Run-in (turned scrum-half assessment)

Printed From: Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets
Category: RUGBY
Forum Name: SCARLETS GENERAL
Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46711
Printed Date: 01 July 2022 at 8:21am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Run-in (turned scrum-half assessment)
Posted By: Mr Lee91
Subject: Run-in (turned scrum-half assessment)
Date Posted: 03 April 2022 at 4:05am
I know I'm being overly optimistic here but looking at the last few rounds of fixtures and finishing as high as 4th is still plausible.
Obviously there are a lot of fixtures and just one going the wrong way would put all this to bed but I can only see one problem game (Glasgow beating Bulls in SA) so I'm quietly hoping for this sequence of results.

SCARLETS 32pts (55pts) - 4th
(A) Cardiff - 5pts
(H) Dragons - 5pts
(A) Dragons - 5pts
(A) Ospreys - 4pts
(H) Stormers - 4pts

EDINBURGH 44pts (54pts) - 5th
(H) Zebre - 5pts
(H) Ulster - 1pt
(H) Glasgow - 4pts

BULLS 42pts (54pts) - 6th
(A) Stormers - 1pt
(H) Benneton - 5pts
(H) Glasgow - 1pt
(A) Ospreys - 5pts

MUNSTER 47pts (53pts) - 7th
(A) Ulster - 1pt
(H) Cardiff - 5pts
(A) Leinster - 0pts

STORMERS 43pts (53pts) - 8th
(H) Bulls - 4pts
(H) Glasgow - 4pts
(H) Leinster - 1pt
(A) Scarlets - 1pt

SHARKS 41pts (52pts) - 9th
(H) Lions - 5pts
(H) Leinster - 0pts
(H) Connacht - 5pts
(A) Ulster - 1pt

-------------
As long as you win it once, you'll never be forgotten

Replies:
Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 03 April 2022 at 5:19am
Well manipulated lol

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 03 April 2022 at 7:08am
I believe that if we do the double next weekend ( which will not be easy given Sione’s red card and the fact that the blues will be hurting badly and will have a point to prove) we will go on and finish as the highest placed welsh region in the league.
Unfortunately I still see us dropping points in the run in, the dragons have a habit of bringing us down to their level (especially at Dave parade), but I do see us beating the stormer sat home and providing that Sione is available, taking the Ospreys all the way at the Liberty stadium.
I would predict we finish with 50 points and finish no higher than 6th (which considering how inconsistent we've been would be some feat), although I would be delighted if we finish any higher.

Posted By: Jones2004
Date Posted: 03 April 2022 at 2:08pm
What I’ve taken away from that is that you’ve been as optimistic as possible (from our POV) in your results for the other teams and yet if we don’t win one game we wouldn’t finish in the top 8. Had we beaten Connaught we could’ve afforded to lose one game in the run in and still been in the top 8. As it is unless we win all our remaining games I can’t see us finishing in the top 8. If we do win all our remaining games I think it’s very likely we’ll finish in the top 8 - I’d need to be a psychic to have any clue where though!

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 03 April 2022 at 3:32pm
Too many close games in there to call. 
8th would be an excellent result given where we've come from. 

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: Rob o'r Bont
Date Posted: 03 April 2022 at 4:14pm
You can't beat a good run-in thread. Smile

If we win all our games, happy days but my expectation is that we will lose a few.  Given how things have gone, I think a successful season will now be measured in whether we end up being the Top Welsh Region (TWR for short) or not, thus opening the way to next years European competition.

I think the Ospreys will be our biggest challengers to being TWR and they could well win all four of their remaining matches including the one against us, giving them anything between 46 and 50 points total.

So we need to win four of the last five games (2 with BPs) to be sure of being TWR unless someone does us a favour and beats the Ospreys.  Alternatively, if we beat the Ospreys, we will get away with being TWR by only winning another 2 games.

Have I set the ambition bar to low for us? If this was my prediction at the start of the season I would say yes,  but given the season that we have had, I think the team will do well to win 3 of the next 5 games.

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: Endeavour
Date Posted: 03 April 2022 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Too many close games in there to call. 
8th would be an excellent result given where we've come from. 
completely agree. As you said so many tight games. But feels like there's hope.

-------------
Strenuis Ardua Cedunt

Posted By: Sosban89
Date Posted: 03 April 2022 at 5:25pm
All I care about is finishing with some good matches, and to get the top Welsh spot so we are in Europe. If we can finish with some momentum it'll be a great way to cap Dwayne's first season. 

Posted By: Devonscarlet
Date Posted: 04 April 2022 at 7:44am
The game against the O's at the Liberty a couple of seasons back where we were playing for qualification in the champions cup was a great experience. The result wasn't what we wanted but the scarlets support was incredible as was the coach journey. We may not be competing at the top this season but there's certainly plenty of interest for the run in. It would be great to get a good following to the Swansea.com again on the 30th April. We know the team really responds to the atmosphere created by our supporters and we don't get too many occasions to take large numbers away so fingers crossed for another good away support and of course a better result this time around. 

A good run in can erase short term memories of a stop start season, just in time for season ticket renewals. 

-------------
DevonScarlet

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 04 April 2022 at 12:04pm
I really hope the massive gap in between our last 2 matches doesn't hamper us at all.

Posted By: ChrisX
Date Posted: 04 April 2022 at 12:24pm
We have been to South Africa (twice) Ireland etc done. We don't need to leave Wales now, with our biggest travel Newport, Cardiff, Swansea. 

We MUST back up Saturdays performance and result at the Arms Park. Must. If we can then Champions Cup qualification and top Welsh side is in our hands. We have 2 games in hand on Connacht, could do with Sharks dropping some points, they have to play Leinster and Ulster. 

ALL TO PLAY FOR. Come on Scarlets!

Posted By: scarletsrules
Date Posted: 04 April 2022 at 12:49pm
Getting into the top 8 from where we were after losing at home to Connacht will be a great achievement , im confident we can continue where we left off against Cardiff this weekend, i would say this weekend is the toughest game of our run in but on the same hand Ospreys have had some notable results at the Swansea.com so that could prove quite difficult , we should have good travelling support to motivate the team at our last 2 away games

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 04 April 2022 at 1:07pm
Whilst I was very pleased with our form against Cardiff I do not share the confidence of others that we can go to Cardiff & Swansea & win. Consistency of effort & performance is clearly what Dwayne seeks but he may have to suffer further setbacks before that becomes attainable.

What a great season ending game it would be if the winner of the Stormers v Scarlet game was guaranteed a top 8 spot. That could be our only full house of the season. 

Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 04 April 2022 at 1:17pm
tend to agree with GPR, 2 good results but can we perform away at our local rivals. we have not done for for many years now. 
it can also come down to injuries and bans. how bad is scotts injury and Kalamafonis possible ban?  2 massive players there for us.

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!

Posted By: dyniol53
Date Posted: 04 April 2022 at 1:28pm
I think it’s pretty important that we finish above the 4th placed Irish and South African sides.

We haven’t had a great season it’s a new low if all 4 welsh regions finish in the bottom 7

-------------
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en

Posted By: London Scarlet
Date Posted: 07 April 2022 at 8:15pm
URC statmaster thinks we are well placed for a good finish  https://www.unitedrugby.com/latest/analysis-opinion/play-off-probs" rel="nofollow - https://www.unitedrugby.com/latest/analysis-opinion/play-off-probs

Date Posted: 07 April 2022 at 8:23pm
Still a huge ask to make top 8 and the current chance they give us, 38%, is reasonable.
It's just nice to have something to aim for.
Well 2 things, top Welsh and top 8

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 08 April 2022 at 11:18am
Top of Welsh Shield, Champions Cup qualification and Top 8 - id be more than happy with that given this stop start season. 

Date Posted: 10 April 2022 at 9:30am
It remains a huge ask to get top 8 but we are in with a fighting chance. 7 games to go a few ago I noted 35 points up for grabs. 3 matches in 15 banked. We must look to do what most other teams in this league have done over the next two weeks and secure another 10 points which will then make it very tasty. All the sides above us have played one more game which will be next weeks game against Dragons - win that with bonus point & the table will after 15 games look like :-

4th Munster 47 points
5th Stormers 47 points
6th Sharks 46 points
7th Edinburgh 44 points
8th Bulls 43 points
9th Scarlets 42 points. 

Sharks & Stormers face Leinster at home with Sharks having Ulster away & of course Stormers face us at PYS. Munster face a tough run in - Ulster & Leinster away with Cardiff home.

I have factored in my guesstimates with us getting 5, 5, 4, 4 points from our remaining fixtures & my prediction is :-

4th Bulls 56 points
5th Scarlets 55 points
6th Munster 54 points
7th Edinburgh 54 points
8th Sharks 53 points. 

Wouldn't it be an amazing finale at PYS if we managed to get 5 points away to Ospreys & knowing that a final 5 pointer at home to the Stormers would get us 4th & a home quarter final. We can but dream bois bach. Wink

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 10 April 2022 at 11:54am
No derby slip ups now and our destiny should be in our own hands for a playoff place come the Stormers game.

Run-In2022

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2021

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 10 April 2022 at 1:06pm
Nice to have a bit of momentum. Two bonus point wins against a terrible Dragons team isn’t out of the question. I don’t think we’ll beat the Ospreys.

Date Posted: 10 April 2022 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Nice to have a bit of momentum. Two bonus point wins against a terrible Dragons team isn’t out of the question. I don’t think we’ll beat the Ospreys.
Quite possibly we could beat the Stormers last game though. The SA teams haven't travelled well so far.

But 8th is still a very tall order I think. 

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 10 April 2022 at 1:43pm

Quite possibly we could beat the Stormers last game though. The SA teams haven't travelled well so far.

But 8th is still a very tall order I think. 

It’s that ironic time of the season when we want teams we usually love seeing lose to win their games. 😂

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 10 April 2022 at 2:22pm

If you watched the Dragons last night you would not have called them terrible.  They have been aggressive in defence all season and their pack has a top Welsh international 2nd row and the back row as good as any of the Regions.
They have been close in many of their games but LIKE US have had a number of thumpings this season.  They are a  tight knit group and won't have any fear coming to the Parc to test our very leaky defence.

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: lofty evans
Date Posted: 10 April 2022 at 3:07pm
Two good wins can ramp up confidence and belief.  When the Scarlets tick its like winding up an old faithful clock, you look forward to the half hour chimes and the hour bells. Stuff digital...the only thing stopping the side marching towards the end of the season is the man with the wind up key....exciting at last.

-------------
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Posted By: alec_d
Date Posted: 10 April 2022 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

[QUOTE=SA14]Nice to have a bit of momentum. Two bonus point wins against a terrible Dragons team isn’t out of the question. I don’t think we’ll beat the Ospreys.

If you watched the Dragons last night you would not have called them terrible.  They have been aggressive in defence all season and their pack has a top Welsh international 2nd row and the back row as good as any of the Regions.
They have been close in many of their games but LIKE US have had a number of thumpings this season.  They are a  tight knit group and won't have any fear coming to the Parc to test our very leaky defence.
[/QUOTE. 
Agree the dragons won't be easy,but from what I saw ,I don't think it was a full strength Gloucester team at all, dragons really struggled with driving lineouts, hopefully we'll have blade and lezana available,can't see Wyn Jones being fit unfortunately 

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 10 April 2022 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by alec_d alec_d wrote:

[QUOTE=SA14]Nice to have a bit of momentum. Two bonus point wins against a terrible Dragons team isn’t out of the question. I don’t think we’ll beat the Ospreys.

[/QUOTE. 
Agree the dragons won't be easy,but from what I saw ,I don't think it was a full strength Gloucester team at all, dragons really struggled with driving lineouts, hopefully we'll have blade and lezana available,can't see Wyn Jones being fit unfortunately 

If we can dominate them at scrum time and with our driving maul then that should go some way to nullifying their back row. 

Date Posted: 10 April 2022 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by alec_d alec_d wrote:

[/QUOTE. 
Hope so. Unfortunately a number of people I know have had Covid recently and been quite poorly. 

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 10 April 2022 at 3:49pm
I think Edinburgh could win their last three matches. I’ll take it one game at a time a decent run of games and performances will bode well into next years campaign. 

Posted By: Dai Guevara
Date Posted: 10 April 2022 at 4:24pm
Blade has been playing well recently, but Shingler made a huge difference yesterday and choosing between them will give Peel a real dilemma of the sort he won't mind at all. I'd start with Shingler and have Blade on the bench, when both are available. Not keen on Shingler in the second row from the start.
Last night the Dragons' rush defence stopped Gloucester from any fluent multi-phase attacks until late on. In the past we have also found this very disruptive and hopefully we will be planning and practising to overcome it in the week ahead.

Date Posted: 10 April 2022 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

I think Edinburgh could win their last three matches. I’ll take it one game at a time a decent run of games and performances will bode well into next years campaign. 
Yes, that's how I feel about our remaining games. For many reasons, not least Covid, we never really got to build on the successful team that Pivac brought us, but hopefully we can put all that behind us and a good run in will give us some optimism for next season. 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 April 2022 at 6:35pm

The knives be out just as quick as the praises if the Dragons beat us. 

Date Posted: 10 April 2022 at 9:15pm

"Knives be out" is probably an exaggeration but yeah, we're a fickle bunch alright. For me, it's only knives out if we capitulate. Like Cardiff did at the end yesterday.

The Dragons have a knack of catching us out, and we have a habit of under-estimating them. If we bring our A game we should have way too much for them.

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 10 April 2022 at 9:40pm
Having the Dragons at home first is helpful. If we can put in a solid performance and secure a win ( as we did v Cardiff at PyS) it can provoke the Dragons management to make notable changes to the team for the return fixture, as Dai Young did.

We look like we will miss Jonny Mac and Wyn for the run in, which is a shame as they are both starters, but we've seen plenty of the squad this season, plus Sanjay will be a sure fit for the 15 shirt, and Rob Evs can come in to the 23.

Date Posted: 10 April 2022 at 9:48pm
Do we know when Blade and Lezana tested positive and are either likely back in training early this week?

Date Posted: 10 April 2022 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Having the Dragons at home first is helpful. If we can put in a solid performance and secure a win ( as we did v Cardiff at PyS) it can provoke the Dragons management to make notable changes to the team for the return fixture, as Dai Young did.

We look like we will miss Jonny Mac and Wyn for the run in, which is a shame as they are both starters, but we've seen plenty of the squad this season, plus Sanjay will be a sure fit for the 15 shirt, and Rob Evs can come in to the 23.
Sanjay, Tom, Conbeer, Baldwin, Joe, Steff. 
We have a rather pleasing line of backup for JMac right now. 
Steff, Kemsley - is Rob fit? at LH.

We've got the ingredients to beat the Drags as long as we get the best out of them.

The Os are an interesting challenge. We'd have to think we'll be in a better place than them, they have no games until they play us, do they?

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: Jones2004
Date Posted: 10 April 2022 at 10:29pm

Let’s hope his discipline will have improved then. A bit like Liam if he’s playing well there’s few players you’d rather have in the team, yet when he’s playing badly you want to tear your hair out in disgust at some of the stupid stuff he does. Hopefully his comeback will be similar to how Liam played yesterday (going by the comments on here as I only managed to catch the highlights of the tries). 

Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 11 April 2022 at 12:20am

The Os are an interesting challenge. We'd have to think we'll be in a better place than them, they have no games until they play us, do they?
They play Cardiff away before us 

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2021

Date Posted: 11 April 2022 at 11:17am
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Oh yeah!
My son and his mates are going to that, so I should have remembered!

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 11 April 2022 at 11:36am
We should hammer the dragons twice tbh. Ospreys a tougher ask but they are dreadful in attack, hopefully north fit for us he is a handful. But i fancy us to edge them out on current form, a fully loaded stormers look a bit much for us but you never know!

Date Posted: 11 April 2022 at 11:55am

Oh yeah!

I hope you've kicked him out and disinherited him. There's only so much that you can forgive and put down as being down to impetuous youth.

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 11 April 2022 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Mr Lee91 Mr Lee91 wrote:

I know I'm being overly optimistic here but looking at the last few rounds of fixtures and finishing as high as 4th is still plausible.
Obviously there are a lot of fixtures and just one going the wrong way would put all this to bed but I can only see one problem game (Glasgow beating Bulls in SA) so I'm quietly hoping for this sequence of results.

SCARLETS 32pts (55pts) - 4th
(A) Cardiff - 5pts
(H) Dragons - 5pts
(A) Dragons - 5pts
(A) Ospreys - 4pts
(H) Stormers - 4pts

EDINBURGH 44pts (54pts) - 5th
(H) Zebre - 5pts
(H) Ulster - 1pt
(H) Glasgow - 4pts

BULLS 42pts (54pts) - 6th
(A) Stormers - 1pt
(H) Benneton - 5pts
(H) Glasgow - 1pt
(A) Ospreys - 5pts

MUNSTER 47pts (53pts) - 7th
(A) Ulster - 1pt
(H) Cardiff - 5pts
(A) Leinster - 0pts

STORMERS 43pts (53pts) - 8th
(H) Bulls - 4pts
(H) Glasgow - 4pts
(H) Leinster - 1pt
(A) Scarlets - 1pt

SHARKS 41pts (52pts) - 9th
(H) Lions - 5pts
(H) Leinster - 0pts
(H) Connacht - 5pts
(A) Ulster - 1pt

I did some similar work yesterday and 4th is possible as long as results go the way they could/should. 8th would give us Leinster away, 4th could be Edinburgh home. Big difference,

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Date Posted: 11 April 2022 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by ChrisX ChrisX wrote:

Do we know when Blade and Lezana tested positive and are either likely back in training early this week?
Ah I see, didnt realise it was a Covid thing, thought it was just rotation.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 April 2022 at 1:04pm

No derby slip ups now and our destiny should be in our own hands for a playoff place come the Stormers game.

Run-In2022

Fingers crossed Sharks dont get those 2 one pointers (which I think they will do well to get tbh)

-------------

Posted By: surfing-mtber
Date Posted: 11 April 2022 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Originally posted by ChrisX ChrisX wrote:

Ah I see, didnt realise it was a Covid thing, thought it was just rotation.
Think Morgan Jones has the lurgi too!

-------------
Joshua24:15

Posted By: tannerbankboy
Date Posted: 11 April 2022 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Let’s hope his discipline will have improved then. A bit like Liam if he’s playing well there’s few players you’d rather have in the team, yet when he’s playing badly you want to tear your hair out in disgust at some of the stupid stuff he does. Hopefully his comeback will be similar to how Liam played yesterday (going by the comments on here as I only managed to catch the highlights of the tries). 

On the URC website it shows Sione as our most penalised player with 14 penalties.  Given he's been ever present and a back row player, who tend to get pinged more, that's no surprise.  Next on 13 is Rob Evs.  Unbelievable given the amount of game time he's had.  Our other props average 8/9.

Discipline was excellent on Saturday, one stat on screen in the second half showed the penalty count at 13-5 to Cardiff.  We need to keep it that way given that Sam Davies can kick from anywhere.

Date Posted: 11 April 2022 at 2:30pm

"Knives be out" is probably an exaggeration but yeah, we're a fickle bunch alright. For me, it's only knives out if we capitulate. Like Cardiff did at the end yesterday.

The Dragons have a knack of catching us out, and we have a habit of under-estimating them. If we bring our A game we should have way too much for them.
the dragons have one league game all season lets be honest they are rubbish. 

Date Posted: 11 April 2022 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Oh yeah!

I hope you've kicked him out and disinherited him. There's only so much that you can forgive and put down as being down to impetuous youth.
He's a Cardiff boy now, CCFC ST holder. They're going because one of there Gand is an Os supporter, hopefully to rip the pish out of him!!

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 11 April 2022 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

On the URC website it shows Sione as our most penalised player with 14 penalties.  Given he's been ever present and a back row player, who tend to get pinged more, that's no surprise.  Next on 13 is Rob Evs.  Unbelievable given the amount of game time he's had.  Our other props average 8/9.

Discipline was excellent on Saturday, one stat on screen in the second half showed the penalty count at 13-5 to Cardiff.  We need to keep it that way given that Sam Davies can kick from anywhere.
They need to do those stats on a per minute played basis.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 April 2022 at 11:57am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

the dragons have one league game all season lets be honest they are rubbish. 

Yep. On paper they should be two relatively easy wins. But hope the team have a good mindset and not get complacent. Dragons have caught us out a few times. The last two matches we’ve upped our game in the second half. Usually we let games slip away so that’s good to see. 

Date Posted: 23 April 2022 at 5:34pm
Where’s does today leave us?

Games vs Os away and Stormers home , with us 3 points behind the Sharks 

Sharks have Leinster now, then Connacht at home and then to Ulster last game.

So hoping they lose to Leinster and Ulster realistically and we somehow get 10 points from our 2

-------------

Date Posted: 23 April 2022 at 5:46pm
Start with Levinster needing to nil Stormers tonight. Stormers are realistically the only team we can catch ( they are 8th).

If they do, we have 2 play on 43 points ( O’s away and Sharks at home) and they have 2 to play ( Connacht home and Ulster away).

Date Posted: 23 April 2022 at 6:02pm

Start with Levinster needing to nil Stormers tonight. Stormers are realistically the only team we can catch ( they are 8th).

If they do, we have 2 play on 43 points ( O’s away and Sharks at home) and they have 2 to play ( Connacht home and Ulster away).

Celebrating the win? Swap Sharks & Stormers and it makes sense. 

-------------

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 23 April 2022 at 6:12pm
Finishing as the top Welsh team and securing Champions Cup rugby will do me for this season.  I don’t think we’re strong enough to make a splash in the playoffs at the moment. 

Hopefully Cardiff will do us a favour and beat the Ospreys now. 

Date Posted: 23 April 2022 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Celebrating the win? Swap Sharks & Stormers and it makes sense. 

Yep.

My bad

Leinster need to beat the SHARKS ( not the Stormers).and we have the Stormers at home not the Skarks

Sharks are realistically the only team we can catch,

A weakened Leinster winning 14-20;after 44 mins.

Date Posted: 23 April 2022 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

Finishing as the top Welsh team and securing Champions Cup rugby will do me for this season.  I don’t think we’re strong enough to make a splash in the playoffs at the moment. 

Hopefully Cardiff will do us a favour and beat the Ospreys now. 
Thats my thinking also.

Ospreys have 20 points to play for and we have 10 with 13 points head start on them. In other words, it's in the Ospreys hands not ours. If Cardiff beat them today it will be a big help.

PS - not strictly in the Os hands cos it's in our hands to beat them next up.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 April 2022 at 6:50pm
The Sharks have their try bonus point and look like they’re going to beat Leinster.

They’re about to have a try chalked off for a forward pass but the debate is still going on.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 April 2022 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

The Sharks have their try bonus point and look like they’re going to beat Leinster.

They’re about to have a try chalked off for a forward pass but the debate is still going on.

Leinster didn’t send any of their internationals to South Africa. Dismaying really.

Date Posted: 23 April 2022 at 7:12pm
Leinster nearly snatched a win at the end but were held out by the Sharks, who probably should’ve scored a few more tries.

Funnily enough, Premier Sports 2 did have a post match studio discussion.

Discriminatory

-------------

Date Posted: 23 April 2022 at 7:21pm
Mathematically we can still qualify, two wins is not negotiable of course.

Effectively the game against the Ospreys will go a long way to deciding who tops the Welsh shield.

Posted By: Tony Clifton
Date Posted: 23 April 2022 at 8:18pm
The home losses to Connaught and Dragons have made it a tougher challenge, goes without saying. We can beat the Ospreys, shown enough spirit the last few weeks to do it. Hopefully a few boys back from injury. Stormers will be a task.

Date Posted: 23 April 2022 at 8:31pm
It's highly unlikely after today's results ,but mathematically we can catch the Bulls, Edinburgh or Glasgow. 
  • Bulls have Glasgow home and Os away
  • Edinburgh have Ulster at home and then Glasgow at home
  • Glasgow have Bulls away and Edinburgh Away.

It's not unthinkable that Glasgow don't win another and end up on 50-52

We need 10 points.

As I said, highly unlikely. Cry

Top Welsh side?
Only Ospreys can catch us, 9 points behind. They have 3 home games left - Us, Dragons, Bulls. They are 9 points behind us. 
If we beat them next week, we're pretty much safe, we'll be at least 12 points ahead.

I can't see us beating Stormers given current form of both teams

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 23 April 2022 at 9:03pm
Its Glasgow we need to keep an eye on, 50 points but have Bulls away next before Edinburgh away. Hopefully they wont get another point, we then need 2 wins to qualify, last weeks dubious Whitehouse show may have cost us a top 8 spot. 

Date Posted: 23 April 2022 at 9:29pm
To be honest, we're nowhere close to being a KO team at the moment. An away QF to Leinster at the Aviva is probably not what we need.

I'd take it, of course I would!

-------------
We're still still here!

Posted By: ScarletBear
Date Posted: 23 April 2022 at 9:34pm
Still enough rugby to play. Not sure where teams will end up, Glasgow and Edin play each other too, so both cant pull away from us. Hopefully no draws and TBPs in those matches.

To be honest, its less about the other teams, but more can we get our @@@@ together. If I was a betting man, most probable results would be 2 losses.

-------------
Scarlets before Wales

Posted By: N14
Date Posted: 23 April 2022 at 10:13pm
Obviously if we were to somehow finish in 8th place, we go to Leinster and give it our best shot. However my only real concern is to finish top Welsh region now. It's doable but won't be easy, a huge performance is needed next week against the Ospreys to cement our place.

Date Posted: 24 April 2022 at 7:57am

It's highly unlikely after today's results ,but mathematically we can catch the Bulls, Edinburgh or Glasgow. 
  • Bulls have Glasgow home and Os away
  • Edinburgh have Ulster at home and then Glasgow at home
  • Glasgow have Bulls away and Edinburgh Away.

It's not unthinkable that Glasgow don't win another and end up on 50-52

We need 10 points.

As I said, highly unlikely. Cry

Top Welsh side?
Only Ospreys can catch us, 9 points behind. They have 3 home games left - Us, Dragons, Bulls. They are 9 points behind us. 
If we beat them next week, we're pretty much safe, we'll be at least 12 points ahead.

I can't see us beating Stormers given current form of both teams

That sums it up nicely Wasp. Suddenly the Scottish sides are looking vulnerable. Not closing out last week will probably cost us. Frankly Leinster sending a weakened squad out to South Africa leaves a bad taste & should not please the URC leadership. 

Posted By: crj89
Date Posted: 24 April 2022 at 10:26am
Big Ifs on the permutations but if we draw with Ospreys and finish level on points, does our win earlier in the season come into play?

Date Posted: 24 April 2022 at 11:08am

To be honest, we're nowhere close to being a KO team at the moment. An away QF to Leinster at the Aviva is probably not what we need.

True that. We haven’t exactly been playing top quality teams. Nice to have momentum though and knock out games are a different animal.  

Date Posted: 24 April 2022 at 4:11pm

True that. We haven’t exactly been playing top quality teams. Nice to have momentum though and knock out games are a different animal.  
No. The Welsh teams are all poor to mediocre at the moment. Any team with ambition should be blowing them away.

Having said that, we have had 3 BP wins from 4 and still scored 4 tries in our loss Cool

If we click and blow the Os away next week, I may have to re-evaluate!

-------------
We're still still here!

Date Posted: 26 April 2022 at 9:15am
Just looking at this from a top Welsh Region perspective....

Scarlets on 43
Ospreys (A)
Stormers (H)

Ospreys on 34
Scarlets (H)
Dragons (H)
Bulls (H)

So many permeations possible but if we beat the Os on Saturday they can't catch us up and we will be the top Welsh Region.

If we get 1 point from our two remaining games, Os will need to win all three remaining games to be above us.

If we don't get any point from our remaining games then Os will need 2 BP wins or three non BP wins to be above us.

You would think that puts us in a nice place but I'm not sure. Lets see if we can put this to bed on Saturday and enjoy the last game of the season in the sun against the Stormers.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 April 2022 at 10:11am
I famcy us this weekend. Tbh 9th place out of 14 is a pretty poor season for us. Granted the sa trip was a huge issue for us, the ospreys pack will be an issue but if we match them up front they offer nothing behind , apart from webb dummy close to the line that somehow keeps working!

Posted By: Mr Lee91
Date Posted: 26 April 2022 at 10:44am
I’m quietly confident of winning the Welsh shield and making the playoffs with 7th being the best possible result.

Looking at the fixtures the Stormers and one of Glasgow/Edinburgh are there to be taken (so long as Leinster field a real side v Stormers)

EDINBURGH 53pts - Ulster (H) 0pts, Glasgow (H) 4pts
SCARLETS 52pts - Ospreys (A) 5pts, Stormers (H) 4pts
STORMERS 52pts - Leinster (H) 0pts, Scarlets (A) 0pts
GLASGOW  51pts - Bulls (A) 0pts, Edinburgh (A) 1pt

Leinster will top the table and I’m thinking Sharks will finish 2nd(all depending on Stormers/Leinster) so a trip to SA against the Sharks is on the cards and I believe we could win that based on our first game against them and our progress since.
I may be wrong but I think that would give us a home semifinal, I’m not saying we’ll win the URC trophy but there’s reasons to still be optimistic.

-------------
As long as you win it once, you'll never be forgotten

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 26 April 2022 at 10:48am

I famcy us this weekend. Tbh 9th place out of 14 is a pretty poor season for us. Granted the sa trip was a huge issue for us, the ospreys pack will be an issue but if we match them up front they offer nothing behind , apart from webb dummy close to the line that somehow keeps working!
parity in the the scrum is indeed vital  for this game  🙏

-------------
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook

Date Posted: 26 April 2022 at 10:49am

I’m quietly confident of winning the Welsh shield and making the playoffs with 7th being the best possible result.

Looking at the fixtures the Stormers and one of Glasgow/Edinburgh are there to be taken (so long as Leinster field a real side v Stormers)

Leinster will top the table and I’m thinking Sharks will finish 2nd(all depending on Stormers/Leinster) so a trip to SA against the Sharks is on the cards and I believe we could win that based on our first game against them and our progress since.
I may be wrong but I think that would give us a home semifinal, I’m not saying we’ll win the URC trophy but there’s reasons to still be optimistic.

I would share your optimism but Leinster do not have their first team in South Africa so they will be under strength against an improving Stormers team. If any teams look vulnerable its the Scottish teams.

Posted By: scarletsrules
Date Posted: 26 April 2022 at 10:50am
That home loss against the dragons is looking evenmore costly now, if it wasnt for that loss we could be playing the last 2 games to break into the top 4 and secure a home QF!

If we can just get into the last game against the Stormers with a chance of progressing to the top 8 hopefully we can have a decent crowd

Date Posted: 26 April 2022 at 10:52am

Its 9th from 16 RR but I take your point. Frankly losing at home to Connacht & Dragons has cost us a top 6 finish. Orders continues to push Webb for a recall to Wales and also lists him as one of 6 Welsh players of the season - the guy is priceless. Looking forward ( hopefully) to Cawdor putting him in his place on Saturday. 

Date Posted: 26 April 2022 at 10:54am
The stormers look a right handful, that should be a good game to watch

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 26 April 2022 at 10:58am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Its 9th from 16 RR but I take your point. Frankly losing at home to Connacht & Dragons has cost us a top 6 finish. Orders continues to push Webb for a recall to Wales and also lists him as one of 6 Welsh players of the season - the guy is priceless. Looking forward ( hopefully) to Cawdor putting him in his place on Saturday. 

Yet what they fail to mention every time is that Webb wasn't interested in being part of the squad if he wasn't 100% certain to play. Webb could have learnt from Adam Beards example (when Pivac dropped him & told him what to work on) but Webb said "I'm happy with my game."

Date Posted: 26 April 2022 at 11:02am
Webb is on a par with wales other 9s. Orders has him on a par with dupont it’s weird!Ouch

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 26 April 2022 at 1:18pm

Webb is on a par with wales other 9s. Orders has him on a par with dupont it’s weird!Ouch
Would have Webb third after Cawdor and Hardy thought Tomos was real deal but has been poor this season.
Cawdor and Hardy have ability to change a game with a piece of brilliance Tomos never seems to do so. 

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 26 April 2022 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Would have Webb third after Cawdor and Hardy thought Tomos was real deal but has been poor this season.
Cawdor and Hardy have ability to change a game with a piece of brilliance Tomos never seems to do so. 

I'm with you on that Why. I would pick Rhodri Williams ahead of Tomos. 

Posted By: jimmywilde
Date Posted: 26 April 2022 at 3:22pm

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping you are correct but I just can't see it myself.

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 26 April 2022 at 3:49pm

ConfusedConfused

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 26 April 2022 at 5:15pm

Webb was VERY lucky not to get at least a YC on saturday - could even have been red by the letter of the law. Lack of consistency again...

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Date Posted: 26 April 2022 at 6:00pm
Webb is a good tactical 9, although when you're in a team playing 9 man rugby, that's exactly what they need. He's sharp and sees space and opposition weakness quickly but as long as we don't make too many dangerous mistakes in covering and do not provide any juicy interceptions he shouldn't make too much of an impact.

Date Posted: 26 April 2022 at 8:09pm
Anyone remember the Alan Partridge episode when his stalker had a roomful of Alan posters and life size dummies? That’s mark orders and the ospreys. Andy Howell had Nobel piece price articles compared to Orders rubbish. 

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 26 April 2022 at 8:27pm

Anyone remember the Alan Partridge episode when his stalker had a roomful of Alan posters and life size dummies? That’s mark orders and the ospreys. Andy Howell had Nobel piece price articles compared to Orders rubbish. 

Very true.Then there's Gareth Rhys Owen,who wears a ginger wig to bed and fills his house up with dummies of Patchell...

Date Posted: 26 April 2022 at 9:04pm

Did Tomos Williams run over your cat? 😅

I love all 3 scarlets 9s but I’m still happy to admit Tomos is more complete pass, kick, speed of ball. Only tackling and defence is where he gets shown up but has been improving there

-------------

Date Posted: 26 April 2022 at 9:09pm
Tomos Williams is a turn style in defence , good with ball in hamd though. Aled davies playing really well for sarries imo the form welsh 9 this season (60 cap law rules him out)

Date Posted: 26 April 2022 at 9:11pm

I famcy us this weekend. Tbh 9th place out of 14 is a pretty poor season for us. Granted the sa trip was a huge issue for us

Frankly losing at home to Connacht & Dragons has cost us a top 6 finish. 

Very much so - both games we couldve won without silly errors.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 April 2022 at 10:24pm
Yes should have beaten both Connacht and Dragons at home, even with Bonus points, feel we maybe could have had something from Ulster away to had they seen early red!!

Date Posted: 27 April 2022 at 7:24am
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

I love all 3 scarlets 9s but I’m still happy to admit Tomos is more complete pass, kick, speed of ball. Only tackling and defence is where he gets shown up but has been improving there

My cat could tackle better than Tomos for sure. I have never quite got the hype surrounding Tomos. Yes he can play quite competently in games but usually there is a mistake lurking not far away - usually in defence. I am stunned by Pivac's continual selection of him ahead of Cawdor who for me is the most dangerous 9 we have in Wales. 

Date Posted: 27 April 2022 at 8:02am

My cat could tackle better than Tomos for sure. I have never quite got the hype surrounding Tomos. Yes he can play quite competently in games but usually there is a mistake lurking not far away - usually in defence. I am stunned by Pivac's continual selection of him ahead of Cawdor who for me is the most dangerous 9 we have in Wales. 
For me when a player can turn the game with a piece of opportunism like Cawdor and Kieran that is invaluable. Yes they both have mistakes but have that spark and have to be watched closely at all times thus leaving gaps for others to exploit.
I can’t think of one game for Wales or Cardiff that Tomos has changed with a piece of magic. Tomos is a very very good player but no match winner.  

-------------

Date Posted: 27 April 2022 at 8:06am

For me when a player can turn the game with a piece of opportunism like Cawdor and Kieran that is invaluable. Yes they both have mistakes but have that spark and have to be watched closely at all times thus leaving gaps for others to exploit.
I can’t think of one game for Wales or Cardiff that Tomos has changed with a piece of magic. Tomos is a very very good player but no match winner.  

That sums it up Why. Cawdor is a match turner/winner & his defensive work where his fantastic fitness allows him to blitz the tail of lineout area & the 10/12 channel can cause mayhem. I hope we use him that way against the Ospreys because their 10/12 link is not the smoothest. 

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 27 April 2022 at 8:17am

I’ve tried biting my tongue on this but this is getting cringeworthy now. Tomos isn’t perfect by any means he has mistakes in him but for a poster on here to claim Kieran Hardy is a more dangerous attacking player is plain wrong. Tomos is probably one of the most naturally gifted number nines in Britain and Ireland. He’s a tremendous athlete and is by far the best attacking nine Wales have, including an ageing Cawdor. Go back and watch his performance against Saracens lately, and the tries he created and scored. He’s got serious X factor going forward, and his ceiling is significantly higher than the other number number nines in Wales. Granted he needs to improve his game management and defence but he’s Wales’ best option at the moment. He’s rightly Wales’ first choice scrum-half

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 27 April 2022 at 8:30am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

I’ve tried biting my tongue on this but this is getting cringeworthy now. Tomos isn’t perfect by any means he has mistakes in him but for a poster on here to claim Kieran Hardy is a more dangerous attacking player is plain wrong. Tomos is probably one of the most naturally gifted number nines in Britain and Ireland. He’s a tremendous athlete and is by far the best attacking nine Wales have, including an ageing Cawdor. Go back and watch his performance against Saracens lately, and the tries he created and scored. He’s got serious X factor going forward, and his ceiling is significantly higher than the other number number nines in Wales. Granted he needs to improve his game management and defence but he’s Wales’ best option at the moment. He’s rightly Wales’ first choice scrum-half
I wouldn’t go as far as Rhodri but internationally Tomos has done little for Wales and has been poor this year. I can’t remember one time he made a break. His passing and kicking is better than Cawdor but he does not have the X factor 

-------------

Date Posted: 27 April 2022 at 8:46am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

We are all aware that you are a fully signed up member of the Tomos appreciation society Steff even going as far as to suggest that he was nailed on for the Lions. Well fortunately Gatland didn't share your views. The best Welsh 9 actually was chosen to tour. Unfortunately for Tomos and Cardiff rugby is not always a game for going forward - sometimes you have to go backwards and defend. i have never disputed that he is a good footballer/athlete but to describe him as the most naturally gifted 9 in Great Britain & ireland is, for me, way off the mark. He didn't make the last Lions tour and if a squad was being selected today he would be miles away as, of course, would most of his fellow Cardiff squad members. 

Date Posted: 27 April 2022 at 8:46am
It’s a no from Simon Cowell for Tomos 👎

-------------

Date Posted: 27 April 2022 at 8:52am

even going as far as to suggest that he was nailed on for the Lions. Well fortunately Gatland didn't share your views…He didn't make the last Lions tour and if a squad was being selected today he would be miles away as, of course, would most of his fellow Cardiff squad members. 

9 remained a problem position all tour with eventually Ali Price getting the nod over Cawdor. 

If there was a tour today you’d expect Gibson Park to be pulling the strings, with Tomos coming off the bench imo. AFAIK he didn’t tour because he hadn’t played many games last year, not because Gatland didn’t rate him. 

I thought Tomos vs England and Sarries the other day showed how dangerous he can be 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net