Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > CHAT BOARD
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Politics Thread.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login


The Politics Thread.

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 86>
Author
Message
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Politics Thread.
    Posted: 18 February 2023 at 7:53am
We have a number of threads about specific political stuff where we're often going off topic. I thought it might be a good idea to have a general thread where we can brawl *cough* discuss political stuff that comes up from day to day. Enter at your own risk LOL
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2023 at 7:59am
Anyways, first up is an interesting project I've seen at www.demos.co.uk - otherwise known as "The Good Web project". It's a response to the way in which disinformation permeates the web and skews public discourse. Here's their proposal: https://demos.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/Good-web-1.pdf


I'm not sure if fellow SF'ers have heard of Mastadon (a community run based alternative to Twitter) but that's the kind of model that fits this description reasonably well.
Back to Top
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 19 September 2022
Location: North pole
Status: Offline
Points: 3959
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2023 at 8:22am
I believe certain people , especially the far right inclined individuals have taken a steal on this ....The more centrist person have not really taken advantage of the modern age of cyberspace... It was interesting this week that it turned out the Israel had been responsible with interfering in other countries election and that north Korea had been responsible for the collapse and embezzlement of crypto coin.
Mastodon is a step in the right direction as there is no central data base of held info , by having servers dispersed around the world I presume that it is difficult to control everything people hear and see ....but is that true or am I being dillusional and nieve 
Back to Top
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2023 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

I believe certain people , especially the far right inclined individuals have taken a steal on this ....The more centrist person have not really taken advantage of the modern age of cyberspace... It was interesting this week that it turned out the Israel had been responsible with interfering in other countries election and that north Korea had been responsible for the collapse and embezzlement of crypto coin.
Mastodon is a step in the right direction as there is no central data base of held info , by having servers dispersed around the world I presume that it is difficult to control everything people hear and see ....but is that true or am I being dillusional and nieve 

I think it's not bad but it's still small despite the recent growth. The Web is one of those things that is like weapons. You can only regulate via international agreement and cooperation. But one bad actor can undermine any progress on that front. Anonymity is at the heart of this. It's a tough one. Anonymity is essential for those living under oppressive regimes. But in democratic countries it allows for nasty online behaviour and the spread of bots. I like what the Good Web Project says about having a way of verifying you are who you say you are online - particularly for any accounts with a political purpose. When I was a teenager, I recall having lessons about the reliability of the sources of information we used. Having a means of verifying political accounts/sites would go a long way to help discern what bias and/or validity the content published by them has.
Back to Top
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 19 September 2022
Location: North pole
Status: Offline
Points: 3959
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2023 at 10:57pm
To a point , the real major issue is when the miss information is populated by states , who can operate outside international control like NK and Russia or states with major control over big players like the control that Israel has over America and inturn the control that America has over Europe 
Back to Top
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2023 at 11:07pm
I'm not sure Israel exerts control over the US - a powerful lobby group certainly. Certainly true that Europe won't even sneeze (in terms of geopolitics) unless the US is on board. Certainly true that we have bad actors out there such as Russia ... but then there are plenty of misinformation merchants hosted by the West - Breitbart, Alex Jones, Guido Fawkes etc. State vs Capital in a very simplistic sense.
Back to Top
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 19 September 2022
Location: North pole
Status: Offline
Points: 3959
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2023 at 11:25pm
I personally believe that Israel is a major player in the world order , strategically in a very volatile part of the world , yet friends with Saudi ...They are a very technically astute country ...but without the backing of American money none of their international power would exist .....Things have changed in the last 6 to 20 years , where players on the far right seem to all be very coordinated right across the globe 
Back to Top
Kentexile View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 24 August 2013
Location: Kent
Status: Offline
Points: 627
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2023 at 11:27pm
When I was a student decades ago  a guy on my course was a mature student who had served in the navy and was badly injured in the Suez crisis. He realised then that most UK mainstream news outlets lacked something as they were reporting no British casualties when his friends had been killed and he had loads of tubes sticking out of him in a hospital bed .He always stressed the importance of checking information across as many national and international sources as possible to get to something close to the truth.The irony now is we have access to more information than ever before but the way news and other feeds work is they provide a  stream of information which accords with the recipients declared interests and just reinforces their view of the world however narrow that may be.
Back to Top
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 19 September 2022
Location: North pole
Status: Offline
Points: 3959
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2023 at 11:30pm
1984 and Oceania comes to mind 
Back to Top
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2023 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by Kentexile Kentexile wrote:

When I was a student decades ago  a guy on my course was a mature student who had served in the navy and was badly injured in the Suez crisis. He realised then that most UK mainstream news outlets lacked something as they were reporting no British casualties when his friends had been killed and he had loads of tubes sticking out of him in a hospital bed .He always stressed the importance of checking information across as many national and international sources as possible to get to something close to the truth.The irony now is we have access to more information than ever before but the way news and other feeds work is they provide a  stream of information which accords with the recipients declared interests and just reinforces their view of the world however narrow that may be.

Massive problem - confirmation bias.
Back to Top
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2023 at 12:00am
Originally posted by Oracle Oracle wrote:

I personally believe that Israel is a major player in the world order , strategically in a very volatile part of the world , yet friends with Saudi ...They are a very technically astute country ...but without the backing of American money none of their international power would exist .....Things have changed in the last 6 to 20 years , where players on the far right seem to all be very coordinated right across the globe 

A key part of US geopolitical strategy - agree with that, certainly. The extreme right wing government formed there recently is hugely concerning.
Back to Top
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2023 at 12:01am
Back to Top
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 06 August 2005
Location: Tycoch
Status: Offline
Points: 13287
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2023 at 11:40am
Only reading brief excerpts on a western-biased source admittedly, but what on earth is Putin on about? Honestly, read some of the things he is saying and it's deranged. He is literally accusing the west of starting the war amongst some frankly weird other things. It's so hard to imagine a peaceful resolution in Ukraine with him in charge of Russia, which is so depressing. And then he pulls out of a nuclear arms treaty with the US which is even more worrying.
Back to Top
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler
Avatar

Joined: 20 September 2007
Location: Gorseinon
Status: Offline
Points: 53600
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2023 at 11:56am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Only reading brief excerpts on a western-biased source admittedly, but what on earth is Putin on about? Honestly, read some of the things he is saying and it's deranged. He is literally accusing the west of starting the war amongst some frankly weird other things. It's so hard to imagine a peaceful resolution in Ukraine with him in charge of Russia, which is so depressing. And then he pulls out of a nuclear arms treaty with the US which is even more worrying.

He is Trumpesq living on another planet..the audience looked bored and fed up tbh.


In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Back to Top
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2023 at 12:34pm
I wonder how long he can hold on to power as the casualties mount?
Back to Top
Oracle View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Avatar

Joined: 19 September 2022
Location: North pole
Status: Offline
Points: 3959
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2023 at 12:49pm
https://twitter.com/CounsellingSam/status/1627361386429878273?t=Yf5T-O6aCGS0QuPx7dV79w&s=19

I wonder what caused this Shocked
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 86>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.109 seconds.