Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the Welsh ten debate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the Welsh ten debate
    Posted: 02 October 2012 at 1:57pm
Who has been the best Welsh ten in your opinion ?

Put them in order ??

Here is my list for what its worth

(1) Phil Bennett
(2) Barry John
(3) Jonathan Davies
(4) Cliff Morgan
(5) David Watkins
(6) Gareth Davies
(7) Stephen Jones
(8) Neil Jenkins
(9) John Bevan
(10) Paul Turner
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Sponsored Links

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2012 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by LLANDRE LLANDRE wrote:

(10) Paul Turner

roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2012 at 4:56pm
Im guessing a bit as all Ive seen is old clips of the great cliff , he was fly half when we last beat the all blacks and in clips he looked sensational for the lions too, whereas jiffy went north early and was an all time leage great, so hard to judge too.

(1) Phil Bennett
(2) Barry John
(3) Jonathan Davies
(4) Cliff Morgan
(5) David Watkins
(6) Stephen Jones
(7) Neil Jenkins
(8) John Bevan
(9) James Hook
(10) Gareth Davies
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Turkish Fez View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkish Fez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2012 at 8:02pm
As good as a player as he was at the time when you take into account he was Lion all be it at fullback because of his kicking but if Neil Jenkins was starting off now I'm not sure he would even get to play at Regional level due to his lack of athletisism. Or am I being unfair?
Andy 'Fatty' Goode has made a living out of it in England France SA and still playing in the Aviva now/
We all had Doctor's papers!
wetweatherwinger View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetweatherwinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2012 at 8:14pm
Jiffy number one!
Jonesyboy1000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesyboy1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2012 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Im guessing a bit as all Ive seen is old clips of the great cliff , he was fly half when we last beat the all blacks and in clips he looked sensational for the lions too, whereas jiffy went north early and was an all time leage great, so hard to judge too.

(1) Phil Bennett
(2) Barry John
(3) Jonathan Davies
(4) Cliff Morgan
(5) David Watkins
(6) Stephen Jones
(7) Neil Jenkins
(8) John Bevan
(9) James Hook
(10) Gareth Davies

All agreed until (8)

8 James Hook
9 Mark Ring (on his day, of course - Twickenham circa 1988? )
10 John Bevan

It may have been an urban myth, but did Stuart Barnes make the bench for Wales and not get capped? Then went to play for England after being a successful Wales Schoolboy. There was also another urban myth that Tony Ward was born in Cefneithin, but all the records say Dublin. I know it used to wind my Irish mates up a lot, though, if you suggested it.

Two sides referee!
wetweatherwinger View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetweatherwinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2012 at 9:16pm
Stuart Barnes DEFINITELY did not bench for Wales. Ring only played for Wales in the 1991 RWC where he was awful (his WAS knackered mind). He was in the Centre for the Twickers 1988 game.
ewbank2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewbank2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2012 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Jonesyboy1000 Jonesyboy1000 wrote:

(1) Phil Bennett
(2) Barry John
(3) Jonathan Davies
(4) Cliff Morgan
(5) David Watkins
(6) Stephen Jones
(7) Neil Jenkins
(8) John Bevan
(9) James Hook
(10) Gareth Davies

All agreed until (8)

8 James Hook
10 John Bevan

It may have been an urban myth, but did Stuart Barnes make the bench for Wales and not get capped? Then went to play for England after being a successful Wales Schoolboy. There was also another urban myth that Tony Ward was born in Cefneithin, but all the records say Dublin. I know it used to wind my Irish mates up a lot, though, if you suggested it.

Stuart Barnes played schoolboy rugby for Waled and was named in the full Welsh squad for the five nations in 79 (i think) but declined to be selected. His autobiography is really interesting. 
Hook in top 10? you are joking?
Scarlets am Byth
Ow! View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ow! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2012 at 9:31pm
I'm astounded nobody has mentioned Adrian Davies or David Evans yet.
Gentlemen, gentlemen, I'll never understand. A world of knowledge at your fingertips, and you play poker all night.

Jonesyboy1000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonesyboy1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2012 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by ewbank2 ewbank2 wrote:

Originally posted by Jonesyboy1000 Jonesyboy1000 wrote:

(1) Phil Bennett
(2) Barry John
(3) Jonathan Davies
(4) Cliff Morgan
(5) David Watkins
(6) Stephen Jones
(7) Neil Jenkins
(8) John Bevan
(9) James Hook
(10) Gareth Davies

All agreed until (8)

8 James Hook
10 John Bevan

Stuart Barnes played schoolboy rugby for Waled and was named in the full Welsh squad for the five nations in 79 (i think) but declined to be selected. His autobiography is really interesting. 
Hook in top 10? you are joking?

I stand corrected on Mr. Ring and will withdraw him from my 10 list.  Hook's an interesting one: extremely highly rated in France and England, but comes in for lots of stick from us Welsh. 
Two sides referee!
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 3:12pm

(1) Phil Bennett
(2) Barry John
(3) Jonathan Davies
(4) Cliff Morgan
(5) David Watkins
(6) Stephen Jones
(7) Neil Jenkins
(8) John Bevan
(9) James Hook
(10) Gareth Davies

If you're going back as far as Cliff Morgan, he should be in front of at least Jiffy ( better player and didn't take the northern penny) and I suspect that he should be followed into the list (and not far behind) by his contempory Carwyn. By all accounts Carwyn was a very very good flyhalf.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic