Print Page | Close Window

Politics on Scarlets General

Printed From: Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets
Category: RUGBY
Forum Name: SCARLETS GENERAL
Forum Description: Team News, Season Tickets, Next Match
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47408
Printed Date: 23 April 2024 at 5:38am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: Politics on Scarlets General
Posted By: minded
Subject: Politics on Scarlets General
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 1:00am
For the longest time now, to the point where it has ruined my enjoyable of the forum as a whole, there has been a massive split in the political landscape in threads within the Chat Room section.

Personally, for years now i have simply ignored reading these threads as i find some of your views abhorrent yet seemingly in the majority. It is not a forum dedicated to my views alone and therefore i have left it be, and for the most part the posts have been confined to the chat section where i don't have to delve as this is a RUGBY FORUM first and foremost. Many of you would do well to remember that.

Comments have now begun creep into the rugby sections of this forum and while i've turned a blind eye previously, I'm sick to the guts of seeing political comments now when i want to read about squad makeup or simply the kits for next season.

Any further political led comments (regardless of what "side" you're on) are going to result in a 3 day suspension.
Further comments within Scarlets General or General Rugby will result in a ban.


-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2022



Replies:
Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 1:03am
Beyond this, if it doesn't improve I'll simply remove the chat section also and ban politic posts altogether

Go join a political forum if you want to discuss your views so badly.


-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2022


Posted By: Oracle
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 7:43am
I'm sorry you don't like political views , as it affects us all in all facets of life ...often they may be added as an attempt to lighten the conversation or a an in joke of a conversation . Other times it's a vent by a poster at the frustration of perhaps a personal situation .
The forum used to be a family affair (or that's what some of us thought , perhaps foolishly ) but obviously the strong arm tactics by yourself in the latest post , seems to contradict that point .
I'm not sure as to your tactics but debate and sometimes passionate debate is not a bad thing , but within 24 hrs the passion as subsided and all posters are friends again .
As Mr Chips said there is nothing going on with welsh rugby currently , so posting can encompass all types of topic .
Your Draconian response to many posters on here is so so disappointing , and I'm sure that a lot of posters will be confused by it ....Maybe you have been privately messaged by certain posters , but again your that's your business not ours ....
So what does the future hold for ordinary members , a potential ban for talking about certain topics , the sword of Damocles hanging over everyone , will ensure the end of this site , which would be a shame ......
Perhaps more frightingly you have taken it apon yourself to be become Llanelli's version of Elon musk , where political views that don't align with yours are censored......
Will we be seeing a new name ,if so can I suggest not using the title of 'X' but use 'Y' because I sense that is what most of the posters will be asking is the reason behind this strange behaviour ...
What a start for a Monday morning 


Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 8:48am
always thought this was a rugby forum and politics. just getting pretty bored with it leaking on here now. seems like every topic goes too it. 
do agree with mended, if you want to talk about politics go to a politics message board.


-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!


Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 10:01am
Being able to converse about just rugby matters on a thread in Scarlets General (or any of the other rugby threads on the forum) and anything else on the Chat pages or other sports page etc, shouldn't really test anyone's ability to differentiate between them.

So I can only assume that it's boredom, mischief or a deliberate misdirection when rugby threads get laced with politics etc..

Sorry it's had to come to a moderator intervention, but at the same time it was necessary when there's just total and repeated disregard for the base guidelines of a rugby forum by a very small minority of members.



Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

I'm sorry you don't like political views , as it affects us all in all facets of life ...often they may be added as an attempt to lighten the conversation or a an in joke of a conversation . Other times it's a vent by a poster at the frustration of perhaps a personal situation .
The forum used to be a family affair (or that's what some of us thought , perhaps foolishly ) but obviously the strong arm tactics by yourself in the latest post , seems to contradict that point .
I'm not sure as to your tactics but debate and sometimes passionate debate is not a bad thing , but within 24 hrs the passion as subsided and all posters are friends again .
As Mr Chips said there is nothing going on with welsh rugby currently , so posting can encompass all types of topic .
Your Draconian response to many posters on here is so so disappointing , and I'm sure that a lot of posters will be confused by it ....Maybe you have been privately messaged by certain posters , but again your that's your business not ours ....
So what does the future hold for ordinary members , a potential ban for talking about certain topics , the sword of Damocles hanging over everyone , will ensure the end of this site , which would be a shame ......
Perhaps more frightingly you have taken it apon yourself to be become Llanelli's version of Elon musk , where political views that don't align with yours are censored......
Will we be seeing a new name ,if so can I suggest not using the title of 'X' but use 'Y' because I sense that is what most of the posters will be asking is the reason behind this strange behaviour ...
What a start for a Monday morning 



This is an absolute load of bilge for the most part chap. The only fact in it is that it is indeed Monday morning.

You're the main protagonist of this issue, and so maybe it's not the forum you once thought it was, or time away from it has added some embellishment or enchantment. Either way you might want to consider Gwlad?


Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

I'm sorry you don't like political views , as it affects us all in all facets of life ...often they may be added as an attempt to lighten the conversation or a an in joke of a conversation . Other times it's a vent by a poster at the frustration of perhaps a personal situation .
The forum used to be a family affair (or that's what some of us thought , perhaps foolishly ) but obviously the strong arm tactics by yourself in the latest post , seems to contradict that point .
I'm not sure as to your tactics but debate and sometimes passionate debate is not a bad thing , but within 24 hrs the passion as subsided and all posters are friends again .
As Mr Chips said there is nothing going on with welsh rugby currently , so posting can encompass all types of topic .
Your Draconian response to many posters on here is so so disappointing , and I'm sure that a lot of posters will be confused by it ....Maybe you have been privately messaged by certain posters , but again your that's your business not ours ....
So what does the future hold for ordinary members , a potential ban for talking about certain topics , the sword of Damocles hanging over everyone , will ensure the end of this site , which would be a shame ......
Perhaps more frightingly you have taken it apon yourself to be become Llanelli's version of Elon musk , where political views that don't align with yours are censored......
Will we be seeing a new name ,if so can I suggest not using the title of 'X' but use 'Y' because I sense that is what most of the posters will be asking is the reason behind this strange behaviour ...
What a start for a Monday morning 
I would think the majority of people visit this forum for news, rumours and opinions on the rugby team they support.

As stated, happy for politics threads to be kept it in the Chat Room section where people have the option to read if they choose, I certainly won't be, but if people are coming on a rugby forum to mainly post about politics then it might be best they go off to the actual Elon Musk and his platform.


-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2022


Posted By: Oracle
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

I'm sorry you don't like political views , as it affects us all in all facets of life ...often they may be added as an attempt to lighten the conversation or a an in joke of a conversation . Other times it's a vent by a poster at the frustration of perhaps a personal situation .
The forum used to be a family affair (or that's what some of us thought , perhaps foolishly ) but obviously the strong arm tactics by yourself in the latest post , seems to contradict that point .
I'm not sure as to your tactics but debate and sometimes passionate debate is not a bad thing , but within 24 hrs the passion as subsided and all posters are friends again .
As Mr Chips said there is nothing going on with welsh rugby currently , so posting can encompass all types of topic .
Your Draconian response to many posters on here is so so disappointing , and I'm sure that a lot of posters will be confused by it ....Maybe you have been privately messaged by certain posters , but again your that's your business not ours ....
So what does the future hold for ordinary members , a potential ban for talking about certain topics , the sword of Damocles hanging over everyone , will ensure the end of this site , which would be a shame ......
Perhaps more frightingly you have taken it apon yourself to be become Llanelli's version of Elon musk , where political views that don't align with yours are censored......
Will we be seeing a new name ,if so can I suggest not using the title of 'X' but use 'Y' because I sense that is what most of the posters will be asking is the reason behind this strange behaviour ...
What a start for a Monday morning 



This is an absolute load of bilge for the most part chap. The only fact in it is that it is indeed Monday morning.

You're the main protagonist of this issue, and so maybe it's not the forum you once thought it was, or time away from it has added some embellishment or enchantment. Either way you might want to consider Gwlad?
Really , bilge ...I don't think so , just facts and nothing more , and by the way no one appreciates your derogatory 'chap ' statement ..cheap shots may be the norm in Kenya but they just make your comments even more innate 


Posted By: Dai Guevara
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 11:23am
If this thread is purely dedicated to Scarlets rugby why is it being used to threaten the banning any views "unacceptable" to you, the censor.


Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 11:28am
Dai there is no need to prolong this debate as it is totally counter productive which I am sure you are well aware of. Minded is an appointed member of this forum & all he has done is suggest to fellow members that they keep their comments relevant to the topic in question within the parameters set.

To paint him as some dictator sitting on high dispensing summary judgments is farcical. 


Posted By: sreve19
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 11:31am
Ban all politics from the forum. It's boring. It's a rugby forum. 


Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

I'm sorry you don't like political views , as it affects us all in all facets of life ...often they may be added as an attempt to lighten the conversation or a an in joke of a conversation . Other times it's a vent by a poster at the frustration of perhaps a personal situation .
The forum used to be a family affair (or that's what some of us thought , perhaps foolishly ) but obviously the strong arm tactics by yourself in the latest post , seems to contradict that point .
I'm not sure as to your tactics but debate and sometimes passionate debate is not a bad thing , but within 24 hrs the passion as subsided and all posters are friends again .
As Mr Chips said there is nothing going on with welsh rugby currently , so posting can encompass all types of topic .
Your Draconian response to many posters on here is so so disappointing , and I'm sure that a lot of posters will be confused by it ....Maybe you have been privately messaged by certain posters , but again your that's your business not ours ....
So what does the future hold for ordinary members , a potential ban for talking about certain topics , the sword of Damocles hanging over everyone , will ensure the end of this site , which would be a shame ......
Perhaps more frightingly you have taken it apon yourself to be become Llanelli's version of Elon musk , where political views that don't align with yours are censored......
Will we be seeing a new name ,if so can I suggest not using the title of 'X' but use 'Y' because I sense that is what most of the posters will be asking is the reason behind this strange behaviour ...
What a start for a Monday morning 



This is an absolute load of bilge for the most part chap. The only fact in it is that it is indeed Monday morning.

You're the main protagonist of this issue, and so maybe it's not the forum you once thought it was, or time away from it has added some embellishment or enchantment. Either way you might want to consider Gwlad?

Really , bilge ...I don't think so , just facts and nothing more , and by the way no one appreciates your derogatory 'chap ' statement ..cheap shots may be the norm in Kenya but they just make your comments even more innate 



Oh, if you find 'chap' a cheap shot and difficult, maybe Gwlad isn't for you either then.



Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

If this thread is purely dedicated to Scarlets rugby why is it being used to threaten the banning any views "unacceptable" to you, the censor.



It's because it's where you (and Oracle) decide it's appropriate for politicising it's Scarlets rugby threads.

You know this of course Dai.


Posted By: Dai Guevara
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 12:58pm
How can commenting on the logo on the Scarlets shirt not be political, if the logo itself is political? The 3 feathers logo says that the Scarlets support the feudal, undemocratic English royal family.
Have you taken a poll to see how many of our supporters agree?


Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 1:08pm
I dislike the 3 feathers emblem, but I can actually easily differentiate it from rugby and Scarlets support.

You obviously can't.

Take a poll by all means. There's a chat page for just that. It might at least scratch the itch.


Posted By: minded
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

How can commenting on the logo on the Scarlets shirt not be political, if the logo itself is political? The 3 feathers logo says that the Scarlets support the feudal, undemocratic English royal family.
Have you taken a poll to see how many of our supporters agree?
Your example is valid and quite happy for that to be debated and people to say how they feel about it as it directly relates to the club and us as supporters.
In the 2023-24 Squad thread there's been comments about Saudi money, brexit, immigrants etc., what does any of that have to do with our squad?


-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPnAh1r0V9YMx4LjUAXI1AUts5jgBck9u" rel="nofollow - Scarlets Tries of the Season 2009 - 2022


Posted By: turkishrebel
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 1:44pm
can we get back to rugby please. getting pretty boring

-------------
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!


Posted By: Mr Lee91
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 4:28pm
Some of the threads do get overly political and it does make it a hard read. 
I enjoy reading political content but when I want too, not when I come for rugby stuff.

Sometimes things just naturally mix and there will be instances where rugby and politics do mix.
It’s not as if you’re going to get a ban for making an odd comment. I believe these ‘bans’ will be for those who try to purposefully turn things political.

I’m hoping that posts like “I hate the oil4wales logo because of the monarchy and what it represents” will still be accepted.
It’s when you start going into detail and segwaying the thread that things need addressing.


-------------
As long as you win it once, you'll never be forgotten


Posted By: Exkixu
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

I'm sorry you don't like political views , as it affects us all in all facets of life ...often they may be added as an attempt to lighten the conversation or a an in joke of a conversation . Other times it's a vent by a poster at the frustration of perhaps a personal situation .
The forum used to be a family affair (or that's what some of us thought , perhaps foolishly ) but obviously the strong arm tactics by yourself in the latest post , seems to contradict that point .
I'm not sure as to your tactics but debate and sometimes passionate debate is not a bad thing , but within 24 hrs the passion as subsided and all posters are friends again .
As Mr Chips said there is nothing going on with welsh rugby currently , so posting can encompass all types of topic .
Your Draconian response to many posters on here is so so disappointing , and I'm sure that a lot of posters will be confused by it ....Maybe you have been privately messaged by certain posters , but again your that's your business not ours ....
So what does the future hold for ordinary members , a potential ban for talking about certain topics , the sword of Damocles hanging over everyone , will ensure the end of this site , which would be a shame ......
Perhaps more frightingly you have taken it apon yourself to be become Llanelli's version of Elon musk , where political views that don't align with yours are censored......
Will we be seeing a new name ,if so can I suggest not using the title of 'X' but use 'Y' because I sense that is what most of the posters will be asking is the reason behind this strange behaviour ...
What a start for a Monday morning 

Unlesss you had another user name before, you joined less than a year ago.

This forum is a family affair and a rather polite one exactly because no politics or swearing are allowed.

I'd refer you to Gwlad if you want to give (and receive) a dosis of either. Which is fine, just not what this site has ever been (or the last 15 years at least)


-------------
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member


Posted By: Dai Guevara
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 6:04pm
Let's have a rugby discussion then, but limiting the comments to one narrow rugby topic will be like telling fellow drinkers in a pub that they can only comment on the price of beer or shut up.


Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Let's have a rugby discussion then, but limiting the comments to one narrow rugby topic will be like telling fellow drinkers in a pub that they can only comment on the price of beer or shut up.
It’s oil for Wales logo if you disagree with it I suggest you protest outside their offices-and the offices of the WRU. It’s a local company supporting a local team, I bet they chose the logo not because as you say it highlights English suppression of the Welsh but because it is an emblem used by the Welsh rugby team. 
Why does everything have to have an agenda to it. 


-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.


Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Exkixu Exkixu wrote:

Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

I'm sorry you don't like political views , as it affects us all in all facets of life ...often they may be added as an attempt to lighten the conversation or a an in joke of a conversation . Other times it's a vent by a poster at the frustration of perhaps a personal situation .
The forum used to be a family affair (or that's what some of us thought , perhaps foolishly ) but obviously the strong arm tactics by yourself in the latest post , seems to contradict that point .
I'm not sure as to your tactics but debate and sometimes passionate debate is not a bad thing , but within 24 hrs the passion as subsided and all posters are friends again .
As Mr Chips said there is nothing going on with welsh rugby currently , so posting can encompass all types of topic .
Your Draconian response to many posters on here is so so disappointing , and I'm sure that a lot of posters will be confused by it ....Maybe you have been privately messaged by certain posters , but again your that's your business not ours ....
So what does the future hold for ordinary members , a potential ban for talking about certain topics , the sword of Damocles hanging over everyone , will ensure the end of this site , which would be a shame ......
Perhaps more frightingly you have taken it apon yourself to be become Llanelli's version of Elon musk , where political views that don't align with yours are censored......
Will we be seeing a new name ,if so can I suggest not using the title of 'X' but use 'Y' because I sense that is what most of the posters will be asking is the reason behind this strange behaviour ...
What a start for a Monday morning 

Unlesss you had another user name before, you joined less than a year ago.

This forum is a family affair and a rather polite one exactly because no politics or swearing are allowed.

I'd refer you to Gwlad if you want to give (and receive) a dosis of either. Which is fine, just not what this site has ever been (or the last 15 years at least)
The Oracle/Smelly Mike are old legends on SF and it’s a shame to see someone feel that they have to go but if you feel it’s not right for you any longer then I respect their decision to leave 


Posted By: Dai Guevara
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Let's have a rugby discussion then, but limiting the comments to one narrow rugby topic will be like telling fellow drinkers in a pub that they can only comment on the price of beer or shut up.

It’s oil for Wales logo if you disagree with it I suggest you protest outside their offices-and the offices of the WRU. It’s a local company supporting a local team, I bet they chose the logo not because as you say it highlights English suppression of the Welsh but because it is an emblem used by the Welsh rugby team. 
Why does everything have to have an agenda to it. 


Ah yes, Oil for Wales is so infatuated by the WRU's brilliant policies and performance that it had to copy their logo. Why didn't I think of that?


Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 10:55pm
I was pleased to note from their website that within the next 6 months Oil4Wales is rebranding as Green4 Wales and using a form of vegetable oils as oil certainly for domestic use . The three feathers will be green not red and there are a couple of green leaves on the logo. Good phased step forward 


Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 31 July 2023 at 11:17pm
Are there a few topics with political posts that I’ve missed? I only saw it on the kit thread and it was hardly prime minister’s question time. 


Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 01 August 2023 at 5:30am
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Let's have a rugby discussion then, but limiting the comments to one narrow rugby topic will be like telling fellow drinkers in a pub that they can only comment on the price of beer or shut up.

It’s oil for Wales logo if you disagree with it I suggest you protest outside their offices-and the offices of the WRU. It’s a local company supporting a local team, I bet they chose the logo not because as you say it highlights English suppression of the Welsh but because it is an emblem used by the Welsh rugby team. 
Why does everything have to have an agenda to it. 


Ah yes, Oil for Wales is so infatuated by the WRU's brilliant policies and performance that it had to copy their logo. Why didn't I think of that?
You are like a politician,  where did I say that, you really can be quite silly at times. 


-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.


Posted By: Dai Guevara
Date Posted: 01 August 2023 at 5:34am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Let's have a rugby discussion then, but limiting the comments to one narrow rugby topic will be like telling fellow drinkers in a pub that they can only comment on the price of beer or shut up.

It’s oil for Wales logo if you disagree with it I suggest you protest outside their offices-and the offices of the WRU. It’s a local company supporting a local team, I bet they chose the logo not because as you say it highlights English suppression of the Welsh but because it is an emblem used by the Welsh rugby team. 
Why does everything have to have an agenda to it. 


Ah yes, Oil for Wales is so infatuated by the WRU's brilliant policies and performance that it had to copy their logo. Why didn't I think of that?

You are like a politician,  where did I say that, you really can be quite silly at times. 


As usual, name calling comes when you run out of arguments.


Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 01 August 2023 at 6:38am
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Let's have a rugby discussion then, but limiting the comments to one narrow rugby topic will be like telling fellow drinkers in a pub that they can only comment on the price of beer or shut up.

It’s oil for Wales logo if you disagree with it I suggest you protest outside their offices-and the offices of the WRU. It’s a local company supporting a local team, I bet they chose the logo not because as you say it highlights English suppression of the Welsh but because it is an emblem used by the Welsh rugby team. 
Why does everything have to have an agenda to it. 


Ah yes, Oil for Wales is so infatuated by the WRU's brilliant policies and performance that it had to copy their logo. Why didn't I think of that?

You are like a politician,  where did I say that, you really can be quite silly at times. 


As usual, name calling comes when you run out of arguments.

Dai - I think we can all understand your anti Oil4Wales logo stance & in my opinion you were perfectly entitled to make your comments on the new kit thread. Unfortunately Oracle - my old sparring partner - took the issue a little too far for which, let us all agree, he has some previous.

Personally I will be sad to see him go as overall I have enjoyed my banter with him. However his leaving has nothing to do with unfair or dictatorial rules just good common sense application of the rules by which we all abide. 


Posted By: Exkixu
Date Posted: 01 August 2023 at 9:57am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by Exkixu Exkixu wrote:

Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

I'm sorry you don't like political views , as it affects us all in all facets of life ...often they may be added as an attempt to lighten the conversation or a an in joke of a conversation . Other times it's a vent by a poster at the frustration of perhaps a personal situation .
The forum used to be a family affair (or that's what some of us thought , perhaps foolishly ) but obviously the strong arm tactics by yourself in the latest post , seems to contradict that point .
I'm not sure as to your tactics but debate and sometimes passionate debate is not a bad thing , but within 24 hrs the passion as subsided and all posters are friends again .
As Mr Chips said there is nothing going on with welsh rugby currently , so posting can encompass all types of topic .
Your Draconian response to many posters on here is so so disappointing , and I'm sure that a lot of posters will be confused by it ....Maybe you have been privately messaged by certain posters , but again your that's your business not ours ....
So what does the future hold for ordinary members , a potential ban for talking about certain topics , the sword of Damocles hanging over everyone , will ensure the end of this site , which would be a shame ......
Perhaps more frightingly you have taken it apon yourself to be become Llanelli's version of Elon musk , where political views that don't align with yours are censored......
Will we be seeing a new name ,if so can I suggest not using the title of 'X' but use 'Y' because I sense that is what most of the posters will be asking is the reason behind this strange behaviour ...
What a start for a Monday morning 

Unlesss you had another user name before, you joined less than a year ago.

This forum is a family affair and a rather polite one exactly because no politics or swearing are allowed.

I'd refer you to Gwlad if you want to give (and receive) a dosis of either. Which is fine, just not what this site has ever been (or the last 15 years at least)
The Oracle/Smelly Mike are old legends on SF and it’s a shame to see someone feel that they have to go but if you feel it’s not right for you any longer then I respect their decision to leave 

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time...

I can't quite reconcile one poster with the other mind, but each to their own. I hardly post anymore and people change. The forum, for the most part, has not. I prefer it that way.


-------------
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member


Posted By: Why
Date Posted: 01 August 2023 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Let's have a rugby discussion then, but limiting the comments to one narrow rugby topic will be like telling fellow drinkers in a pub that they can only comment on the price of beer or shut up.

It’s oil for Wales logo if you disagree with it I suggest you protest outside their offices-and the offices of the WRU. It’s a local company supporting a local team, I bet they chose the logo not because as you say it highlights English suppression of the Welsh but because it is an emblem used by the Welsh rugby team. 
Why does everything have to have an agenda to it. 


Ah yes, Oil for Wales is so infatuated by the WRU's brilliant policies and performance that it had to copy their logo. Why didn't I think of that?

You are like a politician,  where did I say that, you really can be quite silly at times. 


As usual, name calling comes when you run out of arguments.
Do you actually read what is written and what you reply. 


-------------
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.


Posted By: Dai Guevara
Date Posted: 01 August 2023 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Let's have a rugby discussion then, but limiting the comments to one narrow rugby topic will be like telling fellow drinkers in a pub that they can only comment on the price of beer or shut up.

It’s oil for Wales logo if you disagree with it I suggest you protest outside their offices-and the offices of the WRU. It’s a local company supporting a local team, I bet they chose the logo not because as you say it highlights English suppression of the Welsh but because it is an emblem used by the Welsh rugby team. 
Why does everything have to have an agenda to it. 


Ah yes, Oil for Wales is so infatuated by the WRU's brilliant policies and performance that it had to copy their logo. Why didn't I think of that?

You are like a politician,  where did I say that, you really can be quite silly at times. 


As usual, name calling comes when you run out of arguments.

Do you actually read what is written and what you reply. 

How dare you call me a politician and silly at that!!!


Posted By: sreve19
Date Posted: 02 August 2023 at 8:27pm
It's quiet simple if you have a political point you want to make just go on a political forum. It's not hard to understand. 


Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 02 August 2023 at 9:01pm
Whilst I agree this argument about Oil4Wales is a bit boring now, I must say that opinions about a huge logo on the front of our shirts is probably within the bounds of a rugby thread.

For other politics, there is a thread in the chat room.

I don't quite agree with Steve about choosing another forum, because people sort of know each other on here and might want to chat politics. I'm a massive political anorak, but try not to bore Scarlets General with my ranting


-------------
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh


Posted By: scarletpimp
Date Posted: 03 August 2023 at 2:04am
I used to just read Scarletfever for some time, because I found, and still do ,find it informative.

Now I have starting posting the last few years, my view is YES, its a rugby forum, and that's why most of us joined. Despite my frustration with occasional negativity( everyone is entitled to opinion), I hugely enjoy the 2matchday experience on SF, with dissection of the game, tactics. selection, officials etc.


I will say this however, the subsidiary strands , on politics, other sports, cooking and gardening and growing are fascinating. I contribute to most of these, and have learnt a hell of a lot from other contributors here.It adds colour and brings another dimension to the forum
I think the relationship between politics and sport can become blurred  at times, particularly when there emotive issues at stake , apartheid historically was one, and playing the world cup in Qatar, another. 

Regarding "Scarlets General" however, I think its fair that we just normally stick to issues regarding Scarlets , and goodness knows we normally have enough to discuss. A "political" element on here might involve a discussion on WRU, and their handling of the game in Wales.

Finally, my final point(to divert slightly) is this. 
I totally understand when scarlets are playing emotions are sometimes at a fever pith. together with frustration.
We MUST however respect each other as fellow Scarlets, whatever our views.
This is a forum and diversity makes it what it is, both in terms of content and informative comment
Scarlet fever is a wonderful thing, and through it I have made friends.
Long may it continue


-------------
I stood yer on tanner bank


Posted By: philturk
Date Posted: 03 August 2023 at 10:40am
I propose we take a vote on whether or not we allow freedom of speech to include political views being aired - use the below emojis to vote

All those in favour of freedom of speech Smile
All those against Cry
All those in favour of an autocratic admin leadership (dictatorship) Exclamation
All those who don't give a stuff and are able to choose which posts they ignore / interact with Star
Other voting options also available.....


Posted By: Dai Guevara
Date Posted: 03 August 2023 at 10:51am
My final comment on this. If the Scarlets are prepared to have a logo, at the heart of its shirt, which makes a huge political point, then the link between that political standpoint and the Scarlets has already been made. To prevent/discourage criticism of it, is to support that standpoint.
I certainly won't be buying that shirt for myself or anyone else.


Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 03 August 2023 at 11:47am
Originally posted by philturk philturk wrote:

I propose we take a vote on whether or not we allow freedom of speech to include political views being aired - use the below emojis to vote

All those in favour of freedom of speech Smile
All those against Cry
All those in favour of an autocratic admin leadership (dictatorship) Exclamation
All those who don't give a stuff and are able to choose which posts they ignore / interact with Star
Other voting options also available.....

Which option do you support or is the answer in the term autocratic admin leadership (dictatorship) comment. All social media sites require rules and therefore some level of policing those rules. If you ever want to see the danger of a free for all tune into Twitter sometime. In my opinion this whole issue has been blown out of all proportion and it is high time the forum returned to some form of normality. 


Posted By: philturk
Date Posted: 03 August 2023 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by philturk philturk wrote:

I propose we take a vote on whether or not we allow freedom of speech to include political views being aired - use the below emojis to vote

All those in favour of freedom of speech Smile
All those against Cry
All those in favour of an autocratic admin leadership (dictatorship) Exclamation
All those who don't give a stuff and are able to choose which posts they ignore / interact with Star
Other voting options also available.....

Which option do you support or is the answer in the term autocratic admin leadership (dictatorship) comment. All social media sites require rules and therefore some level of policing those rules. If you ever want to see the danger of a free for all tune into Twitter sometime. In my opinion this whole issue has been blown out of all proportion and it is high time the forum returned to some form of normality. 


I'm in the latter, I haven't read all of the comments and so have no idea or care as to what has "been blown out of all proportion". My comment was merely tongue in cheek, proposing a vote....In my defence I was bored on a conference call and was merely jesting - no offence meant


Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 03 August 2023 at 3:20pm
You see .. the Oracle has left and without his provocative thoughts we are now in chaos! 😉 


Posted By: Wasp
Date Posted: 03 August 2023 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

My final comment on this. If the Scarlets are prepared to have a logo, at the heart of its shirt, which makes a huge political point, then the link between that political standpoint and the Scarlets has already been made. To prevent/discourage criticism of it, is to support that standpoint.
I certainly won't be buying that shirt for myself or anyone else.
I'm hoping, perhaps foolishly, that the away strip will feature Owens Transport on the front!



-------------
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh


Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 03 August 2023 at 10:02pm
They don’t do much for the environment.


Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 03 August 2023 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

They don’t do much for the environment.
Tbh that’s a pretty good point. The search for the perfect sponsor continues and probably always will …


Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 04 August 2023 at 6:15am
I was being flippant there, sorry.

I do think that's why I'm always a little agitated by the actual need for diluting the rugby pages with political commentary. I look at Scarlet Fever for rugby reasons, and Scarlets General specifically. It's a sanctuary for 15 minutes a day.

Specifically, and to the point as it's an ongoing debate.

We are, and have been, trading at a serious operating loss for many seasons, and exist only by the good graces of our benefactors and Board.

Oil 4 Wales (and others) have been a key component in our survival too, and I doff my hat to them for that. They have decided that they will see out existing contracts with the Scarlets and WRU, but after that will cease supporting Welsh rugby (driven by the turmoil and controversy at the WRU over the last year)..

They are going to be hard to replace.

It's also an opportunity of course, and it's perhaps a thought that Crys could consider pitching some sponsorship 'guard rails' to the Board in the future?
In the current climate it would be a 'balls out' decision to decline a significant sponsor investment of course, but it can be done. If indeed many, like Dai, won't buy the current replica shirt because of the logo, then it's an angle to raise.

I'd caveat that by saying that this really is shark infested waters though, and more and more companies are seeing the down side of these types of shirt sponsorships. Anyone can find fault with a brand....and the brand, plus those associated with it, can suffer negative press as a consequence....a sample of that if I may..

If you are a Man City or Newcastle Season ticket holder or supporter, then by proxy you enter the world of Saudi Arabia's human right's record, can get accused of actively supporting the death sentence, and are anti LGBTQ and same sex marriage.

Likewise, if you follow any of the 5 premiership teams that are currently sponsored by betting companies, (many based in the Far East and use young Asian girls in their company profiles), then you stand accused of endorsing betting and all it's associated afflictions, as well as some shady entities that have an opaque funding stream and lack regulatory compliance.
As a sign of what is happening, the Premiership have actually banned front of shirt sponsorship by betting companies from the 26/27 season, but there are more this season than there ever have been.

It's a sign that the traditional prestige brands (airlines, automotive companies etc) are being far more prudent in this space than previously.

You can see what's happening with the likes of Budweiser, Adidas, Disney and others when they state their credentials on a sensitive subject.

The new world order in this space is to lower your profile, reducing sponsorship is front and centre.

In summary, as Reese suggests, finding a sponsor that doesn't court any controversy is challenging ( and by challenging I mean nigh on impossible given current levels of scrutiny).






Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 04 August 2023 at 6:27am
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Let's have a rugby discussion then, but limiting the comments to one narrow rugby topic will be like telling fellow drinkers in a pub that they can only comment on the price of beer or shut up.

It’s oil for Wales logo if you disagree with it I suggest you protest outside their offices-and the offices of the WRU. It’s a local company supporting a local team, I bet they chose the logo not because as you say it highlights English suppression of the Welsh but because it is an emblem used by the Welsh rugby team. 
Why does everything have to have an agenda to it. 


Ah yes, Oil for Wales is so infatuated by the WRU's brilliant policies and performance that it had to copy their logo. Why didn't I think of that?

You are like a politician,  where did I say that, you really can be quite silly at times. 


As usual, name calling comes when you run out of arguments.

Do you actually read what is written and what you reply. 

How dare you call me a politician and silly at that!!!



You are the only poster that has a political leader as their forum name, I think you'll have to wear that one.


Posted By: John
Date Posted: 04 August 2023 at 7:42am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I was being flippant there, sorry.

I do think that's why I'm always a little agitated by the actual need for diluting the rugby pages with political commentary. I look at Scarlet Fever for rugby reasons, and Scarlets General specifically. It's a sanctuary for 15 minutes a day.

Specifically, and to the point as it's an ongoing debate.

We are, and have been, trading at a serious operating loss for many seasons, and exist only by the good graces of our benefactors and Board.

Oil 4 Wales (and others) have been a key component in our survival too, and I doff my hat to them for that. They have decided that they will see out existing contracts with the Scarlets and WRU, but after that will cease supporting Welsh rugby (driven by the turmoil and controversy at the WRU over the last year)..

They are going to be hard to replace.

It's also an opportunity of course, and it's perhaps a thought that Crys could consider pitching some sponsorship 'guard rails' to the Board in the future?
In the current climate it would be a 'balls out' decision to decline a significant sponsor investment of course, but it can be done. If indeed many, like Dai, won't buy the current replica shirt because of the logo, then it's an angle to raise.

I'd caveat that by saying that this really is shark infested waters though, and more and more companies are seeing the down side of these types of shirt sponsorships. Anyone can find fault with a brand....and the brand, plus those associated with it, can suffer negative press as a consequence....a sample of that if I may..

If you are a Man City or Newcastle Season ticket holder or supporter, then by proxy you enter the world of Saudi Arabia's human right's record, can get accused of actively supporting the death sentence, and are anti LGBTQ and same sex marriage.

Likewise, if you follow any of the 5 premiership teams that are currently sponsored by betting companies, (many based in the Far East and use young Asian girls in their company profiles), then you stand accused of endorsing betting and all it's associated afflictions, as well as some shady entities that have an opaque funding stream and lack regulatory compliance.
As a sign of what is happening, the Premiership have actually banned front of shirt sponsorship by betting companies from the 26/27 season, but there are more this season than there ever have been.

It's a sign that the traditional prestige brands (airlines, automotive companies etc) are being far more prudent in this space than previously.

You can see what's happening with the likes of Budweiser, Adidas, Disney and others when they state their credentials on a sensitive subject.

The new world order in this space is to lower your profile, reducing sponsorship is front and centre.

In summary, as Reese suggests, finding a sponsor that doesn't court any controversy is challenging ( and by challenging I mean nigh on impossible given current levels of scrutiny).





Exactly so.....

I'm surprised that, as our main sponsor is apparently changing their name and their ethos, that our shirts do not carry their new name Green for Wales.


Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 04 August 2023 at 8:49am
It wouldn’t surprise me to see an evolutionary change in brand ID including the logo of the business away from plumage.

Having met Colin a couple of times, you couldn’t wish to meet a more fervent supporter of Wales and appreciation of Welsh qualities, having immigrated some time ago. Lovely chap.

Re Owens, every time I see an Owens vehicle whether in East Anglia, France or closer to their HQ, it is clean and being driven courteously. Not many can say the same.

Goods have to be transported and best that be done in the Owens style. iirc, they have their plans to reduce their carbon footprint and it would be highly surprising if this conscientious business didn’t deliver that on time or early, as well.


-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.


Posted By: Gate12
Date Posted: 04 August 2023 at 9:52am
There has been an increase in the amount of topics that shift quickly towards blaming/discussing the WRU/Government/English in a very tenuous link to the actual topic, everything is connected to varying levels but it does feel like there's an eagerness to display political and historical knowledge and judgement at every turn which is off putting.


Posted By: sreve19
Date Posted: 05 August 2023 at 8:44pm
I totally agree 


Posted By: scarletpimp
Date Posted: 05 August 2023 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I was being flippant there, sorry.

I do think that's why I'm always a little agitated by the actual need for diluting the rugby pages with political commentary. I look at Scarlet Fever for rugby reasons, and Scarlets General specifically. It's a sanctuary for 15 minutes a day.

Specifically, and to the point as it's an ongoing debate.

We are, and have been, trading at a serious operating loss for many seasons, and exist only by the good graces of our benefactors and Board.

Oil 4 Wales (and others) have been a key component in our survival too, and I doff my hat to them for that. They have decided that they will see out existing contracts with the Scarlets and WRU, but after that will cease supporting Welsh rugby (driven by the turmoil and controversy at the WRU over the last year)..

They are going to be hard to replace.

It's also an opportunity of course, and it's perhaps a thought that Crys could consider pitching some sponsorship 'guard rails' to the Board in the future?
In the current climate it would be a 'balls out' decision to decline a significant sponsor investment of course, but it can be done. If indeed many, like Dai, won't buy the current replica shirt because of the logo, then it's an angle to raise.

I'd caveat that by saying that this really is shark infested waters though, and more and more companies are seeing the down side of these types of shirt sponsorships. Anyone can find fault with a brand....and the brand, plus those associated with it, can suffer negative press as a consequence....a sample of that if I may..

If you are a Man City or Newcastle Season ticket holder or supporter, then by proxy you enter the world of Saudi Arabia's human right's record, can get accused of actively supporting the death sentence, and are anti LGBTQ and same sex marriage.

Likewise, if you follow any of the 5 premiership teams that are currently sponsored by betting companies, (many based in the Far East and use young Asian girls in their company profiles), then you stand accused of endorsing betting and all it's associated afflictions, as well as some shady entities that have an opaque funding stream and lack regulatory compliance.
As a sign of what is happening, the Premiership have actually banned front of shirt sponsorship by betting companies from the 26/27 season, but there are more this season than there ever have been.

It's a sign that the traditional prestige brands (airlines, automotive companies etc) are being far more prudent in this space than previously.

You can see what's happening with the likes of Budweiser, Adidas, Disney and others when they state their credentials on a sensitive subject.

The new world order in this space is to lower your profile, reducing sponsorship is front and centre.

In summary, as Reese suggests, finding a sponsor that doesn't court any controversy is challenging ( and by challenging I mean nigh on impossible given current levels of scrutiny).





Exactly so.....

I'm surprised that, as our main sponsor is apparently changing their name and their ethos, that our shirts do not carry their new name Green for Wales.

That's a very thoughtful , well scripted post Will, providing us with the conundrum regarding "association" through sponsorship.
The Saudi thing sickens me, and  therefore, has affected my appetite for premiership football.

Regarding Scarlets however, I speak as a very keen environmentalist who realises that our dependency on fossil fuels has to eliminated as soon as practically possible. 
I am happy that a future Labour government would not issue new north sea off shore oil licences.
ATM however , we are still using oil and will do, until we generate green energy alternatives,  which could take a while. In the above context I am very grateful therefore, to Oil for Wales, to remain our sponsor, until , as Will says, their contract expires. Scarlets are already battling to survive in this challenging financial climate. We have already seen three teams in England, one of which was a European champion, disappear , and I don't want Scarlets to join that number.

In west Wales, we are economically disadvantaged, so we luckily are supported by a band of loyal local sponsors,  die hard supporters and a board , that have dug deep in these pockets.
between us we are surviving, and at present, that s all that matters, so we can continue developing young players for the future .



-------------
I stood yer on tanner bank


Posted By: lofty evans
Date Posted: 18 August 2023 at 9:19pm
Sorry ....born working class where I grew up seeing children my age walking to school with no shoes.
Will die working class.

I follow and love my town which is the Scarlets. 

If you don't like this post you know the two words.




-------------
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"


Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 12:39am
My concern is that our board is not packed with 45 year olds either and the generous group cannot go on for ever. I’m all for the environment but we need loyal sponsors like Green for Wales and I wish them well in their journey towards creating a clean energy brand and thank them for their valued support 👍


Posted By: salmidach
Date Posted: 26 August 2023 at 5:35pm
so no political topics or views in Scarlets General and General Rugby. what happens if the issue is politically motivated, say the NAW and it's funding (loans) to the WRU, that's political, do we then get a ban for expressing our views on this?

-------------
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett


Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 26 August 2023 at 6:13pm
Read the thread Sal.

It’s pretty clear what’s trying to be excluded.

Welcome back by the way.


Posted By: Gate12
Date Posted: 26 August 2023 at 6:30pm
No one has been banned either, someone opted to stop posting.


Posted By: John
Date Posted: 26 August 2023 at 8:47pm
And something that concerns the WRU rather than the Scarlets is a general rugby topic..........


Posted By: salmidach
Date Posted: 28 August 2023 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Read the thread Sal.

It’s pretty clear what’s trying to be excluded.

Welcome back by the way.

Thanks, never went away just don't post as I'm disconnected from the club down here.


-------------
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett


Posted By: lofty evans
Date Posted: 31 August 2023 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Read the thread Sal.

It’s pretty clear what’s trying to be excluded.

Welcome back by the way.

Thanks, never went away just don't post as I'm disconnected from the club down here.


The Sal.......we will win everything now x


-------------
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net