Win v Bristol means qualification?

Printed From: Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets
Category: RUGBY
Forum Name: SCARLETS GENERAL
Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46606
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 7:32pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Win v Bristol means qualification?
Posted By: 157cb
Subject: Win v Bristol means qualification?
Date Posted: 19 January 2022 at 6:44pm

Just seen Dwayne's comments, regarding Saturday . Do we get a European Challenge Cup Qualification place with a win ? Or are we reliant on other results also ? Confused .

Replies:
Posted By: hoppy
Date Posted: 19 January 2022 at 7:00pm
If scarlets beat Bristol and finish in 9,10,or 11 place they will qualify for challenge cup 

Top 8 qualify for knockout phase is what I have read 

Date Posted: 19 January 2022 at 7:07pm
 Thanks hoppy. So if we get a better match result than Cardiff in Toulouse, we are through to last 16 of Challenge Cup .

Posted By: JonnyLewis420
Date Posted: 19 January 2022 at 7:19pm
To finish 8th:
Scarlets 5 points. 
Cardiff lose in Toulouse. 
Castres lose at quins. 
Stade lose to Connacht at home. 
Crazier things have happened. 

To get 9/10/11th and qualify for 2nd tier knock out:
Scarlets win.
1/3 of the above teams lose. 
Castres and Cardiff really up against it so if we win we should get a knock out game. 

-------------
For the losers now, will be later to win.

Date Posted: 19 January 2022 at 7:20pm
Wasps also need 0 points in Munster for 8th, sorry. 

-------------

Posted By: hoppy
Date Posted: 19 January 2022 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Thanks hoppy. So if we get a better match result than Cardiff in Toulouse, we are through to last 16 of Challenge Cup .

Yes can not see Cardiff or castres winning their games
So if scarlets win we should get through 

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 19 January 2022 at 8:25pm
It will be quite a turn around to beat Bristol.
I'm looking forward to the game and hoping for a performance that will put a smile on our faces!

-------------
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 19 January 2022 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

It will be quite a turn around to beat Bristol.
I'm looking forward to the game and hoping for a performance that will put a smile on our faces!
I agree but Bristol aren’t that good either. Crowd will have a big part to play 

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 19 January 2022 at 9:30pm

Spot on Steff, Bordeaux played 14 won 11, drawn 1 lost 2 , 9 PTS clear at top of Top 14 . Bristol played 12 ,won 4 ,lost 8 and fourth from bottom of Premiership.

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 8:47am
Just as an aside, Toulouse reported 10 positive COVID tests on Monday, with more to be done today. 

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Just as an aside, Toulouse reported 10 positive COVID tests on Monday, with more to be done today. 

Cardiff could get a 28-0 then ????

Where would that leave us ?

Posted By: scarletsrules
Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 10:06am

So Cardiff could be looking at a 28-0 win which would mean we need a bonus point win and to beat Bristol by more than 30 points for Champions Cup qualification aswel as other results going our way

Toulouse arent even guaranteed to qualify for the last 16 of champions cup as it stands so they will hopefully do their best to get the game played

Whats the process in the rounds after the last 16? how is it determined who gets a home QF etc, is it a random draw or whoever was the higher finisher in the pool stages?

Bristol could send a weaker team down to us as they have already qualified for the last 16

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 10:22am
They were ahead of us on points difference anyway, based on the facts that they have played in all 3 rounds.  We on the other hand got a zero points difference against Bordeaux at home, lost by 35 points in Bordeaux and were given a -28 points difference for the Bristol match away, leaving us on -63.  
Cardiff on the other hand have a points difference of -61, so just 2 points in it.
If Toulouse aren’t able to fulfill the fixture this weekend against the blues then the blues should be given the 5 point win and +28 points difference taking them to 7match points and points difference of -33.  This would mean that we would need a bonus point win and a winning margin of 31 points to finish above them, a really tough ask., considering our lack of match fitness and the possible effects of last weekend’s performance on the match day squad.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

They were ahead of us on points difference anyway, based on the facts that they have played in all 3 rounds.  We on the other hand got a zero points difference against Bordeaux at home, lost by 35 points in Bordeaux and were given a -28 points difference for the Bristol match away, leaving us on -63.  
Cardiff on the other hand have a points difference of -61, so just 2 points in it.
If Toulouse aren’t able to fulfill the fixture this weekend against the blues then the blues should be given the 5 point win and +28 points difference taking them to 7match points and points difference of -33.  This would mean that we would need a bonus point win and a winning margin of 31 points to finish above them, a really tough ask., considering our lack of match fitness and the possible effects of last weekend’s performance on the match day squad.

I cannot see Toulouse not fulfilling the fixture with the squad size they have. After failing to beat Wasps with a man advantage they will have been given a tough training week & will be breathing fire whether its a 1st or 2nd team. 

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 11:43am
Lets just focus on the game not what may or may not happen after. 

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 12:10pm
I just want a good performance and a win ! We need the mental uplift after last week and the disaster of the season due to covid and incompetence in the URC and EC 

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 12:44pm
Randall and thomas will be up for this and sheedy and lloyd. Be a tough game but we can do it

Posted By: hartson11
Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 1:32pm
Was disappointed to see a load more seats were put back on sale on the ticketmaster site today, looks like being a relatively poor crowd unfortunately.

If we can’t get bums on seats for an Anglo Welsh clash, with free u16 tickets and ST holders having extra seats for a fiver, then im not too sure where we go from here to be honest.

Having said that, maybe I'm not taking into account people’s reluctance to get back to mass gatherings, and the fact it clashes with the Swans. And realistically they’ve only had a week to sell tickets.

Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 2:12pm
This competition is fatally flawed so interest will be low. It is, of course, an important fixture in terms of our season but I totally get the reluctance of supporters. 

Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

This competition is fatally flawed so interest will be low. It is, of course, an important fixture in terms of our season but I totally get the reluctance of supporters. 

Saturday afternoons are a no go for me, I still play so I can never get there in time.

Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 2:23pm

Saturday afternoons are a no go for me, I still play so I can never get there in time.

Fair points 

Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by hartson11 hartson11 wrote:

Fair points 

Wasn't so bad when we had New Dock Stars, Bynea & Burry Port in our league!

Posted By: Grammar School Boy
Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 2:38pm

Who wants to see 50 point losses?

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 2:42pm
Evening kick offs not good for me as driving in the dark presents problems for me.  But I've paid my season ticket  so I'll  be there in mind if not in body.

-------------
Keep the faith

Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Grammar School Boy Grammar School Boy wrote:

Who wants to see 50 point losses?

Played four games at home, aside of the woeful performance against Munster ..Three try bonus point wins, against Lions, fully loaded Treviso ( us minus our Internationals and Ospreys...The season is an absolute mess, two hugely disappointing results away to Leinster/ Ireland and Bordeaux 9 ponts clear at top of the French League and a budget of 21 million Euros .

So onwards and upwards to Bristol...Many people in this town do not deserve a World renown rugby team ,that's fought well above its station for a couple of centuries .
      So Dwayne saying in his press conference ,we miss the crowds ..So every Scarlet in that stadium Saturday, get behind our team .Let's make it an uncomfortable for Bristol. Sing loud and proud!!!!
      Just love these European occasions!!!

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 4:04pm
Only team in last place drop out altogether isnt it? So, top 8 in each pool go to last 16 of Cup, next 3 go into Challenge cup. So in fact as long Cardiff lose to Toulouse by 3 more points than we lose to Bristol, we qualify.

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Posted By: Dai Guevara
Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 4:49pm
I'm afraid that losing half a dozen of our own lineouts, missing 40 tackles and failing to establish any sort of presence in the Bordeaux 22 has dampened my enthusiasm for this match.

Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 5:09pm
Didn’t realise this game was live on S4C. Probably isn’t helping sales. I’m all out of excuses now.

Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 5:16pm

Didn’t realise this game was live on S4C. Probably isn’t helping sales. I’m all out of excuses now.
Sales are good though arent they? Sure I heard the £5 offer was going really well. Anyone who doesnt come to this game after all the Covid shenanigans really should question how much of a supporter they are.

-------------

Posted By: Raised By Peregos
Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 5:23pm
Supertaf beat me to the punch... but yeah, people can make their own decisions, and some reasons cannot be avoided but I'm sorry, for me there are too many posts here where people are basically saying they're fair weather supporters. 

I will be there on Saturday, with my ageing father, travelling around 2 hours from door to Stadium (on a smooth run), season ticket in hand, to watch some live rugby for the first time in what seems like forever, and I will shout and sing, and curse most likely, and quite possibly be disappointed and see a 50 point loss. But I will be back, supporting them just the same next time because they are my team. 

Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Sales are good though arent they? Sure I heard the £5 offer was going really well. Anyone who doesnt come to this game after all the Covid shenanigans really should question how much of a supporter they are.

Hopefully the ticketmaster seat map is somehow painting a false picture of sales and they’re actually decent, I can’t see how mind. I’ll be there regardless and I’m looking forward to it.

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 7:51pm

It does make you think, there were outcries when supporters were banned at matches. 

Posted By: Owen111
Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 8:00pm
Only other thing i can think of is 6 to a table and table service isn’t appealing to those who like
To make a day of it 

Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 8:01pm

Sadly certain people, just make excuses.. Bath only one there first game a week or two back, been hammered in every game home and away. Yet get a full house every game. 

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 8:41pm

Sadly certain people, just make excuses.. Bath only one there first game a week or two back, been hammered in every game home and away. Yet get a full house every game. 
Yet look at Wasps last week lucky if there was 5000 and that’s with a government who didn’t take extreme measures like Drakeford who tried his best to kill the sport in Wales. 

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 8:50pm
Looks to me like we'll have our usual 7-8k.
I haven't shifted any £5 tickets to friends/family which is unusual. I literally can't give them away!!

Covid doesn't help, for sure. I certainly wouldn't judge anyone who was still worried about their own health.

For once I can make the train times from Hwest, so I'll have a few pints!

-------------

Posted By: ChrisX
Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 9:13pm
I know of 2 extras coming - every little helps hey?

Posted By: swissscarlets
Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 10:09pm
Really looking forward to this game singing loud and proud. Plus we got 8 extra with our season ticket offers. Cmon Scarlets 🏉

-------------
west is best.

Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by swissscarlets swissscarlets wrote:

Really looking forward to this game singing loud and proud. Plus we got 8 extra with our season ticket offers. Cmon Scarlets 🏉

Great effort 👏🏻

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 20 January 2022 at 11:51pm
What , about 4500 Season Ticket Holders each entitled to 2 tickets at a pitiful £5 ! That’s say 13000 plus all non season holders and visiting fans- we should be well and truly sold out! If it’s only 8000 that’s is pathetic. How do supporters say “ no mergers” and expect us to survive on this sort of support. So disappointing 

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 3:53am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

What , about 4500 Season Ticket Holders each entitled to 2 tickets at a pitiful £5 ! That’s say 13000 plus all non season holders and visiting fans- we should be well and truly sold out! If it’s only 8000 that’s is pathetic. How do supporters say “ no mergers” and expect us to survive on this sort of support. So disappointing 
With a week or so notice no it’s not pathetic some of us have to travel long distance and have to make arrangements. It’s Drakefords fault no one else his ridiculous restrictions have cost us dear. 

-------------

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 6:41am
hammerings regularly don't help the floating fans.

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 7:01am
I would say that the hangover from Covid will still apply to many households, as of course does isolation, vacc status etc etc.

Premiership football crowds are down on average by 20-25%.

Having said that I can assure all that the players are super excited to have any crowd there...and a 7-8k crowd would actually be a great outcome in my view.

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 7:11am
Glad and good to go for the 1st time in 9 weeks.Not expecting much,but hopeful of a few moments at least.

Posted By: multinational
Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 7:14am
Four extras off my STs.

I'm pretty certain that regardless of how many turn up, the volume will be cranked!

-------------
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 7:16am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

We don’t have 4500 ticket holders.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 8:10am
Posters should be very careful about making accusations such as "fair weather fans etc". Surely, if you care about this great club, the attitude should be one of sharing your great experiences of match days not being hyper critical of people for not attending despite obvious obstacles to attendance.

An attitude of look at me I attend every chance I get so I am a proper supporter is, in my opinion, very counter productive to what we are trying to achieve. Support manifests itself in many ways as one poster who will not be attending has outlined - pays their season ticket every year but only attends when circumstances are favourable to them. 

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 8:24am

Posters should be very careful about making accusations such as "fair weather fans etc". Surely, if you care about this great club, the attitude should be one of sharing your great experiences of match days not being hyper critical of people for not attending despite obvious obstacles to attendance.

An attitude of look at me I attend every chance I get so I am a proper supporter is, in my opinion, very counter productive to what we are trying to achieve. Support manifests itself in many ways as one poster who will not be attending has outlined - pays their season ticket every year but only attends when circumstances are favourable to them. 
Spot on Clap 

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 8:40am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

hammerings regularly don't help the floating fans.

Indeed - but the Scarlets went on a 3-month unbeaten run between 15 October and 16 January, unless you count the 28-0 defeat in the 'match that never was'! Wink

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I would say that the hangover from Covid will still apply to many households, as of course does isolation, vacc status etc etc.

Premiership football crowds are down on average by 20-25%.

Having said that I can assure all that the players are super excited to have any crowd there...and a 7-8k crowd would actually be a great outcome in my view.

I am envious of those who will be able to attend, and hope that everyone who is there has a fantastic time.

Ymlaen, Scarlets!

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 1:30pm
We can’t qualify for anything now can we? If Cardiff have a 0-28 win awarded against Toulouse 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 1:35pm

We can’t qualify for anything now can we? If Cardiff have a 0-28 win awarded against Toulouse 

The way our injury list is heading we'll be lucky to field a team in the URC let alone play in Europe.🤕🤕

-------------
Keep the faith

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 1:37pm

Its unlikely but a 5 point win by 31 points difference gets us above Cardiff. Of course a win of any sort should get us into the Challenge Cup knock out stages.

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 1:39pm

We can't still overtake, Stade, Castres and Wasps . Obviously depending on results .What worries me ,we always have such a long injury list .

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 1:45pm
We might be able to overtake one of Stade/Castres. We won't catch Wasps PD unless Munster hammer them. 
Challenge cup at best.

If we don't get into a KO fixture, we can play the postponed Dragons home game in April instead! 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 1:58pm
I think you both need to re-look. We can pass all 3 if we get a 5 point win. Stade play at home to Connacht & have 2 points currently. Castres play away to Harlequins & have 3 points. Wasps are away to Munster & have 6 points so by my calculations it is still mathematically possible as is passing Cardiff, unlikely but possible. 

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 3:39pm
Cardiff result has all but certainly taken 8th off the table. Win and challenge cup is very like. Castres not likely to beat quins. 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 5:22pm
So if Wasps, Castres, Stade and us all lose (all quite feasible), Cardiff are in the last 16 - hysterical

-------------

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 5:32pm

I haven't shifted any £5 tickets to friends/family which is unusual. I literally can't give them away!!

Covid doesn't help, for sure. I certainly wouldn't judge anyone who was still worried about their own health.

Oddly we have taken everyone we can. If people are still scared of Covid, I doubt they will ever come back imho

-------------

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 5:44pm

Oddly we have taken everyone we can. If people are still scared of Covid, I doubt they will ever come back imho
Nothing to do with Covid. Glad you've shifted a few!

-------------

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 5:52pm
Of course if we beat Bristol by a margin of 31 points or more and score 4 tries, we overtake Cardiff Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 6:02pm

We can't still overtake, Stade, Castres and Wasps . Obviously depending on results .What worries me ,we always have such a long injury list .
Mark i mentioned this on another thread,why do we always have so many injuries?

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 7:04pm

Totally agree Nigel . We have so many players who go from one injury to another . The worry for me, many are quite young .
     When making new signings there injury history , needs to be looked into in great detail.

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 7:11pm

The 28-0 win for Cardiff has been confirmed.

Toulouse intend to appeal, but doubt anything can be done to change the 'result' at such short notice, unless they can change it retrospectively - we didn't get any joy with that.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 7:31pm

Totally agree Nigel . We have so many players who go from one injury to another . The worry for me, many are quite young .
     When making new signings there injury history , needs to be looked into in great detail.

Clap

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 8:12pm
Castres leading Quins 0-13. 2 tries in 10 minutes
In a sold-out Stoop

-------------

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 8:32pm

Castres leading Quins 0-13. 2 tries in 10 minutes
In a sold-out Stoop
Quins comeback in progress. 17-16 now. 3 tries to 2

-------------

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 8:47pm
19-23 now to Castres

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 9:56pm
Castres robbed.

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 9:57pm

Scarlets win it's Challenge Cup Qualification.

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Castres robbed.

Shocking decisions against Castres. Miles forward pass from Smith followed minute later by a clear jackal  by Castre which was penalised.
The worse ref in the URC and Scotland.

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: townboy
Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 10:03pm

Castres robbed.
Agree there Dic…totally robbed there by some very poor officiating 

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by townboy townboy wrote:

Castres robbed.

Gutted for them-fantastic effort.

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 10:08pm

Scarlets win it's Challenge Cup Qualification.
I’d be happy with that. Better than nothing 

-------------

Posted By: Nikostratos
Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Clap

I can see some sense to that, but that means we wouldn't have signed Lamont, Barclay or Beirne.  All had a history of serious injuries before we signed them.   Not signing that kind of player means either only signing players of average ablity or signing fewer players [or having a very wealthy backer/ being in the French league, but that's not a choice our coaches can make].  Fewer players may sound attractive, but that will increase the injury rate as players won't be rested when they have minor grade injuries, the kind that don't stop you playing but tend to be aggravated without time off. 
Not sure what the solution is, or even if there is one, though.  Rugby has become an incredibly attritional game.

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 10:24pm

Castres robbed.
Who was the ref?

Just seen it was Mike Adamson.

I think it would help if people remembered that no referee is perfect. No TMO is perfect, despite the huge technological advantages bestowed upon them. Still many of them manage to grasp an illogical decision despite the sunami of video evidence.

Much as there’s room to criticise referees, some degree of objectivity is called for. 

I’ve not seen the action nor have I much credence for Adamson’s accuracy and matchday presence. 

There are plenty of refs you could say the same thing. Without them, there is no game.

A referee, TMO, etc is perfectly capable of misinterpreting what’s in front of their eyes. IT DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE CORRUPT.

Unless you’ve proof, it’s probably best to keep those thoughts to yourself. 

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Castres robbed.
Who was the ref?
Mike Adamson
Brian MacNeice TMO with the contentious injury time decision

-------------

Posted By: tannerbankboy
Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 11:16pm
As far as all the optimism about the Bristol game goes I fail to see where that comes from.  Our form is on a different planet compared with them.  Yes, they've not had the best of seasons so far but last year this group of players were on fire and only ran out of steam at the knockout stages.  In the meantime we shipped 50 against the Dragons, Sale and Leinster and not far off against Munster.

As for us, we've not won a game of note against TOP opposition in almost 4 years since beating Leinster at home in a league game.

If we end within 20 points of them I'll be pleasantly surprised.  I don't usually post predictions but I can't see anything other than a dismal defeat.  We'd be better off with a COVID 28-0 again.

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 11:27pm

Castres robbed.
Who was the ref?

I think it would help if people remembered that no referee is perfect. No TMO is perfect, despite the huge technological advantages bestowed upon them. Still many of them manage to grasp an illogical decision despite the sunami of video evidence.

Much as there’s room to criticise referees, some degree of objectivity is called for. 

I’ve not seen the action nor have I much credence for Adamson’s accuracy and matchday presence. 

There are plenty of refs you could say the same thing. Without them, there is no game.

A referee, TMO, etc is perfectly capable of misinterpreting what’s in front of their eyes. IT DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE CORRUPT.

Get a grip.Google 'metaphor'.

Date Posted: 21 January 2022 at 11:33pm
There’s always next year. Slim chances of us going through now. 

Date Posted: 22 January 2022 at 1:12am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Strong chance of a Challenge Cup place with a win though which I’d take 

-------------

Date Posted: 22 January 2022 at 8:46am
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

As far as all the optimism about the Bristol game goes I fail to see where that comes from.  Our form is on a different planet compared with them.  Yes, they've not had the best of seasons so far but last year this group of players were on fire and only ran out of steam at the knockout stages.  In the meantime we shipped 50 against the Dragons, Sale and Leinster and not far off against Munster.

As for us, we've not won a game of note against TOP opposition in almost 4 years since beating Leinster at home in a league game.

If we end within 20 points of them I'll be pleasantly surprised.  I don't usually post predictions but I can't see anything other than a dismal defeat.  We'd be better off with a COVID 28-0 again.
Nothing incorrect in what you say, except what is the point of being a fan, spending your money, travelling to the game unless you have a shred of optimism?

-------------

Date Posted: 22 January 2022 at 8:52am
Our season has been one of total turmoil. Bristol, on the other hand, have played consistently in a very competitive league. However at the end of the day it is still 15 v 15 at PYS with a great crowd. I certainly would not be putting my house, or even my polytunnel, on Bristol. This is sport and anything can happen. 

I am just delighted to see my boys in action again. Challenge Cup last 16 is definitely achievable. Nice little trip to Lyon on the cards.!!!!Wink

Date Posted: 22 January 2022 at 9:03am

Our season has been one of total turmoil. Bristol, on the other hand, have played consistently in a very competitive league. However at the end of the day it is still 15 v 15 at PYS with a great crowd. I certainly would not be putting my house, or even my polytunnel, on Bristol. This is sport and anything can happen. 

I am just delighted to see my boys in action again. Challenge Cup last 16 is definitely achievable. Nice little trip to Lyon on the cards.!!!!Wink
I’ve some restaurant recommendations albeit from the European Finals weekend, in 2017, courtesy of a then Lyon resident Montpellier fan.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 January 2022 at 9:07am

Castres robbed.
Who was the ref?

Get a grip.Google 'metaphor'.
Quick clarification, apology and total exoneration for Townboy and Dic P. 

In no way does my rant/lecture apply to them. Their comments are perfectly fine. I’d read others that did mention corrupt etc and it was those that I was addressing.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 January 2022 at 9:09am

Castres robbed.
Who was the ref?
Mike Adamson
It continues to confound me how on earth MacNeice still gets a gig with the video screens.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 January 2022 at 9:12am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Is there? What’s the breakdown on what other results have to do. I reckon a tweet would be handy too. 

Date Posted: 22 January 2022 at 9:18am

I’ve some restaurant recommendations albeit from the European Finals weekend, in 2017, courtesy of a then Lyon resident Montpellier fan.

Keep them handy Steve.Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 22 January 2022 at 9:49am

Castres robbed.
Who was the ref?
Mike Adamson
It continues to confound me how on earth MacNeice still gets a gig with the video screens.
If MacNeice is not corrupt then he is the most incompetent man ever to have a job let alone TMO

-------------

Date Posted: 22 January 2022 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Castres robbed.
Who was the ref?
Mike Adamson
If MacNeice is not corrupt then he is the most incompetent man ever to have a job let alone TMO
In fairness to the TMO,  it was Adamson and the linesman  that missed the forward pass and Adamson himself that penalised the legitimate turnover. I don't think the TMO can come in on these decisions unless called in by the ref.  

-------------
Keep the faith

Date Posted: 22 January 2022 at 11:53am

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Is there? What’s the breakdown on what other results have to do. I reckon a tweet would be handy too. 
If we win we're in the CC. We'll be above Castres.
That part is simple.

If we win with a BP and a +31 point margin, we will overtake Cardiff, which could mean round of 16 in this cup, as long as Wasps get 0 points and Stade don't get 5 points.

So there's an incentive to win. Another European double header against and English/French team or Edinburgh

-------------

Date Posted: 22 January 2022 at 12:38pm
Just seen the Dombrandt winning score. Looked about 99% knock on and BOD was asked to comment on the the TMO’s decision to overrule the ref. He did a relatively nifty sidestep and described it as “brave”.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 January 2022 at 4:14pm

Just seen the Dombrandt winning score. Looked about 99% knock on and BOD was asked to comment on the the TMO’s decision to overrule the ref. He did a relatively nifty sidestep and described it as “brave”.

Nope.

A 'brave' decision is where you take an unpopular view which favours the AWAY team in the last minute.

(I have no view as to whether the call was right, as I haven't seen it.)

-------------

Date Posted: 22 January 2022 at 5:03pm

Just seen it, grounded short, against a boot and then went forward. No try in my opinion.

Date Posted: 22 January 2022 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Nope.

A 'brave' decision is where you take an unpopular view which favours the AWAY team in the last minute.

(I have no view as to whether the call was right, as I haven't seen it.)
Sometimes, it gets to the point where you wonder what kind of parallel or alternative reality that Brian MacNeice inhabits.

Maybe an Irish legend decides that brave is the closest he can get to being recorded live on TV criticising a fellow, maybe ex fellow, employee.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net