URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47434
Printed Date: 14 April 2024 at 11:39am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The haka
Posted By: jeremy windell
Subject: The haka
Date Posted: 01 September 2023 at 4:31pm
Just thought I'd throw this thought in here for debate 

Anyone else getting a bit bored of it all now. Every time the all blacks play we have a haka. It's all becoming a bit predictable and commercial.

Maybe just me but it also winds me up that they get to perform it away from home, and seem to have some sort of power as to how opposing teams should react. They didn't like it when wales stared them down a few years back, I thought it was all about laying down a challenge and the opposition accepting it.

Personally, I wouldn't do away with it, but I'd like to see it performed only when they are playing on home soil. 

Thoughts.

-------------
Go ahead..........Take those banana's

Replies:
Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 01 September 2023 at 5:25pm
It's not just you, I was actually thinking the very same thing last weekend.

Maybe linked to the fact that the AB's had some amount of privilege or entitlement whilst being at the very top of the international game for decades, and now seeing that slip a bit,,,I'm not sure...whatever, I generally find it less interesting, and moving towards unnecessary.

I know for sure that the opposition find it tedious by and large.

Posted By: Raised By Peregos
Date Posted: 01 September 2023 at 5:40pm
Agreed. I really don't think it's fair that a team gets to hype themselves up just before kick-off either.

Every nation has a culture that they could, in theory, celebrate before a game. I'm not quite sure why only NZ get to perform theirs, particularly when, in essence, it was to prepare their warriors mentally and physically for battle - this literally seems like an unfair advantage. 

I did use to enjoy it as a kid, but then it was much rarer to see then. Now, with the ability to see it on the internet at a second's notice, I feel like if they want to continue to perform it for themselves, then no problem, but they do it in the changing room before coming out. 

Date Posted: 01 September 2023 at 5:42pm
Or... they (and the officials) are less precious about the response from other teams. As long as they aren't disrupting it or being disrespectful, let the opposition face it how they want and even give them the opportunity to respond to the challenge in some way. 

The one way nature of it is galling.

Posted By: Eastern outpost
Date Posted: 01 September 2023 at 5:46pm
I’d prefer not to have to watch it, or find a reason to slip away from the TV while it’s on.

-------------
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.

Posted By: Seagultaf
Date Posted: 01 September 2023 at 6:00pm
I love the haka, its part of the tradition of playing South Seas teams and I always enjoy it.
In my option it would be a huge shame to see this colourful and dramatic spectacle lost to the game. 
It would be like stopping the Welsh fans from singing bread of heaven, or sospan fach. They are all parts of the rich tradition of test rugby.

Date Posted: 01 September 2023 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Seagultaf Seagultaf wrote:

I love the haka, its part of the tradition of playing South Seas teams and I always enjoy it.
In my option it would be a huge shame to see this colourful and dramatic spectacle lost to the game. 
It would be like stopping the Welsh fans from singing bread of heaven, or sospan fach. They are all parts of the rich tradition of test rugby.
For me, one delays the start of the game and the other accompanies it.

-------------

Posted By: Mogwen
Date Posted: 01 September 2023 at 6:38pm
I wish they would revert to the old traditional version and not the crap they do now with the slitting of the throat and the carnival that occurs before it starts.

-------------
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Posted By: Tony Clifton
Date Posted: 01 September 2023 at 7:36pm
Gives me a minute to get the tea. I find it boring and pretentious. If they want the haka, they can do it with their anthem. There is zero reason they should get to do haka after home team anthem.

Posted By: greypower1
Date Posted: 01 September 2023 at 9:59pm
Do other NZ sports such as soccer, rugby league and hockey do the hakka?  Didn't  notice their T20 cricket team do it tonight.LOL

-------------
Keep the faith

Posted By: lofty evans
Date Posted: 01 September 2023 at 10:44pm
I still want it ...im a dinosaur and I don't care.

-------------
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Posted By: scarletpimp
Date Posted: 01 September 2023 at 11:49pm
The theory  that the haka may have at one time give NZ a psychological  advantage,  going in to the game, may have rung true in the past. I remember  even our  own Benny, saying it Sent the shivers down his spine.

These days, teams play each other so regularly  at International  level, 
that the new breed of professional  player, just is'nt affected by it anymore,  as a manipulative piece of mind games.

Ask most players however,  would they like to face the haka, and the answer is unequivocally  YES!
My own daughter  has faced the haka, in the recent world cup (twice), and said it was one of the privileges of being  a sportswoman,  to do so.

-------------
I stood yer on tanner bank

Posted By: GPR - Rochester
Date Posted: 02 September 2023 at 6:40am
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Do other NZ sports such as soccer, rugby league and hockey do the hakka?  Didn't  notice their T20 cricket team do it tonight.LOL

Apparently the NZ 20's team were too busy locating the entry points to the stands in order to retrieve the ball to even think about the haka.LOL

Date Posted: 02 September 2023 at 8:10am
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

The kiwi hockey teams never did it when I was on the international circuit.

-------------

Posted By: Wil Chips
Date Posted: 02 September 2023 at 8:39am
I doubt many sports would tolerate it pre match. Football fans would be apoplectic I suggest.

Posted By: Gate12
Date Posted: 02 September 2023 at 8:42am
I'm not fussed either way on it myself but if it helps the theatre of it all then probably worth it carrying on.

I find Ireland having 2 anthems more annoying, and they love a dignitaries meet and greet.

Posted By: ladram
Date Posted: 02 September 2023 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

I'm not fussed either way on it myself but if it helps the theatre of it all then probably worth it carrying on.

I find Ireland having 2 anthems more annoying, and they love a dignitaries meet and greet.
That's in case they forget one Wink

Date Posted: 02 September 2023 at 9:16am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

That's in case they forget one Wink
To be sure, to be sure, I’m with Gate on this.

-------------

Posted By: Lee
Date Posted: 02 September 2023 at 9:22am
Personally, I love seeing the Haka - great theatre.

I have to say that it is the formal singing of the anthems that I find tedious - in all international sports. Having said that, l only ever get to watch the games on TV. Maybe it is different if you are at the stadium.

Date Posted: 02 September 2023 at 11:45am
As a compromise, the Haka should be done before the anthems so no advantage is gained. As a study (from Queensland maybe?) suggested, it confers a very small advantage at the start of the game which can be crucial at elite level.

Posted By: aber-fan
Date Posted: 02 September 2023 at 3:54pm
AFAIK, it was started during a long-ago tour to add to the theatre and entertainment for the crowd, and if so it was done away from home first. I am a little fed up with it by now... maybe they should save it for occasional games (but how to choose?) 

I also agree about other delays for 'dignitaries'; having two anthems seems like cheating - SA do that as well, I think.

Am I right that the ABs don't get to 'haka' at the RWC? If they are, then that is definitely wrong in terms of gaining an unfair (if small) advantage.

-------------
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)

Posted By: SA14
Date Posted: 02 September 2023 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by jeremy windell jeremy windell wrote:

Anyone else getting a bit bored of it all now. Every time the all blacks play we have a haka. It's all becoming a bit predictable and commercial.

Maybe just me but it also winds me up that they get to perform it away from home, and seem to have some sort of power as to how opposing teams should react. They didn't like it when wales stared them down a few years back, I thought it was all about laying down a challenge and the opposition accepting it.

Personally, I wouldn't do away with it, but I'd like to see it performed only when they are playing on home soil. 

Thoughts.

How is the haka commercial?

Posted By: gaffer
Date Posted: 03 September 2023 at 6:42pm
It's become, for many but not all, an irritation. I have no problem with NZ or any of the Pacific teams performing it on their own soil  but insisting that the opposition shows 'respect', whatever that is, and insisting we have to put up with it when they play away is just wrong. It's been used for mind games for too long and we should, quite politely, tell NZ where to shove it.

-------------
What's going on?

Date Posted: 07 September 2023 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Thoughts.

Have you ever seen a grown man naked in tears?

-------------

Posted By: reesytheexile
Date Posted: 07 September 2023 at 11:41pm

Thoughts.

Have you ever seen a grown man naked in tears?

It’s become less special and arguably a bit old hat due to the number of international games now played and when you add on the Tongans and Samoans it is getting a bit much. Also I don’t know if it’s me but does it all go on longer than it used to 30 years ago? Of course if you are at the ground you can’t hear it due to the boos which you certainly never used to get. 

Date Posted: 08 September 2023 at 2:06pm
If it was a Welsh thing you’d all love it. 

Date Posted: 08 September 2023 at 3:41pm

No I wouldn't, because I'm miserable and despise all the nonsense.

I absolutely despised that ghastly 'cool cymru' period, and am of the belief that anyone who turns up to a Welsh game with a daffodil hat, or blown up sheep, should be booted out, and put before some sort of committee.

Haka is fine with me, but do it only on NZ soil, even if it is becoming sooooo boring specs

-------------

Date Posted: 08 September 2023 at 6:13pm

No I wouldn't, because I'm miserable and despise all the nonsense.

I absolutely despised that ghastly 'cool cymru' period, and am of the belief that anyone who turns up to a Welsh game with a daffodil hat, or blown up sheep, should be booted out, and put before some sort of committee.

Haka is fine with me, but do it only on NZ soil, even if it is becoming sooooo boring specs
How about Welsh Choirs for Room 101? Really an outmoded 1960-70’s sentiment these days? Singers in choirs are mostly geriatric (😉)  and have all have superimposed a layer of Tom Jonesism songs on them ! 😂 Also no one under 65 knows the words of hymns - thoughts!😉

Date Posted: 08 September 2023 at 8:17pm
One thing I’ve noticed in a packed pub I’m in. Everyone is quiet when the haka came on.  Says a lot. It’s been around decades. Long may it continue. Just go for a pissss or the bar when it’s on. 

Posted By: Rob Hunt
Date Posted: 08 September 2023 at 8:18pm
The Haka took 1 minute 46 seconds from the time they came out of the their circle. Ridiculous waste of time.

Posted By: John
Date Posted: 08 September 2023 at 8:53pm
And included the use of an accessory- a ceremonial spear. They also have an adviser/ consultant to make sure any changes are culturally correct.

Posted By: gaffer
Date Posted: 08 September 2023 at 9:06pm
There's no difference really, is there???

Morris dance | English Folk Dance, Rituals & Music | Britannica

-------------
What's going on?

Posted By: surfing-mtber
Date Posted: 08 September 2023 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

And included the use of an accessory- a ceremonial spear. They also have an adviser/ consultant to make sure any changes are culturally correct.
Wales should come on with a brolly and a giant leek. Practical and culturally appropriate. 

-------------
Joshua24:15

Date Posted: 08 September 2023 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

Yes I saw that bloody spear . It’s getting ridiculous They will be in Māori capes next 🤨

Posted By: lofty evans
Date Posted: 08 September 2023 at 10:17pm
France done NZ ....lovely..... haka or not.

-------------
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Date Posted: 08 September 2023 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Rob Hunt Rob Hunt wrote:

The Haka took 1 minute 46 seconds from the time they came out of the their circle. Ridiculous waste of time.

Really? That’s it. Ban it. There’s no time for that. 

Posted By: scarletabroad
Date Posted: 09 September 2023 at 11:14am

Well they had to try and mask and make you forget that shower of poop version of the French anthem!!! The players looked utterly confused and as though they were unaware of what was to come. I can imagine some hipster choir master telling the squad pre game, we have a brilliant surprise for you at the anthems it will blow your mind. I suspect the guillotine will be dusted down.
However back to the Hakka I love it, it brings to the game other sports don’t have it throws a gauntlet down that most players who get to that level want to witness first hand. Long May it continue

Date Posted: 09 September 2023 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by scarletabroad scarletabroad wrote:

Well they had to try and mask and make you forget that shower of poop version of the French anthem!!! The players looked utterly confused and as though they were unaware of what was to come. I can imagine some hipster choir master telling the squad pre game, we have a brilliant surprise for you at the anthems it will blow your mind. I suspect the guillotine will be dusted down.
However back to the Hakka I love it, it brings to the game other sports don’t have it throws a gauntlet down that most players who get to that level want to witness first hand. Long May it continue

The choral singing continues today for the Italy game. It sounded much better with a quieter crowd but it was awful yesterday before the euphoric French! 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net