Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scotty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2021 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

I'd like to think that to play for Wales you should feel Welsh. As some, who have possibly not been brought up in Wales, have pointed out they can still feel quite a strong feeling of belonging or hiraeth even when spending most of their life elsewhere. What Welsh qualification should be avoiding are carpetbaggers who have little affection or knowledge of Cymru but see playing for Wales as a lucrative, short term career move.

Too vague Dai. On that reckoning Hadleigh doesn't qualify for you as he took the money until something more lucrative came calling in Japan. 
Sponsored Links

Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2021 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Is he ever going to be an actual doctor?
He went down in my estimation when after immediately qualifying as Dr  and having been supported by the Blues,  whilst he did his training, he left the club. 
Yet he is moaning about loyalty from clubs and country. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2021 at 2:34pm
I think its unavoidable in the professional game, Its why alot of Tongan’s / New zealanders and South Africans play for other countries. Huge talent pool and only so many high paying places. Plus convenience too. To earn £20,000 - £50,000 for an autumn series in one if the big rugby nations far outweighs the £500 per game the Tongan national team were reported to be earning.
Dai Guevara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai Guevara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2021 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I'd like to think that to play for Wales you should feel Welsh. As some, who have possibly not been brought up in Wales, have pointed out they can still feel quite a strong feeling of belonging or hiraeth even when spending most of their life elsewhere. What Welsh qualification should be avoiding are carpetbaggers who have little affection or knowledge of Cymru but see playing for Wales as a lucrative, short term career move.

Too vague Dai. On that reckoning Hadleigh doesn't qualify for you as he took the money until something more lucrative came calling in Japan. 

Of course, the difficulty was in knowing beforehand what his intentions were. Certainly if it was in my hands and I had foreknowledge of his later actions I would not have him near the Welsh team. This was why I earlier suggested an interview or test- not foolproof but an extra barrier for those whose aspirations are purely monetary.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2021 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

I think its unavoidable in the professional game, Its why alot of Tongan’s / New zealanders and South Africans play for other countries. Huge talent pool and only so many high paying places. Plus convenience too. To earn £20,000 - £50,000 for an autumn series in one if the big rugby nations far outweighs the £500 per game the Tongan national team were reported to be earning.

Here's an idea. Why not every nation agree that a flat rate payment is made for International duty regardless of country financed through World Rugby who could levy all countries for contributions which would depend on ability to pay. 
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2021 at 2:56pm
If you'd rather cheer on a Welsh team featuring 5/6/7 guys who spent their childhoods/teens/ early adult life living in New Zealand/SA/Aus, than a team of guys brought up locally who have links to their communities from birth, then your definition of a National team is very different to mine. 

I feel less and less of a connection and care for the Wales jersey the more I see us plucking absolutely anyone half decent, no matter where they come from. I struggle to see how my thoughts are in the minority. 
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2021 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Sosban89 Sosban89 wrote:

If you'd rather cheer on a Welsh team featuring 5/6/7 guys who spent their childhoods/teens/ early adult life living in New Zealand/SA/Aus, than a team of guys brought up locally who have links to their communities from birth, then your definition of a National team is very different to mine. 

I feel less and less of a connection and care for the Wales jersey the more I see us plucking absolutely anyone half decent, no matter where they come from. I struggle to see how my thoughts are in the minority. 

How many do you think there should be? 3? 1? none?
EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2021 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by EJPT EJPT wrote:

Here's an idea. Why not every nation agree that a flat rate payment is made for International duty regardless of country financed through World Rugby who could levy all countries for contributions which would depend on ability to pay. 
Wow now thats way too sensible for world rugby. LOL
Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2021 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

None obviously. 
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2021 at 4:10pm

None obviously. 

Wow. Well I for one am glad rugby union is more inclusive that that.
Busy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2021 at 4:37pm

If a person, not brought up in Wales, aspires to represent this great nation, then a little interview or exam involving our history, and culture is called for along with a half decent attempt at Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau.
International rugby. I'd say none
Busy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Busy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2021 at 4:39pm

None obviously. 

Wow. Well I for one am glad rugby union is more inclusive that that.
I'd say obviously none at international level. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2021 at 5:10pm

If a person, not brought up in Wales, aspires to represent this great nation, then a little interview or exam involving our history, and culture is called for along with a half decent attempt at Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau.

And broadcast live at 5:59 before the news LOL

Completely agree with this 2nd point - International rugby does have to be about more than money, there has to be some integrity to it. 

Obviously the “feeling” a certain nationality thing is hard to define, but lots of countries have citizenship tests and I can’t see why a national team couldnt invent their own. A few verses of Men of Harlech for the non-welsh speakers 😅
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2021 at 5:29pm

When I watch the Scarlets, I really love the fact that so many local kids have been given the chance to perform and have an exciting career. I also love the fact that we import high quality* players to help the team succeed.

*ideally

We're still still here!
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2021 at 5:58pm
I think a lot of Southern Hemisphere players aren’t good enough for their national teams so settle for lower tier wales. 
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2021 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

I think a lot of Southern Hemisphere players aren’t good enough for their national teams so settle for lower tier wales. 
Certainly glad that gets us players like Reggie, Sione, Parkes and McNicholl.
We're still still here!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic