Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 4:48pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Team versus Ulster
Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Subject: Team versus Ulster
Date Posted: 19 September 2022 at 9:23am
My selection for next week :-

15. Nicholas 14. Rogers 13. Baldwin 12. JBR 11. Conbeer 10. Costelow 9. Hardy
1. Wyn 2. Ryan (C) 3. Javan 4. Jac Price/Morgan Jones 5. Sam 6. Fifita 7. McLoud 8. Sione

16. Daf 17. Steffan  18. Harri 19. Morgan/Tom Price 20. Blade 21. Blacker 22. Patchell 23. Scott

Replies:
Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 19 September 2022 at 9:27am
Do we then toss a coin for the captaincy?

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 19 September 2022 at 9:28am
Sorry just saw the "c" alongside Ryan.

-------------
Keep the faith

Date Posted: 19 September 2022 at 9:30am
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Sorry just saw the "c" alongside Ryan.

Yes Ryan to captain for me with Daf replacing him if he comes on. 

Posted By: scarletnut
Date Posted: 19 September 2022 at 9:31am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

1. Wyn 2. Ryan (C) 3. Javan 4. Jac Price/Morgan Jones 5. Sam 6. Fifita 7. McLoud 8. Sione

16. Daf 17. Steffan  18. Harri 19. Morgan/Tom Price 20. Blade 21. Blacker 22. Patchell 23. Scott
Rogers has to be full back 

-------------
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1

Date Posted: 19 September 2022 at 9:57am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

I agree Steff when I think again. Perhaps Steff Evans could step in at 14. My selection was clouded a little by my desire to see Baldwin given a chance at 13. 

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 19 September 2022 at 10:28am
15 rogers
14 baldwin
13 foxy
12 jonny
11 conbeer
10 cistello
9 hardy
1 wyn
2 daf
3 harri
4 tom p
5 lousi
6 fifita
7 josh
8 sioni

Steff, ryan, javon, jac/morgan, blade, cawdor, patch, eddie j

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Posted By: Mr Lee91
Date Posted: 19 September 2022 at 1:57pm
15 Rogers 14 Baldwin 11 Conbeer
12 JBR 13 Foxy
9 Cawdor 10 Costelow 

1 Wyn 2 Hughes 3 O’Connor
4 M Jones 5 Lousi
6 Fifita 7 Macleod 8 Kalamafoni

16 Elias 17 Thomas 18 Javan 19 T Price 20 Blade 21 Hardy 22 Patchell 23 Scott

It’s week 2 and we’re already looking stretched with back 5 forwards, we need some good news here with Jac Price, Rawlins, Shingler, Davis, Tuipolotu out & potentially Lezana. Really need at least 2 if not 3 of those back now.

Some players didn’t cover themselves in glory this weekend but it was most of their first games so a small amount of slack can be given.
I see us defending for a lot of the game v Ulster so I can’t see too many changes other than injuries. I’d imagine both Wyn & O’Connor moving to the starting XV with Elias not being 100% stepping onto the bench.

-------------
As long as you win it once, you'll never be forgotten

Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 8:41am
I think the injury to McNicholl has highlighted a squad weakness which I hope we are working on addressing for next season. Most on here seem to agree that Rogers is more suited to 15 than wing so if we do the right thing & select him at 15 we are left with a compromise to make elsewhere. Sadly Steff Evans does not possess the top end pace a winger should ideally have so we are left with Baldwin who has done nothing wrong when asked to play there previously.

However in the absence of Joe Roberts, Baldwin is the natural choice at 13 with Foxy sadly not looking as if he is going to re-capture his glory days. Therein lies our compromise. The omens are not great for Halfpenny returning to Lions form any time soon so we really do need to invest in an out and out winger leaving Rogers as our first choice 15 with McNicholl as his replacement & Nicholas next inline. 

Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 8:57am
Ok the following Ulster players are in the emerging Ireland party which is attending a 3 day training block at the moment ahead of flying out to South Africa this weekend. They will therefore not be available against the Scarlets. 

Balacoune*, Doak*, Flannery, McDonald, McIlroy, Stewart Moore* - Backs
Izuchukwa**, Reid**, Stewart* - Forwards

* started against Connacht

** bench against Connacht. 

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 9:34am
Do we know what is wrong with Scott Williams?

Posted By: supertaf
Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 9:45am

I agree Steff when I think again. Perhaps Steff Evans could step in at 14. My selection was clouded a little by my desire to see Baldwin given a chance at 13. 

Agree. I dont understand why there is a reluctance to play Baldwin at 13. He has played there rarely but always effectively. 

-------------
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872

Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 9:49am

I think the injury to McNicholl has highlighted a squad weakness which I hope we are working on addressing for next season. Most on here seem to agree that Rogers is more suited to 15 than wing so if we do the right thing & select him at 15 we are left with a compromise to make elsewhere. Sadly Steff Evans does not possess the top end pace a winger should ideally have so we are left with Baldwin who has done nothing wrong when asked to play there previously.

However in the absence of Joe Roberts, Baldwin is the natural choice at 13 with Foxy sadly not looking as if he is going to re-capture his glory days. Therein lies our compromise. The omens are not great for Halfpenny returning to Lions form any time soon so we really do need to invest in an out and out winger leaving Rogers as our first choice 15 with McNicholl as his replacement & Nicholas next inline. 
The weaknesses caused by us releasing a hat full of players with no one obviously brought in to replace them. E.g Tomi Lewis is now playing really well for Jersey. Lets hope he comes back like Hardy did. He was our next big thing before injury, then discarded. Fully appreciate budgets etc but to use a retail analogy, we still need stock on the shelves to create sales.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Mr Lee91 Mr Lee91 wrote:

15 Rogers 14 Baldwin 11 Conbeer
12 JBR 13 Foxy
9 Cawdor 10 Costelow 

1 Wyn 2 Hughes 3 O’Connor
4 M Jones 5 Lousi
6 Fifita 7 Macleod 8 Kalamafoni

16 Elias 17 Thomas 18 Javan 19 T Price 20 Blade 21 Hardy 22 Patchell 23 Scott

It’s week 2 and we’re already looking stretched with back 5 forwards, we need some good news here with Jac Price, Rawlins, Shingler, Davis, Tuipolotu out & potentially Lezana. Really need at least 2 if not 3 of those back now.

Some players didn’t cover themselves in glory this weekend but it was most of their first games so a small amount of slack can be given.
I see us defending for a lot of the game v Ulster so I can’t see too many changes other than injuries. I’d imagine both Wyn & O’Connor moving to the starting XV with Elias not being 100% stepping onto the bench.
Yet we still didnt consider Will Boyde or Sam Lewis on 1 year deals. Rawlins isnt even in the equation for me, Dan is also sadly very injury prone and Shingler has suffered some awful problems in the last 2 years so he cant have a huge amount in the tank.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 9:54am
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

The weaknesses caused by us releasing a hat full of players with no one obviously brought in to replace them. E.g Tomi Lewis is now playing really well for Jersey. Lets hope he comes back like Hardy did. He was our next big thing before injury, then discarded. Fully appreciate budgets etc but to use a retail analogy, we still need stock on the shelves to create sales.

Tough choices for sure had to be made. It will take Dwayne another full season to get the squad balance, which he inherited, somewhere near to what he needs/wants. I didn't see much of Tomi Lewis I have to say but others have commented. Would his ability outweigh Steff Evans for instance. That was a call made by Dwayne. I am surprised that a player like Jonah Holmes was allowed to leave Welsh rugby. Whenever we played the Dragons he was a real handful. 

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 10:02am

Agree. I dont understand why there is a reluctance to play Baldwin at 13. He has played there rarely but always effectively. 

I doubt there's a reluctance to play Baldwin at 13,really.
The reason he and others don't get a chance is the same reason the blue headed seagull didn't get booked on Saturday.The same reason Bilko's mate,the 36 years young Doberman who's not played since we were hammered against Leinster,can still get on the front page of the Rugby Paper.The same reason Rogers will soon have to play 2nd fiddle at 15 to the most photographed absentee in Wales........a  côterie of  older players have too much power and influence in tbe game,and Gatsby is one of them.

Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 10:04am

Tough choices for sure had to be made. It will take Dwayne another full season to get the squad balance, which he inherited, somewhere near to what he needs/wants. I didn't see much of Tomi Lewis I have to say but others have commented. Would his ability outweigh Steff Evans for instance. That was a call made by Dwayne. I am surprised that a player like Jonah Holmes was allowed to leave Welsh rugby. Whenever we played the Dragons he was a real handful. 
Agree about Jonah, should never have left really but who know what actually went on behind the scenes. For Tomi, big and genuinely fast, something we havent had for a while. Had lots of promise, scored 2 for Jersey last weekend.

-------------

Posted By: Scrletsfan32x
Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 10:19am
15 Patchell 14 Tom 13 Baldwin 12 JBW 11 Ryan 10 Sam 9 hardy
1 Wyn 2 Ryan 3 Javan 4 Fifita 5 Sam L (C) 6 Blade 7 Josh 8 Kal.

16 Daf 17 Steff 18 Harri 19 Morgan Jones 20 Jac Price 21 Cawdor 22 Foxy 23 Nicholas

My reasons for picking Rhys at 15 are simple, Steff Evz doesn’t cut it for me and either kicks the ball away needlessly or makes silly mistakes that results in pens or yellow cards. I’ve gone for Corey over Foxy as he needs a run at 13. Kieran over Cawdor just because he is much gives a much quicker service.
Forwards pretty much pick themselves and for the bench I’ve put Foxy as I don’t know how bad Scott’s injury is, I’ve put Ioan to cover wing/FB as Patchell can cover 10z

Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 10:22am
Wouldn't the squad look better with Doel and O'Brian in it now?

Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

I really can’t understand why we released Angus.

Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Scrletsfan32x Scrletsfan32x wrote:

16 Daf 17 Steff 18 Harri 19 Morgan Jones 20 Jac Price 21 Cawdor 22 Foxy 23 Nicholas

My reasons for picking Rhys at 15 are simple, Steff Evz doesn’t cut it for me and either kicks the ball away needlessly or makes silly mistakes that results in pens or yellow cards. I’ve gone for Corey over Foxy as he needs a run at 13. Kieran over Cawdor just because he is much gives a much quicker service.
Forwards pretty much pick themselves and for the bench I’ve put Foxy as I don’t know how bad Scott’s injury is, I’ve put Ioan to cover wing/FB as Patchell can cover 10z

I think your logic is spot on .Ironic,though,that Patch left Cardiff cos he didn't want to be shifted to full back

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 10:24am

Obviously I don't know the ins & outs but it could well be that he wanted to move so he could get more game time.

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 10:32am

He was way down the pecking order at 10 & 15, and wasn’t selected much last season. He started for the Dragons last weekend. It would’ve been nice to keep him as a backup, but that was the right move for him. 

Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 10:44am

Tough choices for sure had to be made. It will take Dwayne another full season to get the squad balance, which he inherited, somewhere near to what he needs/wants. I didn't see much of Tomi Lewis I have to say but others have commented. Would his ability outweigh Steff Evans for instance. That was a call made by Dwayne.
For Tomi, big and genuinely fast, something we havent had for a while. Had lots of promise, scored 2 for Jersey last weekend.
Tomi Lewis is fast and has decent agility, but is very weak in contact. I expect the club concluded that no amount of weights would bring him up to the required strength level. 

Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

Tough choices for sure had to be made. It will take Dwayne another full season to get the squad balance, which he inherited, somewhere near to what he needs/wants. I didn't see much of Tomi Lewis I have to say but others have commented. Would his ability outweigh Steff Evans for instance. That was a call made by Dwayne.
For Tomi, big and genuinely fast, something we havent had for a while. Had lots of promise, scored 2 for Jersey last weekend.
Tomi Lewis is fast and has decent agility, but is very weak in contact. I expect the club concluded that no amount of weights would bring him up to the required strength level. 

......and if you favour strength in contact ahead of speed and agility,what you end up with is a squad full of centres with no pace out wide.That's flawed logic that betrays a lack of respect for positional play.Probably fits in with the politics though.

Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 10:53am

I think your logic is spot on .Ironic,though,that Patch left Cardiff cos he didn't want to be shifted to full back
Yeah I agree, it was interesting reading Dwayne’s comments that he picked Sam and Dan on merit and that Patchell wasn’t injured. I could be reading into it too much.

Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 10:57am

Yeah I agree, it was interesting reading Dwayne’s comments that he picked Sam and Dan on merit and that Patchell wasn’t injured. I could be reading into it too much.

Patch at his best had some great attributes,but lacked speed off the mark,which Sam has in abundance.Patch is no longer the player he was either,I reckon.

Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 10:59am

...if you favour strength in contact ahead of speed and agility,what you end up with is a squad full of centres with no pace out wide.That's flawed logic that betrays a lack of respect for positional play.Probably fits in with the politics though.
Rogers has speed and agility. He’s also strong in contact. Lewis isn’t. His upsides are outweighed by his downsides. 

There isn’t much space on a rugby field and players who get rag dolled in contact don’t make it to the top level no matter how fast they are. 

Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 11:20am

...if you favour strength in contact ahead of speed and agility,what you end up with is a squad full of centres with no pace out wide.That's flawed logic that betrays a lack of respect for positional play.Probably fits in with the politics though.
Rogers has speed and agility. He’s also strong in contact. Lewis isn’t. His upsides are outweighed by his downsides. 

There isn’t much space on a rugby field and players who get rag dolled in contact don’t make it to the top level no matter how fast they are. 

Bit of a one-dimensional view of the game,there.As much as the Bokke,for example,love the physical stuff,Kolbe could never be thought of as a product of the thinking you outline.I thought Scarlet rugby was about avoiding contact,creating space,and having the speed to take advantage of it.Even the Italians have cottoned on to that-their very own rag doll won the game for them in Cardiff.

Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 11:53am

Bit of a one-dimensional view of the game,there.As much as the Bokke,for example,love the physical stuff,Kolbe could never be thought of as a product of the thinking you outline.I thought Scarlet rugby was about avoiding contact,creating space,and having the speed to take advantage of it.Even the Italians have cottoned on to that-their very own rag doll won the game for them in Cardiff.

Boys I think we are all more or less saying the same things here. Pace is non negotiable particularly at 11, 13, 14 & 15. I totally get Scarletsfan's idea of playing Patchell at 15 which solves my dilemma of wanting to play Baldwin at 13 but means we are not playing our best 15 at 15. Patchell has many excellent attributes at 15 with a booming kicking game and top end pace ( at least he used to before all these setbacks). 

As for the discussion around O'Brien, Doel & Tomi I would imagine Doel would be ahead of Tomi whose defensive frailty was a worry. For me I would have selected O'Brien ahead of Dan Jones everytime but clearly Dwayne didn't agree. Time & injuries are catching up with a large part of our squad so I would get prepared to see a lot of players leaving this season - Foxy, Halfpenny, Ken, Phil Price, Rawlins & Sione. 

Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 12:25pm

Kolbe is a little powerhouse. He is plenty strong enough for top level rugby. 

Nearly all wings try and avoid contact, and love to run in space. Contact is inevitable though and he has to be strong enough to retain possession, remain on his feet until support arrives, not get driven back so that we can get front-foot ball for the next phase, make his tackles, be an effective bridge at a ruck to keep possession etc. I don’t see him as being strong enough to do those things, and a flashy break every few matches isn’t enough to compensate for that.  

Lewis looks like a specialist 7s player to me. Good luck to him at Jersey, and I hope he proves me wrong. I can’t see it happening though. 

Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 12:49pm

......and if you favour strength in contact ahead of speed and agility,what you end up with is a squad full of centres with no pace out wide.That's flawed logic that betrays a lack of respect for positional play.Probably fits in with the politics though.

Which is almost what we have. Its been years since we had proper scarlet speed merchants out wide. Setting the specs for a position is why Wales have props who cant prop but are good in the loose......

-------------

Posted By: Tony Clifton
Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 4:15pm
Wouldn’t mind trying to tempt Iwan Stephens over from Newcastle!

Posted By: Realwest
Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 5:59pm
Hasn’t Iwan Stephens just signed a new contract basically showing his intention to play for England (even though he will still be eligible for Wales)

Posted By: crj89
Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 7:05pm
It’ll be much of the same squad I’d imagine, rotation on the starting line up and subs.

Corey Baldwin in for the injured Jonny McNicholl, Wyn Jones in for Steff Thomas, possibly Daf Hughes in for Ryan Elias, Kieran Hardy in for Gareth Davies, Josh Macleod in for Tomas Lezana.

1. Wyn Jones 2. Dafydd Hughes 3. Jevan Sebastian 4. Vaea Fifita 5. Sam Lousi 6. Blade Thomson 7. Josh Macleod 8. Sione Kalamafoni 9. Kieran Hardy 10. Sam Costelow 11. Ryan Conbeer 12. Jonny Williams 13. Jonathan Davies 14. Corey Baldwin 15. Tom Rogers

16. Ryan Elias 17. Steff Thomas 18. Harri O’Connor 19. Tom Price 20. Iestyn Rees or Shaun Evans 21. Gareth Davies 22. Rhys Patchell 23. Ioan Nicholas

Posted By: Oracle
Date Posted: 21 September 2022 at 8:26pm
We would have won if Ellia's and Davies had not started...iwould have brought them of the bench 
Only positive was Webb was terrible... nothing against the guy,  I just can't stand mark orders

Date Posted: 22 September 2022 at 2:11am
Originally posted by Realwest Realwest wrote:

Hasn’t Iwan Stephens just signed a new contract basically showing his intention to play for England (even though he will still be eligible for Wales)
Yes, two years and he’s played for England U20. I can dream though!

Date Posted: 22 September 2022 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Post on 606 Post on 606 wrote:

Ulster have nine players away with the Emerging Ireland but have Nick Timoney, Mike Lowry, Kieran Treadwell, Tom O’Toole, Rob Herring, John Cooney and Andrew Warwick all available for selection. Should be a good game.

Will be a tough game but if we can build on how we played in the second half on Saturday we could win this one.

Date Posted: 22 September 2022 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Ulster have nine players away with the Emerging Ireland but have Nick Timoney, Mike Lowry, Kieran Treadwell, Tom O’Toole, Rob Herring, John Cooney and Andrew Warwick all available for selection. Should be a good game.

Will be a tough game but if we can build on how we played in the second half on Saturday we could win this one.

Think the emerging Ireland issue is a red herring in all honesty (see what I did there). Of the 9 players for me only Doak & Balacoune are what I would consider top 23 players. Ulster will be a formidable team & with their attacking prowess we will get a good idea of how much progress our defence has made. If we start like we did last weekend and play that poorly for 40 minutes the game will be over. 

Play like we did from the start of the 2nd half for 80 minutes, take points when they are on offer, be disciplined and we can certainly win it. However that set of points would see us beat everyone in this league so consistency in performance has to be our aim & that bar was set at last weekend's 2nd half - tempo & attacking intent. 

Posted By: Dai Guevara
Date Posted: 22 September 2022 at 10:29am
A few weeks back we gave a trial to 3 Fijians? who were in the UK with the military. One of them was a wing. Did anything become of this?
I used to be a big fan of Steff Evans but the game has become a lot more physical and competitive, and pretty much every opposition coach is familiar with his defensive frailties as well as his lack of outright pace. Now I find myself looking through the whole of our squad, academy, and our feeder clubs for an alternative, or at least, give an opportunity to, but, so far without success.

Date Posted: 22 September 2022 at 10:32am

Think the emerging Ireland issue is a red herring in all honesty (see what I did there). Of the 9 players for me only Doak & Balacoune are what I would consider top 23 players. Ulster will be a formidable team & with their attacking prowess we will get a good idea of how much progress our defence has made. If we start like we did last weekend and play that poorly for 40 minutes the game will be over. 

Play like we did from the start of the 2nd half for 80 minutes, take points when they are on offer, be disciplined and we can certainly win it. However that set of points would see us beat everyone in this league so consistency in performance has to be our aim & that bar was set at last weekend's 2nd half - tempo & attacking intent. 

Ulster are never easy to play against, agreed but I do think if we can maintain the level of defence we had against the Ospreys, there is no reason to think we can't win this.

Posted By: ChrisX
Date Posted: 22 September 2022 at 11:16am

[QUOTE=Post on 606]Ulster have nine players away with the Emerging Ireland but have Nick Timoney, Mike Lowry, Kieran Treadwell, Tom O’Toole, Rob Herring, John Cooney and Andrew Warwick all available for selection. Should be a good game.

Ulster also without Iain Henderson and James Hume. 

Posted By: Realwest
Date Posted: 22 September 2022 at 11:44am
This will be a tough one stopping McCloskey ,it will be a job for Jonny Williams but our boy runs and tackles hard 

Date Posted: 22 September 2022 at 11:48am
I can see this being a defining game...I can see us winning by 15 -20....

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 22 September 2022 at 12:34pm
Wyn josh and hardy all to start for me

Date Posted: 22 September 2022 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Wyn josh and hardy all to start for me

Agreed, as good as Lezana is he doesn't offer enough over the ball.

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 22 September 2022 at 12:57pm

The start cost us dear against our noisy  neighbours. Passionless and error count first half was a worry. A full 80 minutes would have brought us a comfortable win and if we do that Saturday? We will be fine! 

Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 22 September 2022 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

A few weeks back we gave a trial to 3 Fijians? who were in the UK with the military. One of them was a wing. Did anything become of this?
I used to be a big fan of Steff Evans but the game has become a lot more physical and competitive, and pretty much every opposition coach is familiar with his defensive frailties as well as his lack of outright pace. Now I find myself looking through the whole of our squad, academy, and our feeder clubs for an alternative, or at least, give an opportunity to, but, so far without success.
They’re still in training, at least I think 2 are. Wing and Flanker 

-------------
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh

Date Posted: 22 September 2022 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Diolch. So there's still a possibility we may have another wing and flanker to choose from before long.

Date Posted: 22 September 2022 at 11:21pm

Diolch. So there's still a possibility we may have another wing and flanker to choose from before long.
let’s hope then for a couple of below the radar signings- but you might also expect them to turn out for the Rfc perhaps by now, if they are good enough to trial for the region? 🤔

Posted By: scarletpimp
Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 1:20am

GPR has nailed it, when he speaks of consistency.
This is something that has bedevilled Scarlets performances in recent years.
No side can be expected to be full and produce peak performances, all of the time.
What we should expect though, is an 80min performance, more regularly, particularly at home.
It's easy to say, but we must cut our errors, and defend well.
There were good signs against the sprays, but this needs to continue.

Ulster are a good side, who generally do the basics well.
They are far more consistent than we are & are also more expansive than they used to be
Belfast is a very hard place to win now, but away from there, they are far from invincible.
It will be a hard game, but if Scarlets play well, we can win!

-------------
I stood yer on tanner bank

Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 10:37am
The fact that Dwayne Peel is so familiar with Ulster's strengths and weaknesses should also be a big help in developing a successful game plan. However we have a record of poor starts, where our poor defence has given us a much harder task later on when the opposition can let us take most of the risks in trying to catch up, and at times take further advantage. Let's make sure that our defence is primed from the start and aware that mistakes and lack of concentration early on will affect future selection, even for the captain.

Posted By: Mr Ian
Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 12:03pm
15 Ioan Nicholas; 14 Corey Baldwin,13 Jonathan Davies (capt), 12 Johnny Williams, 11 Ryan Conbeer; 10 Sam Costelow, 9 Gareth Davies; 1 Steff Thomas, 2 Ryan Elias, 3 Javan Sebastian, 4 Vaea Fifita, 5 Sam Lousi, 6 Blade Thomson, 7 Josh Macleod, 8 Sione Kalamafoni.

Reps: 16 Daf Hughes, 17 Sam O’Connor, 18 Harri O’Connor, 19 Tom Price, 20 Luca Giannini, 21 Kieran Hardy, 22 Dan Jones, 23 Rhys Patchell.

Some interesting news in the team, but I think all depends from long list injuries we have....will be a really hard and difficoult match..come on boys

Posted By: ynysddurfc
Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 12:07pm
Lack of cover for centre/wings. Is Wyn injured? What's the background with Luca Giannini? 

Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 12:15pm

(15-9): Michael Lowry, Aaron Sexton, Luke Marshall, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, John Cooney;

(1-8): Andy Warwick, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor (Captain), Kieran Treadwell, Matty Rea, Marcus Rea, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: Declan Moore, Eric O’Sullivan, Tom O’Toole, Sam Carter, Sean Reffell, Dave Shanahan, Angus Curtis, Craig Gilroy.

Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 12:17pm
Our wafer thin resources/injury list at back three & back row being highlighted by the 2nd game of the season. Good luck lads. 

Posted By: shocker
Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 12:24pm
Huge  amount of injuries already after only 1 game is worrying,
What's going on? Good to see youngsters given a chance but all coming on together maybe a problem. Maybe would been better to mix some youngsters in the starting 15 and have some experience  on bench 

Posted By: Seagultaf
Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

15 Ioan Nicholas; 14 Corey Baldwin,13 Jonathan Davies (capt), 12 Johnny Williams, 11 Ryan Conbeer; 10 Sam Costelow, 9 Gareth Davies; 1 Steff Thomas, 2 Ryan Elias, 3 Javan Sebastian, 4 Vaea Fifita, 5 Sam Lousi, 6 Blade Thomson, 7 Josh Macleod, 8 Sione Kalamafoni.

Reps: 16 Daf Hughes, 17 Sam O’Connor, 18 Harri O’Connor, 19 Tom Price, 20 Luca Giannini, 21 Kieran Hardy, 22 Dan Jones, 23 Rhys Patchell.

Some interesting news in the team, but I think all depends from long list injuries we have....will be a really hard and difficoult match..come on boys

Anyone know if Tom Rogers and Wyn Jones are injured?

Posted By: N14
Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 12:44pm
Disappointing for Hardy not to be rewarded for a superior performance on Saturday.
Foxy’s selection at centre will be excused by the injury situation, but I doubt it would’ve been any different regardless of injuries.
Inexperienced bench (in the pack, at least) - I think our squad is looking really thin.
Nevertheless, good luck to the boys tomorrow - would be lovely to get a win.

Posted By: ChrisX
Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 12:45pm
Good to see Josh start at 7. Hopefully keep those turnovers coming. 

Ioan Nicholas was solid in the games he played at 15 last season, but is Tom Rogers injured? 

We owe Ulster one or even two, remember last few games over there, Treadwell controversy, Gilroy, high hit on Rogers, home TMO and probably so much more...

Its their first visit to Llanelli for a while too? 

Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 12:59pm
Is a great opportunity for some of the home grown players to cement their places in the team... hopefully they take it

Posted By: Kentexile
Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 1:16pm
Rogers apparently picked up a hamstring injury in training

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by ChrisX ChrisX wrote:

Good to see Josh start at 7. Hopefully keep those turnovers coming. 

Ioan Nicholas was solid in the games he played at 15 last season, but is Tom Rogers injured? 

We owe Ulster one or even two, remember last few games over there, Treadwell controversy, Gilroy, high hit on Rogers, home TMO and probably so much more...

Its their first visit to Llanelli for a while too? 
Chris, maybe it’s time to add a signature to your profile.

How does”The Master of Understatement” sound?

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 2:19pm
Chickens well and truly coming home to roost.
Change needed to senior management.

Posted By: EJPT
Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 2:36pm
Stockdale is back firing for them and will be a handful 

Posted By: 157cb
Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 2:48pm

Best of luck Scarlets!!!

Eighteen players on injury list and only third game of the season, worrying. 

Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Seagultaf Seagultaf wrote:

Having two 10’s on bench is ridiculous although it’s the full back cover no doubt. Meanwhile surplus to requirements centre Steff Hughes does his TV punditry .How low Patch has fallen down the line as well. It was a big decision to offer him even a one year contract it seems. 

Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Having two 10’s on bench is ridiculous although it’s the full back cover no doubt. Meanwhile surplus to requirements centre Steff Hughes does his TV punditry .How low Patch has fallen down the line as well. It was a big decision to offer him even a one year contract it seems. 

Well Reesy we have Roberts, Rogers, McNicholl, Scott injured apparently - think Patchell is a good choice in the circumstances. Injury to 15 Patchell covers, injury to winger - Nicholas to wing patch to 15, injury to centre Baldwin to 13 and as above. 

Posted By: N14
Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 3:37pm

Did Hughes never pick up a contract elsewhere?

Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 3:46pm
Lots of players available when the english league go down to 2 teams... we should be out there looking now

Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 3:48pm
What’s up with lezana? He is injured more than he is fit.  Our bench looks a bit weak tbh. If sione gets injured we are right in the mire. 

Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 3:53pm

Patchell has a decent amount of experience at 15. He may have been our bench 10 if another Back 3 player was available. 

Quite a few centres found themselves scrambling around for a contract after being released at the end of last season. It would be good if we could get Steff involved with the RFC at least until a pro club picks him up. 

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 4:06pm
Congratulations to Sam O'Connor- his first appearance in a Scarlets matchday 23?  In a competitive game at least. And a big day for the family if both brothers get on the pitch. 

Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 4:32pm
This will be a very tough match given who we’re missing and who they’re starting. Any sort of win here would be a great result. 

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 4:42pm
It's our 2nd league match and we have 18 players out is that bad luck(If so we are the unluckiest team in the universe)poor recruitment (players with poor injury records)or the fact that welsh regions have such small squads due to a lack of support from the union?whatever it is it does **** all to inspire people to go and support welsh regional rugby which undergoing a slow painfull death but once again I ask why do the scarlets get so many injuries? In the 92/93 season we more or less had the same core players throughout the season

Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 4:50pm
Again we miss the chance of playing Fifita at 6 where he has the potential to do most damage and leave heavyweights like Wyn Jones, Jac Price and Morgan Jones out of the squad altogether, although none are recorded injured. And this while we have two very young props on the bench.
I suspect Dwayne is trying to put together a fast, mobile pack Hopefully this will not result in endless penalties given away in the tight and more lineout losses. I say "hopefully" because I'm not entirely confident

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 4:52pm
A couple of injuries away from taking a very weak side to Italy next week. If we get two injuries in back row and back three we are knackered. The planning by Dwayne over the summer questionable at best. 

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 5:26pm
Ben Raivalitia, selected in Llanelli xv for tomorrow, is one of the pacific players were we talking about last weeks?
Hope he s good enough cause of we need more back 3 players at the moment

Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

A couple of injuries away from taking a very weak side to Italy next week. If we get two injuries in back row and back three we are knackered. The planning by Dwayne over the summer questionable at best. 
He could have 10 years to plan but if there’s no money he can’t bring anyone in and that’s even if someone was available.

We had 2 back 3 injuries this week and a back row injury. No one plans on losing 3 players a week.

-------------

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 6:24pm

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

He could have 10 years to plan but if there’s no money he can’t bring anyone in and that’s even if someone was available.

We had 2 back 3 injuries this week and a back row injury. No one plans on losing 3 players a week.
Yes there have been long term injuries and it appears these haven’t been taken into consideration especially back row 

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 7:04pm
I'm sorry but if a guy is injured after one game he isn't going to make it ...we have way to many players who are quick enough to call in sick , but then be ready to show how great their  life on social media ....it paisses me off ....there is no other profession that would allow it ....man up for f*** sake 

Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 7:12pm
Like the rfc squad, hopeful 1 or 2 will be on show in the coming weeks. 

Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by crj89 crj89 wrote:

I’m surprised to see Shenton in their lineup. I thought he’d dislocated a shoulder in the Bristol friendly did to the way he was holding his arm. 

The RFC squad does look a bit stronger this season with the addition of a few Academy players. 

Posted By: scarletsbeno1
Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 7:25pm

Ben Raivalitia, selected in Llanelli xv for tomorrow, is one of the pacific players were we talking about last weeks?
He is indeed. He’s in the army. He’s on Instagram ben_raivalitia 

Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 7:34pm
Fingers crossed

Date Posted: 23 September 2022 at 11:46pm
Any idea how bad Tom’s hammy is? Back three was already thin, now it’s down to barebones.

Date Posted: 24 September 2022 at 1:19am

I’m surprised to see Shenton in their lineup. I thought he’d dislocated a shoulder in the Bristol friendly did to the way he was holding his arm. 

The RFC squad does look a bit stronger this season with the addition of a few Academy players. 
Harri Williams, Josh Phillips, Eddie James, Iestyn Gwilliam & Jac Davies starting.
Lewis Morgan, Caleb Salmon & Tal Rees on bench.
Plus Shaun Evans, Jac Price & Iwan Shenton.

We’re providing 11 of the 23, don’t think I’ve missed anyone, potentially Ben Williams? Is he the same Ben Williams that left O’s because they didn’t want him playing for Cardiff Met.

Just seen Iestyn Rees is starting at 8 for Drovers tomorrow.
Does this mean 18 year old Luca Giannini is better than him?

-------------

Date Posted: 24 September 2022 at 7:34am

Harri Williams, Josh Phillips, Eddie James, Iestyn Gwilliam & Jac Davies starting.
Lewis Morgan, Caleb Salmon & Tal Rees on bench.
Plus Shaun Evans, Jac Price & Iwan Shenton.

We’re providing 11 of the 23, don’t think I’ve missed anyone, potentially Ben Williams? Is he the same Ben Williams that left O’s because they didn’t want him playing for Cardiff Met.

Just seen Iestyn Rees is starting at 8 for Drovers tomorrow.
Does this mean 18 year old Luca Giannini is better than him?

Good to see Shaun Evans, Eddie James & Jac Price getting involved. Certainly Shaun & Jac had small ops in the summer so they are getting back to full fitness to bolster the ranks in coming weeks. Anybody know whats happening with Morgan Jones?

Date Posted: 24 September 2022 at 8:36am
Originally posted by scarletsbeno1 scarletsbeno1 wrote:

Navy

-------------

Date Posted: 24 September 2022 at 8:48am

Navy
oufff don’t mix those two upWink

Date Posted: 24 September 2022 at 9:00am
Hopefully see big performances from Elias and the two Davies’s this week, all 3 disappointing last week but are Welsh Internationals who will know that last week wasn’t up to scratch. 

Posted By: Legendinmybathroom
Date Posted: 24 September 2022 at 10:07am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Navy
oufff don’t mix those two upWink

let’s hope that we’ve got the right Ben raivalitia (Jnr not Snr).

Date Posted: 24 September 2022 at 10:07am
Our back 3..

-------------

Posted By: lofty evans
Date Posted: 24 September 2022 at 11:37am
Ulster we owe them a good battering....let the pigeons off the hook last week....we need to up our game to take them on up front ....im confident 

-------------
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net