Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sanjay joining Cardiff rugby - Confirmed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 24>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2021 at 8:04pm
Lots of talk the blues heirachy are very pally with the the welsh coaching staff , the blues are overloaded in the back row . Naividi botham toby f ellis jenkins young are likely to be in the welsh 38 plus possibly lewis hughes 6 backrowers getting 80 per cent of their wages paid, i bet that ulster hookler goes there to. It’s also likely carre dillon lewis and seb davies in that 38 to

Edited by RR1972 - 30 November 2021 at 8:04pm
Sponsored Links

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2021 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Tbh, if they want to consider themselves as a club and not a region, like all other clubs in Wales they should pkay in the premiership
We are a club. Always have been. 
The region is purely for the RAG system. 
Yet to get standalone status at the time, we claimed we had always been a region. Smile

I'm not sure that's accurate Rob
We're still still here!
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2021 at 10:14pm

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Tbh, if they want to consider themselves as a club and not a region, like all other clubs in Wales they should pkay in the premiership
But the Scarlets consider themselves a club as well...

Llanelli are the club, hence why they pkay in the prem. Scarletscare the region, hence why we play in the urc. What ever we want to think and what ever we want to believe, we are a region. Scarlets have ever, to my knowledge, advertised themselves as anything but a region. Slight difference imo

You are incorrect. The current CEO, the former CEO, the current coach, the two former head coaches all refer to us as a club, many times on public record.

We're still still here!
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2021 at 11:02pm

Yet to get standalone status at the time, we claimed we had always been a region. Smile

I do seem to recall us commenting something along those lines. As the westernmost pro team we did benefit from support and players from the Gwendraeth, Carmarthen, Pembs etc. The Scarlets have always been more than just Llanelli. 

We didn’t say it to ‘get’ standalone status though. There was nothing the WRU could do to stop us having that. We had a signed loyalty agreement that guaranteed us a place in the top tier and we would’ve taken the WRU to Court if they’d tried to force us to merge.  
Superscarlet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2021 at 12:13am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

I’m sorry this is horrendous we are becoming a joke. We can’t attract the big players to our club anymore. We are getting none of the Welsh players leaving England who are established internationals. Faletau going to Cardiff was bad enough but now one of Wales truly world class players is leaving to play for one of our nearest rivals. Our back line will be shocking compared to theirs without players like Sanjay. 
The Ospreys have picked up Anscombe North and Cuthbert have better quality youngsters than us. Are we now a feeder region for the other regions. 
Really worried this could be the beginning of the end for us. 
This is ludicrous. Why the hell would we want anymore Welsh internationals? We are carrying too many as it is, it would have been dumb to sign Faletau. Why would we want Faletau who will play about six regional games a season tops and whose main priority is to make the RWC? Liam has been a great player for the Scarlets but he’s 31 now and has hardly played for us (no fault of his own) while he also lives in Cardiff. The Scarlets actually want to be more than just a feeder side for Wales. The Scarlets obviously want to put emphasis on developing home grown talent and that’ll never change but they want to be successful in their own right as well and you can’t do that if you are losing your best players/highest earners for large chunks of the season. The current model in Welsh rugby is weighted too heavily in favour of the national side. There needs to be an emphasis on signing high calibre NWQ players over players whose number one priority is to play for Wales. With my Scarlets hat on it’s irrelevant to me if Liam Williams wins player of the match for Wales in every Six Nations game. If he doesn’t perform against Connacht in Galway or the Dragons in Newport then what’s the point? I’m just using Liam as a hypothetical example. Obviously long term things need to change from a governance point of view in Welsh rugby for sustainable success at regional level but we do need to start thinking differently if we want to be successful. All the evidence shows that carrying too many Wales players hinders you. You need some but not too many. As for this being the beginning of the end? The Scarlets have by a country mile the best balance sheet of all four pro sides and they have the most ambitious board of directors while they also own their own stadium. I’m not saying there aren’t any issues at the club because there are but they are in a far better position off the field than others and there’s some really good people working hard behind the scenes to achieve success. If cutting pro sides ever became a reality or if we got say a 2+2 funding model then the Cardiff and Scarlets would be heavy favourites to come out on top. .

I’ll probably get slaughtered for this post but I’m past caring. 
Agree with most of that steff but you keep bringing up the "best balance" sheet maybe that's because we don't invest in areas we need to,everyone knew jake was leaving yet we never actually replaced him.
  I think we let too many players go in 2020 and not replaced with the same quality. 

Edited by Superscarlet - 01 December 2021 at 12:14am
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2021 at 8:02am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by hartson11 hartson11 wrote:

If cardiff consider themselves a club so be it, but the wru shoulld tell them they won’t be one of the sides getting extra funding and the mythical legions of cardiff rfc fans can make up the short fall. Although by placing all these players who make up the welsh 38 man squad into their set up the wru appear to be giving  this extra funding by stealth. The blues need fromt 5 forwards big time but they are signing back rowers and full backs, all a bit sus isn’t it? Calling us or them a Club or region makes v little difference to most rugby fans its really a non issue tbh despite what a few vocal cardiff fans spout on social media

Cardiff hoarding, particularly back row players from the 38, I genuinely don’t see the issue, no different from Scarlets getting Liam Williams back from Saracens and hoarding full backs, when they already had Leigh Halfpenny and McNicholl who could play there. Amos is retiring and the only other option is Matthew Morgan for Cardiff. Think it’s a good move for all concerned.
bit senseless hoarding back rowers when you have a useless front 5 though?

Domochevski, Myhill, Arhip, Seb Davies, Screech with Carre, Dacey, Dillon Lewis & Thornton on the bench would give our front 5 a run for their money & from memory have done so for the past few seasons. 
That's a pretty weak front five. The reason they beat us is because of their superiority at the breakdown. The front-five is a major worry for them

Well they are indeed perceived to be weak up front - if that is so what would you class our front 5 as? I fully accept that their recruitment has been a little concentrated in the back 10 positions but availability/finance, are huge issues which we are also going through. 
Weak - at lock
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2021 at 8:17am

Originally posted by hartson11 hartson11 wrote:

If cardiff consider themselves a club so be it, but the wru shoulld tell them they won’t be one of the sides getting extra funding and the mythical legions of cardiff rfc fans can make up the short fall. Although by placing all these players who make up the welsh 38 man squad into their set up the wru appear to be giving  this extra funding by stealth. The blues need fromt 5 forwards big time but they are signing back rowers and full backs, all a bit sus isn’t it? Calling us or them a Club or region makes v little difference to most rugby fans its really a non issue tbh despite what a few vocal cardiff fans spout on social media

Cardiff hoarding, particularly back row players from the 38, I genuinely don’t see the issue, no different from Scarlets getting Liam Williams back from Saracens and hoarding full backs, when they already had Leigh Halfpenny and McNicholl who could play there. Amos is retiring and the only other option is Matthew Morgan for Cardiff. Think it’s a good move for all concerned.
bit senseless hoarding back rowers when you have a useless front 5 though?

Domochevski, Myhill, Arhip, Seb Davies, Screech with Carre, Dacey, Dillon Lewis & Thornton on the bench would give our front 5 a run for their money & from memory have done so for the past few seasons. 
That's a pretty weak front five. The reason they beat us is because of their superiority at the breakdown. The front-five is a major worry for them

Well they are indeed perceived to be weak up front - if that is so what would you class our front 5 as? I fully accept that their recruitment has been a little concentrated in the back 10 positions but availability/finance, are huge issues which we are also going through. 
Weak - at lock

Yes indeed Steff but what makes a good front 5? Surely you have to look at the whole - we are going to be bullied collectively in the front 5 until we develop players and/or make acquisitions. Matthew Screech & Seb Davies for me would walk into our first 23 at this point in time so if posters wish to rubbish the Cardiff front 5 by definition so is ours. 

The point I guess I am trying to make is that Cardiff are being accused of having WRU/Pivac favour because of the number of back row recruits recently made - Faletau & Young. However these players have not arrived yet & we don't know who is leaving so talk of a WRU conspiracy, for me, is wide of the mark. If Cardiff get the bulk of the back row places in the 38 that is no different to a time when we have had the bulk of the front row with Rob, Wyn, Ken, Ryan & Samson or indeed centres - Foxy, Scott, Hadleigh & now Johnny Williams.

Recruitment in the past 18 months must have been a nightmare with finances being what they have been. Lets forget talk of conspiracy and remember players will sign for the club/region they want to - as yet we do not have a draft system in place.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2021 at 10:41am

But the Scarlets consider themselves a club as well...

Llanelli are the club, hence why they pkay in the prem. Scarletscare the region, hence why we play in the urc. What ever we want to think and what ever we want to believe, we are a region. Scarlets have ever, to my knowledge, advertised themselves as anything but a region. Slight difference imo

You are incorrect. The current CEO, the former CEO, the current coach, the two former head coaches all refer to us as a club, many times on public record.

And it puts a smile on my face everytime they do.
Rubrum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2021 at 4:41pm
It's what it says in the contracts that counts.
You can call the Scarlets a club, but it will still be the regional rugby team.
Leave the hair splitting to the lawyers, they love it and make lots of money from it.
To me; region, club or gang of red shirted rampaging loonies, the Scarlets are MY TEAM.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Rubrum
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2021 at 4:57pm
I bet Cardiff announce the signing boxing day. Play the psychological card. 
Big city spenders

Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2021 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

I bet Cardiff announce the signing boxing day. Play the psychological card. 
Big city spenders

Of other peoples money WRU should be ashamed of themselves but they have no shame. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2021 at 5:13pm
We had the best of Sanjay when he first joined us and broke through.Since his return we have barely seen him and he has become sadly a bit part player. Fortunately the WRU have been paying 80% of his wages 👍 perhaps Cardiff if he joined them might see more of him but if he remains part of Team Wales up to the World Cup, as I suspect he will, then Cardiff won’t see much of him either!  I am disappointed after the excitement of his return that due to injuries and Wales/ Lions and no fault of his own,he has become a squad irrelevance to us ☹️ 

Edited by reesytheexile - 05 December 2021 at 5:20pm
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2021 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Rubrum Rubrum wrote:

It's what it says in the contracts that counts.
You can call the Scarlets a club, but it will still be the regional rugby team.
Leave the hair splitting to the lawyers, they love it and make lots of money from it.
To me; region, club or gang of red shirted rampaging loonies, the Scarlets are MY TEAM.
What contract? They market themselves as a club that represents a region. It’s not an opinion, it’s a fact. That’s what they are.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2021 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

We had the best of Sanjay when he first joined us and broke through.Since his return we have barely seen him and he has become sadly a bit part player. Fortunately the WRU have been paying 80% of his wages 👍
They haven’t. They made us take out a loan to cover what they should’ve been paying us for the use of our international players, so we had to pay 75% of his wages. It might’ve been more than 75% as he was reported to have dragged his heels over agreeing to the pay cut. 
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2021 at 7:32pm

I have a vague recollection of our then Chairman talking in those terms at the time. But Simon Muderack sums it up nicely in a recent article in the Westertn Mail. If I may quote;

"When chairman Simon Muderack was talking about the Scarlets recently, he referred to them as “a club that proudly represents a region”. Now to a large extent, that’s what they have always been, before and after 2003......They felt like a side representing West Wales".

I particularly liked this sentence Smile;

"They (Scarlets) are comfortable in their own skin and they won’t be shedding it."

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 05 December 2021 at 7:34pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2021 at 12:57pm
We as a club had been marketing our brand Llanelli Rugby Football Club with the wider Scarlets theme well before Moffet and 2003.

Ken jones was preaching this back in 1993-94.

The big issue and flaw here is we have been duped into taking our eye off the ball.

Regional rugby has been a distraction away from the bigger picture of what we truly are.

A club that has far more reach than just West Cowing Wales.

What sort of business model limits itself to thinly populated rural areas. When its brand has proved to spread Scarlet fever to fans not just from all over Wales, but the UK and Europe.

Stop with this pathetic myth about regions please, they are mythical lines that barely even show on the map. They dont and shouldnt exist.

I want Llanelli and the Scarlets brand to remember what it is.

Something open to all.

No matter what language you speak,
Where you were born
Where you live
What race or religion you are
Male or female
old or young.

We are not in a position surely to segregate potential fanbases?

Time to drop Moffets myth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 24>
  Share Topic