Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The positives of a merger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 7:52pm
Looking at this from a rugby perspective and not a financial perspective, there are 13 British Lions currently playing rugby that have come from either the Ospreys or Scarlets region.  Goodness knows how many Welsh internationals as well.  How could one team in the West cater for so may players.  It would be one heck of a team but how to keep so many players actually playing?

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 05 May 2022 at 7:53pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 8:04pm
It's unlikely that the PRB will vote for this. It seems like some people at the union just want to starve us into submission again.
We're still still here!
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

Looking at this from a rugby perspective and not a financial perspective, there are 13 British Lions currently playing rugby that have come from either the Ospreys or Scarlets region.  Goodness knows how many Welsh internationals as well.  How could one team in the West cater for so may players.  It would be one heck of a team but how to keep so many players actually playing?
wales best 23 would likely  feature liam  adams north watkin foxy biggar  cawdor wyn g thomas ken lake lee awj beard tupruc and morgan. All of whom come from our or the ospreys pathway. Meanwhile the drags have felatau and possibly brown/basham the blues have naividi (bridgebd boy) t williams  d lewis (valley boys) and lrz (although been at glous for years) pretty clear where the weak links are
SVD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SVD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 9:11pm
Before I start, I really, really hope I don’t offend any long term Scarlets who are like me, I honestly don’t mean to, but I need to get this off my chest. I am now 66 years old and my father (brought up in Sandy Road) took me to Stradey as a very, very little girl. Like many of you I was at the game when we beat the All Blacks (and have a photo to prove it) and Australia too. My happiest childhood memories are with the Scarlets, if we merge with any team, my last season.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 9:16pm
At least Llanelli will get more people at their games. 
SVD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 9:22pm
…and? Don’t understand
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by SVD SVD wrote:

…and? Don’t understand

Everyone goes on about rugby at different levels yet no one goes to watch Llanelli. It’s hypocritical. 
SVD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 7:45am
I’m ashamed to say that hadn’t even occurred to me. I used to go and watch Llanelli a lot until my nephew started playing and I started going to watch him on a Saturday afternoon, so yes, that might be a knock on effect if this happens.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 8:00am
Count me out if this happens 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
pillory View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pillory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 9:48am
If Skywalker would only join Vader, the Dark Side would have ample resources to dominate for years to come...
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 10:54am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

…and? Don’t understand

Everyone goes on about rugby at different levels yet no one goes to watch Llanelli. It’s hypocritical. 

A super West Wales club based in Pemberton  winning cups and doing well in Europe every year ….is that really so awful compared to being plucky losers at home and abroad? 🤔 I can only dream but I certainly would not sulk off with my ball .  A vibrant strong 

Also a Llanelli Rfc team riding high in the league and drawing a 1500 gate at Steboneath would be so great 🤔
We can only wait and hope this is sorted asap 

Edited by reesytheexile - 06 May 2022 at 10:59am
"I'd rather have been a judge than a miner.Being a miner,as soon as you are too old and tired and sick and stupid to do the job properly,you have to go.The very opposite applies with judges!"P.Cook
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 10:58am
I watched a few rfc games always enjoy them, plus you often get to see players of yesteryear there even more poignant today
Dic Penderyn View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dic Penderyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 11:55am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

…and? Don’t understand

A super West Wales club based in Pemberton  winning cups and doing well in Europe every year ….is that really so awful compared to being plucky losers at home and abroad? 🤔 I can only dream but I certainly would not sulk off with my ball .  A vibrant strong 

Also a Llanelli Rfc team riding high in the league and drawing a 1500 gate at Steboneath would be so great 🤔
We can only wait and hope this is sorted asap 

Declare your interest!!

No doubt suiting some and the subject of a few hushed conversations in the Lounge.
Some people should broaden their understanding of how capitalism works.It might not fit in on the back of the fag packet,but thete's more money and a bigger market in Swansea Bay.You can thump the tub all you want,but you'll have a job to ger people to pay to watch it.
And of course,it will represent another blow to the town.Llanelli has suffered enough.

Edited by Dic Penderyn - 06 May 2022 at 11:57am
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 1:48pm
There are none
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
lofty evans View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lofty evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 2:30pm
It's all wrong....merging or destroying a team is all completely wrong. 
I'm not a jack ...im a born and raised turk from llanelli who followed his town club all his life.
I'm sure the Jack's feel exactly the same ....its just utter crap.

Get rid of Cardiff or useless poo hole Newport....or even better the gravy train WRU and the pint fuelled extravaganza of non rugby fannies that attend the National game jamboree in there zillions...but never attend real games. The WRU have destroyed rugby culture in Wales...once a vibrant brilliant culture of travelling all over the country.....where the only game that really mattered was Llanelli verses the Jack's at St Helens.....Bridgend, Ebbw Vale, Pontypridd, bloody Neath and that looney shed ....all down the pan and I've never visited those areas again since the regions were formed to supposedly better the Welsh games chance of winning the European Cup.......well we came pretty bloody close as a Town entity in sleepy West Wales as a proud club taking on the wealthier City clubs all over the UK....on our own not banded together with anyone.
The WRU instead of sharing the wealth instead funded their ridiculous life styles and own worth.....a long time ago I used to enjoy Wales International days...the crowds then were rugby followers who you could chat with about your teams and it was a rugby event.....the crowds are a farce, they don't know any rugby songs and just sing Hymns and Arias ffs relentlessly in their booze fuelled haze. Stuff that the WRU have relentlessly screwed what was a vibrant proud great rugby culture and it was bloody amazing.  If you experienced it you know what I'm talking about....coaches and coaches of supporters up and down the M4 corridor, scarfs hanging out of windows etc etc etc etc.....
Merger of the biggest and only true battle of Turks verses Jack's was the only true Derby in Welsh Rugby...Cardiff and Newport what a farce....Swansea football verses Cardiff football is a true Derby but Cardiff....overated hype.....remember the Swansea v Llanelli semi final at Cardiff when Moonie was targeted....Real derbies and intense battles......spine tingling stuff.

Keep Scarlets and the Os as true clubs and disband Cardiff and Newport ...no loss or even better disband the WRU and get Wil Chips in charge. He has a brain the WRU are brainless jerks with fat arses and pot bellied thoughts. 
The clubs didn't start or create this mess....the Goverance or correctly non Governance....and Welsh team selection is another laugh but that's a different topic.

Edited by lofty evans - 06 May 2022 at 3:25pm
In 1972, Roy Bergiers scored that try and said "that was for you lofty"

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 3:00pm
Brilliant post Lofty totally agree with you
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic