Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Squads morale

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squads morale
    Posted: 16 April 2023 at 8:38am
There is a very interesting dynamic at play when you start to compare the form etc of the four regions. Remarkably the Scarlets squad seem more united and committed than all other squads despite the turmoil going on in recent months. 

My own view is that we have the on & off field management to thank for this disparity. Someone has done a hell of a job keeping this squad of players focused on performance & improvement. I can sympathise wholeheartedly with the predicament that Dai Young & Booth have found themselves in. I leave out the Dragons because they seem destined for mediocrity which is not the fault of Flannagan but numerous bad appointment previously. 

I am usually at the front of the queue if I see poor rugby so let me be at the front of this particular queue in applauding the unseen & often unsung work being done at PYS. It warms the soul. 
Sponsored Links

scarletpimp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletpimp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2023 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

There is a very interesting dynamic at play when you start to compare the form etc of the four regions. Remarkably the Scarlets squad seem more united and committed than all other squads despite the turmoil going on in recent months. 

My own view is that we have the on & off field management to thank for this disparity. Someone has done a hell of a job keeping this squad of players focused on performance & improvement. I can sympathise wholeheartedly with the predicament that Dai Young & Booth have found themselves in. I leave out the Dragons because they seem destined for mediocrity which is not the fault of Flannagan but numerous bad appointment previously. 

I am usually at the front of the queue if I see poor rugby so let me be at the front of this particular queue in applauding the unseen & often unsung work being done at PYS. It warms the soul. 

Great post GPR..thanks!
We at Parc , after the awful start to season, are making the most of resources  we have, particularly,  bearing  in mind there Is STILL  a lengthy injury  list.We rediscoverd winning habit,and a style of playing  which suits us, similar to our successful  years under  Pivac.

Regarding  Ospreys and Cardiff, do'nt know what to say!
Both have produced good performances  beating  Leicester, Montpellier,  Sale etc..but no consistency. 
Cardiff with some  powerful forwards  and strong  backs, and on the face of it, have stronger squad  than we have at Parc ,and should me doing considerably  better. 
Ospreys  the same.
Gives the 2 region brigade a " free hit " almost
I stood yer on tanner bank
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2023 at 10:31am
Preparation off the pitch has a long-term effect on the pitch. I know that Scarlets management were very 'up-front' & open with players and staff (about the PRA situation and likely impact on budgets for the next few seasons) towards the end of 2022, when performances had been so disappointing, and I think the squad have responded to that honesty, whether they good news or bad.

My view is that Lee Blackett's arrival certainly helped Peel, but it was more down to Gareth Williams's work on defence (while maintaining discipline) that gelled the team on the pitch & enabled them to execute other parts of their game better. BTW, I loved seeing Blackett's reaction to Fifita's runaway try in Scotstoun being disallowed - I'm no lip-reader, but his views were very clear, and he's obviously feeling part of the set-up at the Parc. Ultimately, he came from a Head Coach role at Wasps, so only natural that he'd be looking for new opportunities at the same level.

The key difference I still see between Scarlets & the other Welsh pro sides is that we have a plan. We pretty much know our squad for next season, and have a seen a number of young players break through which affirms the next steps. The others are now haemorrhaging players and scrabbling around to fill key positions on the cheap. Scarlets actually have a multi-year business plan, as anyone might expect of a pro sports business, but, astonishingly, the others don't: Ospreys are managed hand to mouth by their generous-but-volatile owner, and Y11 are reportedly divesting ~2 years after investing; Cardiff look better on the face of it, for all the benevolence of the late, great Peter Thomas, but are still run like an amateur club and still have no long-term surety over their home ground (nor outside halves for next season Embarrassed); and Dragons have two months to return to private ownership, although I'm sure Dai Buttress will have a plan ready to go once that's achieved.

It's no wonder that all this rubs off on player morale, and it's perhaps telling that Scarlets seem in better shape - it's not great for anyone, but we've given ourselves the best chance to not only survive but compete.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2023 at 11:01am
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Preparation off the pitch has a long-term effect on the pitch. I know that Scarlets management were very 'up-front' & open with players and staff (about the PRA situation and likely impact on budgets for the next few seasons) towards the end of 2022, when performances had been so disappointing, and I think the squad have responded to that honesty, whether they good news or bad.

My view is that Lee Blackett's arrival certainly helped Peel, but it was more down to Gareth Williams's work on defence (while maintaining discipline) that gelled the team on the pitch & enabled them to execute other parts of their game better. BTW, I loved seeing Blackett's reaction to Fifita's runaway try in Scotstoun being disallowed - I'm no lip-reader, but his views were very clear, and he's obviously feeling part of the set-up at the Parc. Ultimately, he came from a Head Coach role at Wasps, so only natural that he'd be looking for new opportunities at the same level.

The key difference I still see between Scarlets & the other Welsh pro sides is that we have a plan. We pretty much know our squad for next season, and have a seen a number of young players break through which affirms the next steps. The others are now haemorrhaging players and scrabbling around to fill key positions on the cheap. Scarlets actually have a multi-year business plan, as anyone might expect of a pro sports business, but, astonishingly, the others don't: Ospreys are managed hand to mouth by their generous-but-volatile owner, and Y11 are reportedly divesting ~2 years after investing; Cardiff look better on the face of it, for all the benevolence of the late, great Peter Thomas, but are still run like an amateur club and still have no long-term surety over their home ground (nor outside halves for next season Embarrassed); and Dragons have two months to return to private ownership, although I'm sure Dai Buttress will have a plan ready to go once that's achieved.

It's no wonder that all this rubs off on player morale, and it's perhaps telling that Scarlets seem in better shape - it's not great for anyone, but we've given ourselves the best chance to not only survive but compete.
Have to agree except the Cardiff bit I think they are in deep cach they are losing some of their top players and don’t have money to replace them. 
They are a disgrace as a capital club with the population they have with the wealth in the area they should be one of the top teams in Europe. 
We have regularly out performed them on and off the field and have produced more internationals since regional rugby started. 
Yet they will always be safe because they are Cardiff 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2023 at 11:45am
This positive feeling rubs down through to academy level as well, having spoken to a few they have been spoken to and assured so long as they maintain their progress all is ok, whereas other regions are somewhat at sea and not so confident in their future be it through no dialogue or negative information. The other bonus is seeing academy peers breaking into the 1st team squad which gives them genuine aspirations. So well done to all backroom staff in keeping the whole process from top to bottom aware and involved.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2023 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by scarletabroad scarletabroad wrote:

This positive feeling rubs down through to academy level as well, having spoken to a few they have been spoken to and assured so long as they maintain their progress all is ok, whereas other regions are somewhat at sea and not so confident in their future be it through no dialogue or negative information. The other bonus is seeing academy peers breaking into the 1st team squad which gives them genuine aspirations. So well done to all backroom staff in keeping the whole process from top to bottom aware and involved.

Thanks for that - that is very reassuring. Thumbs Up
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2023 at 3:03pm
It might have been the Times obituary on Peter Thomas, however, I have read that Peter Thomas left funds for Cardiff Rugby’s future well-being. All will be revealed in due course, probably.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic