Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stuck in the 70's and 80's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2012 at 9:03am
70's was the peak of musical creativity, factWink The best sport as well, Big Ron's Albion side breakiing down racial barriers/Malcom Allison's fedora/Best and Marsh/Bowles/Cunnigham/Regis/Keegan/ Benny's try in Murrayfield/my first Scarlets match/James Hunt/Barry Sheene/Borg/Conteh/Ali/Jackie Pallo....jumpers for goalposts, isn't it? mmmm? Marvelous.
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2012 at 9:04am
Brings a nostalgic tear top the eye!
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 10:07am
Originally posted by no.6 no.6 wrote:

70's was the peak of musical creativity, factWink The best sport as well, Big Ron's Albion side breakiing down racial barriers/Malcom Allison's fedora/Best and Marsh/Bowles/Cunnigham/Regis/Keegan/ Benny's try in Murrayfield/my first Scarlets match/James Hunt/Barry Sheene/Borg/Conteh/Ali/Jackie Pallo....jumpers for goalposts, isn't it? mmmm? Marvelous.

Spot on post Sir, of the 70's 80's 90's and now in 20's, the 70's was a fantastic time to grow up, i agree with all your sentiments.Clap

The 60's was special too, walking to Dafen Primary school with the clay overhead buckets going to the brick works, everybody walked to school then playing football with Havard Road Colts, playing football on Dafen school yard with Dickie, Popeye, the brilliant Bongo and all those great children, happy happy years.

Mrs Morgan canning the crap out of me, for being my usual self, my mam walking to the school to deck her for going to far. Mr Evans the Headmaster talking about the War and the Spitfires, Hippy type teacher students strumming guitars and singing Bob Dylan songs, the nit lady, horrible semolina yuk stuff in the school cantten and a horrible canteen lady who kept clipping me across my bonce for refusing to eat it, brown satchels that were far to small for all the homework i never did, holes in my shoes, one pair a year, hopefully leather soles cos they lasted the longest, played in them, went to school in them, hating the rain cos you feet always got wet due to the holes, taping up cornflake packets into squares and putting them into your inserts and hoped they would last the day. Having one yogurt a week from the milkman, Ski it was and it was bloody lush, only having fruit and grapes and nuts at Christmas, never saw the things all year.
Getting up in the morning and hoping your father had lit the fire and at least it would be warm in the living room, lino was bloody freezing in winter, hated it when the newspaper was stuck on the fire guard and drawing the fire, all the heat was hidden, waking up and there would be frost on your bedsheet, bloody freezing mun. Everybody though was in the same boat and for me even though it was hard i look back with fondness because i was bloody happy.
And then the 70's and Stebo in the big boys school, i absolutely loved the place, bonkers place. Yep the 70's was a great time and where the Lofty nickname was created by a Stebonheath teacher, 

Edited by lofty evans - 30 January 2012 at 10:08am
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 10:38am
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

Originally posted by no.6 no.6 wrote:

Spot on post Sir, of the 70's 80's 90's and now in 20's, the 70's was a fantastic time to grow up, i agree with all your sentiments.Clap

The 60's was special too, walking to Dafen Primary school with the clay overhead buckets going to the brick works, everybody walked to school then playing football with Havard Road Colts, playing football on Dafen school yard with Dickie, Popeye, the brilliant Bongo and all those great children, happy happy years.

Mrs Morgan canning the crap out of me, for being my usual self, my mam walking to the school to deck her for going to far. Mr Evans the Headmaster talking about the War and the Spitfires, Hippy type teacher students strumming guitars and singing Bob Dylan songs, the nit lady, horrible semolina yuk stuff in the school cantten and a horrible canteen lady who kept clipping me across my bonce for refusing to eat it, brown satchels that were far to small for all the homework i never did, holes in my shoes, one pair a year, hopefully leather soles cos they lasted the longest, played in them, went to school in them, hating the rain cos you feet always got wet due to the holes, taping up cornflake packets into squares and putting them into your inserts and hoped they would last the day. Having one yogurt a week from the milkman, Ski it was and it was bloody lush, only having fruit and grapes and nuts at Christmas, never saw the things all year.
Getting up in the morning and hoping your father had lit the fire and at least it would be warm in the living room, lino was bloody freezing in winter, hated it when the newspaper was stuck on the fire guard and drawing the fire, all the heat was hidden, waking up and there would be frost on your bedsheet, bloody freezing mun. Everybody though was in the same boat and for me even though it was hard i look back with fondness because i was bloody happy.
And then the 70's and Stebo in the big boys school, i absolutely loved the place, bonkers place. Yep the 70's was a great time and where the Lofty nickname was created by a Stebonheath teacher, 

you could swear you'd put me in a time machine there mate.semolina was okay with a big dollop of jam stirred in it.Big smile
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 11:06am
I was a Sea Cadet at TS Echo at the age of 10, they let me join early cos i was pretty tall and my mam wanted me to do something positive, instead of playing football and getting into trouble all the time. Great place the Sea Cadets, spent four years at the place with real Seamen who were giving something back into the community. Lt Ward a huge smiling guy was the Commanding Officer and a Petty Officer North with a huge beard, he was a brilliant laugh and a real old seadog.
Used to spend weekends here and there in various locations all over Britian and i became an expert rower, dinghy and sail boat. Was part of the guard group who would march for Remembrance day in Llanelli and be on parade with our rifles and white webbing and bayonets.
We would be there all morning on parade and head of the march as the Senior service. Brilliant really, 11 and 12 and 13 year old boys being allowed into the British Legion after the parade and ceremony at the war memorial.
Having some sips of shandy and scoff and the old war veterans telling you their stories.
You would train for weeks for the March, every Monday and Friday and catch the bus down from Gorsfach in Dafen to TS Echo.
Catch the 10.00 bus home from outside the Glen and as you were in uniform you would always get the remarks and banter. Saw some bloody sights outside the Glen on a Friday waiting for the bus mind.
Went to RAF Lossiemouth in Elgin Scotland for two weeks when i was 11, went with Gareth Beynon all the way by train. Caught the train from Llanelli to London and then from there all the way up to Scotland. Pretty daunting for a young boy, but off we went, spoilt rotten up there at the airbase. Shackleton reconnaissance planes and Phantoms were amazing to see and hear taking off. Great times really but it was always superb pulling into Llanelly train station and coming home and that was in the early 70's.

Edited by lofty evans - 30 January 2012 at 11:08am
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2012 at 11:38am
Ocean World, Bangkok..
Mrs C ( a little harsh in my view)

'Why is it every time you see a shark you have to do the Cello music Jaws theme...can't you just move on FFS"

SMELLYMIKE View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Apple rule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMELLYMIKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2012 at 12:00pm
Is that Mrs c the one that looks like Miss Cruz
The Admiral View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Admiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2012 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

80's music rules and always will - that's a fact.

Not old enough to show 70's characteristics but I'm currently wearing some footwear approx. 10 years old and an adidas t shirt that belongs in the 80's.

I also haven't taken to facebook or twitter and talk to people in work instead of emailing them which suggests I've got potential to become stuck in the 80's and 90's for a considerable time.

I'm with you all the way on that, people on Facebook and Twitter are Saddos in my book.
Don't forget three twitters make a TW@T, for God's sake talk to each other. the oldest form of communication
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2012 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by SMELLYMIKE SMELLYMIKE wrote:

Is that Mrs c the one that looks like Miss Cruz

Oh, you believed me on that then.
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2012 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by lofty evans lofty evans wrote:

I was a Sea Cadet at TS Echo at the age of 10, they let me join early cos i was pretty tall and my mam wanted me to do something positive, instead of playing football and getting into trouble all the time. Great place the Sea Cadets, spent four years at the place with real Seamen who were giving something back into the community. Lt Ward a huge smiling guy was the Commanding Officer and a Petty Officer North with a huge beard, he was a brilliant laugh and a real old seadog.
Used to spend weekends here and there in various locations all over Britian and i became an expert rower, dinghy and sail boat. Was part of the guard group who would march for Remembrance day in Llanelli and be on parade with our rifles and white webbing and bayonets.
We would be there all morning on parade and head of the march as the Senior service. Brilliant really, 11 and 12 and 13 year old boys being allowed into the British Legion after the parade and ceremony at the war memorial.
Having some sips of shandy and scoff and the old war veterans telling you their stories.
You would train for weeks for the March, every Monday and Friday and catch the bus down from Gorsfach in Dafen to TS Echo.
Catch the 10.00 bus home from outside the Glen and as you were in uniform you would always get the remarks and banter. Saw some bloody sights outside the Glen on a Friday waiting for the bus mind.
Went to RAF Lossiemouth in Elgin Scotland for two weeks when i was 11, went with Gareth Beynon all the way by train. Caught the train from Llanelli to London and then from there all the way up to Scotland. Pretty daunting for a young boy, but off we went, spoilt rotten up there at the airbase. Shackleton reconnaissance planes and Phantoms were amazing to see and hear taking off. Great times really but it was always superb pulling into Llanelly train station and coming home and that was in the early 70's.

After that photo last night, sailors? really? WinkLOL

Great nostalgia there though chief.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
bazlewis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bazlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2012 at 2:03pm
Tim Opolis have you heard the saying (hitting the nail on the head). Thats Smelly and Lofty you have upset in the last 2 days.
Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2012 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by bazlewis bazlewis wrote:

Tim Opolis have you heard the saying (hitting the nail on the head). Thats Smelly and Lofty you have upset in the last 2 days.

I'm sure they can see the funny side of it Baz. Big smile
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
Abbey View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abbey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2012 at 4:02pm
Ah, the 70s.

Bruce Forsyth on prime time Saturday night TV
The Tories making massive cuts
Racism in football
Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy in all the papers

......you can see where I'm going with this.....

jeremy windell View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy windell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2012 at 10:08pm
Thing i miss most about the 70s and 80s are the summer blockbusters in the cinema, that bloke with the red shirt in the cinema, and white dog shit.
Go ahead..........Take those banana's
bazlewis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bazlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2012 at 10:27pm
I remember the music and clothes styles of the 70's so well, the trips all over the country to Northern Soul gigs while I was in my early 20's. This friday I will be dropping in to a local Northern Soul disco nearing 60 I have a feeling I may have slowed down a bit. The uppers have now been replaced by diabetic tablets but I am still looking forward to it no end.
Ian Lewis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2012 at 10:29pm
First day in Gwendraeth GS and a boy comes up to me and says; Your dad taught my mum in school, we were both 11 yrs old first formers and I couldn't comprehend how that could be, but we're still the best of friends to this day, 40 years on, where has the time gone?
It's not always about where you end up, it's about how you get there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic