Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sam Wainwright signs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login


Sam Wainwright signs

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message
crj89 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 04 May 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 682
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2022 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Not a fan of this model of intertwining club and county finances together and sharing success/failure. It's worked in Ireland because the IRFU built on the success of the foundations, feels like we were trying to do similar to it but in reverse order and it's falling apart.

Personally I'd prefer a much simply system of tv money, competition income and core funding with a reasonable fee for player release for matches and training and scrap the 80/20 payments.

If the clubs aren't successful in producing internationals then they don't get the player release payments and have to fund more of their squad themselves, likewise if the WRU incomes drop then there is no debate over club funding v a hotel or roofwalk, it goes to the clubs because you pay your suppliers first.

We need a more competitive edge in all areas, both on and off the pitch.
I’d love that. I don’t think the competition money alone would ever make it possible to put out a competitive squad in any competition though.
Our squad costs somewhere north of £7m, which will probably reduce next season, but add in a coaching team, physios, back room, etc.
It’s hard to see how we could ever spend less than £7-8m to run a team. Our actual costs are more than £10m usually.
The competitions we are in bring us around £3m in TV money. We probably get another £2m at most from gate and hospitality and maybe £1-2m in sponsorship.

So, we are dependent on WRU payments, or something else to turn up.

What sort of figures would player release payments look like if it were to go down that route? Make up some of the rest?
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
Seagultaf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 27 May 2021
Location: Penclawdd
Status: Offline
Points: 212
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seagultaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2022 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Tbh Beard doesnt offer too much either. Cant blame Jenkins alone

Wainwright has looked good in the scrums until last weekend. He scrummaged really well against the much vaunted South African pack and against Argentina. So the lack of drive from the locks behind him could well be the reason Sam and Rhodri struggled so much on Saturday.
Back to Top
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 27 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 16390
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2022 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Seagultaf Seagultaf wrote:

Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Tbh Beard doesnt offer too much either. Cant blame Jenkins alone

Wainwright has looked good in the scrums until last weekend. He scrummaged really well against the much vaunted South African pack and against Argentina. So the lack of drive from the locks behind him could well be the reason Sam and Rhodri struggled so much on Saturday.
only seen hin play vs saffers tbh and he looked good tbh he wasn’t near the sarries team but lots of good props won’t mKe their 23 so no shame in that
Back to Top
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 01 December 2014
Location: Rhydcymerau
Status: Offline
Points: 15390
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2022 at 11:53am
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by Seagultaf Seagultaf wrote:

Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Tbh Beard doesnt offer too much either. Cant blame Jenkins alone

Wainwright has looked good in the scrums until last weekend. He scrummaged really well against the much vaunted South African pack and against Argentina. So the lack of drive from the locks behind him could well be the reason Sam and Rhodri struggled so much on Saturday.
only seen hin play vs saffers tbh and he looked good tbh he wasn’t near the sarries team but lots of good props won’t mKe their 23 so no shame in that

I disagree - any tight head truly worthy of a place in the Welsh 23 should be getting into Saracens best 23. 
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.186 seconds.