Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > AROUND THE REGION
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quarter Final Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 12:30am
Originally posted by najbritcol najbritcol wrote:

An absolutely dreadful result, but to repeat: English Championship is fully professional, Welsh Premiership isn't.  Despite that, Pontypridd, Cross Keys and Llanelli did quite well in the British & Irish Cup.  I know the former in particular were very upset and angry when the Premiership Select sides were introduced.  Furthermore, Ireland also send 'A' teams of their provinces, so their semi-professional rugby can't be that brilliant either.

What has that got to do with anything.  Half the team have played in Pro 12 team?
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 5:10am
I'd suggest we are comparing a team with a group of players, it is also fair to say that the vast majority of our players ply their trade in the Prem, or ' travelling reserves' for the Scarlets, regardless of contractual status

The answer isn't really in comparing the player profiles or contractual status, it's in the team preparation, time together, drills, general organisation and possibly leadership.

Having said that there is no excuse for any team put out to capitulate the way these guys did in the last 20-30. Ealing are bang in form, only lost 1 game this year ( and that by a point to un-beaten London Irish), and could well finish 2nd in the Championship, they are also well bankrolled' but the scoreline is a humiliation to those guys who pulled on the shirt, hope it hurts, it should.

I think we have made a great call in escalating this tournament in our priorities this season. We went well in the group, but we can't overlook the 60 point drubbing out in Ireland any more than we can overlook this one.

The top end of the English Championship is very competitive, and all vying for the big money in the Prem, maybe we should try to get a pre season set of games for this team with the likes of Nottinghsm, Jersey etc...arrange maybe an inter Wales comp between the 4 teams too...we at least create an identity for the team, a structure and focus too.

To me it's a better development platform than the Anglo Welsh ( more games and its a clear second tier event...the point of reference of the Anglo Welsh has become clouded with some teams putting out virtual first teams, others using it as pure development).

Oh,and let's call it Scarlets A, which is what it is. Helps with the identity.

Edited by Wil Chips - 12 March 2017 at 6:16am
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 7:26am
Best post on this subject. Build the concept of Scarlets A
Bryn@man View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryn@man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 8:36am
Ealing Trailfinders reached the semifinals of the British and Irish Cup for the first time after they ran in 12 tries against the Scarlets Premiership Select XV.

It was a dominant performance from Ben Ward’s side and after an early scare they took a firm grip on proceedings and held it to the final whistle. Their physicality and organisation in defence stopped the Welsh side from breaking through and then when they went on the attack they were ruthless in taking their chances. 

Nonetheless Scarlets started the stronger and after Gareth Owen had powered his way through the home side’s defence, his partner in the centres Richard Smith dotted down in the corner for a try that Billy McBryde converted. 

Rory Clegg slotted a penalty to calm nerves and soon after Arthur Ellis took Rayn Smid’s pass to finish off a slick passing move. 

Clegg added his second penalty and then his soft hands set Aled Jenkins free to wiggle through the Scarlets defence to round fullback Aled Thomas and score. Then as halftime drew nearer Curtis Wilson outpaced Scarlets captain Morgan Allen to gather his kick-through and touch down. 

After the break there was no let-up and James Cordy-Redden took little time to score in the corner before fullback Will Harries swooped on a loose ball to scoot round behind the posts. 

As the game opened up Smid and Mark Bright began to relish running at the Scarlets defence and both were rewarded by ending the match on the scoresheet. 

Scarlets continued to give their all and while Jack Maynard added energy off the bench they were still unable to find a way past Ealing Trailfinders’ defence. 

In the last 10 minutes Joe Munro, Lewis Jones and Josh Davies finished off swift counter-attacks to cap an impressive performance and set up a semifinal away to either Munster A or Ulster A over the first weekend of April. 

Scorers
Ealing Trailfinders
Tries (Ellis 16, Jenkins 27, Wilson 38, 68 Cordy-Redden 44, 70, Harries 53, Smid 57, Bright 65, Davies 72, Lewis Jones 75, Munro 77), Conversions (Clegg 27, 38, 53, 57, 65, 70, 72, 75, 77), Penalties (Clegg 11, 22)
Scarlets Premiership Select
Tries (Richard Smith 6), Conversions (McBryde 6)

Ealing Trailfinders
Will Harries, James Cordy-Redden, Aled Jenkins, Joe Munro, Curtis Wilson, Rory Clegg, Luke Carter; Will Davis, Alun Walker, Lewis Thiede, Llewelyn Jones, Glen Townson, Rayn Smid, Arthur Ellis, Mark Bright (captain)
Reserves
Matt Cornish, James Gibbons, Alex Penny, Harry Casson, Willie Ryan, Josh Davies, Lewis Jones
Scarlets Premiership Select
Aled Thomas, Tom Williams, Richard Smith, Gareth Owen, Matthew Owen, Billy McBryde, Declan Smith; Luke Garett, Daf Hughes, Nicky Thomas, Josh Helps, Rynier Barnardo, Jack Condy, Tom Phillips, Morgan Allen (captain)
Reserves
Rhys Fawcett, Taylor Davies, Haven Sabastian, Joe Powell, Shaun Evans, Connor Lloyd, Jack Maynard

Referee – Nigel Correll
Attendance – 650
STORM Watches Man of the Match – Curtis Wilson

http://ealingtrailfinders1stxv.com/news/ealing-trailfinders-84-7-scarlets-prem-select

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 9:17am
It's pretty obvious the team were totally outclassed - disappointing.

Let's accept that part of the reason came from time together and so better systems and preparation - I notice that quite a few of the Ealing players have Welsh names... are any of them in positions where the Scarlets are lacking cover? If so, could they be tempted back to Wales?

(trying to find a positive here...!)
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 10:26am
I was wondering how Llywellyn Jones went in the row?

Edited by Wil Chips - 12 March 2017 at 10:44am
PritchyTheScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Young Munster 2004 - Neyland RFC Tour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PritchyTheScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 10:32am
I'm only now fully coming to terms with that result yesterday! A team 4/5 Scarlets in it should never be losing by such a scoreline. Ealing's first few tries were good, but after that they were scoring at will. We had a good team out yesterday, but as a I said before Ealing play together every week and that showed in their understanding and cohesiveness. Despite the result, a good day out, very impressed by Ealing's facilities.
“Gareth Edwards just ran 30 yards and got a Knighthood, I sidestepped five players and got arthritis in both knees.” - Benny
solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 12:16pm
Not recovered from the shock of seeing that debacle yesterday.  Too many threw the towel in.  It was embarassing to watch. It's done the reputation of the Scarlets no good at all up there.  Most of the Ealing folks near me were under the impression that it was the Scarlets' second team, not a scratch squad from the clubs. In the programme - 'As befits a region that gave the world George North, Phil Bennett and Jonathan Davies, The Scarlets play an open brand of running rugby and are keen to run the ball from anywhere.'     Well they would have been disappointed.  And we just dismayed. A terrible afternoon.
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I was wondering how Llywellyn Jones went in the row?

Not sure, Wil, although we lost umpteen of our own line-out throws, some of whom were in decent attacking positions, so he must have been contributing to that.

All in all a very poor performance with loads of missed tackles and an inability to cross the gainline
giving Ealing an easier victory than perhaps might have been.

I'd hope that Wayne Pivac, who was there, will ask for a debrief from the coaches as to what happened

Good side Ealing, mind, and a great set up there. Nice welcome from them too.

pêl rygbi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pêl rygbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by solva solva wrote:

Not recovered from the shock of seeing that debacle yesterday.  Too many threw the towel in.  It was embarassing to watch. It's done the reputation of the Scarlets no good at all up there.  Most of the Ealing folks near me were under the impression that it was the Scarlets' second team, not a scratch squad from the clubs. In the programme - 'As befits a region that gave the world George North, Phil Bennett and Jonathan Davies, The Scarlets play an open brand of running rugby and are keen to run the ball from anywhere.'     Well they would have been disappointed.  And we just dismayed. A terrible afternoon.

Well did anyone see that coming?  - Scarlet web site headline -'Scarlets name strong side for quarter-final clash' -the side put out should have held their own. Premiership sides have given good account of themselves in the past. I don't buy this argument they haven’t played together. So, for me it was about lack of performance whether that be a coaching issue or players not fronting up. Would be interesting to see some video clips. There has been a change of emphasis this year to use more experienced players rather than the Gareth Jenkins model of blooding inexperienced academy players who then lose and get kicked out of the system. If the select sides are to continue this is the better model to create a winning mentality. However, there is an argument to go back to the premiership system because it creates greater interest, revenue and experience these clubs need. I seem to remember clubs in the premiership gave good account of themselves. But whatever I hope there will be debate so something can be learned from this to encourage change. None of the other regions have progressed so there is something wrong.

Rugby Supporter
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 2:26pm
I posted this link a few months ago but it`s worth repeating after yesterday. It`s a very good article about the Championship

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38650116

Yes, a nice result for Ealing but then what?? They won`t get promoted to the Premiership and even if they did, they`d be relegated after 1 season. The result yesterday, the Championship and Ealings very existence (like a number of clubs) all just seems a bit pointless and futile unless your aim is to get into The Premiership.
In Pivac we trust
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 5:01pm
Just because they were a team playing mainly Welsh Prem doesnt excuse the lineout or the tackling. Back to school boys. Honestly think a few of them wont feature in a Scarlet jersey again. No one has mentioned that they also had Rory Clegg at 10 who is an excellent O/H.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

I posted this link a few months ago but it`s worth repeating after yesterday. It`s a very good article about the Championship

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38650116

Yes, a nice result for Ealing but then what?? They won`t get promoted to the Premiership and even if they did, they`d be relegated after 1 season. The result yesterday, the Championship and Ealings very existence (like a number of clubs) all just seems a bit pointless and futile unless your aim is to get into The Premiership.

You could have said that about Exeter 10 years ago but I have just watched them qualify for the anglo welsh final giving Harlequins (who included that outstanding-just out of youth rugby- prospect Adam JonesConfused) a bit of a pasting with a young team. Exeter are now beginning to challenge for major trophies and are bringing forward lots of young players to International honours. And they probably do the whole "get kids fit"/community rugby thing that I am sure Ealing also do. 99.99% of all English clubs play outside the premiereship  but do so quite happily.  

reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 8:28pm
No  disrespect at all to our coaches as I really do not know whom they had available to them to play for this game or who they wanted to play the game, which I guess might frustrate supporters as we just don't know who to look to ( I won't use the word blame as it's the wrong word in the context of the way we are able to  select this team). 

I just don't think using words like a "strong" Scarlets team is sensible on reflection when we lose in such a humiliating way. That may be PR but it makes it even more devestating when we lose 84-7 . It raises hopes to be not just dashed but utterly smashed. Time to think before we talk as its very damaging.

Also I have no idea how many times Ealing were watched and analysed and again I suspect it's money related. 

Lessons of magnitude here to be learned. 
Back to the WRU drawing board? 
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 10:18am
Originally posted by John John wrote:

You could have said that about Exeter 10 years ago but I have just watched them qualify for the anglo welsh final giving Harlequins (who included that outstanding-just out of youth rugby- prospect Adam JonesConfused) a bit of a pasting with a young team. Exeter are now beginning to challenge for major trophies and are bringing forward lots of young players to International honours. And they probably do the whole "get kids fit"/community rugby thing that I am sure Ealing also do. 99.99% of all English clubs play outside the premiership  but do so quite happily.  

Exeter have done well and it was in their favour that they got to the top before The Cornish Pirates. That part of England was crying out for a team in the top division. I don`t think the same applies to Ealing. 

I just think the Anglo/welsh and B&I cup is an utter mess that is unfathomable to most supporters and doesn`t attract anyone but the most dedicated. Better off having one competition, marketing it well and concentrating TV money/coverage and sponsorship. 
In Pivac we trust
solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 10:49am
[/QUOTE]
I just think the Anglo/welsh and B&I cup is an utter mess that is unfathomable to most supporters and doesn`t attract anyone but the most dedicated. Better off having one competition, marketing it well and concentrating TV money/coverage and sponsorship. 
[/QUOTE]

Agree, can't see the point of the current two competitions.    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic