Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Review of 6N commentators and pundits

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review of 6N commentators and pundits
    Posted: 21 March 2021 at 10:18am
If Scarlet Fever were contracted at vast expense to be in charge of broadcasting for future TV presentation of rugby:

Who would you select?
Who would you consider past their use by date?

Let’s say the positions are

Studio anchor
Pundits from each nation
Commentators and experts who assist them

There may be other categories, however, that’s a decent start.

For me,

Studio anchor - Mark Pougatch
Pundits in country alphabetical order
England - Maggie Alphonsi, Ben Kay, Flatman
Italy - struggling a bit here. Campagnaro did ok yesterday
Ireland - Best does ok, BOD 
Scotland - John Barclay, 
Wales - Philippa Tuttiett, Mike Philips, Hook maybe, Warburton obviously and Jamie Roberts too

Commentators - Andrew Cotter, Nick Mullins 
Geordan Murphy was very good yesterday. I’d keep Brian Moore, too.

Probably missed a few obvious folk, however, it’s a vast topic.

On the “no thanks, you’ve had your time and/or come back if you can prove your objectivity”
The game’s gone soft brigade plus Woodward, Dallaglio, Inverdale, Shane, Stephen Ferris and a few we suffer with on Premier Sports. Some of these guys, Ferris for example, comes out with some right old rubbish on social media.

Would love to hear more from, was it Shane Byrne? He was very objective and full of wit in the odd time I’ve heard him.

Over to you folk

In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2021 at 10:32am
Campagnaro is out for injury, he s starting to play a bit with Harlequins team A...
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2021 at 10:32am
I think you could add Shanklin to the "NO" category
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
gnasher1975 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnasher1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2021 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

If Scarlet Fever were contracted at vast expense to be in charge of broadcasting for future TV presentation of rugby:

Who would you select?
Who would you consider past their use by date?

Let’s say the positions are

Studio anchor
Pundits from each nation
Commentators and experts who assist them

There may be other categories, however, that’s a decent start.

For me,

Studio anchor - Mark Pougatch
Pundits in country alphabetical order
England - Maggie Alphonsi, Ben Kay, Flatman
Italy - struggling a bit here. Campagnaro did ok yesterday
Ireland - Best does ok, BOD 
Scotland - John Barclay, 
Wales - Philippa Tuttiett, Mike Philips, Hook maybe, Warburton obviously and Jamie Roberts too

Commentators - Andrew Cotter, Nick Mullins 
Geordan Murphy was very good yesterday. I’d keep Brian Moore, too.

Probably missed a few obvious folk, however, it’s a vast topic.

On the “no thanks, you’ve had your time and/or come back if you can prove your objectivity”
The game’s gone soft brigade plus Woodward, Dallaglio, Inverdale, Shane, Stephen Ferris and a few we suffer with on Premier Sports. Some of these guys, Ferris for example, comes out with some right old rubbish on social media.

Would love to hear more from, was it Shane Byrne? He was very objective and full of wit in the odd time I’ve heard him.

Over to you folk

I would add Dylan Hartley and Sam Warburton to that list
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2021 at 10:47am
alfie a definite no,not punditry but have you seen on that 6 nations programme with gaby logan?Confused sgree about shanklin and dallaglio is so pro english he makes the premier sports ones seem nuetral.
Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2021 at 12:18pm
Anchor: Gabby Logan or Craig Doyle
Commentators: Andrew Cotter or Nick Mullins
Wales: Sam W
England: Martin Johnson or Jeremy Guscott (definitely not Jonny me me me Wilkinson)
Ireland: Rory Best or BOD
Scotland: John Barclay
France: Tomas C
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2021 at 12:23pm
Eddie Butler is class & Gabby Logan is very professional. Warburton & Johnson are very enlightening and can get that across professionally. I also still think that Brian Moore with Butler make a very good team and Jiffy is good. 
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2021 at 12:24pm
Easy to choose not to have. Anyone on the ITV pundit team. When I watch them I’m more than happy to pay to watch the coverage. I personally think the two female pundits are awful. 

Edited by SA14 - 21 March 2021 at 12:25pm
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2021 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Eddie Butler is class & Gabby Logan is very professional. Warburton & Johnson are very enlightening and can get that across professionally. I also still think that Brian Moore with Butler make a very good team and Jiffy is good. 
eddie makes a lot of mistakes these days yesterday he called josh adams josh navidi in one of our games he kept calling dan jones dan evans.
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2021 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Really not a fan of Eddie Butler at all. Feel he struggles to keep up with his commentary. Often stating the players name (often wrong), before waiting to see whats happening then stating what they did.
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2021 at 1:08pm
Must say I think the quality of s4c’s coverage has really improved these last few months, so I’d pick a few of them in the perfect coverage personnel. Firstly Nigel Owens as a referring correspondent- it’s nice hearing the opinion of a referee on any controversial incident. I’d also include Rhys Patchell in any commentating team - he adds quality insight during the match and reminds me much more of Sam Warburton than Shane Williams! 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2021 at 1:09pm
The chemistry between Eddie, Pit Bull is excellent. Such complimentary characters and the Jiffy factor added something as well I felt to yesterday’s team. 
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
N14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2021 at 1:49pm
Jiffy comes in for a lot of stick but I agree that he, butler and Moore make a great team. Warburton is great, Guscott is fine. Shane and Gareth Thomas would be an instant ‘no’ for me. Anyone remember who the commentary team was for the England game yesterday (commentary not pundits)?
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2021 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

Jiffy comes in for a lot of stick but I agree that he, butler and Moore make a great team. Warburton is great, Guscott is fine. Shane and Gareth Thomas would be an instant ‘no’ for me. Anyone remember who the commentary team was for the England game yesterday (commentary not pundits)?
I’m sure Dallalgio was doing it wasn’t he? There was also an Irishman there as a third commentator, but I can’t remember who he or the main commentator was.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2021 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

I’m sure Dallalgio was doing it wasn’t he? There was also an Irishman there as a third commentator, but I can’t remember who he or the main commentator was.
miles harrisson?
Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2021 at 2:26pm
Think the Irish pundit was Giordan Murphy in the England game.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic