Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Simon Muderak Scrum V Podcast

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

our squad costs £8mill a year but Benettons spend £10million euros, Leinster £13/14 milliion.

It was 13m Euros I think. That's what wins leagues and cups. All about the money.

How do Benetton figure in to that thinking?

It's a weird one, but I reckon it's because Italy only have 2 teams, all the Italy players are spread across them therefore they have to take the brunt of the payroll. Same with Scotland - in the last Scotland accounts, the Scottish Union spent £30m on the professional game - being that they only have 2 pro teams as well, the payrolls of each team will be large. Probably as large as Benetton's.
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 3:47pm
Any hints on the TV deal as to amount of money and/or which broadcaster? I’m clinging to a hope that it’s not the continuation of Premier Sports even if they pay more. They struggle to afford to broadcast it now and have the token gesture pre and post-match set up now, having economised.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Any hints on the TV deal as to amount of money and/or which broadcaster? I’m clinging to a hope that it’s not the continuation of Premier Sports even if they pay more. They struggle to afford to broadcast it now and have the token gesture pre and post-match set up now, having economised.

Yes EO I continually question what I am doing paying for that total amateur coverage when we are playing so poorly. I obviously have a problem - eternal optimism comes to mind.......wonder if they have a jab for that................
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 6:31pm

Nothing from this interview, he said the deal was close to being finalised. So I'm prepared for a very small uplift, probably inflationary. 
We're still still here!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 6:42pm
Thanks GPR & Wasp.

The candle of optimism will burn brightly until such time as that last hope is extinguished on the gale from a Premier Sports renewal.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 6:55pm

Thanks GPR & Wasp.

The candle of optimism will burn brightly until such time as that last hope is extinguished on the gale from a Premier Sports renewal.
Sorry Steve, Prem Sports are front runners
We're still still here!
dyniol53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 7:03pm
I also thought it was a good interview. 

He’s definitely correct that rugby doesn’t think in terms of its “product” very well. Perhaps CVC will help that process. Though their experience is with the F1.

The new Pro16 TV deal does sound better than Premier Sports. It will be annoying for some of us hardcore fans who watch as many games as possible, but frankly Premier sports made the league invisible to casual rugby fans. The league isn’t enough of a pull on its own for many sports fans to justify another subscription. A mix of S4C, BBC and Sky Sports will boost its reach again. 

Hopefully reducing the squad sizes with less overlap with international fixtures will improve the quality of players and fixtures.

There’s still no quick fix for attendances though, which is something that needs to be looked at post-covid. Games with half empty stadiums don’t create atmosphere which is one part of the TV product too.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 7:13pm
Sky have pulled out that's the rumour. Looks like Premier sports again
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
pillory View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pillory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 7:17pm
I resolved myself to saying, Premier Sports is a way I can guarantee to watch every Scarlets game. 
N14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by pillory pillory wrote:

I resolved myself to saying, Premier Sports is a way I can guarantee to watch every Scarlets game. 

And as poor a product as they put out, that is the only positive. We’ve never had that before from Sky or BBC
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 7:23pm
Jeez, Premier Sports are proper pants.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 7:24pm
I can understand trimming the squad, but I would to knoe how are the players who are extremely fit. Between long injuries and injuries prone I dont think we are so deep....we are not Leinster who for choice decide to field 50 and plus players 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Thanks GPR & Wasp.

As Boz Scaggs said, “What Can I Say?”

Just opened some 🍻 for consolation of dashed hopes.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

I also thought it was a good interview. 

He’s definitely correct that rugby doesn’t think in terms of its “product” very well. Perhaps CVC will help that process. Though their experience is with the F1.

The new Pro16 TV deal does sound better than Premier Sports. It will be annoying for some of us hardcore fans who watch as many games as possible, but frankly Premier sports made the league invisible to casual rugby fans. The league isn’t enough of a pull on its own for many sports fans to justify another subscription. A mix of S4C, BBC and Sky Sports will boost its reach again. 

Hopefully reducing the squad sizes with less overlap with international fixtures will improve the quality of players and fixtures.

There’s still no quick fix for attendances though, which is something that needs to be looked at post-covid. Games with half empty stadiums don’t create atmosphere which is one part of the TV product too.
Ticket prices and ST prices are probably too high for an area with £26k average wage. Even more so considering there will likely be fewer league and ERC games next season. 

I do think that a bigger, noisier crowd has an intangible value as well as the ticket sales income. I'd like to see some innovations, like £15/ticket and £7.50 for kids including a free food item (hotdog /pie /pasty /burger / soft drink). That way it's a cheaper day out for the family. £45 including food. 

Most money comes from TV, sponsorship, hospitality and the rare big crowd days like Os at home or a KO game (withdraw the offer on those days).
We're still still here!
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 8:12pm

Thanks GPR & Wasp.

I've nearly finished my bottle of Pinot..
We're still still here!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 8:19pm

Thanks GPR & Wasp.

I've nearly finished my bottle of Pinot..
What’s next on the menu? Wink

I’m undecided. EDIT Fursty Ferret from Hall & Woodhouse in Dorset.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 08 April 2021 at 8:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic