Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Scrum v has gone awful
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login


Scrum v has gone awful

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Message
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 03 November 2019
Location: Llanelli
Status: Online
Points: 1467
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2022 at 11:27am
I'd forgotten the 3 feathers bloke,it was as far as I got Flagship programme for the national sport on the public broadcasting service.
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 30 August 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 14833
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2022 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

I caught up with it last night totally dire, that clown dressed as the 3 feathers, the amazing (but incorrect stat) the italy and scrum halfs are welsh speakers, the presenters panic whn jiffy rightly called out the wru to the inane punditry of josh and siwan. What a dreadful show

Thats the bbc in a nutshell....over scripted over produced over controlled drivel. If pundits arent allowed to give genuine opinions whats the point of them being there? whats the point of the show?
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Back to Top
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
Don't blink

Joined: 15 August 2004
Location: Pemberton
Status: Offline
Points: 21890
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2022 at 4:45pm
If I ever think scrum v is awful I think of premier sports and suddenly scrum v becomes worthy of an award. 
Back to Top
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 01 December 2014
Location: Rhydcymerau
Status: Offline
Points: 14366
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2022 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

If I ever think scrum v is awful I think of premier sports and suddenly scrum v becomes worthy of an award. 

Cannot disagree with that. 
Back to Top
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 27 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 15407
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2022 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

If I ever think scrum v is awful I think of premier sports and suddenly scrum v becomes worthy of an award. 
 i’d say scrum v is even worse these days
Back to Top
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Avatar

Joined: 23 August 2009
Location: Africa
Status: Offline
Points: 47576
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2022 at 5:21pm
The piece with Phil Steele interviewing Dafydd James was poignant, painful to watch and a sobering account of what being outside/cast out of the sporting limelight can do to a person.

The Scarlets should reflect on the outcome, and ensure they do all they possibly can to avoid that happening again.

Back to Top
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 27 April 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 15407
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2022 at 5:29pm
Was a v good interview and a good but hard watch. Scrum v was better this week more focus on rugby and  not daft comedy sketches . Btw lloyd ashley  doing a good job with his mental health work. 

Edited by RR1972 - 21 February 2022 at 5:31pm
Back to Top
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 30 August 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 14833
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2022 at 6:20pm
Daf james has been talking about this for a few years and it seems not enough has been dont to help him and others in that position. His contract was terminated due to missing months of rugby through injury, harsh. His coaching career also never took off the ground possibly after his playing contract was terminated and he wasnt allowed on the team bus

Im surprised the pro game hasnt got a more thorough strategy on players welfare. Especially with regards premature retirement for injured players, which lets face it happens to a vast number of them. The whole issue of mens health and men who lose their careers etc is a multi factorial complex issue that needs a comprehensive strategy and requires probably tens of billions of govt funding. 

On the bigger picture, the WAg and UK govt need to step up. Suicide rates are record high, male homelessness record high, no male shelters either...The divorce courts dont help either. Consider that 50% of marriages end in divorce and in 85% of them the husband loses his wife, his home and access to his children. Throw in losing your career, your future career and injuries all on top of that at the same time and you have a perfect storm.

what the heck happened to empathy?

A 3 minute clip on scrum v alone means nothing. I say the scarlets could look to have some awareness/fund raising events for daf and players mental health etc Get a few boards around the pitch too and invite drakeford down for these events. 

ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Back to Top
Openside75 View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 04 October 2021
Location: Ponthenri
Status: Offline
Points: 79
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Openside75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2022 at 6:23pm
It's what happens when identity politics mixed with so called positive discrimination takes hold. Got quotas to reach. Women represented. Gay men represented. Give it time and they'll also be looking to employ some trans athlete too. Let's just use merit. Be you gay, green, female, male or identify as a bloody giraffe. If you're the best person for the job, then it's yours.....but no, this is 2022 and wokeness rules.........
Back to Top
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Avatar

Joined: 08 April 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 25261
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2022 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Daf james has been talking about this for a few years and it seems not enough has been dont to help him and others in that position. His contract was terminated due to missing months of rugby through injury, harsh. His coaching career also never took off the ground possibly after his playing contract was terminated and he wasnt allowed on the team bus

Im surprised the pro game hasnt got a more thorough strategy on players welfare. Especially with regards premature retirement for injured players, which lets face it happens to a vast number of them. The whole issue of mens health and men who lose their careers etc is a multi factorial complex issue that needs a comprehensive strategy and requires probably tens of billions of govt funding. 

On the bigger picture, the WAg and UK govt need to step up. Suicide rates are record high, male homelessness record high, no male shelters either...The divorce courts dont help either. Consider that 50% of marriages end in divorce and in 85% of them the husband loses his wife, his home and access to his children. Throw in losing your career, your future career and injuries all on top of that at the same time and you have a perfect storm.

what the heck happened to empathy?

A 3 minute clip on scrum v alone means nothing. I say the scarlets could look to have some awareness/fund raising events for daf and players mental health etc Get a few boards around the pitch too and invite drakeford down for these events. 

Those were dark days for the scarlets but daf wasn't alone,one club player phil davies was similarly treated very shabbily .
Back to Top
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 30 August 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 14833
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2022 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Openside75 Openside75 wrote:

It's what happens when identity politics mixed with so called positive discrimination takes hold. Got quotas to reach. Women represented. Gay men represented. Give it time and they'll also be looking to employ some trans athlete too. Let's just use merit. Be you gay, green, female, male or identify as a bloody giraffe. If you're the best person for the job, then it's yours.....but no, this is 2022 and wokeness rules.........

Everything on merit I say too and judged on the content of their ability and character.

One cant reasonably enforce exact percentages of groups of people who get employed in all areas, all one can do is create as far as possible equal opportunity for all without enforcing equality of outcome. Take for example, schools and call centres see vast majority of female employees , engineering and refuge collection , majority of male employees. Encourage men and women and all other minorities into all these fields , remove the barriers etc Look at things like shaw trust and remply they did greta work bringing disabled people into the workforce but all that has disappeared sadly .

But how can one enforce 50/50% in all occupations? Impossible just keep removing barriers for all people , opportunity for all

Simply put, the best person for the job. Amen.


ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Back to Top
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 30 August 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 14833
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2022 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Daf james has been talking about this for a few years and it seems not enough has been dont to help him and others in that position. His contract was terminated due to missing months of rugby through injury, harsh. His coaching career also never took off the ground possibly after his playing contract was terminated and he wasnt allowed on the team bus

Im surprised the pro game hasnt got a more thorough strategy on players welfare. Especially with regards premature retirement for injured players, which lets face it happens to a vast number of them. The whole issue of mens health and men who lose their careers etc is a multi factorial complex issue that needs a comprehensive strategy and requires probably tens of billions of govt funding. 

On the bigger picture, the WAg and UK govt need to step up. Suicide rates are record high, male homelessness record high, no male shelters either...The divorce courts dont help either. Consider that 50% of marriages end in divorce and in 85% of them the husband loses his wife, his home and access to his children. Throw in losing your career, your future career and injuries all on top of that at the same time and you have a perfect storm.

what the heck happened to empathy?

A 3 minute clip on scrum v alone means nothing. I say the scarlets could look to have some awareness/fund raising events for daf and players mental health etc Get a few boards around the pitch too and invite drakeford down for these events. 

Those were dark days for the scarlets but daf wasn't alone,one club player phil davies was similarly treated very shabbily .

I dont know the ins and outs of it all and all the details. Its a shame it ended that way. It would be great to see if we can take a positive from it moving forward
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Back to Top
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Avatar

Joined: 23 August 2009
Location: Africa
Status: Offline
Points: 47576
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2022 at 7:16pm
We did a few things that were unsavoury to say the least.

I have to say there’s a fair few posters on this forum that are more than happy to toss out injury prone players with little care on the outcome for that player.

We can’t have it both ways.
Back to Top
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 30 August 2010
Status: Offline
Points: 14833
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2022 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

We did a few things that were unsavoury to say the least.

I have to say there’s a fair few posters on this forum that are more than happy to toss out injury prone players with little care on the outcome for that player.

We can’t have it both ways.

I assume they mean to drop the player but Id like to think the club and the fans main concern is the long term health and well being of the player. Also whats the story with insurance and income / sickness policies for injured players will?
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Back to Top
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 11 August 2012
Location: Machynys
Status: Offline
Points: 15413
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2022 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Was a v good interview and a good but hard watch. Scrum v was better this week more focus on rugby and  not daft comedy sketches . Btw lloyd ashley  doing a good job with his mental health work. 
 

Yes I agree with you. Covered some Premiership stuff as well as Phil back doing his moving interviews with Daf . 
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
Back to Top
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
Don't blink

Joined: 15 August 2004
Location: Pemberton
Status: Offline
Points: 21890
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2022 at 7:39pm
Don’t clubs have medicals before signing players? 
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.094 seconds.