Forum Description: Other rugby chat
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46960
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 7:21pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Turkeys and xmas
Posted By: Oracle
Subject: Turkeys and xmas
Date Posted: 30 October 2022 at 6:15pm
So the junior clubs didn't vote to bring the game into the 21st century ...Another self serving decision by the nobodies of Welsh rugby ....They should all hang their heads in shame , the self serving vermin Angry

Replies:
Posted By: gaffer
Date Posted: 30 October 2022 at 6:42pm
It's much more important that Aberflyarf RFC from Division 9 East keeps its representative on the board so he can fly the world and stay in 5* hotels at no cost in his WRU blazer. Standing up for the rights of the local clubs against the bully-boy regions. Sovrenty innit. Something like that anyway...

-------------
What's going on?

Date Posted: 30 October 2022 at 7:39pm
Thats it in a nut shell

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 30 October 2022 at 7:55pm
I assume it was an open vote or was it secret? Surely it would be documented.The journalists need to prepare a list and do a phone calls to gather their responses on the voting.This is important information 

Date Posted: 30 October 2022 at 7:59pm
What i have seen is that roughly 69% voted for it...75% for a proposal to be passed is a ridiculous percentage ....unbelievable 

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 30 October 2022 at 8:25pm
Isnt the welsh rugby constitution based on some archaic communist or marxist blueprint? Or did I dream that up lol Don get me wrong its vital to feed the grass roots, but the tail is wagging the dog here and the grass roots is feeding itself by wasting their finding by paying pub players a fortune and running out of cash to run their junior sides

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Posted By: bydder
Date Posted: 30 October 2022 at 8:28pm
http://twitter.com/simonrug/status/1586737468874924033" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/simonrug/status/1586737468874924033
Link for Simon Thomas on twitter with results. 65.6% out of 221 votes voted for.

-------------
N11

Posted By: scarletpimp
Date Posted: 31 October 2022 at 12:33am
That is dreadful, shameful news, talk about the tail wagging the dog.
Typical WRU. What hope is there?

The same small clubs voted out Gareth Davies, when he wanted to make serious but unpopular decisions
like reducing the number of clubs in the premiership.
This would have concentrated better players in a smaller division which would probably increase the standards and reduce the gap between the premiership and region.

What is agreed ..and INCREASED division, its laughable! LOL

We will never get anywhere in Wales the way things are run.
Edward 1st knew how to conquer Wales. Divide and conquer. The Welsh could never agree & work together.

-------------
I stood yer on tanner bank

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 31 October 2022 at 5:09am
Needed 10 delegates to change their vote and it would have passed.

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 31 October 2022 at 2:21pm
It’s all down to money, everyone wants more of it the schools the grass roots the pro game thr womens game the test team.  This will never get resolved

Date Posted: 31 October 2022 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

So the junior clubs didn't vote to bring the game into the 21st century ...Another self serving decision by the nobodies of Welsh rugby ....They should all hang their heads in shame , the self serving vermin Angry
in fairness most of them
Did

Posted By: Tony Clifton
Date Posted: 31 October 2022 at 2:40pm
The game is in a death spiral, no other way to put it unless things change.

Posted By: Gate12
Date Posted: 31 October 2022 at 4:11pm
Not sure what the messaging was like to the clubs from Butcher or their reasons for voting against it, would be interested to know though if anyone knows any of the clubs that didn't go with it.

I'm struggling to see why they wouldn't vote for it, ultimately the community elected board members would have retained the majority vote on the board with 8 members against the remaining 5.

The simplest way of looking at it is they've decided that one of the 8 elected members by the clubs must be chair over the 4/5 people they've brought in specifically because of their capability and calibre in that environment, i.e. they're voting against the likely most suitable person in the room being chair.

Neither the pro or community game have much trust in the WRU, and I'd guess that the community games concern is that the board is slowly trying to push them out through incremental changes.

The WRU might be better off just putting all their cards out on the table of their long-term intentions (which no-one seems to know what they are beyond 'making the game better') and let them decide from there.

Posted By: KID A
Date Posted: 31 October 2022 at 4:14pm
I think the excuse some clubs gave is that they were only made aware of the plans a week ago and had little time to ask the WRU for clarification on what it would mean for them. Poor excuse if you ask me.

At the meeting another motion brought by the clubs was to upgrade the time served on the board from 9 years to 12 years!!! Unbelievable how much gravy some of these people want on their train. It didn't get voted through.

Date Posted: 31 October 2022 at 4:26pm
The board of the wru backed this motion so did the the pro sides and so did the majority of the grass roots clubs, 75 per cent is a high threshold. Did every club even vote?

Date Posted: 31 October 2022 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Not sure what the messaging was like to the clubs from Butcher or their reasons for voting against it, would be interested to know though if anyone knows any of the clubs that didn't go with it.

I'm struggling to see why they wouldn't vote for it, ultimately the community elected board members would have retained the majority vote on the board with 8 members against the remaining 5.

The simplest way of looking at it is they've decided that one of the 8 elected members by the clubs must be chair over the 4/5 people they've brought in specifically because of their capability and calibre in that environment, i.e. they're voting against the likely most suitable person in the room being chair.

Neither the pro or community game have much trust in the WRU, and I'd guess that the community games concern is that the board is slowly trying to push them out through incremental changes.

The WRU might be better off just putting all their cards out on the table of their long-term intentions (which no-one seems to know what they are beyond 'making the game better') and let them decide from there.

isn’t nigel walker supposed to be pushing this long term vision? 

Posted By: KID A
Date Posted: 31 October 2022 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

The board of the wru backed this motion so did the the pro sides and so did the majority of the grass roots clubs, 75 per cent is a high threshold. Did every club even vote?

I think around 90 clubs didn't even bother voting.

Date Posted: 31 October 2022 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Jesus wept. That's horrific.

Date Posted: 31 October 2022 at 4:44pm

isn’t nigel walker supposed to be pushing this long term vision? 

If he is the message isn't getting very far!

Date Posted: 31 October 2022 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Yep that's awful.  

I'm sceptical how much effort went into the roadshow, the current exec board would likely be more accountable if the changes were brought in so it's potentially in their interest to have a weaker main board.

Date Posted: 31 October 2022 at 5:19pm

Yep that's awful.  

I'm sceptical how much effort went into the roadshow, the current exec board would likely be more accountable if the changes were brought in so it's potentially in their interest to have a weaker main board.

Yes I think that is key. Low profile proposal with scant advance notification. Undersold and under explained to small clubs by the WRU who should understand the profile of their membership! I also wonder if the 4 Regional clubs with their ties to small clubs ( visits/ player nights /training days etc could have backed up the WRU reps as well by selling it in. The failure however must be with the WRU in what seems to be complacency and or lack of drive to push this one measure through. 

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 31 October 2022 at 5:20pm

Yep that's awful.  

Have they a published Conflict of Interest policy?

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Date Posted: 31 October 2022 at 5:27pm

I heard on SM that Narberth was against? I could be wrong ( I usually am) 

Date Posted: 31 October 2022 at 6:24pm
Our of curio do we know If the regions camvas suppport for the motion? Did they meet any of the grass rootts ckubs to explain the need to support the motion? Did the wru? People slate the clubs but did anyone actually talk to them about this topic?

Date Posted: 31 October 2022 at 10:34pm

Our of curio do we know If the regions camvas suppport for the motion? Did they meet any of the grass rootts ckubs to explain the need to support the motion? Did the wru? People slate the clubs but did anyone actually talk to them about this topic?
As a gut reaction, I very much doubt it. It’s not our style and who in management would we have do it in the tight ship? Jon Daniels? There is no one else of note. 

Posted By: hoppy
Date Posted: 31 October 2022 at 11:29pm

We are obviously disappointed that a number of the proposed special resolutions didn’t pass through today, but it was always going to be difficult for us with a 75% majority required to make these changes,” said Butcher.

“The Board must now take some time to reflect on what member clubs have told us and come back with new proposals.

“We remain confident that our direction of travel is correct. We must modernise, we cannot afford to stand still in the fast moving world of the professional game and that means we must have a governance structure that is fit for purpose.

“But it is also vitally important that we take our member clubs with us on this journey. The community game and our member clubs and districts are at the very heart of Welsh rugby, we are a union of member clubs and we cannot forget or overlook this fact.

“This results of this vote today tell us that our clubs are not with us, we are not united and together in the way we understand this issue and the hard work must now continue until we reach the stage where we are.”

General view during the WRU AGM.

The current Board consists of eight directors who have first been elected by member clubs to the WRU Council (two of which are nationally elected directors and six are elected by WRU districts), two Independent Non-Executive Directors (INEDs), in Henry Engelhardt and Cat Read, who are appointed by the Board, the Professional Rugby Board chair (currently Malcolm Wall – also an appointed INED) and the WRU CEO (Steve Phillips).

The latest modernisation measures would have allowed the WRU Board to appoint a fourth Independent Non-Executive director, taking the total number on the Board to 13, and appoint this individual as chair. The change would also have allowed for one of the existing INEDS to become chair (with the exception of the individual holding the position of PRB chair).

Articles currently state that only Council Members can be elected as chair by the Board

Date Posted: 01 November 2022 at 10:50am
I have no idea what the relationship is like with the regions and grass roots clubs at mo. Let’s be honest i’m not sure the rfc and the scarlets are best of buddies, the clubs on social media in tge main seem to be backing the motion. Looks like more abstained than voted against it (late delivery by the wru the issue rather than the motion itself?)

Date Posted: 01 November 2022 at 11:42pm
Butcher won’t be reapplying for the chairmans role

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 6:18am
the baker and candlestick maker are waiting in the wings

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 6:55am
In the 2nd verse it goes on about dodgy roofers and cross hand sleeper cells...I thought it was important to highlight this factBig smile

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 7:54am

In the 2nd verse it goes on about dodgy roofers and cross hand sleeper cells...I thought it was important to highlight this factBig smile
And to think i championed for you to return some things in life you live to regret in the long term others the wait isn't that long.Tongue

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 8:08am

Butcher won’t be reapplying for the chairmans role

Good, but only if it signals the desire to change things.

Timing is hardly a coincidence I'd imagine.

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 8:12am
Sounds like the roadshow from the WRU was indeed last minute and lacked basic detail like how much the independent chair would be paid, coupled with motions like increasing the maximum term you can see why clubs would be dubious on supporting any of the motions.

For an organisation trying to convince its members it's trying to be more professional sounds like it wasn't handed very professionally, if they really really wanted it to work then Steve Phillips should have been in attendance with Butcher.

You could argue that the clubs who voted against are punishing everyone else for the lack of detail from the WRU, but if they passed something without the detail you'd question their thoroughness.

Once again a complete mess, underqualified person doing the roadshow underprepared by those who should know better.

So who's the next chair then? Choices include another retired teacher, a retired mining manager and a retired council worker, Ieuan Evans or Bucks (which they'll all hate as they're former Scarlets).

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 8:17am

This is such a great point RR.

I don't think (but not sure) the regions Board's arranged for break out meetings with the clubs in their region in the build up to the vote.

Like you I do ponder why not...clubs can vote how they please under the current mandate of course, but not to at least present the case from a regional point of view strikes me as an obvious step missed. At the end of the day the vote was close to getting to the required 75%...a few votes could have swung it.

It might be linked to who at a senior level at the region is responsible for that engagement, and where they are based too.

At the end of the day, one of, if not the biggest, priority of grass roots rugby is to provide the development pathway for players to have rugby as their primary occupation.

The other POV I have is many of us are local club AND regional supporters. I'd be mortified ( and doubt I would have kept my clacker) if I found out my local club had voted for things to stay as they are.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 8:25am

This is such a great point RR.

I don't think (but not sure) the regions Board's arranged for break out meetings with the clubs in their region in the build up to the vote.

Like you I do ponder why not...clubs can vote how they please under the current mandate of course, but not to at least present the case from a regional point of view strikes me as an obvious step missed. At the end of the day the vote was close to getting to the required 75%...a few votes could have swung it.

It might be linked to who at a senior level at the region is responsible for that engagement, and where they are based too.

At the end of the day, one of, if not the biggest, priority of grass roots rugby is to provide the development pathway for players to have rugby as their primary occupation.

The other POV I have is many of us are local club AND regional supporters. I'd be mortified ( and doubt I would have kept my clacker) if I found out my local club had voted for things to stay as they are.

Another reason why boots on the ground at senior management level is so important. Each region should have held localised seminars explaining their positions with regard to the upcoming vote; local grass roots rugby clubs are not the enemy here - they are being let down by the so called professionals who run the game in Wales. 

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 9:03am
Club official's robust defence of their controversial vote against WRU plan

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/a-lot-clubs-arse-rugby-25407608#ICID=Android_WalesOnlineNewsApp_AppShare" rel="nofollow - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/a-lot-clubs-arse-rugby-25407608#ICID=Android_WalesOnlineNewsApp_AppShare

Worth a read,and should provide some balance.

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 9:31am
He makes some good points the wru clearly made no effort to expain the motion, we have a ceo earning £350k who appears to be doing nothing. Walker is conspicous by his abscence in all of this. Helping run a club is hard work, it requires hours of effort usually unpaid, the vast majority people do it cos they love the sport and their team. These people are not enemies of the game they are it’s very life blood. I’m not suggesting they should be running a multi million pound business but neither should they be slated as some on social media are doing. If people want  change minds and voted there is nothing to stop then getting involved at their local club and  doing so

Posted By: Dic Penderyn
Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 9:52am
Walker was a great athlete who became a great wing-unfortunately for us,I still remember Botica showing him the outside in St Helens.He made a few combative statements when he was with Cardiff.Now he's Mr.Bean.
Geraint John,there's another one-like some bloke in a big factory ,you only bump into once in your working life and who has that half-embarassed look on his face because he's got the cushiest number in the world.

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 10:23am

He makes some good points the wru clearly made no effort to expain the motion, we have a ceo earning £350k who appears to be doing nothing. Walker is conspicous by his abscence in all of this. Helping run a club is hard work, it requires hours of effort usually unpaid, the vast majority people do it cos they love the sport and their team. These people are not enemies of the game they are it’s very life blood. I’m not suggesting they should be running a multi million pound business but neither should they be slated as some on social media are doing. If people want  change minds and voted there is nothing to stop then getting involved at their local club and  doing so

Completely agree, on the one hand people are saying they're not qualified enough to have a say and then the people who should be qualified enough to run the game can't even get the right info to them in a timely manner.

To a large extent the clubs aren't trying to hold the game back, they just want to know what they're signing up to because like the regions they regularly get burned by the WRU.

The us v them attitude and trying to belittle them doesn't help anyone.

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Club official's robust defence of their controversial vote against WRU plan

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/a-lot-clubs-arse-rugby-25407608#ICID=Android_WalesOnlineNewsApp_AppShare" rel="nofollow - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/a-lot-clubs-arse-rugby-25407608#ICID=Android_WalesOnlineNewsApp_AppShare

Worth a read,and should provide some balance.

It is a good read Dic. There are two sides to every story & it is pretty clear where the blame lies in this debacle. No costed proposal should even be allowed as an addenda to an AGM meeting. Detailed information should have been circulated to every voting member in good time for them to obtain the views of their own committees. 

We all talk of the amateurs running a professional game but its not the boys who do a sterling job running the likes of Aberavon Quins who are the problem here. Its the total dogs bollocks amateurs running the WRU one of whom is being paid £359K per annum. 

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 12:28pm
The wru , China,  Russia and North Korea all operate on the same level when it comes to sharing information 

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 12:48pm

The wru , China,  Russia and North Korea all operate on the same level when it comes to sharing information 
Always admired your ability in the subject of geography. Must’ve been all those years teaching head of your well-earned retirement.

Do you think that the clubs would’ve been briefed better on this important matter if your return to this forum had been delayed by a few weeks, Bob?WinkWinkWink

-------------

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 2:19pm
I've just had a read of the WRU annual report, according to that everything is fine in Welsh rugby.

National team is on a high after a win in SA, womens and disability rugby on the up all round, regions playing in an exciting new competition, club rugby loving the new structures and participation up everywhere.

Well done everyone, all is well.

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 2:22pm

I've just had a read of the WRU annual report, according to that everything is fine in Welsh rugby.

National team is on a high after a win in SA, womens and disability rugby on the up all round, regions playing in an exciting new competition, club rugby loving the new structures and participation up everywhere.

The only way that is true is if clubs haven't got rid of old players on their WRU profile & are still listed as playing members. There have been too many fixtures called off for the statement to actually be correct.

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 2:32pm

I always wondered where Tariq Aziz ended up.

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

The only way that is true is if clubs haven't got rid of old players on their WRU profile & are still listed as playing members. There have been too many fixtures called off for the statement to actually be correct.

Funnily enough games cancelled isn't a metric that's mentioned anywhere in the 146 page report, don't want anything negative in an all encompassing annual report.

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 2:38pm

Think he joined the WRU in about 2017 (kept his head down between 2015 and then).

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 2:41pm
Fair play to the Chairman, stepping down with organization hitting all it's KPI's.

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 2:51pm
Once you've achieved everything you've set out to do its only fair to leave someone else have a crack.

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 3:00pm

Funnily enough games cancelled isn't a metric that's mentioned anywhere in the 146 page report, don't want anything negative in an all encompassing annual report.

Well I have played for my local side for what must be 12 years now & we always get our games. However we have not been able to get a team for 3 matches so far this season (not including 2 cup matches which we didnt play because we couldn't raise a team in the first cup round).

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 3:03pm
From last weekend 33 of the 78 fixtures planned in the WRU Cup (Division 1, 2 and 3) were conceded by a team.

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 3:08pm

From last weekend 33 of the 78 fixtures planned in the WRU Cup (Division 1, 2 and 3) were conceded by a team.

Which is a huge shame as I thought the new cup competition was a good idea as you play different teams & if you lose your first match, you can still qualify for the next round as it's a pool system.

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 3:10pm
I had a look at All Wales Sport website and I couldn't find a league anywhere from championship to youth where all fixtures have been fulfilled, some leagues haven't had a full weekend of fixtures once yet this season!

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 3:27pm

LOL

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 3:29pm
But with some tickets being sold for a grand the blinkered fools in charge would see it like that 

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 3:48pm

Which is a huge shame as I thought the new cup competition was a good idea as you play different teams & if you lose your first match, you can still qualify for the next round as it's a pool system.

Yes good point.

Date Posted: 02 November 2022 at 11:06pm
Too many clubs for the current player base. We either increase the number of players or clubs will fold/merge.  Covid has accerlerated what was already a serious problem

Date Posted: 03 November 2022 at 5:04am

Too many clubs for the current player base. We either increase the number of players or clubs will fold/merge.  Covid has accerlerated what was already a serious problem

Definitely a factor, but one that needs to be recognized and addressed of course.

The evidence is everywhere.

A start would be to give significant incentives ( not just cash) to clubs that have a full development pathway from U8's through to a 2nd team...likewise giving teams that just have a first team a couple of years to fix it.

Date Posted: 03 November 2022 at 8:00am
This is where the WRU need to inform its members of their direction, do they believe that the current volume of clubs is sustainable and have a plan to increase participation to match it? Or do they think it needs to be reduced as we'll never hit those player volumes? Or is it somewhere in-between where first teams continue and there's, for example, a reduced game format available at junior level for some clubs.

How does the club game at junior level then effectively tie in with academy, college and schools? appreciating that the club game is more than just a sport, it's a hugely important social hub for many communities.

I've probably banged on about this before, but the WRU need to tell everyone what their vision is and the plans to get there.

More success, more participation and more diversity isn't a plan, it's a marketing line.

Date Posted: 03 November 2022 at 8:05am
As far as I can see the WRU only appear to have one plan - a roof walk on the stadium. Both Phillips & Walker clearly deemed they had enough time to go on a jolly to NZ for the World cup regardless of the catastrophy unfolding back home with club finances. Thats it boys get your priorities sorted. 

Date Posted: 03 November 2022 at 8:11am

Yes good point.

I mean there is a side that lost its first 2 games (out of 3) but got 2 bonus points in both defeats & they won their final game & now top the pool....

Date Posted: 03 November 2022 at 8:21am

This is where the WRU need to inform its members of their direction, do they believe that the current volume of clubs is sustainable and have a plan to increase participation to match it? Or do they think it needs to be reduced as we'll never hit those player volumes? Or is it somewhere in-between where first teams continue and there's, for example, a reduced game format available at junior level for some clubs.

How does the club game at junior level then effectively tie in with academy, college and schools? appreciating that the club game is more than just a sport, it's a hugely important social hub for many communities.

I've probably banged on about this before, but the WRU need to tell everyone what their vision is and the plans to get there.

More success, more participation and more diversity isn't a plan, it's a marketing line.
FWIW, you can carry on banging this particular drum as much as you like. It does need repeating.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 November 2022 at 11:13am
We need to take a leaf out of the book that the F.A.W or F.AC in the future.. And the way they have taken a basket case of a situation and turned it around to the point where my wife is a big supporter of football Wales and doesn't even bother watching the Scarlets and Wales... She's going shopping Saturday afternoonOuch

Date Posted: 03 November 2022 at 12:32pm
Maybe it's you she's getting away from not the rugby she probably goes to Currys for 2 hours LOLWink

Posted By: insidehalf
Date Posted: 03 November 2022 at 12:41pm
Wales play the All Blacks this weekend and as much as I'd love us to beat them (It's got to happen some day, just hope I'm still around by then). But if against all odds we manage it the WRU will think everything in the garden is rosy they're doing a great job and no change or extra funding is required.

Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 03 November 2022 at 2:35pm
As long as the club rep from Aberflyhalf, the other rep’s their wives or someone else’s wife have a free ticket,  lunch, dinner and free drinks all will be well in Welsh Rugby. 

-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.

Date Posted: 03 November 2022 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

As long as the club rep from Aberflyhalf, the other rep’s their wives or someone else’s wife have a free ticket,  lunch, dinner and free drinks all will be well in Welsh Rugby. 

Harsh, but sadly accurate.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net