Print Page | Close Window

Immigration in Llanelli

Printed From: Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets
Category: SOCIAL
Forum Name: CHAT BOARD
Forum Description: No topics, just chat
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47396
Printed Date: 23 April 2024 at 5:00am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: Immigration in Llanelli
Posted By: Oracle
Subject: Immigration in Llanelli
Date Posted: 15 July 2023 at 6:57pm
I see a lot of opposition to the situating of assylum seekers in Llanelli....it's a very complex situation in my view , but ultimately its the individual from abroad that suffers...I can understand the distrust and dislike of the 
Imposition upon the area by the Westminster government , but in my view it's to late to complain when most individuals have chosen governance from Westminster rather than Cardiff..you reap what you sow ..
The individuals from Afghanistan and Syria are fleeing a war that was started and fuelled by the west...we expected Afghanistan individuals to spy on their own people , which put themselves and their family's life in potential danger, and then left them 
I wonder the next time British and NATO forces go into a country whether the people will think ...to hell with them , they won't give a damn when they leave , so I think I won't put myself and family at risk for their sake ...

It's a situation that most people don't think through , but here's another thought 

If the protesters against oil are correct , then the northern European countries need to prepare for an exodus of people from India and Africa and Asia ..looking for a new home as temperatures climb and large areas of the planet become uninhabitable ....just a thought for now but our children and grandchildren may have different views on us in the future 



Replies:
Posted By: bydder
Date Posted: 15 July 2023 at 10:32pm
Feel sorry for the staff that got sacked. But people don't like it when reality comes to there front doors of the consequences that "Great Britain" and others have done on this planet. Also I maybe incorrect that the UK have taken the least amount of refuges out of other European countries and then the BS argument of "they came through other safe countries".

-------------
N11


Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 16 July 2023 at 4:59pm
All this has certainly opened my eyes to what people are really like in this town. Most are xenophobes who have no idea what they’re talking about. They don’t even know what an asylum seeker is. 


Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 16 July 2023 at 6:09pm
The home office has a lot to answer for, but they dont seem to communicate with the rest of the country . Why cant those billions of public funds, they seem to have available for these private companies , be made available to local govt in order to prepare suitable accommodation throughout the country for immigrants? Far better planning, communication and co-ordination is needed. This would also allow councils to use the dispersement model? Given enough time and funding Im sure they could find dozens of suitable empty buildings in Llanelli. 

Hard to believe though at SPH that neither the new buyers or home office actually checked the deeds?
In the meantime as this debacle drags on , where will these immigrants be staying now?  and what will the new owners and home office do next?




-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)


Posted By: Oracle
Date Posted: 16 July 2023 at 6:26pm
We could have kept the Dublin agreement , but Boris didn't want it ....These people are not being processed, the Westminster government just wants to create division ..but remember us in Wales do not matter ...after 800 years Westminster rule we are poor ..That's including nearly 200 years of coal extraction ....it's not about immigration any more , but whether we want to be slaves or do we want to decide on our own future ....poverty , sport , life in general is all down to politics ..... remember that the next time you vote 


Posted By: Kentexile
Date Posted: 16 July 2023 at 7:18pm
From a local perspective around 100 lost jobs which probably means 200 families and even more local children impacted. Also loss of a wedding venue which will be a hit on on income coming into plenty of other local businesses and plenty more local
families.
Asylum seekers need and deserve protection care and compassion but local communities also deserve protection from the failures of the English government .


Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 16 July 2023 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

I see a lot of opposition to the situating of assylum seekers in Llanelli....it's a very complex situation in my view , but ultimately its the individual from abroad that suffers...I can understand the distrust and dislike of the 
Imposition upon the area by the Westminster government , but in my view it's to late to complain when most individuals have chosen governance from Westminster rather than Cardiff..you reap what you sow ..
The individuals from Afghanistan and Syria are fleeing a war that was started and fuelled by the west...we expected Afghanistan individuals to spy on their own people , which put themselves and their family's life in potential danger, and then left them 
I wonder the next time British and NATO forces go into a country whether the people will think ...to hell with them , they won't give a damn when they leave , so I think I won't put myself and family at risk for their sake ...

It's a situation that most people don't think through , but here's another thought 

If the protesters against oil are correct , then the northern European countries need to prepare for an exodus of people from India and Africa and Asia ..looking for a new home as temperatures climb and large areas of the planet become uninhabitable ....just a thought for now but our children and grandchildren may have different views on us in the future 
the war in syria has little if anything to do with western european nations. It’s more of  a civil war with russia propping up assad and if anything else it’s a pproxy war between saudi and iran. As for “their  people “ your talking about the taliban who are by and large hated in afghanistan and hardly surprising given their barbaric attitude , shocking treatment of women and the fact they propped up by a load of overseas fighters in their rAnks. Your failure to mention any of the above. Suggests you either have an agenda your trying to push , or know very little about either situation or possibly both. However even a broken clock is right twice a day and all the afghans who helped the west and their fanilies should have been given asylun


Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 16 July 2023 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by bydder bydder wrote:

Feel sorry for the staff that got sacked. But people don't like it when reality comes to there front doors of the consequences that "Great Britain" and others have done on this planet. Also I maybe incorrect that the UK have taken the least amount of refuges out of other European countries and then the BS argument of "they came through other safe countries".
are you trying to say the uk has taken the least asylum seekers of any europeam nation? In which case yes you are incorrect


Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 16 July 2023 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

All this has certainly opened my eyes to what people are really like in this town. Most are xenophobes who have no idea what they’re talking about. They don’t even know what an asylum seeker is. 
As Blair said “Education education education “ That’s one of his views I agree with if not much more. We are more “ ignorance is bliss “ in Wales at present sadly. So much work for our little nation to do 


Posted By: bydder
Date Posted: 16 July 2023 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by bydder bydder wrote:

Feel sorry for the staff that got sacked. But people don't like it when reality comes to there front doors of the consequences that "Great Britain" and others have done on this planet. Also I maybe incorrect that the UK have taken the least amount of refuges out of other European countries and then the BS argument of "they came through other safe countries".
are you trying to say the uk has taken the least asylum seekers of any europeam nation? In which case yes you are incorrect
no I worded it wrong. I'm trying to say the bigger(powerful) countries e.g. UK, France, Germany not the likes of Montenegro like I said earlier I maybe wrong.


-------------
N11


Posted By: Oracle
Date Posted: 16 July 2023 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

I see a lot of opposition to the situating of assylum seekers in Llanelli....it's a very complex situation in my view , but ultimately its the individual from abroad that suffers...I can understand the distrust and dislike of the 
Imposition upon the area by the Westminster government , but in my view it's to late to complain when most individuals have chosen governance from Westminster rather than Cardiff..you reap what you sow ..
The individuals from Afghanistan and Syria are fleeing a war that was started and fuelled by the west...we expected Afghanistan individuals to spy on their own people , which put themselves and their family's life in potential danger, and then left them 
I wonder the next time British and NATO forces go into a country whether the people will think ...to hell with them , they won't give a damn when they leave , so I think I won't put myself and family at risk for their sake ...

It's a situation that most people don't think through , but here's another thought 

If the protesters against oil are correct , then the northern European countries need to prepare for an exodus of people from India and Africa and Asia ..looking for a new home as temperatures climb and large areas of the planet become uninhabitable ....just a thought for now but our children and grandchildren may have different views on us in the future 
the war in syria has little if anything to do with western european nations. It’s more of  a civil war with russia propping up assad and if anything else it’s a pproxy war between saudi and iran. As for “their  people “ your talking about the taliban who are by and large hated in afghanistan and hardly surprising given their barbaric attitude , shocking treatment of women and the fact they propped up by a load of overseas fighters in their rAnks. Your failure to mention any of the above. Suggests you either have an agenda your trying to push , or know very little about either situation or possibly both. However even a broken clock is right twice a day and all the afghans who helped the west and their fanilies should have been given asylun

I'm sure you were supporting the protesters yesterday , my MAGA friend Wink


Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 16 July 2023 at 9:11pm
Not me asylum seekers have to live somewhere . Llanelli and the surrouding area have to do our bit to help. The only bit i dusagree with is the loss of a 100 local jobs


Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 16 July 2023 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Kentexile Kentexile wrote:

From a local perspective around 100 lost jobs which probably means 200 families and even more local children impacted. Also loss of a wedding venue which will be a hit on on income coming into plenty of other local businesses and plenty more local
families.
Asylum seekers need and deserve protection care and compassion but local communities also deserve protection from the failures of the English government .

Half of them were youngsters where it was just a part time job. The people in this town moan and whinge when places open out of town and it seems they don’t have the brains to comprehend jobs come with it. People are obsessed with slating out of town shops and things like Eastgate. They’ve created hundreds of jobs. 95 jobs go and people are up in arms. They don’t appreciate the 100s that have been created. 


Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 16 July 2023 at 11:27pm
I think ( and hope) the displaced staff will all get jobs as there is a shortage of hospitality staff in Llanelli cafes restaurants and pubs . I see adverts all over the place and of course quite a few will be part time work. It’s the tourist aspect and venue loss that will hurt long term. We only have the Diplomat now as a venue 


Posted By: scarletpimp
Date Posted: 17 July 2023 at 12:13am
I don't to repeat what I have said in a previous post, but the huge concern ATM, isn't just the arrival of the 200 refugees at the Stradey pk hotel, but the polarisation of opinion, and vitriol mainly stoked up by far right protesters, who have their own racist, agenda.

On BBC news tonight a lot of sense was spoken by the "Hope not Hate " spokesperson, who were holding a supportive gathering in Park Howard.

He echoed my feelings ,that the community of Furnace were right to be alarmed, due the total lack of consultation by the Home Office, either with WAG or the local authority.

The very fact that a large number of individuals are placed in one place , without any clear infrastructure  plan.
To add to the woe, this leads to the loss of local jobs at the hotel. Any loss of jobs is a bad thing.
The better option, with better consultation, would be sensibly disperse the refugees sensibly, which could have been done better through the local authority.

What "Hope and not Hate" spokesperson", also said was that we need to continue this ongoing  dialogue, without acrimony, which I think is sensible, even allowing for the fact that this is a highly charged and emotive situation.

Its is unclear, how long the refugees will stay, and whether they will be restricted to the hotel, which a lot of people have already raised a concern about.

If the Home Office got its act together, and processed arrivals in the UK rapidly, we wouldn't be in this situation.
Its obvious, in the response to Covid, by the creation of "Field hospitals" that when the Government wants to do something, it can usually do so, and rapidly.
There needs to be a huge surge in the employment of border force staff, both patrolling the channel, and processing those who arrive.
Instead of this Braverman hatches a madcap plan to send them to a dubious place like Rwanda, which has now proved illegal, by our courts

With better organisation, its clear that that some economic migrants can return from whence they came, allowing for those fleeing persecution and terror ,to be properly looked after here , both in the short term ,before their longer term futures are decided.

Wales has a good track record of being generous and welcoming, particularly for those in need.
If this shoddy government acts fairly and does the right thing, it will encourage people to again act with compassion and care, and to support those who most need our help 




-------------
I stood yer on tanner bank


Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 17 July 2023 at 10:32am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I think ( and hope) the displaced staff will all get jobs as there is a shortage of hospitality staff in Llanelli cafes restaurants and pubs . I see adverts all over the place and of course quite a few will be part time work. It’s the tourist aspect and venue loss that will hurt long term. We only have the Diplomat now as a venue 

There’s loads of hotels in Llanelli. Better value as well. I’d say it’s wedding wise is gonna have the biggest impact. There’s plenty of other places offering function rooms, spas and a restaurant. 


Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 17 July 2023 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I think ( and hope) the displaced staff will all get jobs as there is a shortage of hospitality staff in Llanelli cafes restaurants and pubs . I see adverts all over the place and of course quite a few will be part time work. It’s the tourist aspect and venue loss that will hurt long term. We only have the Diplomat now as a venue 

There’s loads of hotels in Llanelli. Better value as well. I’d say it’s wedding wise is gonna have the biggest impact. There’s plenty of other places offering function rooms, spas and a restaurant. 

Theres nowwhere near enough hotel rooms and none offer what the SPH does
In fact the scarlets themselves stated 1 reason they dont offer concerts and events is because therees not enough hotel rooms in the town to accomodate their guests


-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)


Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 17 July 2023 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I think ( and hope) the displaced staff will all get jobs as there is a shortage of hospitality staff in Llanelli cafes restaurants and pubs . I see adverts all over the place and of course quite a few will be part time work. It’s the tourist aspect and venue loss that will hurt long term. We only have the Diplomat now as a venue 

There’s loads of hotels in Llanelli. Better value as well. I’d say it’s wedding wise is gonna have the biggest impact. There’s plenty of other places offering function rooms, spas and a restaurant. 

Theres nowwhere near enough hotel rooms and none offer what the SPH does
In fact the scarlets themselves stated 1 reason they dont offer concerts and events is because therees not enough hotel rooms in the town to accomodate their guests
yes , our hotel capacity is woeful. The two hotels are the SPH and The Diplomat. Then a small venue is the Thomas Arms ( no parking on site) . The Premier and Travelodge are just rooms. I went to a Wanderers rugby Dinner in SPH last year and it easily took in 260 people .Could have taken more. Losing these places is a knock on tourism and events in the town. It’s shocking stuff 


Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 17 July 2023 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I think ( and hope) the displaced staff will all get jobs as there is a shortage of hospitality staff in Llanelli cafes restaurants and pubs . I see adverts all over the place and of course quite a few will be part time work. It’s the tourist aspect and venue loss that will hurt long term. We only have the Diplomat now as a venue 

There’s loads of hotels in Llanelli. Better value as well. I’d say it’s wedding wise is gonna have the biggest impact. There’s plenty of other places offering function rooms, spas and a restaurant. 

Theres nowwhere near enough hotel rooms and none offer what the SPH does
In fact the scarlets themselves stated 1 reason they dont offer concerts and events is because therees not enough hotel rooms in the town to accomodate their guests
yes , our hotel capacity is woeful. The two hotels are the SPH and The Diplomat. Then a small venue is the Thomas Arms ( no parking on site) . The Premier and Travelodge are just rooms. I went to a Wanderers rugby Dinner in SPH last year and it easily took in 260 people .Could have taken more. Losing these places is a knock on tourism and events in the town. It’s shocking stuff 

Just rooms? What were the Stradey park rooms? It’s 74 less rooms. You mean to tell me Llanelli’s hotels are chock a block every week? Rubbish. There’s at least 6 hotels in Llanelli. There’s other places can have functions. 


Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 17 July 2023 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I think ( and hope) the displaced staff will all get jobs as there is a shortage of hospitality staff in Llanelli cafes restaurants and pubs . I see adverts all over the place and of course quite a few will be part time work. It’s the tourist aspect and venue loss that will hurt long term. We only have the Diplomat now as a venue 

There’s loads of hotels in Llanelli. Better value as well. I’d say it’s wedding wise is gonna have the biggest impact. There’s plenty of other places offering function rooms, spas and a restaurant. 

Theres nowwhere near enough hotel rooms and none offer what the SPH does
In fact the scarlets themselves stated 1 reason they dont offer concerts and events is because therees not enough hotel rooms in the town to accomodate their guests
yes , our hotel capacity is woeful. The two hotels are the SPH and The Diplomat. Then a small venue is the Thomas Arms ( no parking on site) . The Premier and Travelodge are just rooms. I went to a Wanderers rugby Dinner in SPH last year and it easily took in 260 people .Could have taken more. Losing these places is a knock on tourism and events in the town. It’s shocking stuff 

Just rooms? What were the Stradey park rooms? It’s 74 less rooms. You mean to tell me Llanelli’s hotels are chock a block every week? Rubbish. There’s at least 6 hotels in Llanelli. There’s other places can have functions. 
Well I’m struggling to think of anything of a like nature. What venues were you thinking of? 


Posted By: scarletpimp
Date Posted: 18 July 2023 at 10:50am
For those interested,  "Wales This Week"' are devoting  a half hour documentary  tonight at 8.30, on the issue entitled 
"Room at the Inn".
The preamble,.asks,  whether Welsh towns are equipped  to support  large numbers of asylum seekers. 


-------------
I stood yer on tanner bank


Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 18 July 2023 at 11:39am
The barge hotel being brought into a harbour by Weymouth is going to be controversial. Up to 500 single men who can get bussed into town with no curfews ( other than they would like them back by 11 pm ).it’s costing a lot of money from the Home Office. Why can’t they beef up and speed up the process of these people not dump them and expect them to quietly comply. I can see trouble down there. I just hope our arrivals are indeed families 🙏 And still no sign of a policy from the government to address all this long term!


Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 18 July 2023 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

The barge hotel being brought into a harbour by Weymouth is going to be controversial. Up to 500 single men who can get bussed into town with no curfews ( other than they would like them back by 11 pm ).it’s costing a lot of money from the Home Office. Why can’t they beef up and speed up the process of these people not dump them and expect them to quietly comply. I can see trouble down there. I just hope our arrivals are indeed families 🙏 And still no sign of a policy from the government to address all this long term!

The term I hate is ‘the illegals’ they’re asylum seekers and perfectly entitled to come. The irony is by not coming to the hotel they’d be illegal. 


Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 18 July 2023 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

I think ( and hope) the displaced staff will all get jobs as there is a shortage of hospitality staff in Llanelli cafes restaurants and pubs . I see adverts all over the place and of course quite a few will be part time work. It’s the tourist aspect and venue loss that will hurt long term. We only have the Diplomat now as a venue 

There’s loads of hotels in Llanelli. Better value as well. I’d say it’s wedding wise is gonna have the biggest impact. There’s plenty of other places offering function rooms, spas and a restaurant. 

Theres nowwhere near enough hotel rooms and none offer what the SPH does
In fact the scarlets themselves stated 1 reason they dont offer concerts and events is because therees not enough hotel rooms in the town to accomodate their guests
yes , our hotel capacity is woeful. The two hotels are the SPH and The Diplomat. Then a small venue is the Thomas Arms ( no parking on site) . The Premier and Travelodge are just rooms. I went to a Wanderers rugby Dinner in SPH last year and it easily took in 260 people .Could have taken more. Losing these places is a knock on tourism and events in the town. It’s shocking stuff 

Just rooms? What were the Stradey park rooms? It’s 74 less rooms. You mean to tell me Llanelli’s hotels are chock a block every week? Rubbish. There’s at least 6 hotels in Llanelli. There’s other places can have functions. 
Well I’m struggling to think of anything of a like nature. What venues were you thinking of? 

Thomas arms, EJs, Selwyn Samuel, Diplomat and PYS. 


Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 18 July 2023 at 2:37pm
Drakeford has declared wales a nation of refuge supported by nia grifffiths and other welsh labour mps. However when it comes to having these poor folk in her own ward or close to drakefods holiday home they are very mute on the matter. A classic case of nimby these do as i say not do as i do folk, seem to very keen to lecture others but no so keen to step up and help  f wales are a nation of refuge then towns like llanelli have to play their part. 250 people is hardly a major infkux tbh i don’t see what the fuss is about


Posted By: Oracle
Date Posted: 18 July 2023 at 2:56pm
Immigration has nothing to do with Welsh labour , it's directed from Facist central in engerland...Beside Llanelli , today is a dark day for every UK resident ....big message sent to the world , showing there will be no care or consideration for anyone coming to the island ....It will take years for us to get out of the Russian , NK and china group of responsible nations ...The Rwanda process has also been ...at a massive cost ....UNCHR will be next ...let's hope the troops won't be captured in any future conflict as torture and no medical support are on the cards for them if caught behind enemy lines 


Posted By: scarletabroad
Date Posted: 18 July 2023 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

The barge hotel being brought into a harbour by Weymouth is going to be controversial. Up to 500 single men who can get bussed into town with no curfews ( other than they would like them back by 11 pm ).it’s costing a lot of money from the Home Office. Why can’t they beef up and speed up the process of these people not dump them and expect them to quietly comply. I can see trouble down there. I just hope our arrivals are indeed families 🙏 And still no sign of a policy from the government to address all this long term!



especially as they have just spent a fortune to extend the docking facility for cruise ships not much of a clash !


Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 18 July 2023 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

Immigration has nothing to do with Welsh labour , it's directed from Facist central in engerland...Beside Llanelli , today is a dark day for every UK resident ....big message sent to the world , showing there will be no care or consideration for anyone coming to the island ....It will take years for us to get out of the Russian , NK and china group of responsible nations ...The Rwanda process has also been ...at a massive cost ....UNCHR will be next ...let's hope the troops won't be captured in any future conflict as torture and no medical support are on the cards for them if caught behind enemy lines 
seriously   what do you think happened to uk troops caught by the ttaliban or iraqi insurgents? The isis mob would be even worse? Have a look at how the ira treated robert navraic rip  or the 2 lads caught at that ira funeral very few if any of the people we will have conflictt with abiide by the geneva convention to pretend otherwise is just daft. Mind you that is what we all expect from you so no big surpriseWink


Posted By: Oracle
Date Posted: 18 July 2023 at 6:11pm
That has to be the worst spelling I have ever seen , honestly 


Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 18 July 2023 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

That has to be the worst spelling I have ever seen , honestly 
i honesty and you are never seen in the same place sir Wink


Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 18 July 2023 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

Immigration has nothing to do with Welsh labour , it's directed from Facist central in engerland...Beside Llanelli , today is a dark day for every UK resident ....big message sent to the world , showing there will be no care or consideration for anyone coming to the island ....It will take years for us to get out of the Russian , NK and china group of responsible nations ...The Rwanda process has also been ...at a massive cost ....UNCHR will be next ...let's hope the troops won't be captured in any future conflict as torture and no medical support are on the cards for them if caught behind enemy lines 

It’s UN law. Matters sweet fa about any kind of political party. Every country has to adhere to it. 


Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 18 July 2023 at 6:38pm
It’s 250 people the fuss sone folk are making you’d swear it was 25,000.  It is Funny to see so many people in the town who consider themselves left leaning working class folk having a melt down over it. 


Posted By: Oracle
Date Posted: 18 July 2023 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

Immigration has nothing to do with Welsh labour , it's directed from Facist central in engerland...Beside Llanelli , today is a dark day for every UK resident ....big message sent to the world , showing there will be no care or consideration for anyone coming to the island ....It will take years for us to get out of the Russian , NK and china group of responsible nations ...The Rwanda process has also been ...at a massive cost ....UNCHR will be next ...let's hope the troops won't be captured in any future conflict as torture and no medical support are on the cards for them if caught behind enemy lines 

It’s UN law. Matters sweet fa about any kind of political party. Every country has to adhere to it. 
Russia , china , Belarus and nk have opted out of it , and the Tories want the UK to do the same 


Posted By: Oracle
Date Posted: 18 July 2023 at 6:47pm
The barges have had to be returned as their dimensions are to big for the designated docking locations ....£1.6 billion contract given to the company to produce them ....only one company chosen as no others were allowed ...and surprise surprise,the owner is a big donar to the Tory party or what ever ever they are today 


Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 18 July 2023 at 7:39pm
Got a link to confirm?


Posted By: Oracle
Date Posted: 18 July 2023 at 7:42pm
https://twitter.com/Juliest101/status/1681320606602608641?t=GJqH2jTE-AG1s9LOiCpf3Q&s=19%20" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/Juliest101/status/1681320606602608641?t=GJqH2jTE-AG1s9LOiCpf3Q&s=19

Don't go inviting the bits you don't like , we all know what you are normally like , economical with the truth 


Posted By: Oracle
Date Posted: 18 July 2023 at 7:44pm
Just a bit of breaking news 

https://www.unhcr.org/news/press-releases/uk-illegal-migration-bill-un-refugee-agency-and-un-human-rights-office-warn" rel="nofollow - https://www.unhcr.org/news/press-releases/uk-illegal-migration-bill-un-refugee-agency-and-un-human-rights-office-warn



Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 18 July 2023 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

https://twitter.com/Juliest101/status/1681320606602608641?t=GJqH2jTE-AG1s9LOiCpf3Q&s=19%20" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/Juliest101/status/1681320606602608641?t=GJqH2jTE-AG1s9LOiCpf3Q&s=19

Don't go inviting the bits you don't like , we all know what you are normally like , economical with the truth 
doesn’t mention anything about size just that liveroool won’t let it dock?? And wherers your figure pf £.6 billion come from?


Posted By: Oracle
Date Posted: 18 July 2023 at 8:01pm
It's 1.6 billion btw 


Posted By: Oracle
Date Posted: 18 July 2023 at 8:35pm
https://twitter.com/chezmik/status/1670193149002522625?t=S4OSoh3UBeyXckwC-tdVhw&s=19%20" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/chezmik/status/1670193149002522625?t=S4OSoh3UBeyXckwC-tdVhw&s=19


Posted By: scarletpimp
Date Posted: 19 July 2023 at 12:36am
It was an interesting programme  tonight on ITV, and I hope a few on SF took a look.
It was apparently, pretty quickly how inappropriate the accommodation at Stradey Park Hotel is going to be, particularly, as it no longer an hotel. Its not best for the community ,or the refugees.
neither are served well by these Home Office proposals.

I thought Robert Lloyd , the spokesperson, for the local protest group, spoke really well.
Sensible, balanced and rational.
He mentioned , as I did in my last post of Wales and Llanelli's proud record of welcoming immigrants,
So many from Italy, settled here after the war, and more recently and influx of polish, Philippine and Ukrainian.
Many of these people have made a huge impact and contribution ton the fabric of welsh life.
My next door neighbours are Polish and are a fabulous family. The three adults all work in low paid jobs, working quite long hours.
My barber Sam, (opposite the bus station)is a Syrian, from Homs. He could see what Assad was doing and fled with his family, while he could !  His brother and parents stayed , but the likelihood of him seeing them again, in person, is slim. He started working here for another hairdresser , but he bought the guy out and now the business is thriving, he's  employing others.

Robert Lloyd also mentioned that he has tried to speak to the the management of the Stradey park Hotel, hoping to find some answers, which the community is entitled to.
Absolutely zero response from them, which is shocking.
 The way the home office and this firm operate undermines the very essence of what should be happening, which is transparency, communication and wholesale cooperation, between government, local authorities and local communities, to make the most of a difficult situation, while the asylum applications are assessed.
On top of that , to have sacked local people and undermined an important business in the west wales economy is a disgrace!

I will finish with a little tale of immigration and something which happened 17 years ago.
In 2006 ,my family and were on holiday in Croatia. part of the holiday was to enjoy the cultural and historical elements of places like Dubrovnik . part of the that holiday we travelled around to other regions, like Montenegro and Bosnia.
While on the way to Mostar , a place shattered by the futility of war, we met Lucca , a Bosnian Croat.
We knew what had happened at Srebrenica(8,000 men and boys slaughtered), but Lucca took us to a place where people from his village ,men women, and even children, were rounded up and shot.
The surviving women in hiding were raped , and then shot.
The incident had a profound effect on me ,and made me consider the wider implications who we are are in the wider scheme of things, and our humanity and commitment to other human beings and all living things.
The sting in the tale (tail), is interesting. Years later , I was recovering from prostate cancer surgery, and the consultant came to talk to me. We had had chatted , prior to surgery, but basic stuff, about what was going to happen. Afterwards he told me his family were from Blatnica, , 15 miles from Mostar and had fled the war, when he was quite young, eventually coming to the UK. Many others in his family perished

This man probably saved my life, so I need to thankful to an immigration, and some of the wonderful people it has brought to this country 




-------------
I stood yer on tanner bank


Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 19 July 2023 at 7:06am
Thanks for that précis, Pimp, especially your personal experiences.

Re the Stradey Park Hotel, is it still planning to go ahead with taking in the refugees or does the breach of its planning permissions prevent that and it’s gone from not being a hotel to not being anything, apart from needing to be turned back into a hotel?


-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.


Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 19 July 2023 at 7:21am
With regard to the barges the only thing I have read is that they were refused docking facilities - nothing about dimension issues. That doesn't, of course, absolve the government who really should have had agreements in place with port authorities before spending vast amounts of tax payer funds. 

It appears that the spending spree started during covid continues with very little control being exercised by those in responsibility. Surely the buck stops with the Home Secretary & the Chancellor. 


Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 19 July 2023 at 8:22am
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

https://twitter.com/chezmik/status/1670193149002522625?t=S4OSoh3UBeyXckwC-tdVhw&s=19%20" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/chezmik/status/1670193149002522625?t=S4OSoh3UBeyXckwC-tdVhw&s=19
so wheere does that say the ships are too big? Where does that say this firn manufactured these ships? As per your clam?


Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 19 July 2023 at 9:41am
Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

It was an interesting programme  tonight on ITV, and I hope a few on SF took a look.
It was apparently, pretty quickly how inappropriate the accommodation at Stradey Park Hotel is going to be, particularly, as it no longer an hotel. Its not best for the community ,or the refugees.
neither are served well by these Home Office proposals.

I thought Robert Lloyd , the spokesperson, for the local protest group, spoke really well.
Sensible, balanced and rational.
He mentioned , as I did in my last post of Wales and Llanelli's proud record of welcoming immigrants,
So many from Italy, settled here after the war, and more recently and influx of polish, Philippine and Ukrainian.
Many of these people have made a huge impact and contribution ton the fabric of welsh life.
My next door neighbours are Polish and are a fabulous family. The three adults all work in low paid jobs, working quite long hours.
My barber Sam, (opposite the bus station)is a Syrian, from Homs. He could see what Assad was doing and fled with his family, while he could !  His brother and parents stayed , but the likelihood of him seeing them again, in person, is slim. He started working here for another hairdresser , but he bought the guy out and now the business is thriving, he's  employing others.

Robert Lloyd also mentioned that he has tried to speak to the the management of the Stradey park Hotel, hoping to find some answers, which the community is entitled to.
Absolutely zero response from them, which is shocking.
 The way the home office and this firm operate undermines the very essence of what should be happening, which is transparency, communication and wholesale cooperation, between government, local authorities and local communities, to make the most of a difficult situation, while the asylum applications are assessed.
On top of that , to have sacked local people and undermined an important business in the west wales economy is a disgrace!

I will finish with a little tale of immigration and something which happened 17 years ago.
In 2006 ,my family and were on holiday in Croatia. part of the holiday was to enjoy the cultural and historical elements of places like Dubrovnik . part of the that holiday we travelled around to other regions, like Montenegro and Bosnia.
While on the way to Mostar , a place shattered by the futility of war, we met Lucca , a Bosnian Croat.
We knew what had happened at Srebrenica(8,000 men and boys slaughtered), but Lucca took us to a place where people from his village ,men women, and even children, were rounded up and shot.
The surviving women in hiding were raped , and then shot.
The incident had a profound effect on me ,and made me consider the wider implications who we are are in the wider scheme of things, and our humanity and commitment to other human beings and all living things.
The sting in the tale (tail), is interesting. Years later , I was recovering from prostate cancer surgery, and the consultant came to talk to me. We had had chatted , prior to surgery, but basic stuff, about what was going to happen. Afterwards he told me his family were from Blatnica, , 15 miles from Mostar and had fled the war, when he was quite young, eventually coming to the UK. Many others in his family perished

This man probably saved my life, so I need to thankful to an immigration, and some of the wonderful people it has brought to this country 


on a side note i served in the balkams, after all the worst stuff though. We should have used the turmoil caused by the power vacum after tito’s death as a forshadowing of what happens when guys like saddam and gadaffi are replaced with no thought of what comes next


Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 19 July 2023 at 10:05am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

It was an interesting programme  tonight on ITV, and I hope a few on SF took a look.
It was apparently, pretty quickly how inappropriate the accommodation at Stradey Park Hotel is going to be, particularly, as it no longer an hotel. Its not best for the community ,or the refugees.
neither are served well by these Home Office proposals.

I thought Robert Lloyd , the spokesperson, for the local protest group, spoke really well.
Sensible, balanced and rational.
He mentioned , as I did in my last post of Wales and Llanelli's proud record of welcoming immigrants,
So many from Italy, settled here after the war, and more recently and influx of polish, Philippine and Ukrainian.
Many of these people have made a huge impact and contribution ton the fabric of welsh life.
My next door neighbours are Polish and are a fabulous family. The three adults all work in low paid jobs, working quite long hours.
My barber Sam, (opposite the bus station)is a Syrian, from Homs. He could see what Assad was doing and fled with his family, while he could !  His brother and parents stayed , but the likelihood of him seeing them again, in person, is slim. He started working here for another hairdresser , but he bought the guy out and now the business is thriving, he's  employing others.

Robert Lloyd also mentioned that he has tried to speak to the the management of the Stradey park Hotel, hoping to find some answers, which the community is entitled to.
Absolutely zero response from them, which is shocking.
 The way the home office and this firm operate undermines the very essence of what should be happening, which is transparency, communication and wholesale cooperation, between government, local authorities and local communities, to make the most of a difficult situation, while the asylum applications are assessed.
On top of that , to have sacked local people and undermined an important business in the west wales economy is a disgrace!

I will finish with a little tale of immigration and something which happened 17 years ago.
In 2006 ,my family and were on holiday in Croatia. part of the holiday was to enjoy the cultural and historical elements of places like Dubrovnik . part of the that holiday we travelled around to other regions, like Montenegro and Bosnia.
While on the way to Mostar , a place shattered by the futility of war, we met Lucca , a Bosnian Croat.
We knew what had happened at Srebrenica(8,000 men and boys slaughtered), but Lucca took us to a place where people from his village ,men women, and even children, were rounded up and shot.
The surviving women in hiding were raped , and then shot.
The incident had a profound effect on me ,and made me consider the wider implications who we are are in the wider scheme of things, and our humanity and commitment to other human beings and all living things.
The sting in the tale (tail), is interesting. Years later , I was recovering from prostate cancer surgery, and the consultant came to talk to me. We had had chatted , prior to surgery, but basic stuff, about what was going to happen. Afterwards he told me his family were from Blatnica, , 15 miles from Mostar and had fled the war, when he was quite young, eventually coming to the UK. Many others in his family perished

This man probably saved my life, so I need to thankful to an immigration, and some of the wonderful people it has brought to this country 


on a side note i served in the balkams, after all the worst stuff though. We should have used the turmoil caused by the power vacum after tito’s death as a forshadowing of what happens when guys like saddam and gadaffi are replaced with no thought of what comes next

Thumbs Up


Posted By: scarletpimp
Date Posted: 19 July 2023 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

It was an interesting programme  tonight on ITV, and I hope a few on SF took a look.
It was apparently, pretty quickly how inappropriate the accommodation at Stradey Park Hotel is going to be, particularly, as it no longer an hotel. Its not best for the community ,or the refugees.
neither are served well by these Home Office proposals.

I thought Robert Lloyd , the spokesperson, for the local protest group, spoke really well.
Sensible, balanced and rational.
He mentioned , as I did in my last post of Wales and Llanelli's proud record of welcoming immigrants,
So many from Italy, settled here after the war, and more recently and influx of polish, Philippine and Ukrainian.
Many of these people have made a huge impact and contribution ton the fabric of welsh life.
My next door neighbours are Polish and are a fabulous family. The three adults all work in low paid jobs, working quite long hours.
My barber Sam, (opposite the bus station)is a Syrian, from Homs. He could see what Assad was doing and fled with his family, while he could !  His brother and parents stayed , but the likelihood of him seeing them again, in person, is slim. He started working here for another hairdresser , but he bought the guy out and now the business is thriving, he's  employing others.

Robert Lloyd also mentioned that he has tried to speak to the the management of the Stradey park Hotel, hoping to find some answers, which the community is entitled to.
Absolutely zero response from them, which is shocking.
 The way the home office and this firm operate undermines the very essence of what should be happening, which is transparency, communication and wholesale cooperation, between government, local authorities and local communities, to make the most of a difficult situation, while the asylum applications are assessed.
On top of that , to have sacked local people and undermined an important business in the west wales economy is a disgrace!

I will finish with a little tale of immigration and something which happened 17 years ago.
In 2006 ,my family and were on holiday in Croatia. part of the holiday was to enjoy the cultural and historical elements of places like Dubrovnik . part of the that holiday we travelled around to other regions, like Montenegro and Bosnia.
While on the way to Mostar , a place shattered by the futility of war, we met Lucca , a Bosnian Croat.
We knew what had happened at Srebrenica(8,000 men and boys slaughtered), but Lucca took us to a place where people from his village ,men women, and even children, were rounded up and shot.
The surviving women in hiding were raped , and then shot.
The incident had a profound effect on me ,and made me consider the wider implications who we are are in the wider scheme of things, and our humanity and commitment to other human beings and all living things.
The sting in the tale (tail), is interesting. Years later , I was recovering from prostate cancer surgery, and the consultant came to talk to me. We had had chatted , prior to surgery, but basic stuff, about what was going to happen. Afterwards he told me his family were from Blatnica, , 15 miles from Mostar and had fled the war, when he was quite young, eventually coming to the UK. Many others in his family perished

This man probably saved my life, so I need to thankful to an immigration, and some of the wonderful people it has brought to this country 


on a side note i served in the balkams, after all the worst stuff though. We should have used the turmoil caused by the power vacum after tito’s death as a forshadowing of what happens when guys like saddam and gadaffi are replaced with no thought of what comes next

Thumbs Up

Good point RR, I totally agree.These places are worse now, than before the conflicts,unstable, lawless. Living under tyrants must have been awful, but as long as you kept your mouth shut it was " safe" , in the general sense. I have met people from Libya, who have told me this, I think its the same in Iraq.

This of course has no direct link to the Stradey Park Hotel, and I do no want to move the thread away from the core focus.
We need to understand  however,  what people are facing , and why so many are risking their lives  and the lives of their children,  in perilous  waters, sometimes in the most treacherous  conditions,  in boats totally  unsuitable .
You are not going to stop the boats coming , whatever madcap Braverman,  and weakling Sunak plan.

We need to be better prepared,  and working with greater commitment, with the French to  crack down on the illegal traffickers ,
difficult  though it may be.
By sifting through with greater speed, who is a genuine asylum seeker, and whom is an economic migrants is essential. 
It could be that economic migrants  are given short term employment visa's to help tye labour market, picking fruit, us currently  a massive headache,  in the South east, but therecother things too.
Asylum seekers are in  a different  category,  and their short and long term future is assessed  using other criteria, such their their safety, and where they have come from.

This is a hugely  complex issue, where language  and emotion  can get out of hand.
What we cannot have in Llanelli  is far right groups,  many from outside  the area hijacking the situation  for their own racist agena, filled with vitriol and hate.
Local people in Furnace however, righly have concerns,  and these should  be addressed by the home office, and they are not ATM.
The situation  has been handled  badly.






-------------
I stood yer on tanner bank


Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 19 July 2023 at 11:12pm
Robert Lloyd is a hypocritical self pleasurer. The far right poo he lets go on in his Facebook group makes me spew. He should be ashamed of himself. Mr finger in every pie. 


Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 19 July 2023 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Robert Lloyd is a hypocrite. The far right poo he lets go on in his Facebook group is out of order. 

Come on SA give him a break. I have to strongly disagree with your unreasonable personal attack on Rob Lloyd.Rob is a democrat and a decent man and he doesn’t own “ his group “ . He is the facilitator. I know he dislikes the zealots and has been trying to keep some sort of focus in the opposition. He’s only just back in action after a heart attack and months out of action. If I was him I would let others get on with the stress of it. His experience as a newspaper man and PR man has been invaluable and he is just an unpaid volunteer remember. The only thing I think we may agree with is that he is possibly too tolerant of the zealots but frankly,he’s damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t ! He’s stepped up and done his best. The villains here are the Home Office and hotel owners.


Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 20 July 2023 at 10:54am
He’s admin of the group and therefore should delete some of the racist and xenophobic posts on there. By the way my apologies I went a bit ott. I stand by my views the group he’s in charge of is out of control. 


Posted By: Oracle
Date Posted: 20 July 2023 at 1:59pm
I'll have a chat with smellymike , 4 cans of Stella and that site would be sorted Wink


Posted By: scarletpimp
Date Posted: 20 July 2023 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Robert Lloyd is a hypocrite. The far right poo he lets go on in his Facebook group is out of order. 

Come on SA give him a break. I have to strongly disagree with your unreasonable personal attack on Rob Lloyd.Rob is a democrat and a decent man and he doesn’t own “ his group “ . He is the facilitator. I know he dislikes the zealots and has been trying to keep some sort of focus in the opposition. He’s only just back in action after a heart attack and months out of action. If I was him I would let others get on with the stress of it. His experience as a newspaper man and PR man has been invaluable and he is just an unpaid volunteer remember. The only thing I think we may agree with is that he is possibly too tolerant of the zealots but frankly,he’s damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t ! He’s stepped up and done his best. The villains here are the Home Office and hotel owners.

I do'nt do any social media, other than SF, so have no idea what's been said, and to be honest I do'nt want to know.
I agree with Reesy, however, the villains here are the Home Office and Hotel owners.
Robert Lloyd , as I mentioned in my previous post,  spoke well, rationally, and sensibly on the ITV programme this week. 
I think he spoke for a number of ordinary concerned Furnace residents.
If there are far right zealots latching on to local protest  groups that's another matter.
These people hold repugnant views, which are racist, and in some cases what they is illegal, by stoking the fire of racial hatred.

We heed to keep level heads at this difficult  time, and speak with one voice against what Braverman  and Co are cooking up.


-------------
I stood yer on tanner bank


Posted By: thommo
Date Posted: 20 July 2023 at 3:07pm
The idiots who claim to be the Voice of Wales, wearing Union Jack t shirts are causing a lot of hatred. They are not my voice nor is Ian Hamilton, Katie Hopkins etc.
They are doing our town a disservice. We don't need these parasites spreading fear and lies.


Posted By: Oracle
Date Posted: 20 July 2023 at 3:49pm
Who owns /runs the hotel , are they local or an engerland based company 


Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 20 July 2023 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

Who owns /runs the hotel , are they local or an engerland based company 
Investment company based in Essex. No local interest or connection. Just there to raise money for their investors. 


Posted By: Oracle
Date Posted: 20 July 2023 at 5:36pm
Thought so 


Posted By: scarletpimp
Date Posted: 20 July 2023 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

The idiots who claim to be the Voice of Wales, wearing Union Jack t shirts are causing a lot of hatred. They are not my voice nor is Ian Hamilton, Katie Hopkins etc.
They are doing our town a disservice. We don't need these parasites spreading fear and lies.
Well said Thommo!
Similarly,  we do'nt need the parasites running the hotel.


-------------
I stood yer on tanner bank


Posted By: Oracle
Date Posted: 20 July 2023 at 6:42pm
ClapClap


Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 28 July 2023 at 12:29pm
Injunction granted against the protesters. Reading what they said in court they shot themselves in the foot. The attitude of some of the protesters and their racist and homophobic remarks on social media and at the hotel played right into the companies hands. The ones with an agenda there spoilt it all. I hope they realise that. 



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net