Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seb Davies.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2021 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Jarrod has had two fine games against us but we hardly tested him ,and he was in a different class to our ponderous, slow thinking side. He can hardly expect to have such a cushy number against Ireland where the coaches will have spent time analysing his weaknesses and devising ways to counter his strengths. I'd certainly have him on the bench where he could be quite devastating if the play breaks up and is less regimented. Biggar to start and keep things tight early on.

So Dai you are setting out our stall to try to stay within touch of Ireland for as long as possible & then sneek it via Jarrod? I see your logic but I don't agree with it. We are not going to win the kicking battle aerially with the Irish if what I saw last night is anything to go by. Murray will torment us with contestable box kicking which I am afraid we cannot match. 

Our only chance is to surprise them with our tactics and go for tempo using Tomos's pace to the breakdown & Jarrod's passing skills to get Johnny, George, Adams & LRZ over the gainline and get Halfpenny to kick everything on offer. Look Jarrod is indeed raw, he has been omitted and told to work on his game management and distance kicking game. Well lets see if he has learnt by taking it to the Irish. If we go into that game with containment on our mind we are going to be disappointed I fear. A similar fate will await the Scarlets next weekend unless we find some tempo and invention at half back. 
Sponsored Links

dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2021 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Dai Guevara Dai Guevara wrote:

Jarrod has had two fine games against us but we hardly tested him ,and he was in a different class to our ponderous, slow thinking side. He can hardly expect to have such a cushy number against Ireland where the coaches will have spent time analysing his weaknesses and devising ways to counter his strengths. I'd certainly have him on the bench where he could be quite devastating if the play breaks up and is less regimented. Biggar to start and keep things tight early on.

So Dai you are setting out our stall to try to stay within touch of Ireland for as long as possible & then sneek it via Jarrod? I see your logic but I don't agree with it. We are not going to win the kicking battle aerially with the Irish if what I saw last night is anything to go by. Murray will torment us with contestable box kicking which I am afraid we cannot match. 

Our only chance is to surprise them with our tactics and go for tempo using Tomos's pace to the breakdown & Jarrod's passing skills to get Johnny, George, Adams & LRZ over the gainline and get Halfpenny to kick everything on offer. Look Jarrod is indeed raw, he has been omitted and told to work on his game management and distance kicking game. Well lets see if he has learnt by taking it to the Irish. If we go into that game with containment on our mind we are going to be disappointed I fear. A similar fate will await the Scarlets next weekend unless we find some tempo and invention at half back. 

I completely agree. The daftest thing would be to go out there with Biggar (though he is a top quality 10) lose narrowly and learn nothing. 

As I’ve said before, most people are expecting us to lose to Ireland. So we should try something different. Jarrod at 10 is the only significant different thing we could try. If it’s not working, or we need some game management, bring Biggar off the bench.

The Irish will have researched and understand Biggar’s game more than Evans’. Plus, Evans has that unpredictability and ability to bring the best out of those outside him. 

For all Biggars talents, I don’t think he does bring the best out of our outside backs.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2021 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Dic Penderyn Dic Penderyn wrote:

I thought Davies put in a quality performance last night,with genuine physicality.Hill was outstanding in both games.In contrast,I think we need to recruit in this area-we have quality,but young for the position.As someone who wants to see a good Welsh side,I'm glad Davies is not involved in the 6 Nations.I wouldn't want to see him end up like Ball-putting body on the line,doing the graft of 2 locks and waking up in a hospital bed to read head-lines about the "legend" he has to carry every game.

Seb Davies has great skills and always has. But compare his physicality to the “best” 2nd rows around - Itoje, Lawes, Ryan, Etzebeth and you see that the 2nd row is all about physical dominance and line out excellence.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2021 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

I thought Davies put in a quality performance last night,with genuine physicality.Hill was outstanding in both games.In contrast,I think we need to recruit in this area-we have quality,but young for the position.As someone who wants to see a good Welsh side,I'm glad Davies is not involved in the 6 Nations.I wouldn't want to see him end up like Ball-putting body on the line,doing the graft of 2 locks and waking up in a hospital bed to read head-lines about the "legend" he has to carry every game.

Seb Davies has great skills and always has. But compare his physicality to the “best” 2nd rows around - Itoje, Lawes, Ryan, Etzebeth and you see that the 2nd row is all about physical dominance and line out excellence.

Quite agree. Hes a got pro14 SR. Not good enough for international level. I would class Beard in thst category too.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2021 at 7:47am
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

Quite agree. Hes a got pro14 SR. Not good enough for international level. I would class Beard in thst category too.

Beard seems to take some heat on this site but in every game I have seen him in the past weeks including yesterday he has been very good. The Ospreys driving maul 2nd half yesterday was a real weapon with Beard at the forefront. Personally he would get the nod for me to start alongside Jake against Ireland. He is better than Rowlands inn my humble opinion. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2021 at 12:15pm

Beard seems to take some heat on this site but in every game I have seen him in the past weeks including yesterday he has been very good. The Ospreys driving maul 2nd half yesterday was a real weapon with Beard at the forefront. Personally he would get the nod for me to start alongside Jake against Ireland. He is better than Rowlands inn my humble opinion. 

Reliable in the line out and useful in the maul defence. Luke Charteris-esque. Agree with some that his skills are lacking in other areas but Wales are lacking in the basics these days - line out, maul included. Deserves a place back in the team.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2021 at 9:24am

Reliable in the line out and useful in the maul defence. Luke Charteris-esque. Agree with some that his skills are lacking in other areas but Wales are lacking in the basics these days - line out, maul included. Deserves a place back in the team.
Spot on👍
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic