Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ryan jones

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2022 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

What ever happens with these law suits, its clear that changes are needed. Its no coinsidence that the players showing these early signs of dementia and other injuries coinside with the introduction of subsitutions as part of the game. Injury subs should be reintroduced with certain stiplularions such as l, if you come off injured you miss x amounts of days training and matchdays. This with make players fitter and also the days of your 20st juggornauts will dissapear and fittness will repkace bulk. Through this impact will be reduced. Also any head co tact must be dealt with. Just look at Porter on Sat. Straight red all day long. Refs need to be held accountable too

Or just play in helmets.
Sponsored Links

ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2022 at 7:07pm
I really don't to want to make light of this situation in any way shape or form and i honestly feel for ryan and his family but you don't get £400/£500 k a year to be a roofer or brickie you surely must go into rugby knowing the risks?
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2022 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

I really don't to want to make light of this situation in any way shape or form and i honestly feel for ryan and his family but you don't get £400/£500 k a year to be a roofer or brickie you surely must go into rugby knowing the risks?

Yes I was thinking the same. Same with boxers. Players have been paralysed too. 

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2022 at 12:01am

He didn’t know the risks though that’s the whole point. He went into rugby knowing there was a big risk he could break a few bones, lose some teeth, maybe get arthritis but he didn’t know there was a risk he could forget the names of his children before he was 50. Players of his era didn’t have that information so weren’t able to make an informed decision before deciding whether to play rugby or not. When you look at the situations the likes of Jones, Steve Thompson, and Alix Popham find themselves in it makes me really angry when I see people say the games gone soft. Whenever there’s direct contact to the head it should be an automatic red card, while contact training should be very minimal. Things need to change or there won’t be a game left. I fear this is the tip of the iceberg. This is definitely not on the players

Edited by scarletnut - 20 July 2022 at 12:02am
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2022 at 12:18am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

He didn’t know the risks though that’s the whole point. He went into rugby knowing there was a big risk he could break a few bones, lose some teeth, maybe get arthritis but he didn’t know there was a risk he could forget the names of his children before he was 50. Players of his era didn’t have that information so weren’t able to make an informed decision before deciding whether to play rugby or not. When you look at the situations the likes of Jones, Steve Thompson, and Alix Popham find themselves in it makes me really angry when I see people say the games gone soft. Whenever there’s direct contact to the head it should be an automatic red card, while contact training should be very minimal. Things need to change or there won’t be a game left. I fear this is the tip of the iceberg. This is definitely not on the players
Spot on Steff
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2022 at 5:43am

What do you think is the answer steff?rugby union has become obsessed with size with centres being as big and heavy as our forwards were in the 70's also are there any cases of players in the SH taking on their respective unions because this fixation on size has come from the SH.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2022 at 6:20am
Match day squad maximum weight limit?

Edited by Eastern outpost - 20 July 2022 at 6:32am
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2022 at 6:42am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

The refs come in for a bashing here and rightly so on many occasions but i think refs need to be for more vigilant when it comes to head contact but are the refs of a good enough quality anyway?
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2022 at 9:24am

What do you think is the answer steff?rugby union has become obsessed with size with centres being as big and heavy as our forwards were in the 70's also are there any cases of players in the SH taking on their respective unions because this fixation on size has come from the SH.
I’m not entirely sure but a lot of players have called for minimal contact training in the week. Longer time off for head knocks maybe. Some even want less subs in a game 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2022 at 9:47am

I’m not entirely sure but a lot of players have called for minimal contact training in the week. Longer time off for head knocks maybe. Some even want less subs in a game 

I agree with less contact in training, if you play on a Sunday & have a Saturday game the following week it doesn't really give any concussion symptoms the chance to manifest - especially if you have a contact session in the week. I think we need to try & maximise the days between games too, though this is easier said than done really.

I saw that World Rugby have introduced a 12 day break for anyone who fails a HIA which is obviously very good & a step in the right direction but I think this should be 14 days so a player gets 2 weeks off from matches. Currently you could play on a Sunday, have 12 days & be back playing the 2nd Saturday whereas if you have 14 days off you are almost getting 3 weeks off if that makes sense?
N14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2022 at 10:12am
Perhaps the 'mitigation' factor needs to be dropped when referees adjudicate on head contact. Currently if a player is being tackled and heading downwards (or dipping down for any other reason), and a defending player comes in and smashes him in the head (whether intentionally or, in the vast majority of cases, accidentally), the tackler will generally see yellow due to the mitigating factor. Maybe any contact to the head should be a straight red? This would make defending players think twice about going in for the hit if the ballcarrier is already being tackled and heading to the ground.

Edited by N14 - 20 July 2022 at 10:12am
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2022 at 11:11am
One of tbe biggezt factors, as highllighted by DA recently, is tbe fact you can bring on an almost new pack of monsters at 50mins. Just imagine the impact theze players have on ayers who will not be su subbed. Take Reffell for instance. He played the whole 80mins against 2 monster packs. That cant be good for hus body 3 weeks on the trot. People suggest lowering impact in training, which i agree with, but this will only underprepare them for matchday physicality which will inturn have a bigger impact lo g term
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2022 at 11:12am
SA not DA
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2022 at 11:32am

Carl Hayman is taking on WR, not sure about the NZRU though.?
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2022 at 11:43am
Hits to the head are obviously a problem, however you can suffer a concussion without being hit on the head, and that's the issue. I remember being tackled head on once (there was no head contact) and was  stopped dead in my tracks. I certainly saw stars, and felt a little sick for few minutes, but carried on playing.

I remember once talking to an Wales & BI international who said that the hardest tackle he ever suffered was at St Helen's, and he was clear that it was a fair but hard tackle. His expereiance was the same as mine, seeing stars and feeling sick afterwards, he also said that there'd been no head contact in the tackle. 

In my humble experience therefore, head hits aren't the only issue. I think we need to go down to 5 subs, 3 front row and 2 backs, but substitutions scan only be made when there's an injury.

Edited by ap sior - 20 July 2022 at 11:44am
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2022 at 1:59pm

Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

The refs come in for a bashing here and rightly so on many occasions but i think refs need to be for more vigilant when it comes to head contact but are the refs of a good enough quality anyway?
This forum’s ability to find fault with every ref, no matter how good, means maybe it’s not quite the right question.

They’re the best there is that are available.

The TMO should be there for anything missed and the quality of these folk varies immensely, as we all know.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic