Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > ARE YOU BLIND REF.... OR ARE WE WRONG ???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tackling a man 'without the ball'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tackling a man 'without the ball'
    Posted: 13 October 2014 at 5:09pm
Many of us have criticised ref Leighton Hodges for the penalty awarded last night, when Eli Walker went to kick the ball and was tackled in the brief moment when the ball had left his hand, but had not yet reached his foot.

It looked absurd, and the TV pundits were not impressed either.

Are we right - or does Mr Hodges have a point?
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Many of us have criticised ref Leighton Hodges for the penalty awarded last night, when Eli Walker went to kick the ball and was tackled in the brief moment when the ball had left his hand, but had not yet reached his foot.

It looked absurd, and the TV pundits were not impressed either.

Are we right - or does Mr Hodges have a point?

It's a grey area & having not seen the incident, I can't comment on the legalities, I will have a look over the next day or so then give my view !

& don't forget, that the pundit's are not always as clued up on the law as they'd let you believe ! Wink Ask Jiffy if you see him about his run in with the Referee's Dep't of the WRU after the last world cup !Confused

Edited by scarletman - 13 October 2014 at 5:27pm
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
lab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 7:15pm
I thought that the player is still in possession of the ball when attempting a kick even though it has left his hand ?
lan ar bar,S10
scarletman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Married with Kids - Close to Bankruptcy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2014 at 10:07am
Originally posted by lab lab wrote:

I thought that the player is still in possession of the ball when attempting a kick even though it has left his hand ?

That is true ! The same way that a drop goal is not a knock on until after it has been missed by the kickers boot !
Herman Tours ... Still the best way to travel !
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2014 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by scarletman scarletman wrote:

Originally posted by lab lab wrote:

That is true ! The same way that a drop goal is not a knock on until after it has been missed by the kickers boot !

In that case, the ref was definitely wrong!

Take your point about the pundits, though...
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic