Print Page | Close Window

Recap of last night’s meeting

Printed From: Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets
Category: RUGBY
Forum Name: SUPPORTERS TRUST NEWS
Forum Description: Latest News from the upcoming Supporters Trust
URL: https://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7052
Printed Date: 23 January 2022 at 8:51pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: Recap of last night’s meeting
Posted By: Mike
Subject: Recap of last night’s meeting
Date Posted: 09 March 2006 at 12:10pm

Next step is to write a letter to SG (cc: HE, JM, GJ and RG). Bob volunteered to do this and to invite comments from the rest of the group. Only suggestion is that we emphasise a 'what can we do for the club' message rather than a 'we're doing this because we're not happy with things' line. I would also offer to meet SG (or rep) as a group if he has any questions.

The open meeting will be an evening during the week commencing Monday 10 April. Barrie is going to ask Phil Bennett if he'd mind chairing the meeting - whichever date that week is best for Phil, we'll go with.

Then we contact Joanna Masters/staff requesting programme space in the Munster & Ospreys programme, availability of Tetleys Suite for open meeting and whether they'd carry out a mailing to members for us or whether they'd need to be paid. If they do, we need to think about getting a company to pay it for a reference/thanks in the letter.




Replies:
Posted By: M.M.
Date Posted: 09 March 2006 at 5:06pm
 Tidy, Mike.  I'm meeting Phil tomorrow. I took the liberty also of phoning Jacqui Forster of Supporters Direct. She's available that week to attend the Open Meeting. 


Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: 09 March 2006 at 7:09pm
Good stuff, Barrie.


Posted By: wizard
Date Posted: 09 March 2006 at 7:30pm

I spoke to a guy on Saturday in the Stadium who is a big Scarlets fan and is a partner in a soliciters.

His name is Chris Symons and the firm is Jennings Soliciters.

The other soliciter we could use is Steve Donoghue, not sure if he's a fan or not though.

I had to asked my dad today as he knows them both, and I couldn't remember the name of the guy I met on Saturday. Even though I keep getting reintroduce to them several times a year.

When bob does his letter (better check my email) I could use it to forward on to them and see if I get a response.



Posted By: Scarletrover
Date Posted: 09 March 2006 at 10:20pm
Just a thought boys. Last night, we were wondering if anyone knew whether there were any solicitors/ acountants who were forum members. Perhaps we could try to find out by adding a section, similar to the 'Hello New Members', under the guise of a 'survey' where contributors would list their background and profession. (I don't know how much of a response we'd get, but in my experience, most people are quite proud of what they do for a living.)  possibly with a caveat whereby their username could remain 'hidden' on request. This would enable you to effectively 'vet' possible new members for particular talents, and also gauge their opinions by the tone / content of their other posts.

-------------
http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9579&PN=1&TPN=1">


Posted By: ursamajor
Date Posted: 09 March 2006 at 10:37pm
Good recap and good work Barry.

Maybe we need to 're-advertise' for volunteers again, but as you suggest Dorian, aimed at people with some nous.

Got a good response from Phil Cooper tonight. Had a long chat about what we're trying to set up, and he's going to digest the links to Supporters Direct I gave him.
He has vast experience in the sort of thing we're trying to do, and is Scarlet to the core.

http://www.venturewales.com/ - http://www.venturewales.com/

http://www.venturewales.com/Website/default.asp?lang=eng&sid=1&mid=4&pid=14 - http://www.venturewales.com/Website/default.asp?lang=eng& ;sid=1&mid=4&pid=14



Posted By: Nikostratos
Date Posted: 10 March 2006 at 2:33am
Attached is my draft letter to SG [I worked out how to attach a document doh...]
uploads/Nikostratos/2006-03-10_023155_initial_letter_to_SG.doc - 2006-03-10_023155_initial_letter_to_SG.doc
Please feel free to suggest changes.


Posted By: ursamajor
Date Posted: 10 March 2006 at 8:23am
Originally posted by Nikostratos Nikostratos wrote:

Attached is my draft letter to SG [I worked out how to attach a document doh...]
uploads/Nikostratos/2006-03-10_023155_initial_letter_to_SG.doc - 2006-03-10_023155_initial_letter_to_SG.doc
Please feel free to suggest changes.


Excellent Bob.


Posted By: Abbey
Date Posted: 10 March 2006 at 8:41am

I've got us another volunteer. He is Ian Lewis, a Lloyds Bank employee for 27 years (now sadly a victim of moving everyting to India). He's level headed, sensible and doesn't go much for rumours and gossip. He is on the forum but doesn't post much.

He's a Scarlets through and through and would be a good member to have on board.

 



Posted By: Abbey
Date Posted: 10 March 2006 at 8:48am

Originally posted by Nikostratos Nikostratos wrote:

Attached is my draft letter to SG [I worked out how to attach a document doh...]
uploads/Nikostratos/2006-03-10_023155_initial_letter_to_SG.doc - 2006-03-10_023155_initial_letter_to_SG.doc
Please feel free to suggest changes.

That's a great letter Bob. I agree that there should be a link to Supporters Direct so that someone can point him in the direction of a mouse and he can access it himself.

As for examples of achievements, Phil said that the Cardiff Trust "funded" the white seats (that spell BLUES) in the stand and acquired a projector and screen for one of the rooms in the clubhouse. I think that things like that speak volumes in a positive way to what can be achieved.

Of course, if SG reads this forum then he can access the letter himself!!

 



Posted By: M.M.
Date Posted: 10 March 2006 at 9:35am
 I spoke to Phil B. this morning. He's considering the idea.


Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: 10 March 2006 at 1:13pm

Excellent letter - need to add that we'd be happy to meet SG or whoever if he feels necessary.



Posted By: Abbey
Date Posted: 10 March 2006 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Excellent letter - need to add that we'd be happy to meet SG or whoever if he feels necessary.

If anyone does meet, it shouldn't be on a one to one basis. Not that I don't trust him but everything that is said by the club (and us, really) needs to be witnessed.

 



Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: 10 March 2006 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Excellent letter - need to add that we'd be happy to meet SG or whoever if he feels necessary.

If anyone does meet, it shouldn't be on a one to one basis. Not that I don't trust him but everything that is said by the club (and us, really) needs to be witnessed.

Yep - I agree.



Posted By: M.M.
Date Posted: 10 March 2006 at 8:06pm
 Agree with that. Good one Bob, btw.


Posted By: Scarletrover
Date Posted: 10 March 2006 at 10:31pm

Very good letter Bob. Agree with Mike regarding more than one  to be present at any meeting.

 One possible addition could be a positive statement of what we DONT want to do, e.g. It is not our intention to oppose* / subvert* / undermine* the club officials, or management structure, rather, to help* / support* / assist* in any way we can. Working in conjunction with, not opposed to the club's officials. 

(* Delete as required.)

Secondly, possibly refer to examples of where supporters' trusts are working well at other clubs.

Thoughts?



-------------
http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9579&PN=1&TPN=1">


Posted By: Nikostratos
Date Posted: 11 March 2006 at 1:04am
Originally posted by SCARLETROVER SCARLETROVER wrote:

Very good letter Bob. Agree with Mike regarding more than one  to be present at any meeting.

 One possible addition could be a positive statement of what we DONT want to do, e.g. It is not our intention to oppose* / subvert* / undermine* the club officials, or management structure, rather, to help* / support* / assist* in any way we can. Working in conjunction with, not opposed to the club's officials. 

(* Delete as required.)

Secondly, possibly refer to examples of where supporters' trusts are working well at other clubs.

Thoughts?


I agree with the first point, although it may be better to arrange that when we arrange the meeting [if any].  It can be made to seem entirely casual then; in a letter it would seem a bit unfriendly.

I did think about adding a "what we don't want to do" section and am still not really sure.  It's all true, so could be included.  I left it out to avoid any negatives [even double ones] in the letter, but I'd be happy to add something along those lines; what does anyone else think?

The idea about an example of where an ST is working is a good one, with one proviso: I think it should be somewhere where the ST is supportive, not hostile to the club management.  What about Bristol RFC? They look pretty good.  Barry, did you get any vibes from the president?  I'd hate to send an example to SG of an ST that is, under the surface, at daggers drawn with their club's management.

Can we have any replies sorted by Monday, then I'll do the revised version and it can be sent on Tuesday.  BTW, do we use snail mail  or e-mail?  I'm happy to do the posting, in either case.  Also, do we put a list of all our names? If so, I'll need full names: signed Barry, Gar, Mike ... will look a bit shambolic.  Finally, who wants to be the contact? I'll do it if all else fails, but I'm a scruffy tyke at the best of times and unlikely to impress SG.


Posted By: Nikostratos
Date Posted: 11 March 2006 at 1:05am
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Excellent letter - need to add that we'd be happy to meet SG or whoever if he feels necessary.


It's in the last para, Mike.  If it's not clear, I can rephrase it.


Posted By: wizard
Date Posted: 11 March 2006 at 2:27pm

I can set up a temporary email account along the lines of

mailto:supporterstrust@scarletfever.org - supporterstrust@scarletfever.org

which can be accessed online by everyone.

The only clitche with using the online version, is that you dont save your sent email. So what I tend to do is BCC myself on all emails sent



Posted By: Abbey
Date Posted: 11 March 2006 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Nikostratos Nikostratos wrote:

Originally posted by SCARLETROVER SCARLETROVER wrote:

Very good letter Bob. Agree with Mike regarding more than one  to be present at any meeting.

 One possible addition could be a positive statement of what we DONT want to do, e.g. It is not our intention to oppose* / subvert* / undermine* the club officials, or management structure, rather, to help* / support* / assist* in any way we can. Working in conjunction with, not opposed to the club's officials. 

(* Delete as required.)

Secondly, possibly refer to examples of where supporters' trusts are working well at other clubs.

Thoughts?


I agree with the first point, although it may be better to arrange that when we arrange the meeting [if any].  It can be made to seem entirely casual then; in a letter it would seem a bit unfriendly.

I did think about adding a "what we don't want to do" section and am still not really sure.  It's all true, so could be included.  I left it out to avoid any negatives [even double ones] in the letter, but I'd be happy to add something along those lines; what does anyone else think?

The idea about an example of where an ST is working is a good one, with one proviso: I think it should be somewhere where the ST is supportive, not hostile to the club management.  What about Bristol RFC? They look pretty good.  Barry, did you get any vibes from the president?  I'd hate to send an example to SG of an ST that is, under the surface, at daggers drawn with their club's management.

Can we have any replies sorted by Monday, then I'll do the revised version and it can be sent on Tuesday.  BTW, do we use snail mail  or e-mail?  I'm happy to do the posting, in either case.  Also, do we put a list of all our names? If so, I'll need full names: signed Barry, Gar, Mike ... will look a bit shambolic.  Finally, who wants to be the contact? I'll do it if all else fails, but I'm a scruffy tyke at the best of times and unlikely to impress SG.

I don't think we need point out in the letter that we'd only meet in pairs. What I meant was that nothing can be denied or retracted if witnesses are present. I think that if an invitation is made, a pair of us turn up.

I agree that full names should be used. Are you happy to supply those Wayne or Gareth? For the record, I'm Alun Roderick.

I'm still trying desperately to contact the Bristol chap. I've left 3 emails and a couple of voice mails on his phone. He did say that he was working away at the moment so I'll keep trying.

As for who meets SG if required, I can't see him asking for a meeting, but we could debate that if the time comes. The letter would be sent from all of us anyway.

 



Posted By: ursamajor
Date Posted: 11 March 2006 at 10:38pm
Wayne, Mike and myself have a good relationship with Julie Payne, SG's PA.
At the very least she knows we're not part of the screaming 'Apache' brigade, as alluded to by PhilBB. Wayne and I even mentioned that a few of us were working towards setting up a trust at the members presentaion, so it shouldn't come as a bolt out of the blue.

I'd say keep it professional but also keep it informal, at least at this stage.

As to who meets up with them I'd trust anyone of us to handle it sensitively. Lets wait and see what the response is first.


Posted By: Taffscarlet
Date Posted: 12 March 2006 at 8:33pm
Guys,
First of all - apologies for being invisible over the last week or so and for missing the Sandpiper meeting. I've had things to sort out and haven't been able to committ a lot of time to 'Scarlet issues' recently (apart from getting ridulously drunk after the semi final last weekend!!)

Anyway, just to put my opinion on the record: Excellent letter Bob. I'd be more inclined to give any negatives a miss. If there's a 'what we don't want to do' section in the letter, it could fuel any doubts SG or others already have. Any doubts about the trust's aims could be discussed in a meeting as opposed to in writing. Also agree that a meeting with SG shouldn't be a 1 to 1 meeting, but I'd avoid a massive delegation as well. I'd say 2 or 3 - 4 max.
You're welcome to disagree of course! We must be open with each other from the start if this is going to be successful.

(Alan Jones by the way!)



-------------
Daw dydd y bydd mawr y rhai bychain

Daw dydd ni bydd mwy y rhai mawr.


Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: 12 March 2006 at 9:12pm

Leave the Trust email account as a contact - alternatively your address or mine if you don't want to - I'm easy.

<Mike Richards>

EDIT: address -

97 The Sand Wharf, Jim Driscoll Way, Cardiff CF11 7JN

Cheers.



Posted By: Nikostratos
Date Posted: 14 March 2006 at 11:48pm
OK, I've re-drafted the letter and I reckon I've covered most things. I haven't put in a "what we won't do" section; if SG is concerned about anything, he can ask us. 
I've PMed anyone whose full name I don't know.  If no-one has any objections, I'll send the letter on Thursday with all names recieved as signatories.


uploads/Nikostratos/2006-03-14_234843_initial_letter_to_SG_2nd_draft.doc - 2006-03-14_234843_initial_letter_to_SG_2nd_draft.doc


Posted By: ursamajor
Date Posted: 15 March 2006 at 12:11am
Great Bob.

For the record..

Gareth Davies
"Caeau Newydd"
Milo
Llandybie
Sir Gaerfyrddin
SA18 3LZ
01269 831241
Mob 0779 600 5908





Posted By: Scarletrover
Date Posted: 15 March 2006 at 1:04am

Very good indeed Bob. Formal, but very positive. I do'nt see how SG could possibly view such an approach negatively.

For the letter, or if anybody needs my details Re the trust, it's:-

Dorian Davies. 1 Crofft Cottages, Llansaint, Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire.SA17 5JH

01267 267577 or 07776 133380

                                                                                                                 



-------------
http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9579&PN=1&TPN=1">


Posted By: M.M.
Date Posted: 15 March 2006 at 6:09am

  For the record:   Barrie Jones

                            25 Heol Innes,

                            Llanelli. SA15 4LA.

                          01554 758947 or 07791 844594.



Posted By: TonduTurk
Date Posted: 15 March 2006 at 4:35pm
good letter

for info, my details are -

mark john
49 HAZEL MEAD
BRYNMENYN
BRIDGEND
CF32 9AQ

07913 056 992


Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: 16 March 2006 at 8:25pm
Has the letter been sent?


Posted By: Nikostratos
Date Posted: 17 March 2006 at 1:02am
I sent the letter last night; copy to all addressees but at or c/o Stradey. I missed the post, but it should be there on Friday.  I also sent Jo masters a copy by e-mail to make the web link etc easier to use.


Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: 17 March 2006 at 12:04pm

Excellent.

We should contact Jo on Monday to request programme space for the Munster and Ospreys matches - to raise awareness of the open meeting. Before that it would be good if we could get confirmation from Benny - any update Barrie?



Posted By: M.M.
Date Posted: 17 March 2006 at 12:41pm
 Not as yet, Mike. I haven't wanted to "push him" so to speak. I'll try and get an answer one way or another a.s.a.p. On the subject of publicity, would a leaflet / flyer to be given out to all supporters who are travelling on the official buses to Twickenham be a feasible idea?


Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: 17 March 2006 at 12:54pm

Just an opinion - but I don't think it would be cost effective, especially if we're going to write to all members anyway.

I think we need an answer from Benny by Monday in all honesty - if we can't have that then the article will have to be in the Ospreys programme solely.

EDIT: akthough, thinking about it - if we can cover the cost, that might be a good idea as it is a conversation point for people on a 3 hour journey, plus - Llanelli people like to do things in numbers so more interest could be generated by people talking amongst themselves than having a letter sent through their door.



Posted By: Abbey
Date Posted: 17 March 2006 at 4:30pm

If anyone needs any cheap photocopying done then I can run off plenty of copies at work (I'm on call Tuesday night and will have time to do some). I'll be off then on Weds and away in Stratford on Thursday and Friday before working 9am to 9pm on Saturday (rugby? what's rugby?).

The photocopier is only black and white but is fairly sophisticated in it's sizing etc (more sophisticated than me, anyway).

I'm driving to Twickenham and staying in Wimbledon rather than bussing it, but if you need flyers then don't get them printed as I can copy them.

 



Posted By: Taffscarlet
Date Posted: 17 March 2006 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Abbey Abbey wrote:

If anyone needs any cheap photocopying done then I can run off plenty of copies at work (I'm on call Tuesday night and will have time to do some). I'll be off then on Weds and away in Stratford on Thursday and Friday before working 9am to 9pm on Saturday (rugby? what's rugby?).

The photocopier is only black and white but is fairly sophisticated in it's sizing etc (more sophisticated than me, anyway).

I'm driving to Twickenham and staying in Wimbledon rather than bussing it, but if you need flyers then don't get them printed as I can copy them.



I can offer the same photocopying facility.
If someone e-mails me the flyers I'll do some copies.

For the record: I think flyers on the buses to Twickers would be a good start. Spirits will be high, everyone will be excited. We should be able to capitalise on the feelgood factor.

-------------
Daw dydd y bydd mawr y rhai bychain

Daw dydd ni bydd mwy y rhai mawr.


Posted By: M.M.
Date Posted: 17 March 2006 at 6:54pm
 Was hoping to see Phil this p.m. but got sidetracked. I'll firm it up one way or other on Monday.


Posted By: Scarletrover
Date Posted: 17 March 2006 at 9:03pm
Are all of us meeting up somewhere in Twickenham? Might be a good time for an informal meet.  

-------------
http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9579&PN=1&TPN=1">


Posted By: Abbey
Date Posted: 18 March 2006 at 11:25am

Originally posted by SCARLETROVER SCARLETROVER wrote:

Are all of us meeting up somewhere in Twickenham? Might be a good time for an informal meet.  

A local pub will be difficult if we want to meet. Anyone fancy cheekily contacting Twickenham and asking if they have any meeting rooms available free of charge?



Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: 18 March 2006 at 11:51am
We have to meet before Twickenham if we are planning the Open Meeting for wk cm: 10/4/06.


Posted By: Scarletrover
Date Posted: 18 March 2006 at 12:22pm
Agreed Mike, But it'd be good to get together on the day though, for the craic. What about this local Wetherspoons that's been mentioned on one of the threads?, since it seems that all our tickets are spread around the stadium. Though I daresay that if there are empty seats, we might be able to move closer to other Scarlets supporters during our game.    

-------------
http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9579&PN=1&TPN=1">


Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: 18 March 2006 at 12:24pm

Yeah - definitely be good to get everyone together for some beers. Prefer a traditional-type pub than Wetherspoons though.

Roll on 9 April!



Posted By: M.M.
Date Posted: 18 March 2006 at 12:39pm
 Great idea, bois. (I'm in the West Stand, row 110 btw).


Posted By: Taffscarlet
Date Posted: 18 March 2006 at 2:08pm

Good idea. I think it's mostly marquees in Twickers thoguh is it?

 I'm East stand, middle tier block 134. Why on earth are we so spread out?



-------------
Daw dydd y bydd mawr y rhai bychain

Daw dydd ni bydd mwy y rhai mawr.


Posted By: Scarletrover
Date Posted: 18 March 2006 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Yeah - definitely be good to get everyone together for some beers. Prefer a traditional-type pub than Wetherspoons though.

Roll on 9 April!

Any suggestions as to a good pub Mike? Or does anyone else know of one?



-------------
http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9579&PN=1&TPN=1">


Posted By: M.M.
Date Posted: 20 March 2006 at 9:17am
 Got into work this morning and Phil B. had already left for a day full of meetings. Can it wait for tomorrow?


Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: 20 March 2006 at 7:57pm
Yep - whenever you can nab him Barrie.


Posted By: M.M.
Date Posted: 21 March 2006 at 10:53am
 Spoke to Phil this morning and he is not available to chair our meeting. Possibly may compromise his position, I don't know. Sorry about that.


Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: 21 March 2006 at 12:16pm

Originally posted by M.M. M.M. wrote:

 Spoke to Phil this morning and he is not available to chair our meeting. Possibly may compromise his position, I don't know. Sorry about that.

What position! Ok for him to criticise GJ and SG in the press though.... Phil, mun.

Would you say it's totally out of the question then, Barrie? We're only really looking for him to lend his face to the launch, not get involved.

If so, any suggestions? Roy B, for instance?



Posted By: M.M.
Date Posted: 21 March 2006 at 1:13pm
 Yes, Mike. Totally out of the question. I have to respect his decision.


Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: 21 March 2006 at 1:17pm

Who was it that knows Roy B?

Any other suggestions? Can't see people like Ieuan or Jonathan Davies turning up.



Posted By: M.M.
Date Posted: 21 March 2006 at 1:54pm
 One of the suggestions from Supporters Direct was a local D.J. Some free publicity for Scarlet F.M. ?


Posted By: TonduTurk
Date Posted: 21 March 2006 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Who was it that knows Roy B?


Any other suggestions? Can't see people like Ieuan or Jonathan Davies turning up.


i can ask Grav if you want


Posted By: Taffscarlet
Date Posted: 21 March 2006 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by TonduTurk TonduTurk wrote:

Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Who was it that knows Roy B?


Any other suggestions? Can't see people like Ieuan or Jonathan Davies turning up.


i can ask Grav if you want


Would it be appropriate for Grav to do it with him being President of the club? I don't think so myself.

Shame because he's the most influential guy we could get.

Roy B's the best suggestion so far IMO.

Just thinking of other respected options:
Delme? I doubt if he'd be up for it, he doesn't relly do public events.
Rupert? - proably not due to his link to the 'establishment' (WRU)



-------------
Daw dydd y bydd mawr y rhai bychain

Daw dydd ni bydd mwy y rhai mawr.


Posted By: ursamajor
Date Posted: 21 March 2006 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Taffscarlet Taffscarlet wrote:

Would it be appropriate for Grav to do it with him being President of the club? I don't think so myself.

Shame because he's the most influential guy we could get.

Roy B's the best suggestion so far IMO.

Just thinking of other respected options:
Delme? I doubt if he'd be up for it, he doesn't relly do public events.
Rupert? - proably not due to his link to the 'establishment' (WRU)



Agree. Grav's a big hero of mine but too much a part of the 'establishment' and already on so many boards, including the Scarlets.
Don't think Roy B would do it - wasn't there a mutual falling out with the club some years ago?
Delme has aged quite a bit judging from the last time I heard him speak a couple of years ago.
Moon has a lot on his plate but might be a possibility?

Pity about Benny, but well done Barrie for asking.
Back to the drawing board..


Posted By: M.M.
Date Posted: 21 March 2006 at 8:16pm
 Disappointing, but even legends are human.


Posted By: Scarletrover
Date Posted: 21 March 2006 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by ursamajor ursamajor wrote:

Originally posted by Taffscarlet Taffscarlet wrote:

Would it be appropriate for Grav to do it with him being President of the club? I don't think so myself.

Shame because he's the most influential guy we could get.

Roy B's the best suggestion so far IMO.

Just thinking of other respected options:
Delme? I doubt if he'd be up for it, he doesn't relly do public events.
Rupert? - proably not due to his link to the 'establishment' (WRU)



Agree. Grav's a big hero of mine but too much a part of the 'establishment' and already on so many boards, including the Scarlets.
Don't think Roy B would do it - wasn't there a mutual falling out with the club some years ago?
Delme has aged quite a bit judging from the last time I heard him speak a couple of years ago.
Moon has a lot on his plate but might be a possibility?

Pity about Benny, but well done Barrie for asking.
Back to the drawing board..

If Grav would be prepared to do it, it would certainly be a BIG statement from him, and the club that they have no objection to the Trust, and remember, we're not asking for any sort of further commitment, just a 'face' at the inagural meeting, so if he was prepared to do so, I think he would be ideal. I also think that Grav would be prepared to do almost ANYTHING to further the cause of the Scarlets if approached by the right person, and the case is put to him well.

Roy, as far as I am aware, certainly has'nt done anything publicly as far as ther Scarlets are concerned for a long time.

Delme is in good health, and would also be good if prepared to do it, but I think that Del prefers to remain anonymous as far as possible these days, although his heart is still at Stradey, (I worked as a contractor to Western Power for several years, and Del was our liason with the company, and after every game he would  be happy to discuss performance/ tactics etc.)

Rupert- Great if he would. Anybody know him well eniugh to persuade/ask him?

Failing all that, how about a current player? After all, it's their future as much as anything we're trying to improve. Maybe Simon? 



-------------
http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9579&PN=1&TPN=1">


Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: 21 March 2006 at 8:43pm

Ask Grav I reckon.

Failing that, a current player.

Not a fan of Rupert these days, sorry.



Posted By: ursamajor
Date Posted: 21 March 2006 at 9:03pm
I'm sure Grav would do it at the drop of a hat.
He was/is also the president of the Supporters Club. He came to our inaugural party and we never saw him again. If we want a 'figurehead' to launch it then he's our man. If we want anything more in terms of representation on the board, or further involvement, then we need to consider if he would feel comfortable with it.


Posted By: Scarletrover
Date Posted: 21 March 2006 at 9:12pm
So who knows Grav best boys? the sooner he's approached (If we're all agreed) the better. We need to get things settled as soon as possible. Any volunteers?

-------------
http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9579&PN=1&TPN=1">


Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: 21 March 2006 at 9:21pm

Originally posted by ursamajor ursamajor wrote:

I'm sure Grav would do it at the drop of a hat.
He was/is also the president of the Supporters Club. He came to our inaugural party and we never saw him again. If we want a 'figurehead' to launch it then he's our man. If we want anything more in terms of representation on the board, or further involvement, then we need to consider if he would feel comfortable with it.

At this juncture we are just looking for someone to add a face/profile to the open meeting - we don't need any attachment from the person necessarily.

I think we ask Grav, personally. Time is moving on and I'm not sure the week cm 10/4 is now an option all things considered.

Maybe we need to draft something to send to Ray - things are so sketchy at the moment, it would be no wonder if people weren't sure about getting involved.

Any word back from SG?

Maybe we all need to meet up next week to see where things are.



Posted By: Mike
Date Posted: 21 March 2006 at 9:22pm

Originally posted by SCARLETROVER SCARLETROVER wrote:

So who knows Grav best boys? the sooner he's approached (If we're all agreed) the better. We need to get things settled as soon as possible. Any volunteers?

Mark (TT) has offered to get in touch - although, as I say, I think we need to have something in writing so that potential guests know what they are saying yes to!



Posted By: TonduTurk
Date Posted: 22 March 2006 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Originally posted by SCARLETROVER SCARLETROVER wrote:

So who knows Grav best boys? the sooner he's approached (If we're all agreed) the better. We need to get things settled as soon as possible. Any volunteers?

Mark (TT) has offered to get in touch - although, as I say, I think we need to have something in writing so that potential guests know what they are saying yes to!

i can ask him but as mike says we need to work out exactly what we're asking him to do


Posted By: Nikostratos
Date Posted: 22 March 2006 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by TonduTurk TonduTurk wrote:

Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Originally posted by SCARLETROVER SCARLETROVER wrote:

So who knows Grav best boys? the sooner he's approached (If we're all agreed) the better. We need to get things settled as soon as possible. Any volunteers?

Mark (TT) has offered to get in touch - although, as I say, I think we need to have something in writing so that potential guests know what they are saying yes to!

i can ask him but as mike says we need to work out exactly what we're asking him to do

I think that all we're asking is for him to attend the open meeting and say a few words of introduction there. If he wants to do more at a later date, he can volunteer then, if not, he can leave it at that or just be a member.


Posted By: Scarletrover
Date Posted: 22 March 2006 at 11:11pm
Might be an idea to give Grav a copy of the Supporters Trust handbook.

-------------
http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9579&PN=1&TPN=1">


Posted By: Nikostratos
Date Posted: 24 March 2006 at 12:16am
Originally posted by SCARLETROVER SCARLETROVER wrote:

Might be an idea to give Grav a copy of the Supporters Trust handbook.

That's a real brick, though; can't see him reading all that.  Maybe one of the little booklet thingies that came with it might be better.



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net