Forum Description: Other rugby chat
URL: https://scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5373
Printed Date: 28 March 2024 at 1:47pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: ’You’ve sold the soul of Welsh rugby’
Posted By: TonduTurk
Subject: ’You’ve sold the soul of Welsh rugby’
Date Posted: 27 October 2005 at 10:52am
THE furore over Gavin Henson's book refused to go away last night as Gareth Jenkins hit out over the controversial autobiography. Jenkins questioned Henson's motives for producing My Grand Slam Year. Henson openly criticises popular Wales and Scarlets full-back Garan Evans in print, And the Scarlets director of rugby virtually accused Henson of selling his soul by putting pen to paper at just 23 years of age.
The Scarlets claim officially they are not taking a stance over Henson's disparaging remarks over Evans. But, behind the scenes, Scarlets management and players are seething at the references Henson makes about Evans. In the book Henson admits to openly laughing when he was told Steve Hansen was picking Evans for the 2003 World Cup ahead of him.
Although Jenkins would not be drawn on the Evans put-down, he claims Henson has written the book at such an early stage of his career as a money-making exercise. Jenkins argues that goes against the principles of rugby union in Wales. "We haven't taken a personal view on it with regards Garan, but in general Gavin has got to stand up and be counted for what he has decided to print," said Jenkins. "Gavin has apparently got a view on me in the book. That doesn't disturb me one way or the other because I really do think this is a major exercise in selling and promoting a financial gain for Gavin.
"I think that is the basic line on it and it is a bit sad really from my point of view. Because something that has been a part of this game of rugby, and the traditions of the game, are ethics and principles. And he has sold those for money. If he can handle that, then good for him."
But, despite Jenkins claiming the Scarlets don't have an official stance on Henson's outspoken remarks concerning Garan Evans, the Welsh star can expect a hot reception at Stradey Park when the Scarlets entertain the Ospreys in December.
http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0500rugbyunion/0200news/tm_objectid=16298420%26method=full%26siteid=50082%26headline=%2dyou%2dve%2dsold%2dthe%2dsoul%2dof%2dwelsh%2drugby%2d-name_page.html - full story

Replies:
Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: 27 October 2005 at 1:24pm

Don't know why Gareth had to comment at all. Not that I disagree with him.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 27 October 2005 at 3:05pm
My view is to react and view any comment merely satisfies the orange leg one's insatiable desire for reaction and fame. Better to say nothing and ignore the gelled prat and when we meet again on the pitch rack his balls and knock his teethb out, now that's far better, because every rugby fan worldwide will be downing their pints to that retribution, Bless him he only wants to be loved, [beep]

Posted By: KID A
Date Posted: 27 October 2005 at 3:14pm
Thing is , I’ve always prided myself on the fact that in rugby, we can cheer anyone on. In football – you even get fans abusing, spitting and swearing at players who play for their own national team who say “oh I love him when he plays for England”  but II hate him when against my club etc etc.

With this Henson thing, its bordering on football mentality. I fear for the boy I really do.

Posted By: Dewi
Date Posted: 27 October 2005 at 4:16pm
Did`nt  i read somewhere that he also criticized  2 of his ospreys team mates, if that is true then who needs enemies when you`ve got friends like that.

Posted By: ScarletHeart
Date Posted: 27 October 2005 at 4:18pm
i think so dewi. He said billybain and parker shouldnt be allowed to play for wales.

-------------

[IMG]

Posted By: redeyes
Date Posted: 27 October 2005 at 6:22pm

Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Thing is , I’ve always prided myself on the fact that in rugby, we can cheer anyone on. In football – you even get fans abusing, spitting and swearing at players who play for their own national team who say “oh I love him when he plays for England”  but II hate him when against my club etc etc.

With this Henson thing, its bordering on football mentality. I fear for the boy I really do.

he has only himself to blame!

-------------
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

Posted By: Pedro Diniz
Date Posted: 27 October 2005 at 7:56pm
I can see us taking Finau back on loan...with the aim to steamroll him on the 28th down Stradey. Where ever he goes this season, people are going to want to run him down, it's quite surprising that billybain and Parker haven't killed him already. It won't be long - his career is on a downward spiral I fear, and who knows, in a couple of seasons' time, his career might not lie in rugby at all because of this act of stupidity.

-------------
"I can't see the Germans getting back into this...they've only got Kuntz up front..."
(Alan Hansen, during Euro 96).

Date Posted: 27 October 2005 at 8:01pm
I can see his rugby career ending due to a very personal and vicious tackle on him ( but the player will not get sent off cos Henson sl****d the ref off aswell) and he will end up doing car adverts or hosting some very tacky gameshow!

-------------

[IMG]

Date Posted: 27 October 2005 at 8:30pm

-------------

[IMG]

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net