Forum Description: Other rugby chat
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47423
Printed Date: 14 April 2024 at 1:08pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Wales side v boks announced
Posted By: scarletpimp
Subject: Wales side v boks announced
Date Posted: 16 August 2023 at 1:07pm
Wales side announced for boys, and it's great to see Jonny Williams  on the teams sheet. If he remains  fit , surely he will be pressing for that 12 jersey, probably competing with Llewelyn. 
I really wish him well, and pray that the injury jinx that has plagued him stays away.
Cannot see a lot of creative inspiration  though in the Welsh selection,  and I expect a "slugfest". Hope I am totally  wrong of course. 
Will be a bid test for the two Cardiff props, and a few questions  will be answered  probably by the end of the game.
Will be intresting  to see how Grady goes, and it indicates  possibly ,that Gatland is lining him up more as a wing, but it's good he can offer the two options  of wing and centre.

-------------
I stood yer on tanner bank

Replies:
Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 16 August 2023 at 3:30pm
What happens if Biggar is injured early on?  Who goes to outside half?  Cai Evans?  Hardly experienced at fly half at Regional level let alone international. Confused

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: Fscarlet
Date Posted: 17 August 2023 at 7:37am
The fact that Costelow had a good game against England & hasn’t featured last week or this week suggests to me he’s on the plane (or Eurotunnel) to the World Cup. I really expected to see him on the bench this weekend. 

Posted By: ap sior
Date Posted: 17 August 2023 at 9:20am
Sadly I think that this selection says that Kemsley and Cai Evans will not make the final squad.

Posted By: townboy
Date Posted: 17 August 2023 at 5:16pm
Liam and Biggar are out now..Costellow to start at 10 with Cai Evans at 15

Posted By: hoppy
Date Posted: 17 August 2023 at 5:40pm
Dan Biggar and Liam Williams withdraw from the Welsh squad due to injury.

Sam Costelow starts at 10, Cai Evans makes a debut at 15 and Tom Rogers on the bench.

Date Posted: 17 August 2023 at 5:43pm
Dan Biggar & Liam Williams have been withdrawn from the Wales line-up as a precaution due to a back irritation (Biggar) and a tight hamstring (Williams

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 17 August 2023 at 6:52pm
Fragile: Handle With Care labels required. Hope they’re ok quickly.

Good luck to Sam, Cai & Tom on this late change of circumstances.

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 17 August 2023 at 8:29pm
Liam Williams injury shockerThumbs Down

Date Posted: 17 August 2023 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Liam Williams injury shockerThumbs Down

Yes a bit of a shock  Sanjay played well against  England,  so not worth  the risk...same with Biggar .
Good Sam gets more gametime, because that's the way he will improve. 
Good luck to  Cai, on first cap.

-------------

Posted By: Dai Guevara
Date Posted: 18 August 2023 at 10:06am
Let's hope Sam gets through without injury, as there isn't another recognised 10 on the bench.
Same for Johnny, Tom and Kieran, of course.
Johnny and Mason Grady a potentially devastating centre partnership.

Date Posted: 18 August 2023 at 11:07am
Cuthbert out Tom Rogers starts Louis Zammit on the bench 

Posted By: ndavies198
Date Posted: 18 August 2023 at 11:11am
Not too sure what out biggest threat at the World Cup will be: Fiji, Australia, or injuries.

A great opportunity for Tom Rogers though, I hope he goes well.

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 18 August 2023 at 11:22am
Lot of injuries and changes there pre-match.

The Boks are expecting a slug-fest - they have said so! And they are probably right. 

It'll be interesting to see how the young props get on - they were under the cosh early v England, but were on top by the time they were subbed. That front 5 looks better than the one that started last week, for sure. 

If Johnny W has a good game, surely he'll go rather than Llewellyn who is promising but no experience to speak of and didn't stand out the other week. 

Costelow - must be ahead of the other 10s apart from Biggar? Anscombe still not fit, presumably.

It's very much an experimental side still, with Gatland sticking to what was presumably a promise to give all (fit) squad players game time - but for that, I doubt Cai would have got a shot this time around. I don't believe the side is strong enough to win this game, but will be useful for the selectors and for the future. 

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: Grammar School Boy
Date Posted: 18 August 2023 at 3:52pm
Nice to see Costellow play for Biggar, there's a chance the centres might actually see the ball.

Date Posted: 18 August 2023 at 5:31pm
Got to get the ball first and retain it.Ouch

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: gaffer
Date Posted: 18 August 2023 at 11:20pm
Tough afternoon ahead against a Bok team with about 60% first choices. Hope they give a good account and, perhaps more importantly, no-one sustains a serious injury. Still think Basham shouldn't be risked.

-------------
What's going on?

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 8:27am
Without stating the obvious, when I saw these fixtures, to have SA as your last warm up game seemed bizarre. They are already in gear having just finished the SH comp, and, as per previous Wales RWC build ups, we have a basket of injury fall outs, compounded by international ‘ retirements’.

If SA are so inclined and hit their straps then this could easily become a tuning.

With AWJ, Tipuric, Carre, Davies-King, Webb, Ken O, Macleod, Cory Hill missing, and notable injuries hanging over Lake, Daf Jenkins, Anscombe, Jonny W, Faletau, Cuthbert, Biggar and Sanjay…the final 33 is going to be as much about fitness as anything else.

I hope the boys selected put up a good account of themselves.

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Without stating the obvious, when I saw these fixtures, to have SA as your last warm up game seemed bizarre. They are already in gear having just finished the SH comp, and, as per previous Wales RWC build ups, we have a basket of injury fall outs, compounded by international ‘ retirements’.

If SA are so inclined and hit their straps then this could easily become a tuning.

With AWJ, Tipuric, Carre, Davies-King, Webb, Ken O, Macleod, Cory Hill missing, and notable injuries hanging over Lake, Daf Jenkins, Anscombe, Jonny W, Faletau, Cuthbert, Biggar and Sanjay…the final 33 is going to be as much about fitness as anything else.

Pretty fair summation there Wil. I am looking forward to the 9/10/12/13 combination despite their inexperience at this level. All hinges, of course, on us giving a good account of ourselves in the front 5. Come through this with a good set piece result will ink in all individuals involved. An inexperienced back 3 could struggle today. Time for our Tom to show everyone that we have a successor to Liam ready to go. 

Posted By: Milli
Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 1:48pm
That  Welsh pack will get torn a new one. Not Keen on Dyer or Evans at FB and Rogers is a FB, not a winger. I can see a cricket score here

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Pretty fair summation there Wil. I am looking forward to the 9/10/12/13 combination despite their inexperience at this level. All hinges, of course, on us giving a good account of ourselves in the front 5. Come through this with a good set piece result will ink in all individuals involved. An inexperienced back 3 could struggle today. Time for our Tom to show everyone that we have a successor to Liam ready to go. 

That's a fair assessment from Will and GPR.
A patched-up up Wales team, up against  a well oiled one, just come through a competitive tournament .
More about performance, and hopefully  avoiding  more injuries I reckon for us.
On the face of it, do we need this extra game ?
Gatland  surely knows all he needs to know ATM. 

-------------

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

That's a fair assessment from Will and GPR.
A patched-up up Wales team, up against  a well oiled one, just come through a competitive tournament .
More about performance, and hopefully  avoiding  more injuries I reckon for us.
On the face of it, do we need this extra game ?
Gatland  surely knows all he needs to know ATM. 

Fair comments. It might well have been wiser to finish with a less difficult fixture. I suppose those who make the arrangements would argue that the number of injuries could not have been foreseen, but still... I also suppose they wanted a big team to help fill the coffers. Short-term gain, then - but long term? We'll see.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 3:22pm
Try BoksDead

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 3:28pm
3-5

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 3:40pm
All Boks so far but not really putting the points on the board, due to missed pens. Scrum is getting a hiding , but our lineout is functioning well. 6-5

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 3:43pm
Try Boks. 6-12. Poor defence by wales

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 3:44pm
9-12. Silly pen by Boks on restart

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 3:52pm
Cardiff props really struggling. Prepared to eat humble pie, Cai Evans our best back so far

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 3:58pm
Dyer YC pen try Boks. Very harsh call

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 3:59pm
Grady what a plonker, another try

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 4:00pm
9-24

Posted By: N14
Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Milli Milli wrote:

Dyer YC pen try Boks. Very harsh call

This TMO is useless. It was a clear yellow card but there’s no way the Boks player was catching that ball. Never a pen try 

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 4:01pm
Topped off by a moment of madness from Grady

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 4:01pm
Never a penalty try he lost the ball 
Mason Grady should have held on to the ball 

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 4:10pm
Well -  very harsh lessons for Grady, Assiratti, Rogers in that half. Hardy is not an international, Lydiate is anonymous. JW's defensive work is suspect. Some positives though - Costellow's kicking, the line-out, some good work by Wainwright, Rowlands, Cai Evans. Let's see how the second half pans out.

-------------
What's going on?

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 4:10pm
We look like a side that has never played together before, which is exactly what we are.  Thank you all who bought tickets for this, very charitable of you.

-------------
Keep the faith

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 4:11pm
Saffers have missed 10 pts of the boot.

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by hoppy hoppy wrote:

Quite... the Bok touched the ball, probably forward. Even if he didn't, there was no way he would recover it having overrun the ball, so no try - so no penalty try. 

Boks clearly the stronger side, but this ref is and always has been useless.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Quite... the Bok touched the ball, probably forward. Even if he didn't, there was no way he would recover it having overrun the ball, so no try - so no penalty try. 

According to BBC, try was given by Joy Neville. Brace did not want to award the try.

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 4:34pm
Oh Hardy!!! another gifted try

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

According to BBC, try was given by Joy Neville. Brace did not want to award the try.

Thats not quite true- both wanted to give the try. But Brace was a bit more cautious. There was one angle which suggested the ball, which was still just rising lept upwards before Dyers hand got to it. So the saffer knocked the ball on. 

This pair of Cardiff props were penalised repeatedly again. So from our scrum on halfway, we found ourselves defending in our 22 a couple of times. That doesnt work against the boks. IF Wyn and Samson were there, we'd probably have won the scrum and been playing in their half. 

Props need to be capable of proping.

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 4:47pm
Dire, and i mean real dire

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 4:49pm

She’s not up to the job. Doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things as we’ve been well and truly hammered regardless! We’ll probably get out of our RWC group due to poor quality of the opposition but we’re in a bad shape. All we can do is give it our best this RWC and start building towards the next one

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 4:56pm
Reality

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 5:13pm
Ironic that living on a prayer playing in background

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 5:18pm
I feel for Johnny Williams as he is a lot better player than what we saw today. The rest of the scarlet players were poor

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 5:19pm
Considering that many of the starting xv had little chance of going to France and the Boks put out a strong team, what can we say? Cai Evans not too bad (considering what was coming his way). Rogers and Hardy are not internationals. JBW tried too hard to get noticed, Grady has a lot too learn (he will be better), Costellow and Dyer both did ok. The front row was totally out of its depth and contributed very little (Parry's darts were ok), Rowlands stood out. Carter seems to have very little grunt. Wainwright was ok. Lydiate and Morgan were pretty ineffectual. Given the huge inexperience, of course we were disjointed both in attack and defence. Perhaps only 3 of that team would start a game in France: Rowlands, Morgan, Wainwright.

-------------
What's going on?

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by gaffer gaffer wrote:

Considering that many of the starting xv had little chance of going to France and the Boks put out a strong team, what can we say? Cai Evans not too bad (considering what was coming his way). Rogers and Hardy are not internationals. JBW tried too hard to get noticed, Grady has a lot too learn (he will be better), Costellow and Dyer both did ok. The front row was totally out of its depth and contributed very little (Parry's darts were ok), Rowlands stood out. Carter seems to have very little grunt. Wainwright was ok. Lydiate and Morgan were pretty ineffectual. Given the huge inexperience, of course we were disjointed both in attack and defence. Perhaps only 3 of that team would start a game in France: Rowlands, Morgan, Wainwright.

Have  not seen the game,  so thanks for your assessment  Gaffer.
We knew that this was going to be a pretty much impossible  task, so why play this ridiculous  fixture  with a patched up team, risking more  injury.
If Gatland  does not know his squad and starting  XV (injury permitting ), he  will never know.
What is clear is that Wales,  are competive(usually), when we have our fist choice 22 avaliable.  Once we go too far outside that, its a struggle,  indicating  that there is little depth in Wales, underling where we are ATM, in the general scheme  of things.

-------------

Posted By: Mugwuffin
Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 6:42pm
That was terrible. The pack got utterly beasted and few players played with the accuracy and aggression you need to beat the Boks. Johnny Williams and Tom Rogers were disappointing in that they were quite error prone, Rogers in particular. Sam Costelow didn’t have much of a platform to show his talents. 

Lydiate looked his age. He was tailor made stifling South Africa. If he’s not effective at doing that he’s not going to be a great option against teams such as Australia and Fiji who look to move the ball. 

Mason Grady was another disappointment. His only memorable contribution was to cough up a comedy try. He’s a tremendous athlete and needs to find a way to use his size, pace and power to influence games. 

Posted By: Dai Guevara
Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 7:49pm
With what little (slow) ball we had, in attacking positions, we continued to pass the ball predictably along the line until the S. African blitz defence clobbered us or made interceptions that with their pace gained plenty of ground, when not actually scoring. No one thought of putting them on their heels or turning them with grubber kicks or chips into the space left behind the oncoming defenders. This still wouldn't have come anywhere near winning it for us considering the superiority of the S. African pack but it might have been less of a massacre and given us some consolation and hope.

Date Posted: 19 August 2023 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

That was terrible. The pack got utterly beasted and few players played with the accuracy and aggression you need to beat the Boks. Johnny Williams and Tom Rogers were disappointing in that they were quite error prone, Rogers in particular. Sam Costelow didn’t have much of a platform to show his talents. 

Lydiate looked his age. He was tailor made stifling South Africa. If he’s not effective at doing that he’s not going to be a great option against teams such as Australia and Fiji who look to move the ball. 

Mason Grady was another disappointment. His only memorable contribution was to cough up a comedy try. He’s a tremendous athlete and needs to find a way to use his size, pace and power to influence games. 

I thought Grady would get the nod as he covers wing and centre ( and still might of course), but there were shades of Owen ‘all aboard the Lane train’ from him today.

Jonny W did just enough to get the 12 shirt I think, albeit he tried a little too hard. If he runs hard and straight then he’s playing to his strengths and causes problems.

It’s possible Cai could leapfrog Owen W and Anscombe as the ( much loved bench option of Gats) 10/15 cover. Anscombe has to be a risky call, and Owen has been modest.

Gats has more questions than answers at ( through either injury or form) 2, 4, 6, 11 and 15.

Date Posted: 20 August 2023 at 7:11am
Think the main beneficiaries from that are the boys who were not playing in particular Joe Roberts. Comedy of errors you have to say - poor decision to award a penalty try. Final make up of the squad will be decided by the medics. 

Date Posted: 20 August 2023 at 8:01am
I'm afraid it's just another dose of the turgid no brains rugby that gatland serves up on a regular basis.

Date Posted: 20 August 2023 at 8:50am
Jac Morgan outstanding again for wales plenty for Gatland to consider 

Fiji will be a tough game 

See England at it again another one sent off 

Date Posted: 20 August 2023 at 9:17am

My only consolation, pretty limited I will admit, is that England are in a worse mess than us. An interesting question with regard to official 33 man squads. Are you allowed to change the selected squad for anything other than injury. England, depending on bans, could be looking to replace Farrell & Billy as both look set to miss the first 2/3 games in France. 

Posted By: Kentexile
Date Posted: 20 August 2023 at 9:37am
Final squads need to be submitted by 1 September so up until then Countries can make as many changes to their squads as they want.

Date Posted: 20 August 2023 at 10:53am
Tomorrow morning squad announced by Gatland 

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 20 August 2023 at 11:23am

Outstanding player, yes, but out of his depth as captain. When the penalty try incident occured, le Roux nearly got a penalty against the boks for telling the referee that a card should be issued but Kolisi was on hand to smooth things over and get the referee to look at the screen. So, from then on, there were opportunities for the Welsh captain to speak to the referee but Morgan was nowhere to be seen. Then once the card was issued, he needed to get the team to concentrate and reorganise. And the boks scored immediately. A captaincy failure over about 5 minutes of actual time as much as a horrendous mistake by Grady.

Posted By: RR1972
Date Posted: 20 August 2023 at 2:21pm
The starting props got mullered . Both half backs poor but they were on a hiding to nothing behind that pack. Morgan and cai evans had good gsmes so did the sub props and basham.  Grady played himself out of contention

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 20 August 2023 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

I'm afraid it's just another dose of the turgid no brains rugby that gatland serves up on a regular basis.
Trouble is the regions usually offer much the same

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Posted By: roy munster
Date Posted: 20 August 2023 at 4:12pm

I thought Grady would get the nod as he covers wing and centre ( and still might of course), but there were shades of Owen ‘all aboard the Lane train’ from him today.

Jonny W did just enough to get the 12 shirt I think, albeit he tried a little too hard. If he runs hard and straight then he’s playing to his strengths and causes problems.

It’s possible Cai could leapfrog Owen W and Anscombe as the ( much loved bench option of Gats) 10/15 cover. Anscombe has to be a risky call, and Owen has been modest.

Gats has more questions than answers at ( through either injury or form) 2, 4, 6, 11 and 15.

Does Cai posses any of the pace of his old man? Hes known in my house as the son of Jor elLOL Hes got a heck of a boot fair play
ps can you expand on your lane train critique LOL

-------------
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 20 August 2023 at 4:54pm
Hopefully Sams HIA wasn’t too bad 🙏

Date Posted: 20 August 2023 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Does Cai posses any of the pace of his old man? Hes known in my house as the son of Jor elLOL Hes got a heck of a boot fair play

Unfortunately that gene has not been passed on. I would say Halfpenny is still quicker than him. 

-------------
What's going on?

Date Posted: 21 August 2023 at 7:03am
Originally posted by gaffer gaffer wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Unfortunately that gene has not been passed on. I would say Halfpenny is still quicker than him. 

Certainly not as fast as Ieuan... not sure about Halfpenny though.

He had one good run out of defence, but IMO should have passed to the quicker Rogers on the wing, but got tackled instead. He kicked an excellent conversion from the touchline, but the game was over by then.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 August 2023 at 11:46pm
All blacks got stuffed tonight by South Africa 

Date Posted: 26 August 2023 at 5:19am
Record defeat for the AB’s.

Big statement from SA.

Date Posted: 26 August 2023 at 5:41am
NZ 7 SA 35

If you didn't see it - this was a thrashing and a humiliation for the All Blacks. If you didn't see it, don't be fooled by the red card at the end of the first half - iirc the ABs didn't get into the SA 22 until the 37th minute! They were totally dominated physically - the one thing you could say was that for quite a while they tackled well, as wave after wave of Boks thundered towards their line. They simply had no answer.

Takeaways from this:

1. SA are serious contenders for the prize (along with France and Ireland, IMO).

2. You never know with NZ, but it's difficult to see them as serious contenders after that game - plus, one of their best props came off injured and Barrett (the red card) will presumably miss some games.

3. The performance of Wales seconds last week does not look too bad compared to that of NZ firsts! They were thrashed, yes - but it wasn't our best team. NZ can't claim that excuse.

I wonder what we may learn today from England v Fiji?

-------------

Posted By: tim d
Date Posted: 26 August 2023 at 7:04am
I watched the game and it was a thrashing and it could have been a lot more. New Zealand were penalised off the park. This was down to South African pressure but also I think having four northern hemisphere officials. New Zealand didn't get away with things they normally do at home. Also with so many South Africans playing in France and their sides playing in the URC they know what they can and can't do with the officials. The only side to have any strength in depth up front like South Africa is france. 

-------------
I'm sick of it

Date Posted: 26 August 2023 at 7:56am
Originally posted by tim d tim d wrote:

I watched the game and it was a thrashing and it could have been a lot more. New Zealand were penalised off the park. This was down to South African pressure but also I think having four northern hemisphere officials. New Zealand didn't get away with things they normally do at home. Also with so many South Africans playing in France and their sides playing in the URC they know what they can and can't do with the officials. The only side to have any strength in depth up front like South Africa is france. 

Thanks for the reports gents. Does sound like a comprehensive victory. South Africa got their timing right finding form in Japan - they seem to be moving through the gears for this one. This boy Moody is only 20 - he played 13 last night I understand - going to be some player. The only weakness I see is at 10. Anything happen to Libbok & they are stretched. 

Posted By: Cofi
Date Posted: 03 September 2023 at 6:54am
Originally posted by John John wrote:

Thats not quite true- both wanted to give the try. But Brace was a bit more cautious. There was one angle which suggested the ball, which was still just rising lept upwards before Dyers hand got to it. So the saffer knocked the ball on. 

This pair of Cardiff props were penalised repeatedly again. So from our scrum on halfway, we found ourselves defending in our 22 a couple of times. That doesnt work against the boks. IF Wyn and Samson were there, we'd probably have won the scrum and been playing in their half. 

Props need to be capable of proping.

Agreed with you at the time but have been giving this more thought and Gats really has treated Wyn Jones badly. Should have at least  included him in the original squad to  assess if he was getting his form back after injury.  They certainly could do with him now

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net