Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Time For Change.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 39>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2021 at 9:52am
All of us realise that we are never going to have a French style juggernaut pack. What we should have expected and deserved as a minimum on Sunday, in a pack containing 3 returning Welsh front 5 forwards along with two Tongan forwards, a tough South African tight head along with an ex Wales 6 and the most promising 7 probably in Europe, is total comittment, fight and pride to represent the Scarlets.

What we need to see from an attack is an ability to improvise which is needed against current day blitz defences. Look how Finn Russell probes behind defences - those skills can be taught and learnt on the training ground yet we have a 9/10/12 axis that has great difficulty passing to each other properly. I am not singling those guys out for the defeat on Sunday - they never had a chance with the way the front 8 performed but we haven't really seen any sign of a well drilled threequarter line this season let alone innovation. 
Sponsored Links

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2021 at 10:34am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

"When Warren Gatland was asked for his summary of regional rugby's issues before his departure at the end of 2019, he pointed to money being wasted on players rather than going after the very best coaches, staff and facilities. Get that right, get the culture spot on and everything grows from there, was his mantra."

Gatland for sure didn't get everything right but the above sums up rather well the reason why we are swimming in our pool of mediocrity. Start at the top with our investment. We have the facilities, we have the conveyor belt of talent now we need to go after the right coaches, sell them the vision & prepare to be successful. 

Good points... it's striking that in this professional era, Wales have over-achieved (compared to wealth in terms of cash and players) with six 6N championships and 4 grand slams in the 6N period, under Ruddock, Gatland and now Pivac.

At the same time, the clubs and regions have underperformed, overall. No coincidence?
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2021 at 10:36am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

"When Warren Gatland was asked for his summary of regional rugby's issues before his departure at the end of 2019, he pointed to money being wasted on players rather than going after the very best coaches, staff and facilities. Get that right, get the culture spot on and everything grows from there, was his mantra."

Gatland for sure didn't get everything right but the above sums up rather well the reason why we are swimming in our pool of mediocrity. Start at the top with our investment. We have the facilities, we have the conveyor belt of talent now we need to go after the right coaches, sell them the vision & prepare to be successful. 

Good points... it's striking that in this professional era, Wales have over-achieved (compared to wealth in terms of cash and players) with six 6N championships and 4 grand slams in the 6N period, under Ruddock, Gatland and now Pivac.

At the same time, the clubs and regions have underperformed, overall. No coincidence?

Correct Aber its no coincidence. Good coaches make players better; bad coaches give you last Sunday.
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2021 at 11:47am
Some people appear to be relishing the fact we are doing badly by constant belittling of coaches. I have admitted after Sunday I was wrong it is time for change but the players should be ashamed of themselves after the Sale game.
Experienced internationals not appearing to care. It didn’t need Carwyn to turn that game around after 30 mins it should be players like Ken, Jake and Aaron up front to grab hold of the rest and get them to play as if they cared. 
The lack of effort was the sad thing for me the appearance they didn’t care and gave up. Pathetic effort nothing to do with coaching if the desire and passion is not there you can have all the internationals and best coaches in the world you will still get beaten. 
They embarrassed themselves us and the club with that performance. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
Blade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2021 at 12:11pm
I don't think anyone relishes the team we support being piddled on. I can't speak for everyone but I prefer winning trophies, or at the very least watching entertaining rugby. We have the most expensive squad put together in our history and just took our biggest home defeat in history at home, with a team that was out muscled and out thought. Aligned with that we looked like we were clueless in how to change it up. The players were poor no doubt, but we were rudderless. Spanked at home by 50 points twice this year is a total embarrassment. Glenn seems a nice bloke, but he has been a total disaster. 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2021 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Some people appear to be relishing the fact we are doing badly by constant belittling of coaches. I have admitted after Sunday I was wrong it is time for change but the players should be ashamed of themselves after the Sale game.
Experienced internationals not appearing to care. It didn’t need Carwyn to turn that game around after 30 mins it should be players like Ken, Jake and Aaron up front to grab hold of the rest and get them to play as if they cared. 
The lack of effort was the sad thing for me the appearance they didn’t care and gave up. Pathetic effort nothing to do with coaching if the desire and passion is not there you can have all the internationals and best coaches in the world you will still get beaten. 

Cannot disagree with you Why about our senior players. 
PTScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PTScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2021 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by EssexTurk EssexTurk wrote:

Random thought, so shoot me down if you like.
I have a feeling that Delaney and co have lost the dressing room. 
It would go some way to explain why so many of the squad look like they have little interest in games. Even on the few occasions they've torn the opposition apart, they don't seem to be an overly happy squad of players.
During the early days under Wayne, there were defeats, but there was visible progress as things slowly improved. Similarly with Brad's short tenure, there were visible improvements. I've seen nothing during the Delaney era thus far, just a deterioration of discipline and a growing list of diabolical humiliating defeats.
Shopping could be the solution, but there are a few with the understanding of the ethos and expectations of the Scarlet faithful.
My tuppence worth for what it's worth would lead me to approaching Robin McBride and Dwayne Peel. Yes, McBride is contracted to Leinster with potentially a year or so to run on his contract, but it's worth a punt, and you'll never know unless you ask. Peel despite the talk on many boards and publications is comparatively more straight forward. Employment contracts tend to have exit clauses for both parties, and change of circumstances and situations is very likely to yield an exit door, particularly with all that's transpired at the blues recently. 
One thing's for certain, the downward spiral on field at the PYS has to be stopped and changes are needed soon.

I was listening to Pivac on the ScrumV Podcast and even he said during the early days there are certain players who wanted to get him out because they didn't agree with the way he wanted things done. Look how successful we became. 
One eyed turk, nothing more nothing less.
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2021 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by PTScarlet PTScarlet wrote:

It would go some way to explain why so many of the squad look like they have little interest in games. Even on the few occasions they've torn the opposition apart, they don't seem to be an overly happy squad of players.
During the early days under Wayne, there were defeats, but there was visible progress as things slowly improved. Similarly with Brad's short tenure, there were visible improvements. I've seen nothing during the Delaney era thus far, just a deterioration of discipline and a growing list of diabolical humiliating defeats.
Shopping could be the solution, but there are a few with the understanding of the ethos and expectations of the Scarlet faithful.
My tuppence worth for what it's worth would lead me to approaching Robin McBride and Dwayne Peel. Yes, McBride is contracted to Leinster with potentially a year or so to run on his contract, but it's worth a punt, and you'll never know unless you ask. Peel despite the talk on many boards and publications is comparatively more straight forward. Employment contracts tend to have exit clauses for both parties, and change of circumstances and situations is very likely to yield an exit door, particularly with all that's transpired at the blues recently. 
One thing's for certain, the downward spiral on field at the PYS has to be stopped and changes are needed soon.

I was listening to Pivac on the ScrumV Podcast and even he said during the early days there are certain players who wanted to get him out because they didn't agree with the way he wanted things done. Look how successful we became. 

And there are 1000 other coaches who start bad and continue like that. I remember at the beginning of the season, after we lost our first 3 games I think, people saying how in our title season 2016/7, we lost our first 3 games, as if it was a pattern to a good season. Nearly all our wins have been average too. Just not good enough.
Scarlets before Wales
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't blink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2021 at 5:39pm
The rainbow cup is ideal to show us whereabouts we are in terms of the regions seeing as we have derby games coming up first. 
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2021 at 6:35pm
If we can’t beat the other regions with full  then we may as well give up. Ospreys are poor against anyone who turns up, Dragons have improved but still couldn’t get into Europe still have weak underbelly. Don’t buy into Fact Dean Ryan improved them rather WRU improved them with players they have been given. 
Cardiff though having beaten us twice are not greatest though probably have strongest back row in regional rugby. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
mr geraint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr geraint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2021 at 6:42pm
Anyone claiming that Ken doesn’t care has entirely lost the plot.

If Ken is unable to galvanise the players around him, as he has so often before, then it points to systemic problems that go deeper than individual players.

For those kind of problems, you have to look at the coaches.

Rugby is a team sport in which organisation is very important. Individuals cannot just give-it-a-lash if things are going poorly.

They have to change to plan B, C, D or E. They have to fall back on effective, well-established systems.

At the end of the season, these systems should be in place.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2021 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

like it or not part of coaching is man management and motivation. Our coaches like our players failed badly on sunday
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2021 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by PTScarlet PTScarlet wrote:

I was going to ask more about this rumour and exactly what "losing the dressing room" means. If it is senior players deciding not to follow the head coach's gameplan or training methods, which I can imagine if they don't like them or it's been too many losses, then what do they replace them with? If it was Sunday's performance then I can only think their actions are to get the coach sacked. Is that what this rumour really is suggesting because it is a bit hard to believe at present? Or was it to replace with their own gameplan, which clearly didn't work?
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2021 at 7:08pm
Bradley, from Zebre, was nominated as best coach of.the season in pro14.
He for me could be the right profile for our needs. An attacking style that we like and more close to Scarlets way. 
Maybe from next season Zebre will move from Parma to Padova. The CEO of Petrarca Padova, mr. Banzato, would like to.try the pro14 experience amd he is ready to invest some millions of euro, maybe 5. 
So.can happen that with the new club he would change society assett and staff, with their money he can...
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2021 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

He for me could be the right profile for our needs. An attacking style that we like and more close to Scarlets way. 
Maybe from next season Zebre will move from Parma to Padova. The CEO of Petrarca Padova, mr. Banzato, would like to.try the pro14 experience amd he is ready to invest some millions of euro, maybe 5. 
So.can happen that with the new club he would change society assett and staff, with their money he can...
Just checked where Padova is Big smile

Feeling optimistic about travel to matches. Must calm down.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2021 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

Just checked where Padova is Big smile

Feeling optimistic about travel to matches. Must calm down.
Close to Treviso, 2 pro14 teams from Veneto..
For the moment is only a rumor, strong but a rumor 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 39>
  Share Topic