Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rainbow Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 16>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2021 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

If we do use it to blood players I hope people won’t be up in arms at any big defeats. That’ll be slightly hypocritical. 
I’d rather do poorly in this Rainbow Cup and excel next season in the league and Europe than go through another Sale experience. 
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)
Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2021 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

What we need to do is target EVERY game as a must win.  We have two and a half weeks to prepare for the first game.  There should be no time off for the players or coaches.  We should field our strongest 23 each game ( this will inevitably include youngsters as well as returning oldsters).  Any player not showing commitment to the cause should be left out of the match day squad whether he be a 'star' or 'squad fodder.'
If we treat these games as friendlies then the Scarlets will lose even more credibility in the eyes of supporters and pundits.  Do you think the Irish teams are no going to target this competition as an opportunity to win silverware.  They will be busting a gut to win it, as should we.

Any player not showing committment - well thats the starting 15 from Sunday gone for a start. This is a mickey mouse tournament with one thing in mind - TV revenue. Play the youngsters who will be available for us next season - if Jac & Osian miss out so be it. Also the board should insist that new coaches - possibly from the academy, people like Emyr Phillips etc be given the coaching reins. With any luck Delaney, Whiffin & Flannagan have already been told they will not be required next season. 

Don't rubbish TV money, it's the lifeblood of the game.  If we want more TV money in the future we need to take ALL competitions seriously and that includes the Rainbow Cup.  If no one tunes in because the product is poor the well will soon run dry and we will be back to amateur rugby in Wales in the near future.
not if it goes straight in the unions pockets and not ours.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2021 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

What we need to do is target EVERY game as a must win.  We have two and a half weeks to prepare for the first game.  There should be no time off for the players or coaches.  We should field our strongest 23 each game ( this will inevitably include youngsters as well as returning oldsters).  Any player not showing commitment to the cause should be left out of the match day squad whether he be a 'star' or 'squad fodder.'
If we treat these games as friendlies then the Scarlets will lose even more credibility in the eyes of supporters and pundits.  Do you think the Irish teams are no going to target this competition as an opportunity to win silverware.  They will be busting a gut to win it, as should we.

Any player not showing committment - well thats the starting 15 from Sunday gone for a start. This is a mickey mouse tournament with one thing in mind - TV revenue. Play the youngsters who will be available for us next season - if Jac & Osian miss out so be it. Also the board should insist that new coaches - possibly from the academy, people like Emyr Phillips etc be given the coaching reins. With any luck Delaney, Whiffin & Flannagan have already been told they will not be required next season. 

Don't rubbish TV money, it's the lifeblood of the game.  If we want more TV money in the future we need to take ALL competitions seriously and that includes the Rainbow Cup.  If no one tunes in because the product is poor the well will soon run dry and we will be back to amateur rugby in Wales in the near future.
not if it goes straight in the unions pockets and not ours.
And this is one of the main reasons the regions struggle 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Maple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2021 at 6:43pm
To hell with the Rainbow Cup, we have to revamp whole areas at PYS. I would say first priority: Install a completely new coaching set-up with fresh ideas and ambition.
p.s. Letting Jac Morgan go is complete madness.
Give Blood, Play Rugby
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2021 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Maple Maple wrote:

To hell with the Rainbow Cup, we have to revamp whole areas at PYS. I would say first priority: Install a completely new coaching set-up with fresh ideas and ambition.

He wanted to go. We didn’t ‘let him go’. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2021 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Maple Maple wrote:

For the love of god we didn’t let him go, he wanted to leave. There’s a whole thread on it if you still haven’t grasped this. 
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2021 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Simon Muderack will be appearing on the Scrum V pod cast this week. Scrum V's instagram profile have a link to submit any questions people would like to ask. 
I hope they've got a few hours.
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2021 at 8:13pm
We have a few potential Lions that need to show Gatland they're worthy of a place, that should be incentive enough for them at least.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2021 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

We have a few potential Lions that need to show Gatland they're worthy of a place, that should be incentive enough for them at least.
Gatland will judge them on their Wales performances. I don’t think he’ll care what they do in a Scarlets shirt 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
N14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2021 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

Gatland will judge them on their Wales performances. I don’t think he’ll care what they do in a Scarlets shirt 

Quite right. Performing at club level and test level are two totally different ball games. Gatland won’t pay too much attention to club form and rightly so - the 6 Nations was realistically the players’ final chance to impress
Jones2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2021 at 10:45pm
I can’t remember if it was in this topic or another that there was talk about the Scrum V interview but this is an article with some of the quotes from the interview if anyone doesn’t want to / have the time to listen to the podcast: 
P.S: If it was in a different topic and someone wants to copy / move it into that topic feel free to do so.
gorau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2021 at 11:45pm
Doesn't sound too positive that Dwayne is coming. I listened to the interview, Simon was very honest. I have no doubt he and the board will make the business successful. 

I also noted the squad is being trimmed down to 50. It's been announced already that Jake Ball, Tevita Ratuva, Werner Kruger, Jac Morgan and Uzair Cassiem are leaving. Strong rumours that Osian Knott is heading to the Ospreys and Paul Asquith is also leaving.  

Who else might leave? I can possibly see Danny Drake, Dylan Evans (hasn't featured much in recent years - plus Steff Thomas and Kelmsley Mathias are doing well) and one or two of our hookers also leaving (we have 7 on our books - Ken, Ryan, Marc Jones, Taylor Davies, Dafydd Hughes, Shaun Evans and Dom Booth).  Who else? Tom Phillips? Ioan Nicholas? 
eds
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 12:12am
Originally posted by gorau gorau wrote:

Doesn't sound too positive that Dwayne is coming. I listened to the interview, Simon was very honest. I have no doubt he and the board will make the business successful. 

I also noted the squad is being trimmed down to 50. It's been announced already that Jake Ball, Tevita Ratuva, Werner Kruger, Jac Morgan and Uzair Cassiem are leaving. Strong rumours that Osian Knott is heading to the Ospreys and Paul Asquith is also leaving.  

Who else might leave? I can possibly see Danny Drake, Dylan Evans (hasn't featured much in recent years - plus Steff Thomas and Kelmsley Mathias are doing well) and one or two of our hookers also leaving (we have 7 on our books - Ken, Ryan, Marc Jones, Taylor Davies, Dafydd Hughes, Shaun Evans and Dom Booth).  Who else? Tom Phillips? Ioan Nicholas? 
Losing Drake would put us down to almost nothing at lock, hope he stays. We could probably shift a few hookers. I’d say 4-5 including Ken. It doesn’t help us when Elias is part of the Welsh squad but then doesn’t play for them or us.
gorau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 12:19am
I just suggested Drake as he hasn't featured much. He looks promising for sure. 

I can see lock, open side and in the back line being areas we'll target for new recruits. Perhaps, 2 new locks and then the likes of Drake, Kennedy, Shingler and Iestyn Rees as blindsides who can also pack down at lock. Then one new open side and perhaps 2 new back line players, a pacy winger and then an option at centre. 

Simon mentioned looking at players who are Welsh who have left Wales 'to further their rugby education' who might be looking at a return as potential targets, could we be looking at Dan Thomas, Thomas Young, or Tommy Reffell to fill the gap left by Jac Morgan. 
eds
Tony Clifton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Clifton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 12:21am

I just suggested Drake as he hasn't featured much. He looks promising for sure. 

I can see lock, open side and in the back line being areas we'll target for new recruits. Perhaps, 2 new locks and then the likes of Drake, Kennedy, Shingler and Iestyn Rees as blindsides who can also pack down at lock. Then one new open side and perhaps 2 new back line players, a pacy winger and then an option at centre. 

Simon mentioned looking at players who are Welsh who have left Wales 'to further their rugby education' who might be looking at a return as potential targets, could we be looking at Dan Thomas, Thomas Young, or Tommy Reffell to fill the gap left by Jac Morgan. 
Assume Blade goes then? Or is he not up?

Dan Thomas would be an excellent signing, very close to first choice battling it with a fit Macleod.
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 1:00am

Johnny McNicholl and Tom Prydie, maybe. Perhaps Homer too. The prospect of international caps helped us retain McNicholl when his contract was last up. He’ll be 31 at the start of next season and with his chances of breaking into the Wales team looking remote a big contract in Japan will be tempting. 

I thought Muderack was pretty coy answering the Peel question. He hinted that the replacement of Mulvihill, who was meant to be Dwayne’s boss, may be a factor and confirmed that he had spoken to him, although he was careful not to divulge what about. It seems like we’re waiting it out and hoping that Cardiff will release Dwayne from his Cardiff contract without us having to pay a transfer fee. Cardiff are saying they expect Peel to join in the summer, but must be looking at contingency plans and will be hoping that we hurry up and approach them to start negotiating a fee so they can secure the replacement they want. I think both sides are trying to bluff each other that they’re happy for Dwayne to take up the post in Cardiff. It’s a shame we didn’t decide he was the man for us a few months ago when he was free to sign for whoever he wanted. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 16>
  Share Topic