Forum Description: Other rugby chat
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47220
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 4:49pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Australian rugby
Posted By: reesytheexile
Subject: Australian rugby
Date Posted: 18 March 2023 at 5:05am
I’m on Australian travels and currently in Canberra. Spent some time yesterday with a club now known as The ANU Owls ( a merger between Northern Suburbs and ANU University) Dai Young and Richard Webster had played for North in fact and one of the guys I met , Phil Doyle, the Vice Chairman remembers that. Phil has a Welsh association in that he told me that he and a Northern Suburb team mate played a season back in the’80’s with Pontypool and he recalls the then ‘ no mercy’ elements of the game back then and playing Llanelli and Neath . His claim to fame was that the Wallabies were on tour and due to injuries he was called up at scrum half. He was on the bench as the sub but never actually got on . He got a nice letter verifying his role but very sadly NO cap. Bitter sweet stuff. 

Gave me an Owls shirt which was nice of them. What struck me was the numbers of players out training both male and female. The Uni of course creates a core supply of players . They again reminded me that Rugby is down the popularity order in Oz. 

I’m off to see the Brumbies in a couple of hours for a 7-30 pm KO . It’s hot at 29 degrees . Definitely shorts job 

Replies:
Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 18 March 2023 at 8:19am
Shorts reesy - nice one. Enjoy the game with a few tinnies no doubt. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 18 March 2023 at 8:26am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

thanks Gareth. Love the old Oz meat pies - always a crust on them 👍

Posted By: Oracle
Date Posted: 18 March 2023 at 9:03am
Give us a wave , I'm watching the game on supersports South Africa 

Date Posted: 18 March 2023 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

Give us a wave , I'm watching the game on supersports South Africa 
in the middle of the Mail Malinga stand behind the press and n half way line towards the back 👍

Date Posted: 18 March 2023 at 9:30am
Sports channel has just informed viewers they won't be doing any closeups of the crowd today , as they are uglier than usual .....I'm not sure why Wink

Enjoy your game and don't spend to much on my present Hug

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 18 March 2023 at 9:34am
Is Brumbies the side that Ed Kennedy went to?

Hope you have a great trip. How long are you & Linda away for?

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Date Posted: 18 March 2023 at 10:15am
You have seen a great game

Date Posted: 18 March 2023 at 10:54am

You have seen a great game

Very high scores! 62-36. Like watching the Scarlets with lots of tries and kicks for corners rather than penalties. 7000 there which isn’t bad when the opponents are not locals . Interesting that there was NO referee booing at all and no TMO nonsense and little ref interference in play. Seemed much faster paced than back home.Great centre line seats as well.. nice beef pie and a tinny or two. Good night 

Date Posted: 18 March 2023 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Did Ed go there? I don’t think he was there tonight-we were in Perth WA for a week ( fab place) and in Sydney visiting daughter ( son was also there) and now in Canberra which we love- so spacious with fine civic buildings. Off to Melbourne next and hopefully catch up with some old friends. 

Date Posted: 18 March 2023 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by <font color='#0000FF'>http://ed%20kennedy%20rugby rel=nofollow</font> - reesytheexile http://ed%20kennedy%20rugby rel=nofollow - reesytheexile wrote:

]
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Did Ed go there? I don’t think he was there tonight-we were in Perth WA for a week ( fab place) and in Sydney visiting daughter ( son was also there) and now in Canberra which we love- so spacious with fine civic buildings. Off to Melbourne next and hopefully catch up with some old friends. 
Lovely.

Ed was at the Brumbies. Whether he is injured, I’ve no idea and not looked further than this  http://https://brumbies.rugby/news/backrower-ed-kennedy-resigns-with-brumbies-until-end-of-2024-2022630" rel="nofollow - http://https://brumbies.rugby/news/backrower-ed-kennedy-resigns-with-brumbies-until-end-of-2024-2022630

-------------

Posted By: gnasher1975
Date Posted: 18 March 2023 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Not sure where your based but next time you are local try Motley pie in Gowerton, bloody great pies plenty of crust, chock full of filling 👍👍👍 

Date Posted: 18 March 2023 at 4:49pm
He's in Australia not gowerton .. unbelievable 

Date Posted: 18 March 2023 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by gnasher1975 gnasher1975 wrote:

Not sure where your based but next time you are local try Motley pie in Gowerton, bloody great pies plenty of crust, chock full of filling 👍👍👍 
Usually patrols Machynys and surrounding areas.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 March 2023 at 6:11pm

One way ticket?

I’d have thought a return.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 March 2023 at 6:28pm
Dim eto 

Posted By: gnasher1975
Date Posted: 18 March 2023 at 7:45pm

🙄 

Date Posted: 18 March 2023 at 8:22pm
I thought it might be informative to you but obviously not Ouch

Date Posted: 25 March 2023 at 1:46pm
Melbourne Rebels v Queensland Reds today. 
I went to this super rugby game this evening in AAMI Park by the MCG . Great game which could have gone either way but edged by Melbourne. Interestingly, sides went for touch rather than kick for goal in almost all cases. Also even more interesting was not one box kick by the scrum half’s ( to the best of my recollection) during the game. 

As an aside I have to say the food choices and quality at all Oz  stadiums we have been to has been excellent ( I went to the Aussie Rules game Collingwood v Port Adelaide earlier before 60,000 in the MCG also with excellent refreshment options). We have a lot to do in this department at PYS as we have not really progressed much - in my opinion anyway. 

Posted By: bydder
Date Posted: 25 March 2023 at 9:03pm

Melbourne Rebels v Queensland Reds today. 
I went to this super rugby game this evening in AAMI Park by the MCG . Great game which could have gone either way but edged by Melbourne. Interestingly, sides went for touch rather than kick for goal in almost all cases. Also even more interesting was not one box kick by the scrum half’s ( to the best of my recollection) during the game. 

As an aside I have to say the food choices and quality at all Oz  stadiums we have been to has been excellent ( I went to the Aussie Rules game Collingwood v Port Adelaide earlier before 60,000 in the MCG also with excellent refreshment options). We have a lot to do in this department at PYS as we have not really progressed much - in my opinion anyway. 

The refreshments in this country are almost all the same in any sport over priced crap.

-------------
N11

Posted By: mark in sydney
Date Posted: 27 March 2023 at 2:41am
Hope you enjoy your trip around Oz

Made me laugh about Canberra, most people find it soulless, apart from its architecture its full of politicians!!! Oh by the way dont call Mal Meninga, Mail Melinga in Canberra, he's a rugby league legend there.

Always good crowds for the AFL /aerial ping pong as Melbourne has not much to offer outdoors, the weather is usually bad and they have crap beaches. The restaurants are pretty good as are the cafes.  

If you get a chance to see a game at the newly built Sydney football stadium (SFS) worth going to as its purpose built for rugby (league and union).

As we head to winter the NSW beaches are quiet, try heading to the central coast about 85km north of Sydney and find a nice beach like Avoca or Kilcare, usually get a meal and a beer at the local surf life saving club ... plug by me as a member of my local SLSC. Only swim on patrolled beaches. 

As for the food comparison, cant comment, its been about 6 yrs since I last saw a live game at PYS and when I get to Llanelli in mid-May for 2 weeks, fixtures have finished, just hoping the Castore merchandise shop is open. 

-------------
I was there ...one Tuesday when the All Blacks came (and lost)

Date Posted: 27 March 2023 at 6:19am
Originally posted by mark in sydney mark in sydney wrote:

Hope you enjoy your trip around Oz

Made me laugh about Canberra, most people find it soulless, apart from its architecture its full of politicians!!! Oh by the way dont call Mal Meninga, Mail Melinga in Canberra, he's a rugby league legend there.

Always good crowds for the AFL /aerial ping pong as Melbourne has not much to offer outdoors, the weather is usually bad and they have crap beaches. The restaurants are pretty good as are the cafes.  

If you get a chance to see a game at the newly built Sydney football stadium (SFS) worth going to as its purpose built for rugby (league and union).

As we head to winter the NSW beaches are quiet, try heading to the central coast about 85km north of Sydney and find a nice beach like Avoca or Kilcare, usually get a meal and a beer at the local surf life saving club ... plug by me as a member of my local SLSC. Only swim on patrolled beaches. 

As for the food comparison, cant comment, its been about 6 yrs since I last saw a live game at PYS and when I get to Llanelli in mid-May for 2 weeks, fixtures have finished, just hoping the Castore merchandise shop is open. 

Ha ha .. yes I know what you mean re Canberra but we love it anyway and the slow train from Canberra to Sydney a delight- so cheap most people go first class 😂 

Thanks for the other tips! 👍

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net