Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SUPPORTERS TRUST NEWS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recap of last night’s meeting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikostratos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2006 at 1:04am
Originally posted by SCARLETROVER SCARLETROVER wrote:

Very good letter Bob. Agree with Mike regarding more than one  to be present at any meeting.

One possible addition could be a positive statement of what we DONT want to do, e.g. It is not our intention to oppose* / subvert* / undermine* the club officials, or management structure, rather, to help* / support* / assist* in any way we can. Working in conjunction with, not opposed to the club's officials. 

(* Delete as required.)

Secondly, possibly refer to examples of where supporters' trusts are working well at other clubs.

Thoughts?

I agree with the first point, although it may be better to arrange that when we arrange the meeting [if any].  It can be made to seem entirely casual then; in a letter it would seem a bit unfriendly.

I did think about adding a "what we don't want to do" section and am still not really sure.  It's all true, so could be included.  I left it out to avoid any negatives [even double ones] in the letter, but I'd be happy to add something along those lines; what does anyone else think?

The idea about an example of where an ST is working is a good one, with one proviso: I think it should be somewhere where the ST is supportive, not hostile to the club management.  What about Bristol RFC? They look pretty good.  Barry, did you get any vibes from the president?  I'd hate to send an example to SG of an ST that is, under the surface, at daggers drawn with their club's management.

Can we have any replies sorted by Monday, then I'll do the revised version and it can be sent on Tuesday.  BTW, do we use snail mail  or e-mail?  I'm happy to do the posting, in either case.  Also, do we put a list of all our names? If so, I'll need full names: signed Barry, Gar, Mike ... will look a bit shambolic.  Finally, who wants to be the contact? I'll do it if all else fails, but I'm a scruffy tyke at the best of times and unlikely to impress SG.
Sponsored Links

Nikostratos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikostratos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2006 at 1:05am
Originally posted by Mike Mike wrote:

Excellent letter - need to add that we'd be happy to meet SG or whoever if he feels necessary.

It's in the last para, Mike.  If it's not clear, I can rephrase it.
wizard View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
No Longer An Admin of SF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2006 at 2:27pm

I can set up a temporary email account along the lines of

supporterstrust@scarletfever.org

which can be accessed online by everyone.

The only clitche with using the online version, is that you dont save your sent email. So what I tend to do is BCC myself on all emails sent

Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2006 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Nikostratos Nikostratos wrote:

Originally posted by SCARLETROVER SCARLETROVER wrote:

Very good letter Bob. Agree with Mike regarding more than one  to be present at any meeting.

One possible addition could be a positive statement of what we DONT want to do, e.g. It is not our intention to oppose* / subvert* / undermine* the club officials, or management structure, rather, to help* / support* / assist* in any way we can. Working in conjunction with, not opposed to the club's officials. 

(* Delete as required.)

Secondly, possibly refer to examples of where supporters' trusts are working well at other clubs.

Thoughts?

I agree with the first point, although it may be better to arrange that when we arrange the meeting [if any].  It can be made to seem entirely casual then; in a letter it would seem a bit unfriendly.

I did think about adding a "what we don't want to do" section and am still not really sure.  It's all true, so could be included.  I left it out to avoid any negatives [even double ones] in the letter, but I'd be happy to add something along those lines; what does anyone else think?

The idea about an example of where an ST is working is a good one, with one proviso: I think it should be somewhere where the ST is supportive, not hostile to the club management.  What about Bristol RFC? They look pretty good.  Barry, did you get any vibes from the president?  I'd hate to send an example to SG of an ST that is, under the surface, at daggers drawn with their club's management.

Can we have any replies sorted by Monday, then I'll do the revised version and it can be sent on Tuesday.  BTW, do we use snail mail  or e-mail?  I'm happy to do the posting, in either case.  Also, do we put a list of all our names? If so, I'll need full names: signed Barry, Gar, Mike ... will look a bit shambolic.  Finally, who wants to be the contact? I'll do it if all else fails, but I'm a scruffy tyke at the best of times and unlikely to impress SG.

I don't think we need point out in the letter that we'd only meet in pairs. What I meant was that nothing can be denied or retracted if witnesses are present. I think that if an invitation is made, a pair of us turn up.

I agree that full names should be used. Are you happy to supply those Wayne or Gareth? For the record, I'm Alun Roderick.

I'm still trying desperately to contact the Bristol chap. I've left 3 emails and a couple of voice mails on his phone. He did say that he was working away at the moment so I'll keep trying.

As for who meets SG if required, I can't see him asking for a meeting, but we could debate that if the time comes. The letter would be sent from all of us anyway.

ursamajor View Drop Down
Founder
Founder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ursamajor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2006 at 10:38pm
Wayne, Mike and myself have a good relationship with Julie Payne, SG's PA.
At the very least she knows we're not part of the screaming 'Apache' brigade, as alluded to by PhilBB. Wayne and I even mentioned that a few of us were working towards setting up a trust at the members presentaion, so it shouldn't come as a bolt out of the blue.

I'd say keep it professional but also keep it informal, at least at this stage.

As to who meets up with them I'd trust anyone of us to handle it sensitively. Lets wait and see what the response is first.
Taffscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2006 at 8:33pm
Guys,
First of all - apologies for being invisible over the last week or so and for missing the Sandpiper meeting. I've had things to sort out and haven't been able to committ a lot of time to 'Scarlet issues' recently (apart from getting ridulously drunk after the semi final last weekend!!)

Anyway, just to put my opinion on the record: Excellent letter Bob. I'd be more inclined to give any negatives a miss. If there's a 'what we don't want to do' section in the letter, it could fuel any doubts SG or others already have. Any doubts about the trust's aims could be discussed in a meeting as opposed to in writing. Also agree that a meeting with SG shouldn't be a 1 to 1 meeting, but I'd avoid a massive delegation as well. I'd say 2 or 3 - 4 max.
You're welcome to disagree of course! We must be open with each other from the start if this is going to be successful.

(Alan Jones by the way!)

Edited by Taffscarlet
Daw dydd y bydd mawr y rhai bychain

Daw dydd ni bydd mwy y rhai mawr.
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2006 at 9:12pm

Leave the Trust email account as a contact - alternatively your address or mine if you don't want to - I'm easy.

<Mike Richards>

EDIT: address -

97 The Sand Wharf, Jim Driscoll Way, Cardiff CF11 7JN

Cheers.

Edited by Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikostratos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2006 at 11:48pm
OK, I've re-drafted the letter and I reckon I've covered most things. I haven't put in a "what we won't do" section; if SG is concerned about anything, he can ask us. 
I've PMed anyone whose full name I don't know.  If no-one has any objections, I'll send the letter on Thursday with all names recieved as signatories.

2006-03-14_234843_initial_letter_to_SG_2nd_draft.doc
ursamajor View Drop Down
Founder
Founder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ursamajor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2006 at 12:11am
Great Bob.

For the record..

Gareth Davies
"Caeau Newydd"
Milo
Llandybie
Sir Gaerfyrddin
SA18 3LZ
01269 831241
Mob 0779 600 5908

Scarletrover View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2006 at 1:04am

Very good indeed Bob. Formal, but very positive. I do'nt see how SG could possibly view such an approach negatively.

For the letter, or if anybody needs my details Re the trust, it's:-

Dorian Davies. 1 Crofft Cottages, Llansaint, Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire.SA17 5JH

01267 267577 or 07776 133380

M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2006 at 6:09am

For the record:   Barrie Jones

25 Heol Innes,

Llanelli. SA15 4LA.

01554 758947 or 07791 844594.

TonduTurk View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
"Views my own"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonduTurk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2006 at 4:35pm
good letter

for info, my details are -

mark john
49 HAZEL MEAD
BRYNMENYN
BRIDGEND
CF32 9AQ

07913 056 992
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2006 at 8:25pm
Has the letter been sent?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikostratos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2006 at 1:02am
I sent the letter last night; copy to all addressees but at or c/o Stradey. I missed the post, but it should be there on Friday.  I also sent Jo masters a copy by e-mail to make the web link etc easier to use.
Mike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2006 at 12:04pm

Excellent.

We should contact Jo on Monday to request programme space for the Munster and Ospreys matches - to raise awareness of the open meeting. Before that it would be good if we could get confirmation from Benny - any update Barrie?

M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2006 at 12:41pm
 Not as yet, Mike. I haven't wanted to "push him" so to speak. I'll try and get an answer one way or another a.s.a.p. On the subject of publicity, would a leaflet / flyer to be given out to all supporters who are travelling on the official buses to Twickenham be a feasible idea?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic