Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Review of 6N commentators and pundits

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2021 at 3:08pm
Having previously said monye was ok, his last 6 nations highlights episode on itv was really poor...The whole show was strangely wooden
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2021 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

It’s sad to say but the “old guard” who are somewhat a part of the six nations: Jiffy, Andy Nichol, Butler, Moore and Guscott aren’t as insightful as the new players coming through.

The likes of Warburton, Hartley and to a less extent BOD and Monye (tho he is v annoying) offer far better insight but perhaps less entertaining that the older folks.

The whole ITV lot are useless, Woodward, Dalaligo and Wilkinson are literally just there to make the English nostalgic. 

Alfie and Scott Q are part of the blue smarties brigade - good as hype men, but don’t let them near punditry. 

The Sky Sports bunch of Greenwood, Stuart Barnes and Alex Payne are quite smug.

If CVC change up one thing hopefully it’s to transition out some of the English old brigade and start using these more recently retired insightful guys.

I might disagree on the odd one above but I’m fully aligned on the need to refresh the pundits.

If you no longer play you are still relevant for 2-3 seasons but after that you have to watch as much rugby as you can to stay relevant. If not you just trundle out the same stuff and can only comment on what you see in the game you are watching. Nothing interesting, no anecdotes and little relevance.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2021 at 8:32pm
I quite liked the 3 in the studio in last nights game.  Kayser has been a great addition in recent weeks,  JB is just so measured in everything he says, and he’s only just finished playing the game so knows what’s relevant to the here and now, and McNichol is often sensible.  The commentators and pundits on ITV have been pretty poor throughout the championship.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2021 at 8:34pm
Moore and butler are still the gold standard. Kay and healey are decent on bt, warbs kaser and jb ade v good i like jiffy and he covers rl so bbc get two for price of one, but yes the others prob need upgrading. Personally i don’t rate the likes of alfie shane hook or sq all poor imo

Edited by RR1972 - 27 March 2021 at 8:36pm
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2021 at 8:39pm
I disagree with changing simply because they stopped playing yrs ago....These older pros bring a different angle to the game...A nice balance of old and new gives it more flavour for me
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2021 at 8:41pm
Butler can’t go through a game without getting at least 2 players names hopelessly wrong (continuously).

In Wales we see or hear a lot of Holley and Shane.They are unable to attain a neutral viewpoint if the Ospreys are on the pitch.

BT, Sky etc just wouldn’t put up with either of the above traits.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2021 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

I disagree with changing simply because they stopped playing yrs ago....These older pros bring a different angle to the game...A nice balance of old and new gives it more flavour for me

...the game has less and less comparable things to a couple of decades ago though Roy...I mean by that the laws of the game as much as anything. Scrums, lineouts, tackling technique, disciplinary protocol, HIA’s and raft of subtle interpretations have evolved to a much different point.

I don’t mind senior ex pros at all, but if you are being paid to be a pundit then try and stay relevant. Watch all the rugby you can, from age grade on.
The ‘ that would never have happened in my day...’ doesn’t really have a place in my view.

Edited by Wil Chips - 27 March 2021 at 8:49pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2021 at 8:50pm
Butler muddling the odd name doesnt bother me in the slightest but it may bother everyone else
Its all part of his charm. 
Alas no one comes within a country mile of bill mclaren he ticked every box for me and even boxes he created himself like the endless colourful descriptions and anecdotes,  cliff morgan too was majestic behind the microphone. Both these great men didnt talk over the action like so many do now , they added to what we saw. To coin a corny yankee phrase they were well prepared but also in the moment and reacted on their feet.

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2021 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Butler can’t go through a game without getting at least 2 players names hopelessly wrong (continuously).

In Wales we see or hear a lot of Holley and Shane.They are unable to attain a neutral viewpoint if the Ospreys are on the pitch.

BT, Sky etc just wouldn’t put up with either of the above traits.
ray french the bbc rl guy was shocking for that, he even used to laugh at it himself 😂😂
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2021 at 8:50pm
cotter has improved I agree and hes probably numero uno now
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2021 at 8:56pm
Holley good analyst i don’t like him as a commentator shanklin os basically a blues cheer leader. Mike phillips is funny and i like jamie roberts. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2021 at 9:01pm

Butler muddling the odd name doesnt bother me in the slightest but it may bother everyone else
Alas no one comes within a country mile of bill mclaren he ticked every box for me and even boxes he created himself like the endless colourful descriptions and anecdotes,  cliff morgan too was majestic behind the microphone. Both these great men didnt talk over the action like so many do now , they added to what we saw. To coin a corny yankee phrase they were well prepared but also in the moment and reacted on their feet.

i disagree ken.LOL
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2021 at 11:49pm

I’m sort of suggesting this is my point....Allis, Pickering, Benaud, Carpenter, Walker, McLaren, Motson...these guys were superbly informed and researched all the detail...

Mclaren was great, to tag Geoff Wheel as the ‘ Mumbles Lighthouse’ meant he needed to know where he was from, where Mumbles is, and indeed that there is a lighthouse there. Not something you’d expect your average Scotsman to know really.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2021 at 12:10am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I’m sort of suggesting this is my point....Allis, Pickering, Benaud, Carpenter, Walker, McLaren, Motson...these guys were superbly informed and researched all the detail...

Mclaren was great, to tag Geoff Wheel as the ‘ Mumbles Lighthouse’ meant he needed to know where he was from, where Mumbles is, and indeed that there is a lighthouse there. Not something you’d expect your average Scotsman to know really.

Absolutely brilliantLOL
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2021 at 8:59am
Nothing beats a presenter who puts in the hard work & gets informed. I read an interesting article by Flatman recently who put into perspective what he does before any game in which he is involved. I still rate Butler & Moore highly as they are entertaining - I can certainly forgive Butler getting some names wrong.
solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2021 at 11:08am
Friday was Inverdale’s last presentation shift on rugby for the BBC. He’s now on the RFU council representing the NCA.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic