Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

saints news

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran
"Views my own"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonduTurk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: saints news
    Posted: 21 February 2005 at 5:28pm
     Reihana to remain at Northampton

Former All Black Bruce Reihana has rejected a move back to New Zealand in favour of remaining at Northampton.
The wing/full-back had already signed contracts with the New Zealand Rugby Union and Super 12 side Waikato.
But the NZRU said Reihana, who played for the All Blacks in 1999 and 2000, changed his mind for personal reasons.
Last season Reihana, who is set to stay for another three years, was named the Professional Rugby Association's players' player of the year.
"The people, the players and the whole set-up here is great - and they have helped make my decision so much easier," said the 28-year-old.
Saints chairman Keith Barwell said: "I am sure our fans will be thrilled, because as a player Bruce is irreplaceable."           

Saints star Krige to quit playing

Northampton vice-captain Corne Krige has announced he will retire from rugby at the end of the season.
Krige has decided to cut short his two-year contract because he is no longer convinced his body can withstand the rigours of professional rugby.
"The biggest decision for any player is to decide when and how to retire," said the former Springboks captain.
"My fear is that I would not be able to give that same commitment for another full season."
Krige, who turns 30 next month, will return to Cape Town in the summer to pursue business interests outside rugby.
"I know 30 is still quite young for a rugby player, but I have suffered several severe injuries during my 11-year career," he said.
"The birth of our child has also made me think differently about bashing my body about for a few more years."
Krige was recruited by former Northampton coach Alan Solomons and was immediately appointed captain.
But when Solomons quit after Northampton had suffered a club record nine consecutive defeats, he stood down as captain.
In a ballot to decide the new skipper, the Saints squad then voted him vice-captain to Steve Thompson.
With seven league games remaining, Krige has vowed he will spare no energy in helping Northampton to avoid relegation.
"I will do everything humanly possible to make sure this club, with its proud heritage and traditions, remains in the Premiership," he said.
"I truly believe that a club that attracts so much ardent support deserves to stay in the Premiership."
Northampton's operations director John Steele added: "We are disappointed to learn that we will not have Corne with us next season and that he has announced his rugby retirement.
"He has won over the players and the supporters at Saints with his absolute commitment on the field and personable character off it."
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic