Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > ORDERED > Music Room
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

R.E.M. call it a day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R.E.M. call it a day
    Posted: 21 September 2011 at 7:43pm
Probably for the best. They were starting to get rather turgid.

Loved "Near Wild Heaven" and "Find the River" though.
Sponsored Links

A Evans View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 8:09pm
Aye they have given us some decent stuff but they should have jacked it years ago.
We are Con Air. You will be assimilated. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 9:08pm
"Shiny happy people" - urban anthem.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 9:24pm
I think Losing My Religion is a perfect pop song.

They were never the same after Bill Berry left though
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Having the ukulele (I think it is?) riff in it and general sombreness makes it a bit different I think. Lyrics which seem meaningful at first but are actually fairly mundane. Powerful music video, song is much better when watching it. So yeah, pop but as though they think they're more.

Same goes for Everybody Hurts - those two songs are basically REM for me.

Edited by dr_martinov - 21 September 2011 at 9:47pm
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 9:48pm
I think it was a Mandolin.

Everybody Hurts is a bit of a cliche song for me. I think its just been overplayed. They have far better ones.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 9:51pm
Mandolin sorry. Losing my religion has also been overplayed for me - that is the downside to experiencing VH1 as a kid!
RedZep View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedZep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 9:56pm
Liked the heavier phase they went through with "What's the Frequency, Kenneth" and "Bang and Blame"

"Night Swimming" their best ballad for me.
'' Know your three R's, son..... Rugby, Rock and Ridin'!! ''
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 11:09pm
After "New Adventures...." they were pretty much a spent force creatively. I've seen them a few times over the years (inc Hammersmith Palais 84'ish/Arms Park mid 90's/Earls Court etc) and they always delivered the goods live. Arms Park was my fave on the "Monster" tour when they previewed much of "New...".
Great band in their prime, "Finest Worksong" does it for me, and "Green" is their stand out album.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2011 at 5:38am
I often think of them stealing the crowd in an U2 gig in the MK bowl ions ago ('85 or '86). Pissed down all day and everyone was pretty down...Spear of Destiny, the Ramones and Billy Bragg (who nearly got his head kicked off) did nothing to get the crowd going...then these guys came on and it really took off.
Fresh faced and hugely talented...

Losing my religion is a memorable song personnally, so it will always resonate through time but their populist tracks were often not their best.

People generally point to Automatic for the People as the definitive album, but to me their best was Out of Time (tracks like Texarcana and Belong are more my sort of preference from them).

Can't comment on whether their time is up as I haven't listened to much of their 21st century stuff.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2011 at 9:34am
they were a fantastic band. the new album, which has turned out to be the last deserves more credit imo. its a real grower. not as good as out of time and automatic for the people, but imo, a real good album.

shame.

what i would have given to see stipe and cobain form together as stipe wanted to try help save cobain. that could have really been something.

RIP REM though.
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2011 at 9:39am
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

They were never the same after Bill Berry left though

Some of my best dancing techniques were during that song in Barons.......Big smileBig smileBig smile

In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic