Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46597
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 11:01am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Scarlets side to face Bordeaux
Posted By: Fscarlet
Subject: Scarlets side to face Bordeaux
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 12:11pm

15 Liam Williams; 14 Johnny McNicholl, 13 Jonathan Davies (capt), 12 Scott Williams, 11 Steff Evans; 10 Sam Costelow, 9 Gareth Davies; 1 Wyn Jones, 2 Ryan Elias, 3 WillGriff John, 4 Sam Lousi, 5 Aaron Shingler, 6 Blade Thomson, 7 Tomas Lezana, 8 Sione Kalamafoni.

Reps: 16 Marc Jones, 17 Phil Price, 18 Samson Lee, 19 Morgan Jones, 20 Carwyn Tuipulotu, 21 Dane Blacker, 22 Rhys Patchell, 23 Ioan Nicholas

Replies:
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 12:12pm

Unavailable because of injury

Rob Evans (knee), Josh Macleod (hamstring), Ken Owens (back), Tom Price (ankle), Dan Davis (pectoral muscle), Tom Phillips (knee), Josh Helps (Achilles), James Davies (concussion), Leigh Halfpenny (knee), Corey Baldwin (foot), Lewis Rawlins (concussion), Harri Williams (ankle), Johnny Williams (calf), Joe Roberts (knee).

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 12:13pm
Good to see Blacker on bench

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 12:14pm
Thats not far off our strongest 23 at the moment. Great to see Morgan Jones & Carwyn involved. Well done to Blacker - go for it lads absolutely nothing to lose. 

Posted By: surfing-mtber
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 12:15pm
Very attacking side that.  Pleased for Blacker and glad to see Samson back. Hope not too many scrums.

-------------
Joshua24:15

Posted By: Maple
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 12:29pm
Is the game on TV?

-------------
Give Blood, Play Rugby

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 12:34pm
Sounds like Rob Evans is going to be out for a while. That’s a big blow. 

Posted By: Rob o'r Bont
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Good to see Blacker on bench
Yes indeed, I was thinking the same. Not a bad side at all but a tough ask seeing how little rugby they've been playing.

-------------

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 12:54pm
Wyn, Elias WGJ that could be a Wales front three.  Pressure is on them plenty of Props vying for a place and with limited games at club level these guys need a good game.

Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Maple Maple wrote:

Is the game on TV?

BT Sport.

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Originally posted by Maple Maple wrote:

Is the game on TV?

BT Sport.

Or on French channel 2 (FR2) if you have a satellite (as I do) or a VPR...

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 1:45pm
A very attacking selection - I'm delighted to see Wyn Jones back and Samson on the bench - hope they are good to go. Costelow + Patchell at 10 means that we are intending to run the ball, not play rugby tennis... nice to see Blacker get a chance - he's been great recently - we are spoiled at 9 ATM...

Who is captain? Fscarlet's post shows Foxy - he's the designated captain this season - but the email from Scarlets shows Scott... either is fine, though for my money Scott has been the form centre in Wales this season - baffled by his omission from the autumn tests.

We may not have great hopes of progressing, in the circumstances, but I really hope the boys 'give it a lash' and have fun...

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 2:03pm
A great selection (considering all the injuries), a very attack minded selection by Dwayne, with 2 sets of running halfbacks.  It should be a try fest, I just hope we hold out defensively, as that’s been our weak point for the past 2 - 3 seasons.
We have nothing to lose this weekend as we’ve already been unfairly disadvantaged following the rulings from round 1 and 2, it’s a free hit really.
I can’t wait to see the match and hopefully we will get to see Carwyn being exposed to European competition.

Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

A great selection (considering all the injuries), a very attack minded selection by Dwayne, with 2 sets of running halfbacks.  It should be a try fest, I just hope we hold out defensively, as that’s been our weak point for the past 2 - 3 seasons.
We have nothing to lose this weekend as we’ve already been unfairly disadvantaged following the rulings from round 1 and 2, it’s a free hit really.
I can’t wait to see the match and hopefully we will get to see Carwyn being exposed to European competition.

Totally agree, nothing to lose at all.

The one thing I hope with young Carwyn is that I hope we feed him the ball a little wider than we have been as when he takes it first receiver off 9 he doesn't tend to make a lot of ground. When he has taken it as second receiver he tends to be running into a bit more space which suits him & our off loading game. 

Posted By: Mr Lee91
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 2:20pm
Good side, easy 5ptsWink

Don’t understand why Tom Rogers or Conbeer aren’t getting any game time, need some speed out wide.
Interested to know if Blacker’s been selected for rugby reasons or if Hardy is unavailable through Covid.

Rob Evs is a big loss, we’ve got 5 games without internationals, Phil Price and Steffan Thomas against Saffer front rows will be tough going, hoping we keep either WGJ or Samson.

-------------
As long as you win it once, you'll never be forgotten

Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 2:38pm
I believe that Combeer and Rogers are injured, it is interesting to know whether Hardy is not travelling due to restrictions on unvaccinated people entering France (without a reasonable excuse).

Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 2:45pm

I believe that Combeer and Rogers are injured, it is interesting to know whether Hardy is not travelling due to restrictions on unvaccinated people entering France (without a reasonable excuse).
Neither are on the injury list, don’t know if they’ve been playing in the prem though.

-------------

Posted By: Tony Clifton
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 2:46pm
Very happy to see Blacker and Jones in the squad, I’ve been begging for their inclusion lately!
Good team selection, what’s up with Revs?

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 4:40pm
Bordeaux playing their first string for this one….massive front 5, as befits all Top 14 teams.

Missing Jalibert at 10, but Trinh-duc is no bad replacement. Moefana at centre is a terrific talent, already capped.

Posted By: Dai Guevara
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 4:47pm
I'm not sure how wise it is to start with Shingler in the second row against a "massive" Bordeaux front 5. To me it would make more sense to start with Morgan Jones and have Shingler coming on later, when there was more chance that the game was opening up.

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

I'm not sure how wise it is to start with Shingler in the second row against a "massive" Bordeaux front 5. To me it would make more sense to start with Morgan Jones and have Shingler coming on later, when there was more chance that the game was opening up.
I think Shingler is there for lineouts. Nervous about how our scrum will hold up.

Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 5:06pm
Aye they have a 6’9 lad in the row.

Morgan is very short of game time and we clearly have no more fit flankers.

Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

I think Shingler is there for lineouts. Nervous about how our scrum will hold up.

The lad up against WGJ would normally be employed in ‘security’.

No neck as such.

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

The lad up against WGJ would normally be employed in ‘security’.

No neck as such.
Getting battered at scrum time is a big concern here. If we can avoid that, we have enough pace and skill to give them a game.

-------------
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh

Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 5:33pm
I really hope so. Leicester did just that, against pretty much the same side.

My biggest concern ( apart from that) is they will just be well drilled and match fitter. They have played 13 games to our 6.

Their bench is immensely strong.

Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 5:46pm
Nothing to lose.
I am already in buoyant mood due to being able to go to next week's game, so I have a very positive feeling about Sunday.

Will explain my workings later, possibly!

-------------

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 5:47pm

We have 14 internationals starting! And two on bench.

Go out be positive! Keep ball and run them ragged! 

Posted By: Scrletsfan32x
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 5:52pm
Is the game on tv? I’ve checked BT sport and it’s not on.

Posted By: hoppy
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 6:30pm
Should be on BT Sport

English Referee Karl Dickson 

Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 6:36pm
It’s on BT sport 3 gents. 

Posted By: coldith
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Mr Lee91 Mr Lee91 wrote:

Neither are on the injury list, don’t know if they’ve been playing in the prem though.

Hardy’s daughter and partner tested + for Covid 

Posted By: RFC
Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 7:20pm

So, you know Hardy is not vaccinated then? 

Date Posted: 14 January 2022 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by coldith coldith wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Lee91 Mr Lee91 wrote:

Hardy’s daughter and partner tested + for Covid 
Fingers crossed they’re symptom free and not ill with it.
Either way get well soon both.

Always great seeing the players with their little ones after games, might be too soon but hopefully see Kieran with Piper after smashing Bristol.

-------------

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 15 January 2022 at 12:45am
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

We have 14 internationals starting! And two on bench.

Go out be positive! Keep ball and run them ragged! 
You have to win the ball first. Very hard to see Scarlets coming close here. There’s just too much power in this Bordeaux side 

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 15 January 2022 at 7:05am
Our best selection of the season...I think we could do good in Bordeaux this week...come on boys!

Date Posted: 15 January 2022 at 8:07am

Bordeaux playing their first string for this one….massive front 5, as befits all Top 14 teams.

Missing Jalibert at 10, but Trinh-duc is no bad replacement. Moefana at centre is a terrific talent, already capped.

Jalibert on the bench returning from injury. The longer Trinh-duc plays the better for us. Our only chance is to make this a helter skelter frenzy - play with tempo, cherish the ball & don't give it back to them or they will try to strangle us up front. Look out for their full back who is 18 and is being tipped as a future International by many. 

As I have said previously I have zero expectation - this Bordeaux team is one of the top French outfits; I am just so pleased to see our boys on the field. Good luck today bois bach & enjoy the experience. 

Date Posted: 15 January 2022 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Scrletsfan32x Scrletsfan32x wrote:

It's tomorrow, don't forget

-------------

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 15 January 2022 at 12:25pm
Got a good feeling about this game it’s time now for the senior players to stand up and be counted. 

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Posted By: shocker
Date Posted: 15 January 2022 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Originally posted by Scrletsfan32x Scrletsfan32x wrote:

It's tomorrow, don't forget

Sunday at 3pm on bt sport  3

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 15 January 2022 at 2:01pm
I hope Sam's family are ok in Tonga after the tsunami. The pictures dont look over dramatic but his family may be elsewhere or on another island.

Posted By: minime
Date Posted: 15 January 2022 at 4:59pm
I just went through the Bordeaux team, and if I'm correct, then Liam has possibly more international caps than their starting XV put together.  I'm quite surprised by that.  Not to say that they won't be good mind you.

-------------
Clart with a heart now living in the land of the one eyed!

Date Posted: 15 January 2022 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by minime minime wrote:

I just went through the Bordeaux team, and if I'm correct, then Liam has possibly more international caps than their starting XV put together.  I'm quite surprised by that.  Not to say that they won't be good mind you.

They do have a Wo(o)ki(ee) in their backrow though.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 January 2022 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by minime minime wrote:

I just went through the Bordeaux team, and if I'm correct, then apart from the Moldovan prop, Liam has possibly more international caps than their starting XV put together.  I'm quite surprised by that.  Not to say that they won't be good mind you.

-------------

Posted By: crj89
Date Posted: 15 January 2022 at 5:28pm
That’s a brilliant side we’ve put out. Reservations over scrum time with Shingler in the 2nd row, and don’t ask me why but I don’t really rate Steff Evans as a standout player, in the same mould as Dan Jones he is a competent regional player, for everything Steff Evans does well he does something equally as foolish. Question marks over if they’re fit or not but I’d have Rogers or Conbeer on the wing before him.

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 15 January 2022 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

That’s a brilliant side we’ve put out. Reservations over scrum time with Shingler in the 2nd row, and don’t ask me why but I don’t really rate Steff Evans as a standout player, in the same mould as Dan Jones he is a competent regional player, for everything Steff Evans does well he does something equally as foolish. Question marks over if they’re fit or not but I’d have Rogers or Conbeer on the wing before him.
He is a bit too loose at times, but I thought he played very well against the Ospreys last time out. 

Posted By: M.M.
Date Posted: 15 January 2022 at 6:21pm
Bordeaux are not top of the French league for nothing. We will have our work cut out to curtail any momentum they build up.

All I ask for is a competitive performance tomorrow.

Posted By: PritchyTheScarlet
Date Posted: 15 January 2022 at 9:26pm
Statement from Bordeaux:

Three positive cases of Covid-19 having been detected within the Girondin workforce, the staff had to reshuffle their team composition this morning to face the Scarlets.

Following the regulatory antigen tests carried out today within the UBB group due to play the Champions Cup match against the Scarlets this Sunday (4:15 p.m.), three positive cases of Covid-19 have been detected.

As required by the protocol decreed by the EPCR, the club immediately informed the Medical Commission of the competition and the players concerned were placed in isolation.

The staff has therefore made several changes to its team composition. Among them, the positioning in the scrum of Santiago Cordero and the tenure on the wing of Nathanaël Hulleu. Initially replacing, Matthieu Jalibert returned to the starting XV. Finally, Joseph Dweba replaces Clément Maynadier, unavailable for medical reasons unrelated to Covid (back).

-------------
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny

Posted By: M.M.
Date Posted: 15 January 2022 at 9:36pm
So, Jalibert starts then! 

Posted By: Bys Meri Ann
Date Posted: 15 January 2022 at 10:05pm
It will be tough for our Tongan players given the uncertainty about the effects of the tsunami - we're starting with 2 Tongans and 1 Welsh Tongan on the bench.

Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 5:08am
Bordeaux have had to shuffle the team based on some Covid cases and injury.

Jalibert is the only 10 In the 23 and now starts. Change at hooker, flanker and centre. Pretty much same calibre.

The big change is now no recognised scrum half in the 23: so Cordero moves there ( he’s a back 3 player, no idea of his SH credentials). Gareth will be eyeing that.

What a great experience for Sam to come up against Jalibert.

Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 7:51am

Jalibert is the only 10 In the 23 and now starts. Change at hooker, flanker and centre. Pretty much same calibre.

The big change is now no recognised scrum half in the 23: so Cordero moves there ( he’s a back 3 player, no idea of his SH credentials). Gareth will be eyeing that.

Very interesting. I certainly would have preferred Trinh-duc at 10 but the scrum half situation is interesting. One recognised half back in the 23 - we could be seeing an 8 man game from Bordeaux. In all seriousness we were big outsiders yesterday - this news brings us a little closer for sure. We need to be all over their 9/10 from second one. Jalibert has been injured so good test for him to come through a possible 80 minutes. Stay in the fight this could get tasty in the final 20 minutes if we are within striking distance. 

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 8:33am
anyone know if BT do day passes?

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 9:04am
Morning,good luck for the team today ,you can do it

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Morning,good luck for the team today ,you can do it
Thanks. 

Good to see Pieter’s contribution yesterday in that outstanding Wasps win. 

-------------

Posted By: diego6754
Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 10:45am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Very interesting. I certainly would have preferred Trinh-duc at 10 but the scrum half situation is interesting. One recognised half back in the 23 - we could be seeing an 8 man game from Bordeaux. In all seriousness we were big outsiders yesterday - this news brings us a little closer for sure. We need to be all over their 9/10 from second one. Jalibert has been injured so good test for him to come through a possible 80 minutes. Stay in the fight this could get tasty in the final 20 minutes if we are within striking distance. 

Hopefully Cordero's outing at scrum half will be about as successful as when Italy played Bergamasco at 9 against England!! SmileSmile

Posted By: Jones2004
Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 10:51am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

No, they don’t. A month is the shortest time period you can buy it for, although I guess you could share the login with someone and get both today and next week’s game for the price. I believe it’s £25 if you don’t have anything else BT, but a bit cheaper if you have broadband or phone with them already (I’m not a 100% on that though).

Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

No, they don’t. A month is the shortest time period you can buy it for, although I guess you could share the login with someone and get both today and next week’s game for the price. I believe it’s £25 if you don’t have anything else BT, but a bit cheaper if you have broadband or phone with them already (I’m not a 100% on that though).
Find yourself a friendly pub then!

-------------

Posted By: rugby_mad
Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 11:31am
Anyone know where is showing the game today please

Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 11:36am
Originally posted by rugby_mad rugby_mad wrote:

Anyone know where is showing the game today please

Try: 
http://www.bt.com/sport/watch/whats-on/pub-finder" rel="nofollow - https://www.bt.com/sport/watch/whats-on/pub-finder

You might have to ring the pub to check.

I'm not a Soccer fan really, but I think there's only one televised Premier League game this afternoon, so there's a chance of the rugby being on!

-------------

Posted By: Dai Guevara
Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 12:29pm
We've got to have a plan to take the steam out of that massive Bordeaux pack and certainly not provide them with too many scrums close to our line, maybe even play Kalamafoni in the second row in defensive scrums, and instruct Cawdor to harass as Tomos Williams did to Danny Care for Cardiff against Quins.

Posted By: PritchyTheScarlet
Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 2:18pm
Blade misses out after picking up a knock in training. Shingler moves to 6, Morgan Jones starts and Jac Price comes onto the bench.

-------------
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny

Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 2:25pm
That adds a bit more bulk to our pack and more important a bit more grunt behind the front row.  Hope it’s not too serious a knock though.
Shingler moving to 6 won’t hinder our mobility in the back row either.

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 2:48pm

Come on Scarlets!!! Let's hope the Blade injury his not serious? 

Posted By: tim d
Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 2:49pm
Any sites  I can watch this on please

-------------
I'm sick of it

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by tim d tim d wrote:

Any sites  I can watch this on please

https://vk.com/rugbyonsofa?fbclid=IwAR1Ruri0m9nsTpzj9Rd_bQ0QtkjD3fNS0m3l9iEmu1HJgrtqw3xoOWHEZMg&z=video-200149158_456243125%2Fvideos-200149158%2Fpl_-200149158_-2" rel="nofollow - https://vk.com/rugbyonsofa?fbclid=IwAR1Ruri0m9nsTpzj9Rd_bQ0QtkjD3fNS0m3l9iEmu1HJgrtqw3xoOWHEZMg&z=video-200149158_456243125%2Fvideos-200149158%2Fpl_-200149158_-2

Posted By: tim d
Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 2:55pm
Cheers

-------------
I'm sick of it

Posted By: Realwest
Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 3:01pm
Is thIs working , just a black screen for me , maybe starts at kick off

Posted By: judith
Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 3:05pm
Does this one work? No sound though:

http://0dt.net/video/3195506.html" rel="nofollow - http://0dt.net/video/3195506.html

And here's a link where you might find others (not all work though, usually):

http://www.sportp2p.com/rugby/1264902/bordeaux-begles-scarlets-free-live-streaming-online-p2p.html

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

thanks,spent the money on few beers and relying on forum.LOL

Posted By: Scarletstarch
Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 3:50pm
Thanks Mr Ian! Clap

-------------
"YMA O HYD"

Posted By: Realwest
Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 5:09pm
On the plus side stream was very good I’m trying to find the clermont game , how do you search for the streams

Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 5:09pm
Thank you ,yes no one expect that

Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 5:10pm
Thank you,no one expect a won over toulousse

Posted By: Kentexile
Date Posted: 16 January 2022 at 7:08pm
Yes unfortunately the stream worked
However thanks to Mr Ian for circulating 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com