Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team for England? everyone fit so far

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2022 at 2:15am
Hes only played 7 times so Im not sure if we can draw that conclusion yet
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

Sosban89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2022 at 12:19pm
Squads announced.

Wales: L Williams; Cuthbert, Watkin, Tompkins, Adams; Biggar (capt), T Williams; W Jones, Elias, Francis, Rowlands, Beard, Moriarty, Basham, Faletau.

Replacements: Lake, G Thomas, Brown, S Davies, Morgan, Hardy, Anscombe, J Davies.

England team to face Wales: Steward; Malins, Slade, Tuilagi, Nowell; Smith, Randall; Genge, Cowan-Dickie, Sinckler, Ewels, Itoje, Lawes (Capt), Curry, Dombrandt.

Replacements: George, Marler, Stuart, Isiekwe, Simmonds, Youngs, Ford, Daly.

All looks very uninspiring to me. You'd imagine if Tuilagi is back to full fitness he could run riot against that centre partnership. 

Edited by Sosban89 - 24 February 2022 at 12:20pm
Jones2004 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2022 at 1:13pm
I thought both Watkins and Tompkins had good games last time out so both deserved their place again. I know LRZ hasn’t been playing particularly well but having Cuthbert in the team above him seems a really weird decision. Hardy had a shocker when playing for us last week so how he’s in the squad I don’t know. I hope Faletau is up to full fitness as if he is I really like the look of the back row. Unfortunately even with a good back row our squad is nowhere near theirs so I can’t see anything other than a 10-15 point loss. 
Scrletsfan32x View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrletsfan32x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2022 at 1:17pm
Hardy and Cuthbert are a big no no for me. Hardy is not playing well and Cuthbert has lost a yard of pace and is not the attacking threat he once was. Our pack looks weak and our centres are going to be our downfall. I can’t understand why Pivac doesn’t pick Halaholo he’s our best centre we have.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2022 at 1:29pm
Hardy and anscombe have been poor all season odd selections on form 
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2022 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Could be a cunning plan to make England complacent.  Can't see any other logic to the selection.  Has Cawdor upset the coaches?, he's not been given a chance. 
Keep the faith
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2022 at 2:57pm
LRZ dropped for cuthbert , a winger who has scored only 7 tries in 4 years,  is madness
Cuthbert had a solid enough game last week but hes nowhere near the threat LRZ is

Dropping gareth davies and sheedy for anscombe who has barley played in 2 yrs and out of form hardy is bizarre.

Centres Im not overly bothered as willis hasnt played and foxy well maybe he could have started but at least hes benching

faletau has taken a few weeks to get back to his best, in the past when overcoming injuries, but worth a gamble , the man is world class
The rest is a no brainer

I think our front 5 is solid, the main weakness is ball carrying, hopefully this back row will alleviate that and will offer dynamism at the breakdown and harass marcus smith throughout. Morgan will be used off the bench too.

The LRZ brainfart will cost us dear, having the fastest player on the planet man marked gives space to those players inside him, weve lost our main weapon for a man whose glory days appear long gone. Bizarre.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2022 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Could be a cunning plan to make England complacent.  Can't see any other logic to the selection.  Has Cawdor upset the coaches?, he's not been given a chance. 

cawdors ongoing demise is a totaly mystery to me, this is a man with 15 test tries the quickest scrum half, tremendous defensive speed, always a threat, big match temeprament, yet discarded again without even a chance 
Seagultaf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seagultaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2022 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

cawdors ongoing demise is a totaly mystery to me, this is a man with 15 test tries the quickest scrum half, tremendous defensive speed, always a threat, big match temeprament, yet discarded again without even a chance 

This is mystery for me also. Tomos has been poor, hesitant and short delivery, dodgy defence and no threat with the ball in hand. OK he was better against Scotland but still missed tackles and made no breaks. Cawdor however has looked very sharp when he has come off the bench, particularly against Australia and Ireland. Yet against Scotland, a team he has historically played really well against he was the only unused sub!
Is he nursing an injury or has he upset the coaches? I would not be surprised at the latter, because its a real mystery why he isnt getting any gametime.
hoppy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2022 at 8:03pm
Squad update | Manu Tuilagi is out of this weekend's match against Wales. Joe Marchant has been recalled and will train with the squad tomorrow. An updated team will be confirmed on match day.
gaffer View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2022 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by hoppy hoppy wrote:

Squad update | Manu Tuilagi is out of this weekend's match against Wales. Joe Marchant has been recalled and will train with the squad tomorrow. An updated team will be confirmed on match day.

That evens things up a little. 
Can't agree with the Hardy/Anscombe selections on the bench - Hardy because he's not good enough by a country mile and Anscombe because of lack of game time.

Other than that we could give them a game for 60 mins - ref will kill us in the end (he's weak).

What's going on?
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2022 at 1:11pm
Tuilagi's injury - the latest in a long line - must be a relief to the Wales camp... he is the only English player who would almost certainly have physically bested his opposite number.

That's not to say that it won't happen, but if the Welsh boys stand up and don't take a backward step, I don't see any other position where 'we' would almost inevitably lose the physical battle... in other positions, it'll depend more on what performance the players can produce on the day.

Like others, I'm surprised Cawdor is not even in the 23... he's able to score tries from distance, and his speed could have been used to unnerve the normally excellent Smith at 10... who will pressure him now?
The dropping of LRZ is also a debatable decision, though he hasn't been at his best in this year's 6N so far, maybe because of an ankle injury... Adams was always going back in to the 15, and fair play to Cuthbert - he put himself about v Scotland, though he looks short of pace.

Anscombe rather than Sheedy as bench 10 looks risky - he's seemed to avoid contact (understandably) since coming back from injury, so not reassuring if he has to come on for Biggar... more of an attacking threat than Sheedy, I suppose.

Faletau is another iffy one - I'd have kept him on the bench and started Jac Morgan again... surely, he can't be fit after only 2 games or less... but a great player, of course.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2022 at 2:17pm
This is not a great English side by any stretch of the imagination but we also not great going to be close.
Will say about time players like Beard and Tomos Williams live up to the hype 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2022 at 11:15am
Cawdor’s absence from the 23 is completely baffling.  Tomas Williams has been poor throughout the last 2 matches.  He plays like he’s a rabbit caught in the headlights, often taking the wrong options in attack or being to hesitant, also he offers absolutely nothing in defence - in fact he’s a major liability in defence.
Contrast that to Cawdor’s game (although he’s not been at his best this season), he’s very good defensively, his pace off the defensive line would make Marcus Smith (someone I really enjoy watching) a real headache, his pace has also seen him scoring many tries for Wales and the Scarlets from interceptions.
He’s also got a better pass the Tomos Williams and plays more heads up rugby.
The dropping of LRZ is completely mind boggling, the way Wales have played in the last 2 games, with our complete lack of creativity in the back line (2games, 1 interception try and 1 try from a driving lineout) he’s the only person capable of creating something out of nothing and getting fans out of their chairs/on their feet.
Cuthburt is never going to do that, he’s got to be one of the fortunate players in the 6 nations at the moment.
I can see this afternoon being a very difficult watch, but I would be happy to be proven wrong.
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2022 at 11:29am
This afternoon is going to be the worst £120 I’ve ever spent 😬

70 people down from my rugby club tho, so hopefully a good day whatever the result. 
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2022 at 3:50pm
The irony is I dont think this england side is particulary great nor is it a settled side....But were in transition too and gone back into our shell...hopefully we can be competitive at least and silence than darn american chariot song
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic