NHS staff who may have to mop their feared brows I assume? Sorry, I disagree and I will fight for the rights of the NHS workers over these selfish anti societal people (Just my opinion of course Embarrassed)  

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

”A couple” is what Peel answered when asked before the Ospreys match. 

Posted By: Jones2004
Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 5:31pm
For now I’d agree that unvaccinated players should still be paid but when the next contract negotiations come up the club would be well within their right to say that if an unvaccinated player misses a game because they are unvaccinated they won’t get paid. It would still offer them free choice, but emphasise that there are consequences to being unvaccinated. 

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 5:46pm

Game on!

My view is, we are currently in this sh1te mainly due to hospitals being full of unvaccinated people who are ill with covid. Why arent people angry with those people? I dont get it. I find it hugely frustrating to the point where I honestly feel, if you choose not to be vaccinated and get ill, you should pay for your treatment. Yes its 100% your choice, but there are consequences.

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Game on!

My view is, we are currently in this sh1te mainly due to hospitals being full of unvaccinated people who are ill with covid. Why arent people angry with those people? I dont get it. I find it hugely frustrating to the point where I honestly feel, if you choose not to be vaccinated and get ill, you should pay for your treatment. Yes its 100% your choice, but there are consequences.
Drug addicts, alcoholics and smokers all to pay for their treatment as well I take it then. 

-------------

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

For now I’d agree that unvaccinated players should still be paid but when the next contract negotiations come up the club would be well within their right to say that if an unvaccinated player misses a game because they are unvaccinated they won’t get paid. It would still offer them free choice, but emphasise that there are consequences to being unvaccinated. 

NFL have gone a step further. If a game is called off due to an unvaccinated player(s) testing positive. The team with the cases forfeit the have to pay any lost income to the opposing club.
Net result is that agents are dropping unvaccinated players as they will become impossible to get a contract extension or transfer.

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 5:50pm

Game on!

Drug addicts, alcoholics and smokers all to pay for their treatment as well I take it then. 
And rugby players?

-------------
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 6:16pm

Game on!

I share your frustration at the non-vaccinated. 

My reaction depends on whether I know the person or if it’s just an en-masse anti-vaxxer like Piers Corbyn.

One our best friends in France refused to be jabbed so he never went near a restaurant etc after 1st August. He died last week. He’d been ill for a while and didn’t really want to take his medicine. In turns, very frustrating, sad but ultimately his choice and we respected that.

Those that deny the virus’s existence and come up with all sorts of illogical reasons to avoid vaccination, I just don’t understand.

While freedom of choice should exist to a certain extent, if the use of that choice leads to persistently or extreme examples of bad choice, there should be sanctions.

While we might think supporting the Ospreys is not very logical, it is a choice that has little consequential impact. So a “go ahead if you really must” kind of choice and yes I know they’d say the same about us.

Someone who objects to the govt and goes about blowing up people and places or carries put random assaults and killings needs their choice punished heavily. 

Someone choosing not to vaccinate falls somewhere in between. Exercising that choice would have vastly differing consequences for them depending on their location. Wil and others could add some specifics to this. 

If the government insisted on a vaccine confirmation document for all restaurants, bars etc, the hospitality sector could carry on without fear of having to shut down. It would act as an incentive to weaken the resolve of the anti-vaxxers. 

Macron wants to turn the screw on the unvaccinated in France and has said so. Some other friends of ours over there have only recently got jabbed. Claiming it was anti Buddhist, which it may well be, to get vaccinated, they got fed up with not seeing their vaccinated friends nor going into a restaurant.

Calling into our local garage on the way home this pm, the owner’s son and wife recently got back from the Caribbean and have come down with Covid. They’re both vaccinated and are struggling with the symptoms. It’d have been even worse if they’d not been jabbed.

If the cabinet weren’t formed from such a narrow range of views and backgrounds, there’d probably be a harder line taken on the vaccine, or maybe not…………..

-------------

Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 6:24pm

Game on!

Clap

Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 7:02pm
There is a huge problem in the ethnic community with their religious leaders peddling anti vaccine material. My neighbour is a Muslim and unvaccinated because of the teaching in his mosque and is very confused about what to do. He also has a severely disabled daughter who can’t be vaccinated yet has to go to hospital regularly. Should he be castigated possibly but please look at the situation from others perspective before judging. 

-------------

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 7:03pm

There is a huge problem in the ethnic community with their religious leaders peddling anti vaccine material. My neighbour is a Muslim and unvaccinated because of the teaching in his mosque and is very confused about what to do. He also has a severely disabled daughter who can’t be vaccinated yet has to go to hospital regularly. Should he be castigated possibly but please look at the situation from others perspective before judging. 
Yeah religion and science never mix 

Posted By: Cofi
Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 8:42pm
I hope we don't loose key players from our playing squad because they've refused to be vaccinated.
( That is covid vaccinated, I presume they are up to date with their  Polio, Diptheria, Mumps, Rubella, Whooping Cough and Measles vaccinations.)

Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 8:50pm

I would have thought the bame community would be rushing to be vaccinated being as they are more at risk,and it's not judging to say that if the majority of people had a sick child they would do everything in their power to protect that child,religion has a lot to answer for.

Posted By: Nikostratos
Date Posted: 13 January 2022 at 11:05pm
Why, perhaps you might point your neighbour towards this site:
https://mcb.org.uk/resources/coronavirus/" rel="nofollow - https://mcb.org.uk/resources/coronavirus/   [Muslim Council of Britain] which is fully supportive of vaccination and has vearious myth-busting resources keyed to Islamic beliefs. 

Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 8:39am
I'm actually excited for Sunday, I don't know why but I am excited.

Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 8:53am

I'm actually excited for Sunday, I don't know why but I am excited.

Scarlets, more than most, need games. Its unbelievable that we are 3 weeks away from the 6 nations & we have only played 6 games!!! I am also excited just to watch our team - I have zero expectations just great to see the boys on the field doing what they love. Dwayne has got it spot on by saying that we won't stand a chance if we don't show ambition and take our game to them. 

Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 9:05am
We do GPR, we really do. The more I have seen online & heard through interviews, the more I am convinced that Dwayne is really getting the boys into his way of playing including the methods of training.

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 9:30am
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

he’s daft if he is willing to put his daughter at risk. No god would want you to endanger an innocent child  no matter what religion you beleve in and i say that as a church going catholic

Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 9:31am

Game on!

people have the right not to be vaccinated and nations have the right not to let unvaccinated people into their country

Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 9:34am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

he’s daft if he is willing to put his daughter at risk. No god would want you to endanger an innocent child  no matter what religion you beleve in and i say that as a church going catholic

Too right RR. Absolute b....y nonsense to put your own child, or for that matter anyone else's, in any danger. I sometimes wonder if the World has gone bonkers. 

Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 9:43am

She can’t have the vaccine because of her condition and the medicines she already on. It’s a horrendous situation to be in along with pressure from family and others within his community. 

-------------

Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 9:49am

She can’t have the vaccine because of her condition and the medicines she already on. It’s a horrendous situation to be in along with pressure from family and others within his community. 
no but he can and he should , if his mosque is peddling such nonsense he should simply attend another one, these clerics are not experts on this disease

Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 10:41am
I wonder how Bordeaux are getting on in terms of their positive COVID tests.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net