Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets v Cell C Sharks match thread..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Winston Winston wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Can anyone explain Tom's strategy when he was trying to keep the ball in play? 

When he knocked the ball back from a metre or more in touch? It's not unusual for players to try to keep the ball in play, to allow for the possibility of a counter-attack or - maybe more often - to indulge in a bit of kick-tennis to try to avoid the opposition getting a foothold deep in our half. It looked a bit risky, but there was another Scarlet nearby (Costelow? not sure).

TBH, I'm not sure why it wasn't played on - he knocked it backwards with both feet off the ground - I thought you could do that but the ref thought otherwise. Maybe one of our forum refs can clarify?

It came off the first time but I noticed it was something he was trying to do a lot. Not a criticism btw. 

The second time the ball had crossed the line. Albeit in the air.  That’s touch 

Do you mean 'all of the ball', or just 'some of the ball"? For a try, or touch, it's enough that just part of the ball touches part of the line.

I'm sure I've seen it played on in the past when it was obvious the whole ball had crossed the line - were the ref team getting it wrong the, or has the law been changed at some point?
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 12:59pm

When he knocked the ball back from a metre or more in touch? It's not unusual for players to try to keep the ball in play, to allow for the possibility of a counter-attack or - maybe more often - to indulge in a bit of kick-tennis to try to avoid the opposition getting a foothold deep in our half. It looked a bit risky, but there was another Scarlet nearby (Costelow? not sure).

TBH, I'm not sure why it wasn't played on - he knocked it backwards with both feet off the ground - I thought you could do that but the ref thought otherwise. Maybe one of our forum refs can clarify?

It came off the first time but I noticed it was something he was trying to do a lot. Not a criticism btw. 

Do you mean 'all of the ball', or just 'some of the ball"? For a try, or touch, it's enough that just part of the ball touches part of the line.

I'm sure I've seen it played on in the past when it was obvious the whole ball had crossed the line - were the ref team getting it wrong the, or has the law been changed at some point?

It also occurs to me that this will potentially complicate those corner try attempts when an athletic winger dives with both feet in the air before touching down - the TMOs will not only have to judge whether the player's foot (or whatever) touched the ground before the ball, they'll also have to check that no part of the ball crossed any part of the line during the dive.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 1:04pm

It's an interesting point, we always see that happen when the ball has clearly crossed the line. Be interesting if any refs on here can shed some light
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 1:36pm
World Rugby law 18. 2.a states

The ball is not in touch or touch-in-goal if it reaches the plane of touch but is caught, knocked or kicked by a player who is in the playing area.

Now that makes me think that the ball must actually land on or over the line, rather than above the line if that makes sense?
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 7:51pm
The players feet have to land on the field of play for this tactic to work. The Shark wing was allowed to play on when his foot had touched the line, one of many calls the reffing team got wrong. (Unless the interpretation of this law has changed?). 
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2023 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

The ball is not in touch or touch-in-goal if it reaches the plane of touch but is caught, knocked or kicked by a player who is in the playing area.

Now that makes me think that the ball must actually land on or over the line, rather than above the line if that makes sense?

Was Tom Rogers 'in play', or was he over the touchline when he knocked it back in ? He was definitely in the air when he played it.
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2023 at 5:30am

That's exactly it. Most famous proponent of this was Tomos Williams for Wales v Oz in the Rugby World Cup in 2019.

Edited by ScarletBear - 28 March 2023 at 5:30am
Scarlets before Wales
daveoda View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2023 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Huwbach Huwbach wrote:

[QUOTE=Rob o'r Bont]Great atmosphere at the ground tonight folks. Reminded me of the Toulon game a few years ago. And what a performance by the team.  I haven't read the thread yet (will save that till Sunday morning after the cwrdd) but I can imagine what's been posted. 

Lofty - you called it again mate, well done. ClapSmile

Brilliant - we are looking semi well oiled. The town will be buzzing let’s hope it’s a sell out Friday 

And a big word for the new man on the mic. Great effort, the best since we lost our beloved Thommo. 
The man on the mic was Rhys Jones, actor formerly on Pobol Y Cwm and good friends with Emyr Wyn,  who earlier in the day was on comms for Viaplay for the Ospreys-Dragons URC  match.
YMLAEN SCARLETS!!!
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2023 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

That's exactly it. Most famous proponent of this was Tomos Williams for Wales v Oz in the Rugby World Cup in 2019.

That is an excellent clip, and possibly a definitive answer.

Tomos W. is standing inside the touchline... the ball clearly crosses the line by miles (OK, a metre or so)... Tomos jumps over the touchline and while still in the air deflects it backwards into the field of play, but lands outside it without catching the ball. 

That was allowed... 

I think it was the other way around with Tom R. - was standing outside the field of play when the ball was kicked, jumped in the air, deflected the ball backwards inside... but presumably touch because he was in touch when his jump started. I'd need to check the recording to be sure, though!
Seagultaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seagultaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2023 at 1:38pm
Gatland was in Swansea on Saturday to check out the Welsh players in the Ospreys v Dragons game. Does anyone know if he then took the very short journey west to watch the Welsh players in the Scarlets v Sharks game?
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2023 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Seagultaf Seagultaf wrote:

Gatland was in Swansea on Saturday to check out the Welsh players in the Ospreys v Dragons game. Does anyone know if he then took the very short journey west to watch the Welsh players in the Scarlets v Sharks game?

Well Moriarty certainly made an impression after his recent press interview.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2023 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Silly boy, really bad effort by Dragons illegally targeting the Osprey 10. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2023 at 1:53pm

Can’t say I noticed the cameras picking him out and they usually do.

He might have been in a hospitality box out of sight of the cameras although that’s pure and unadulterated guesswork.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2023 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Can’t say I noticed the cameras picking him out and they usually do.

He might have been in a hospitality box out of sight of the cameras although that’s pure and unadulterated guesswork.
if he was there he surely saw the 9 10 12 possibly 13 and 11 to start the first game of World Cup but I won’t hold my breath. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
ndavies198 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndavies198 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2023 at 2:38pm

I'm sure on S4C they spoke to Johnathan Thomas during the match so I'd guess he was there as proxy. I might've misheard the name though.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2023 at 2:38pm
I'm sure I heard someone say the Welsh coaches were there, taking in their second game of the day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
  Share Topic