Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team for Australia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2021 at 11:33am
12 hr flight with concussion symptoms not great tbh. Wales are getting bit on the backside for allowing so many nwq tight heads to play for the regions. At least the aussie scrum isn’t upto much either at the moment, isn’t there a wq prop at sarries? Call him up

Edited by RR1972 - 17 November 2021 at 11:33am
Sponsored Links

roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2021 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Coch Coch wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by gaffer gaffer wrote:

Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

Ok I’ll bite. Why does everyone think Carre is so rubbish?

I don’t think he’s brilliant but he’s like 23 years old and I don’t understand why he gets so heat on here (and elsewhere?) 

For example, on Sunday v Fiji - he made 3 tackles, missed 1 and had 3 runs for 0 mtrs. Add to that he's a deckchair in every scrum.. A high impact player...

For a player who is talked of as being good in the loose those are pretty telling stats. 

⬆️This is why we think Carre is rubbish. It's not the first time either, yet he still get's another go. Think of all the promising young players who've been permanently dropped after stats like that. Compare that with Wyn's 10 tackles in 25 minutes...yet he's judged to be the unfit one!
In a way, I'd like to see Carre and Wyn on the field at the same time but then I think of scrumtime ...
Let's hope Wyn gets back to us in one piece

Makes you wonder how closely these coaches look at the stats?
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2021 at 12:11pm
15 Liam Williams (Scarlets); 14 Louis Rees-Zammit (Gloucester Rugby), 13 Nick Tompkins (Saracens),  12 Uilisi Halaholo (Cardiff Rugby), 11 Josh Adams (Cardiff Rugby); 10 Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints),  9 Tomos Williams (Cardiff Rugby); 1 Wyn Jones (Scarlets), 2 Ryan Elias (Scarlets), 3 Tomas Francis (Ospreys), 4 Adam Beard (Ospreys), 5 Seb Davies (Cardiff Rugby), 6 Ellis Jenkins (Cardiff Rugby – captain), 7 Taine Basham (Dragons), 8 Aaron Wainwright (Dragons)Replacements; 16 Elliot Dee (Dragons), 17 Gareth Thomas (Ospreys), 18 Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Rugby), 19 Ben Carter (Dragons), 20 Christ Tshiunza (Exeter Chiefs), 21 Gareth Davies (Scarlets), 22 Rhys Priestland (Cardiff Rugby), 23 Johnny McNicholl (Scarlets).

That pack should be enough to get on top in the scrums.
Joshua24:15
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2021 at 12:44pm
Pivac says Francis still needs to see an independent consultant to be passed fit. May still mean Dillon Lewis at tight-head, and Wyn Jones covering.
totallybiasedscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote totallybiasedscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2021 at 12:49pm
Pivac will be hoping for some spark from the centres he's chosen. I wonder if Priestland would be a better choice at OH.
"If it's on, we back our skills and our confidence ... We've got some great players, play a good brand and we enjoy doing it." Ken Owens
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2021 at 2:00pm
Again I am left confused by Pivac's selections in some positions. Carre goes from starter to nowhere; nobody is ever going to convince me that Tompkins is a better 13 than Foxy even allowing for his drop off in performance. As Adams is fit why not start him at 13 as clearly they want to try him out with a view to 2023.

Some good news for us Scarlets supporters I guess in that the only one of our ten squad members who has seen a lot of action is Ryan so the remaining fit 8 ( Ken out I guess) fingers crossed for Saturday of course should be en route to Durban next week. 
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2021 at 2:12pm
Australia are there for the taking. I predict Wales 17 Australia 20. 

What can I say, I'm a realist. 
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2021 at 4:26pm
A lot hinges on our props being fit...If they are and they make it to thehour mark,we can and should win this. Back 3 looks dangerous, back row looks quick and competitive at the breakdown Id have sheedy on the bench ahead  of priestland and willis with foxy with willis tomp is an interesting experiment , have their started together before?
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2021 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

A lot hinges on our props being fit...If they are and they make it to thehour mark,we can and should win this. Back 3 looks dangerous, back row looks quick and competitive at the breakdown Id have sheedy on the bench ahead  of priestland and willis with foxy with willis tomp is an interesting experiment , have their started together before?

Back 3 is dangerous Roy but are our 10/12/13 capable of getting it to them? Don't see what Sheedy brings to the table frankly & I do not see him featuring in the 6 nations unless there are injuries. Priestland is, for me, by far the best bet to play the way Pivac says he wants to. Australia without Cooper, Kerevi & now Hooper look ready for the taking but I am not at all convinced that we have a real gameplan to exploit them. I hope I am proven wrong. 
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2021 at 9:34pm

Again I am left confused by Pivac's selections in some positions. Carre goes from starter to nowhere; nobody is ever going to convince me that Tompkins is a better 13 than Foxy even allowing for his drop off in performance. As Adams is fit why not start him at 13 as clearly they want to try him out with a view to 2023.

Some good news for us Scarlets supporters I guess in that the only one of our ten squad members who has seen a lot of action is Ryan so the remaining fit 8 ( Ken out I guess) fingers crossed for Saturday of course should be en route to Durban next week. 

He is building depth, he’s trying to get minutes up in positions so that wales are less vulnerable to inevitable injury crisis come World Cup

With Adams for example, I don’t think Pivac sees him as a 13, but he does see him as an option at 13 if there’s injuries, or a red card in a game to whoever’s playing 13 etc. 

He just wanted to use that game to give him some experience in that position. Likewise with Carre, I don’t think he thinks he’s his best loose head, but he’s going to be around in 2 years and if injuries come he needs to have played some minutes at the top level

Edited by dyniol53 - 18 November 2021 at 9:52pm
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2021 at 8:04am
Originally posted by dyniol53 dyniol53 wrote:

He is building depth, he’s trying to get minutes up in positions so that wales are less vulnerable to inevitable injury crisis come World Cup

With Adams for example, I don’t think Pivac sees him as a 13, but he does see him as an option at 13 if there’s injuries, or a red card in a game to whoever’s playing 13 etc. 

He just wanted to use that game to give him some experience in that position. Likewise with Carre, I don’t think he thinks he’s his best loose head, but he’s going to be around in 2 years and if injuries come he needs to have played some minutes at the top level

Dyniol I understand the principle of experimentation during non tournament periods and we won't see our best fit 23 until the 6 nations but there are some pretty clear examples of confused thinking. Carre, currently is not even our 4th/5th best LH & those ahead of him - Wyn, Nicky Smith, Gareth Thomas, Rhodri Jones & our own Rob Evans will all be around for 2023. Sheedy & Tompkins, for me, are vanity projects of Pivac's because, for reasons only known to Pivac, he seems to value players playing across the bridge more than those playing in Wales despite the restrictions in training time. 

Last Autumn was a collection of poor performances/results followed by a successful tournament. Now there are those that suggest Wales got lucky during the 6 nations but you cannot really argue with the results. If we get the same return from next season's tournament then I will doff my cap to the coaches. From what I have seen this Autumn if we get within 20 points of Ireland in Dublin first up I will be pleasantly surprised. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2021 at 8:44am
Pivac has had no option than to experiment with the injuries he has had and the schedule foisted on him by WRU.
Compare that to the Irish very few if any injuries and a far easier schedule. 
Come the six nations we hopefully will have a load of players coming back in top fitness and raring to go.
People call him lucky for last years six nations yet in the Autumn he has had players breaking down like never before. He has had luck unfortunately most of it is really bad.

Edited by Why - 19 November 2021 at 8:44am
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2021 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Pivac has had no option than to experiment with the injuries he has had and the schedule foisted on him by WRU.
Come the six nations we hopefully will have a load of players coming back in top fitness and raring to go.
People call him lucky for last years six nations yet in the Autumn he has had players breaking down like never before. He has had luck unfortunately most of it is really bad.

A lot of what you say is spot on why with regard to forced experimentation. However he hasn't been forced to select Carre & Dillon Lewis ahead of, in my opinion of course, more worthy players such as Nicky Smith & our own Rob & Samson. Equally Sheedy & Tompkins ahead of Priestland, Anscombe, Jarrod Evans, Scott, Foxy, Johnny Williams & Owen Watkin. For me these are glaring mistakes in selection. Hopefully he will have most of his first choice team available for the 6 nations :-

15. Liam 14. Adams 13. North 12. Halaholo 11. LRZ 10. Biggar 9. Tomas
1. Wyn 2. Ken/Ryan 3. Francis 4. Beard 5. Rowlands 6. Jenkins/Moriarty 7. Tipuric 8. Faletau

16. Ken/Ryan 17. Thomas 18. Samson 19. Carter 20 Jenkins/Moriarty/Wainwright 21. Cawdor 22. Anscombe 23. McNichol.

Tellingly of that 23 only 4/5 were not available for him to select for tomorrow so we can hardly be talking of "decimation from injury " really. Guys like AWJ & Navidi are out for most if not all of the tournament. If Patchell & Anscombe can bank some serious minutes in the run up to the 6 nations I see them with Biggar forming our pool of tens. 

I may be being over pessimistic due to the quality of rugby offered by team Wales this Autumn but I cannot see that team above competing with Ireland & England away. I sincerely hope I am proved totally wrong. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2021 at 9:38am

Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

A lot of what you say is spot on why with regard to forced experimentation. However he hasn't been forced to select Carre & Dillon Lewis ahead of, in my opinion of course, more worthy players such as Nicky Smith & our own Rob & Samson. Equally Sheedy & Tompkins ahead of Priestland, Anscombe, Jarrod Evans, Scott, Foxy, Johnny Williams & Owen Watkin. For me these are glaring mistakes in selection. Hopefully he will have most of his first choice team available for the 6 nations :-

15. Liam 14. Adams 13. North 12. Halaholo 11. LRZ 10. Biggar 9. Tomas
1. Wyn 2. Ken/Ryan 3. Francis 4. Beard 5. Rowlands 6. Jenkins/Moriarty 7. Tipuric 8. Faletau

16. Ken/Ryan 17. Thomas 18. Samson 19. Carter 20 Jenkins/Moriarty/Wainwright 21. Cawdor 22. Anscombe 23. McNichol.

Tellingly of that 23 only 4/5 were not available for him to select for tomorrow so we can hardly be talking of "decimation from injury " really. Guys like AWJ & Navidi are out for most if not all of the tournament. If Patchell & Anscombe can bank some serious minutes in the run up to the 6 nations I see them with Biggar forming our pool of tens. 

I may be being over pessimistic due to the quality of rugby offered by team Wales this Autumn but I cannot see that team above competing with Ireland & England away. I sincerely hope I am proved totally wrong. 

I agree but I do wonder if he has selected the front row to have a good look at them in nothing matches. I fully expect to see Rob & Sansom back in the fold in the 6 nations time.

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2021 at 12:51pm
I don’t think he likes rob , he didnt play him in the summer either did he?
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2021 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

I don’t think he likes rob , he didnt play him in the summer either did he?

No he didn't but Rob does seemed to have reigned it in a little in terms of his chopsiness, so he might stand a chance if he keeps his mouth shut & works hard.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic