Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets v Barbarians

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2023 at 9:34pm
I’m looking forward to seeing Ioan Lloyd have a runout at 10. 

Harry Wilson is a quality 8 for the Barbarians. He’s a very powerful carrier. Daugunu is a dangerous runner in their backline.
Sponsored Links

Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2023 at 8:46am
If hope is the last to die, I will wait till the kick off for a streaming...it s an important day for the history club 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2023 at 11:35am
I am not sure how often Llanelli/Scarlets have played the Barbarians, but I do recall seeing them once in or around 1965/66 when Barry John was just starting out on his career. For a half, he made mugs of the Baa-Baas and iirc Llanelli led at half time. Second half, the word must have gone out to what was probably an all-international test back row to mark the out-half and forget the rest! English wing-forward Taylor and the rest tightened up considerably, ant the Baa-Baas won in the end.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2023 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I am not sure how often Llanelli/Scarlets have played the Barbarians, but I do recall seeing them once in or around 1965/66 when Barry John was just starting out on his career. For a half, he made mugs of the Baa-Baas and iirc Llanelli led at half time. Second half, the word must have gone out to what was probably an all-international test back row to mark the out-half and forget the rest! English wing-forward Taylor and the rest tightened up considerably, ant the Baa-Baas won in the end.

That's an intresting  one Aber, but there will probably  be someone on SF,  to give an answer.
Personally,  I cannot  remember  too many fixtures. 

Its a wonderful way to remember Benny, who played with such verve & exuberance  for both teams. He would very happy .
Looking forward to the game.  Not expecting  too much, early doors in season, but will prove a useful run out, and hopefully can enjoyable  spectacle for all 
I stood yer on tanner bank
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2023 at 1:47pm
Specially cause of the Barbarians today are all first reserves of national side who playing rwc and both did the training camp.
Surely today will be a great rugby day for fans who want celebrate the legend Bennett and hope toworrow will be good for all..
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2023 at 3:18pm
Thanks to the wonders of Google, I can now confirm that the game was played on 2nd November 1965, and as I thought England flanker Bob Taylor was involved. The Barbarians won 28-15.

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2023 at 3:23pm
19-7 to Scarlets at halftime. Plumtree, Shaun Evans and Johnny Mac the try scorers.
Seagultaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seagultaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2023 at 3:28pm

Thanks to the wonders of Google, I can now confirm that the game was played on 2nd November 1965, and as I thought England flanker Bob Taylor was involved. The Barbarians won 28-15.

I am sure I saw the Barbarians play Llanelli at Stradey in the early 70s as well. So maybe two previous games.
Boisbach View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boisbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2023 at 4:26pm
Scarlets win 33-19.

Scarlets supporters Man of the Match.... Dan Jones 👏
Grammar School Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grammar School Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2023 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Seagultaf Seagultaf wrote:

I am sure I saw the Barbarians play Llanelli at Stradey in the early 70s as well. So maybe two previous games.

They played them in the 1972-3 centenary season, an evening game, won handily, I think we scored 30 pts.  Dai Morris played for the Baabaas after a full day shift at work.  Mike Burton was on hand also.

Edited by Grammar School Boy - 16 September 2023 at 4:31pm
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2023 at 4:28pm
John, Boisbach, thanks for the info. Great to read and fitting for Benny.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2023 at 5:37pm
Great win, hope to read a good report..

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2023 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Boisbach Boisbach wrote:

Scarlets win 33-19.

Scarlets supporters Man of the Match.... Dan Jones 👏

Excellent news.
scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2023 at 6:07pm
In the end a satisfactory  result for an early  season game.
The Barbarians  had allready convincingly  beaten  Northampton  and Bristol.
They tackled ferociously,  were full of niggle so this was no classic 
Barbarians  type game,  which would not have served us well, in term in terms of pre season prep. 

Scarlets  controlled  possession  and territory  well, in the second half,
but we're not able to turn that dominance  in to points.
The forwards tried repeatedly  to drive over the line   but were repelled by stubborn Barbarians  defence. 
It took a great interception and turn of pace from Eddie James to seal the win .

What concerned me, and most others  at Parc, was the apalling line out , which malfunctioned all game. 
Shaun Evans, wonderful  around the field,  but struggles to throw long , which we continued to to, and failed to execute.
If somthing  is not working,  why continue to compound the frustration with yet more inaccuracy. 
Of the top ball , is the best attacking  weapon,  but the major prerequisite,  is to actually win the ball.
Our new South  African coach has a lot of work to do, together with the scrum  which although OK, was creaky at times.

We should not undestimate the quality of the opposition  , littered with quality Aussies  , and therefore quite a few would have known each other, if not played regularly. 
In that context we can be happy with win with some decent performance,  even though there remains plenty to work on.

I stood yer on tanner bank
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2023 at 6:14pm
How many yellows did the BaaBaas have? Was it 3 or 4?
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2023 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

How many yellows did the BaaBaas have? Was it 3 or 4?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic