Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

richard moriarty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: richard moriarty
    Posted: 09 May 2022 at 2:16am
With all the consternation regarding the regions possible reduction from 4 to 3 dominating our thoughts on the forum, maybe we should take time out, to consider ways to celebrate Dick Moriarty's 65th birthday  !
There was an interesting article, in the "Western Snail", on sat, about him, and in particular, his "relationship", with Stradey park, and Llanelli fans.
It would guarantee to put an extra thousand on the gate, if  it was expected that the arch villain, and  bogey man(in our eyes)..Moriarty, was featuring for the whites!!

I recall he was sent off THREE times at Stradey, and could have been more!
On one occasion he needlessly kneed kevin Thomas in our in goal area, after kevin was minoring a ball.
Kev suffered a serious injury from this, from which he never fully recovered. On another occasion he flung Phil Davies in to the advertising hoardings, for which he was  sent off !!!Confused 

I freely admit, as a young fan, (now, looking back with a with a fair a mount of shame), hurled more than my fair share of abuse at Moriarty, from the Tanner bank. In those days there were no holds barred, and today, the stewards would throw you out for anything half as bad.
It was really parochialism then, and I admit at that time, I HATED the Whites, and would do anything, say anything, to attempt to influence a result .
Strangely, I have always had a strong affection for St Helens, possibly because of my love of Glamorgan cricket, and feel quite sad to she the old ground, in such a state now, with money badly needed to be spent.

So therefore to come back to idea of mergers between west of Lougher bridge and east in the context of region reduction. Even though we may not have the extreme parochialism evident, as in yesteryear there is a healthy antipathy between the fans, and for the life of me, can you see them uniting under one banner ?
I wonder what Dick Moriarty would say about this ???
I stood yer on tanner bank
Sponsored Links

Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 6:47am
I thought it was Anthony Griffiths he threw against the hoardings??
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

Thanks dic. 
"The early bird catches the worm"..at 6.47am reply..  LOL..AND
your probably correct, it may well have Antony Griff, thrown against the boards by Dick !
I think he was also sent off for stamping on Phil Davies head, in a ruck,. Would face a lengthy ban now.
Anthony himself was a tough cookie, and great player, lived near us in Felinfoel.
I think he was involved in a fracas with Brian Thomas, another bogeyman, who at that time was team manager of Neath.

I stood yer on tanner bank
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 9:00am
Originally posted by scarletpimp scarletpimp wrote:

Thanks dic. 
your probably correct, it may well have Antony Griff, thrown against the boards by Dick !
I think he was also sent off for stamping on Phil Davies head, in a ruck,. Would face a lengthy ban now.
Anthony himself was a tough cookie, and great player, lived near us in Felinfoel.
I think he was involved in a fracas with Brian Thomas, another bogeyman, who at that time was team manager of Neath.

Yes and played in that fine Felinfoel team along with Kwvin Thomas and Dai Nicholas.Kevin a great player and great bloke too

Edited by Dic Penderyn - 09 May 2022 at 9:02am
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 9:37am

Thanks dic. 

Yes and played in that fine Felinfoel team along with Kwvin Thomas and Dai Nicholas.Kevin a great player and great bloke too

Played rugby & cricket against Kevin - fine all round player.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 9:38am
Sorry bois got the wrong Thomas - I am thinking of Bernard.
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 1:45pm

With all the consternation regarding the regions possible reduction from 4 to 3 dominating our thoughts on the forum, maybe we should take time out, to consider ways to celebrate Dick Moriarty's 65th birthday  !
There was an interesting article, in the "Western Snail", on sat, about him, and in particular, his "relationship", with Stradey park, and Llanelli fans.
It would guarantee to put an extra thousand on the gate, if  it was expected that the arch villain, and  bogey man(in our eyes)..Moriarty, was featuring for the whites!!

I recall he was sent off THREE times at Stradey, and could have been more!
On one occasion he needlessly kneed kevin Thomas in our in goal area, after kevin was minoring a ball.
Kev suffered a serious injury from this, from which he never fully recovered. On another occasion he flung Phil Davies in to the advertising hoardings, for which he was  sent off !!!Confused 

I freely admit, as a young fan, (now, looking back with a with a fair a mount of shame), hurled more than my fair share of abuse at Moriarty, from the Tanner bank. In those days there were no holds barred, and today, the stewards would throw you out for anything half as bad.
It was really parochialism then, and I admit at that time, I HATED the Whites, and would do anything, say anything, to attempt to influence a result .
Strangely, I have always had a strong affection for St Helens, possibly because of my love of Glamorgan cricket, and feel quite sad to she the old ground, in such a state now, with money badly needed to be spent.

So therefore to come back to idea of mergers between west of Lougher bridge and east in the context of region reduction. Even though we may not have the extreme parochialism evident, as in yesteryear there is a healthy antipathy between the fans, and for the life of me, can you see them uniting under one banner ?
I wonder what Dick Moriarty would say about this ???
I remember that moment well, these days he wouldnt have been able to play the game for long with all the TMO reviews
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2022 at 4:28pm
I seem to remember Moriarty and Phil May getting sent off at the same time in one game at Stradey.  Or maybe it was a dream  Confused

I definitely remember a silver haired Gavin Henson seeing red though.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 5:34pm
Phil May v Dick Moriarty was  like Ali v Frasier WinkCoolLOL

Edited by LLANDRE - 13 May 2022 at 5:34pm
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
EMGM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EMGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 7:10pm
Great memories. Does anyone remember Adam Jones going hammer and tongs behind the goals Pwll end can't say who else was involved but Adam ended up with a black eye 🤔. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by EMGM EMGM wrote:

Great memories. Does anyone remember Adam Jones going hammer and tongs behind the goals Pwll end can't say who else was involved but Adam ended up with a black eye 🤔. 

Phil John and Duncan Jones it was
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2022 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

I seem to remember Moriarty and Phil May getting sent off at the same time in one game at Stradey.  Or maybe it was a dream  Confused

I definitely remember a silver haired Gavin Henson seeing red though.
That was when Gav threw Garan Evans against the hoarding board ! He was lucky to escape the vengeance of our Tongan legendary centre mind 😂 red for Gav 
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic